PDA

View Full Version : 2nd edition to Pathfinder, ToEE.

Beelzebub1111
2011-04-25, 08:38 AM
So for an IRC game, I'm doing temple of elemental evil, converting 2nd edition to pathfinder. are there any parts that I should be aware of that would either be too deadly or too easy for a 1st level party? I'm planning on running the whole thing from beginning to end.

McSmack
2011-04-25, 09:32 AM
I've never ran the original ToEE, but I imagine it would be a pain to convert to PF. If you want a similar style you might pick up Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil which was a hefty 3.0/3.5 module that was pretty much a campaign unto itself.

It would be pretty much ready to go out of the box.

GreyMantle
2011-04-25, 05:57 PM
The biggest problem is that ToEE is very much an oldschool module. That is, it's really, really big, there are lots of foes, and the difficulty of any given fight is not necessarily going to be similar to how tough previous foes in that general area were.

3.P also has the problem that, because fights generally take a lot longer to play out than they did in older versions, it will take even longer for your players to accomplish anything.

I have honestly not heard very many good things about RtToEE. But, then again, I have also not heard a lot of praise for the original module. Most accounts I've encountered of people enjoying running/playing it treated the adventure more as a series of loosely connected dungeon forays interspersed with other adventures and such.

But, obviously, YMMV.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-25, 08:52 PM
So for an IRC game, I'm doing temple of elemental evil, converting 2nd edition to pathfinder. are there any parts that I should be aware of that would either be too deadly or too easy for a 1st level party? I'm planning on running the whole thing from beginning to end.

Temple of elemental evil is for 1st level adventurers!? :smalleek:

Ozreth
2011-04-25, 10:11 PM
The biggest problem is that ToEE is very much an oldschool module. That is, it's really, really big, there are lots of foes, and the difficulty of any given fight is not necessarily going to be similar to how tough previous foes in that general area were.

3.P also has the problem that, because fights generally take a lot longer to play out than they did in older versions, it will take even longer for your players to accomplish anything.

I have honestly not heard very many good things about RtToEE. But, then again, I have also not heard a lot of praise for the original module. Most accounts I've encountered of people enjoying running/playing it treated the adventure more as a series of loosely connected dungeon forays interspersed with other adventures and such.

But, obviously, YMMV.

Thats insane that you don't hear good things about it. I always hear it mentioned right up there with Tomb of Horrors, Ravenloft, and Borderlands. Dragon magazine ranked it the 4th greatest d&d adventure of all time in 2004. Not that you've got to agree with their list, just saying.

Temple of elemental evil is for 1st level adventurers!? :smalleek:

Yeah level 1-8.