PDA

View Full Version : Out of Body Experiences and related sundries

polity4life
2011-04-25, 01:36 PM
Hello everyone,

In this thread, we can discuss the various stages of out of body experiences (OBEs) from their genesis to their conclusion in general and on a personal level. We can explore some basic questions about OBEs: What are they? How do they happen? What are they like? Is it weird that I have had one? We can also share our experiences with them and try to learn more through civil discourse.

Before I kick start things, I'm going to lay out some baselines rules:

1) Please observe the laws of the land as laid out by the Giant and the Moderators. The laws are there with cause. They are reasonable and they allow us to discuss a wide range of topics openly and respectfully. This is a great, mature community so let's keep proving that quality.

2) This topic certainly opens itself up to the discussion of substance use as they can evoke an OBE. In the spirit of following the rules laid out and to avoid a gray area, please refrain from sharing experiences induced chemically even if the substance was obtained legally and taken in doses as prescribed by a physician.

3) This topic also affords the opportunity for a tangent into religion which can quickly spiral out of control. This discussion is not about spirit walking or the soul. This is a discussion on personal experiences of a phenomena that has been studied in the scientific community and on the findings and theories of said community.

So to the fun part! In order for us to have a discussion on OBEs we first need to define an OBE. An OBE then is an experience where one feels a sensation of floating or flying and actively perceives the environment, including one’s own body, from a place away from his or her body. Essentially, your focus of sensory inputs is separated from your body.

These experiences can be induced through numerous means. Some may incur naturally during phases of sleep while others could occur due to mechanical inducement, such as listening to particular sounds or resting in a sensory deprivation chamber. Meditation has also been known to induce an OBE. OBEs are also known to happen during near-death experiences. There’s quite a bit on the web about these phenomena and I suggest that, if you’re interested, you take advantage of those resources to learn more.

From what I have read, OBEs have a respectable prevalence within a few tests that I've found in the literature (Charlottesville, VA and Bristol, UK); where upwards of 1 in 10 people have reported an experience once in their lifetime. As these are self-reported findings, they must be taken with a grain of salt. However, they still have value in that some people do have OBEs. Is it weird to that you have experienced an OBE? Not at all, though the experience itself may be weird.

What happens during an OBE? The only real way to find out is to experience it. Although some have described their forays, the most profound are those witnessed by yourself.

I remember my first and only "experience" distinctly. I went to bed listening to a pink noise track on my mp3 player that I set to repeat. At some point in the evening, something woke me up (either my girlfriend or our obnoxious, overweight cat). Upon waking, I knew immediately something was different; my body was absolutely drained by my mind was very keen and aware in a very particular manner. I wasn’t experiencing my normal rush of random thoughts and tangents. My mind was clear and focused, which is a very rare experience for me in and of itself. I lay back down, checked my mp3 player, closed my eyes, and started to actively envision the ceiling above me, where the wall meets, where the window is on the wall, etc. What felt like seconds that passed could have been longer but black gave way to a view of my ceiling, as though I were looking through a wide, short tube. That’s when I started to feel a floating sensation. I could visibly see the ceiling, window sill, and molding come closer. As soon as I grasped that I felt this huge rush of elation which was quickly followed by a violent vibration and noise, as though a jack hammer was battering the world. The experience quickly shifted into one of free fall, which felt to be less than a second. I felt like I was slammed into my bed. I sat up, thought to myself, “Holy crap! That was awesome!” and went back to sleep.

As I stated above, I have yet to repeat that experience. With it being my only exposure and after having read somewhat on the topic, I'm left to wonder if it was merely a lucid dream on something I had taken in recently. I have been trying to replicate the circumstances without any success.

So what about you? Have you had an OBE? Have any questions or want to talk about them?

Sipex
2011-04-25, 02:42 PM
I have not, which is unfortunate, but I've always been facinated by the idea.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-04-25, 04:05 PM
Lots of people have OBEs. The Queen hands them out every year, and over 100,000 people have one...

