PDA

View Full Version : Net and Trident : TWF ?

Rosarius
2011-04-25, 11:43 AM
Hey guys,

I tried to min/max a really cool character this afternoon : a Scout using Net and Trident (feat from CW). I was happy with the build, but after reading it again, I just FORGOT why I decided to take ITWF and GTWF. I mean, it seemed me very clear before I did the build but now... god I'm getting old.

Here's the build, I'll create another topic to make it better.

Scout 1 ExWP (net), Weapon focus (trident), combat reflexes, Jotunbrund
Scout 2
Scout 3 Hold the line
Scout 4 Dodge
Swashbuckler 1 Weapon Finesse
Ranger 1 Karmic Strike
Ranger 2 TWF
Fighter 1 Net and Trident
Fighter 2 Stand Still, Mobility
Ranger 3 Endurance
Ranger 4
Ranger 5 Sidestep
Ranger 6 ITWF
Ranger 7
Ranger 8 Robilar's Gambit
Ranger 9
Ranger 10
Ranger 11 GTWF, Swift Hunter
Ranger 12
Ranger 13

This build focus around being able to do a 5 ft. step, throw the net, do another 5 ft. step and full attack with the triden. All this sequence is a single AoO. Excuse my english :smallmad:

Thanks in advance!

Rosarius
2011-04-25, 04:12 PM
Any idea? I don't remember what's the point of having TWF with this kind of build, as my full attack only uses my trident.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-04-26, 06:15 AM
Any idea? I don't remember what's the point of having TWF with this kind of build, as my full attack only uses my trident.

Is throwing the net an attack roll? You would need the TWF feats to avoid hefty penalties if it counts as throwing an offhand weapon.

Edit; reading the feat It seems like you'd need to be two weapon fighting, throwing the net and attacking with the trident are taking place in the same action so TWF penalties would apply.

Whammydill
2011-04-26, 07:07 AM
Are you drawing a weapon to attack with in your offhand after you throw the net? If not then those feats are doing you no good. You can draw a weapon as part of your move action with a +1 or better BAB. Or you can fit quick-draw in there if you REALLY want to I'm sure. Of course this gets into the "what kind of action can you take during an AoO" rules lawyering.

Jack Zander
2011-04-26, 12:20 PM
If you are holding both weapons in both your hands, you can easily throw your net from your main hand, then switch your trident from your off hand to your main hand for free (removing a hand from a weapon or placing a hand on a weapon you are already holding is a free action, or maybe even a non-action).

ericgrau
2011-04-26, 12:24 PM
The net is also a touch attack so there are a lot of ways to work around TWF. Heck you can put off net proficiency for a while even.

Vourge
2011-06-06, 01:01 PM
You need TWF to get the Net and Trident feat from the Complete Warrior.

Darrin
2011-06-06, 01:37 PM

If you have armor/netcutter spikes or Improved Unarmed Strike, you can use that as your offhand weapon.

If you can draw another trident as a free action (Least Crystal of Return or Glove of the Master Strategist), you can take Oversize TWF and attack with two tridents.

Improved TWF can be picked up via Gloves of the Balanced Hand (8000 GP, MIC). Greater TWF... may not be worth it, but if you're in for a penny might as well go in for the pound.

If you go for Dragonborn of Bahumat, you can swap one of your not-so-useful feats (Track or Endurance) for Dragon Tail, which lets you add a tail attack to your full attack as a secondary natural weapon.

Vladislav
2011-06-06, 02:03 PM
Both EWP and Weapon Focus require BAB +1, so you can't take them as a level 1 Scout.