PDA

View Full Version : Cunning Strike [3.5]

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-25, 12:25 PM
I've got two questions about the Factotum class feature.

1.) Does the Sneak Attack last until the end of the encounter?
2.) Is it possible to spend additional Inspiration points to get a better Sneak Attack?

Thanks in advance for your answers.

Forged Fury
2011-04-25, 12:35 PM
1. The text implies that SA from Cunning Strike only effects a single attack roll.

2. According to Mike Mearls, Lead Developer for Dungeonscape, the answer is yes (https://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ask/20070412a).

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-25, 12:45 PM
Okay, then I guess I have a potential one-hit encounter ender... my Factotum 9 has 20 Inspiration points, so SA 20d6 combined with a Wraithstrike... pretty much a sure hit, and the opponent should be at least severely wounded.

Doc Roc
2011-04-25, 12:49 PM
Okay, then I guess I have a potential one-hit encounter ender... my Factotum 9 has 20 Inspiration points, so SA 20d6 combined with a Wraithstrike... pretty much a sure hit, and the opponent should be at least severely wounded.

Damage is damage, hitting is the hard part, even with wraithstrike. Wstrike is a darn good start though. :)

true_shinken
2011-04-25, 12:54 PM

Then your opponent uses Abjurant Jaunt, Wings of Cover or Walls of Blades and you have nothing left to give.
Also, your using Wraithstrike from a wand, right?

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-25, 12:55 PM
Well, if I manage to get a successful surprise attack (quite likely thanks to Brains over Brawn and high Dex+Int) or feint, the opponent will also be flat-footed. At level 9, a flat-footed touch attack ignores pretty much all of the opponent's remarkable AC boni.

Forged Fury
2011-04-25, 12:55 PM
There probably should be a level cap somewhere in there, but the whole class is written somewhat inexactly (for instance, try to figure out exactly how Opportunistic Piety works. Touch? Range? AoO?). With Font of Inspiration abuse, you can get it somewhere around 65d6 or so.

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-25, 12:58 PM
I'm trying to not go THAT much over the top... and I don't think I'll even really use the trick, it was merely a thought exercise and clarification of how the class feature works.