Oh, out of body experiences? Can't help you then. :smallwink:

Asthix
2011-04-25, 04:22 PM
I'll play the skeptic. Do I have memories of being weirded out because I saw myself in my dream? Yes. In fact, numerous dreams from my childhood involved me realizing I was dreaming and employing a technique to wake myself up. Closing my eyes, counting slowly to three and then opening them again. I was always fascinated that my tactile perception would not change in any way. It was as if I was physically transported to my bedroom. (and the atmospheric sensations from the dream would only wear off gradually) So OBE's in the context of dreaming never seemed very dramatic to me. Probably because I had, despite the lucidity of my dreams, knowledge that they were separate from reality. So why should being outside of my body in a dream be that important?

Ok. Skeptic time. With all that said, based on what I've learned lately about memory and humanity's capacity to shape it, I cannot be at all sure that these memories (of OBE's during dreaming) are not a complete fabrication from having watched too many Unsolved Mysteries episodes as a kid. (My favorite show until Rescue 911) Based on recent research, things that people wish they did, or are common knowledge that 'only a few experience this phenomena,' especially ones which are unproven, are likely to simply be fabricated memories.

Now, I'm not suggesting that your case was one of them, or trying to say that OBE's do not exist. Merely trying to shed light on an important point regarding the skeptical point of view regarding this issue.

I will also say that I have had about eighteen surgeries involving anesthetization and never experienced any unusual mental phenomena associated with them.

LaZodiac
2011-04-25, 04:29 PM
From my understanding of how this all works, you can kinda get the same feeling by cutting off your circulation,then touching the area that has lost circulation.

I slightly recall having SOMETHING like this, where my body was not under control. I woke up and it felt like I was sucking my tongue into my throat, though instantly I got up and started coughing, so maybe it's not similiar.

Dvandemon
2011-04-25, 05:31 PM
The closet to OBE I can say is the multiple times I wake up still in a deep stage of sleep, like stage 4 or 5. Sometimes, when I am asleep, I see myself lying on the bed and my whole room, sometimes it feels like I never closed my eyes

Lord Loss
2011-04-25, 08:08 PM
I fainted surfboarding once. Had a dream type thing of myself in a gigantic body of water (far deeper than the one I was in). I've heard they're a type of hallucination/dream - thing, nothing more. The OBE lasted only a few seconds before I woke up.

Dvandemon
2011-04-25, 11:39 PM
That last part about your eyes is exactly how I felt afterward. I questioned myself about my eyes and if I ever closed them. Unfortunately, I don't know. But it did seem like I was perceiving my surroundings as though my eyes were open.

You may have experienced one after all.

Then maybe I should practice Astral Projection, since it comes so easily to me.

LaZodiac
2011-04-25, 11:42 PM
Sensory deprivation can foment an OBE experience, so it is said. I wonder if touching an area of your body that is asleep is a proper analog. Do you remember where you heard or read that?

I didn't actually read or hear it anywhere, just a guess from expierance, touching myself while trying to get the blood flowing again.

Zaydos
2011-04-25, 11:52 PM
I didn't actually read or hear it anywhere, just a guess from expierance, touching myself while trying to get the blood flowing again.

I have heard it, though, but I don't remember where. Also heard it in conjunction with phantom limb syndrome. I remember when my hand was numbed after surgery I could still feel my fingers moving even though they weren't... I even could receive some limited tactile sensations from things they would have been touching until I looked down and realized my fingers hadn't moved.

Deth Muncher
2011-04-26, 12:00 AM
I did, one time. I was probably...five? Of course, it's entirely attributable to dreaming, BUT:

I had a big problem when I was a kid with rolling off my bed. This one time, as I was about to roll off the bed, I suddenly woke up, and was conscious of not only seeing a blurry blue/white version of me hovering above me as I was about to fall, but also from the vantage point of said blurry me looking at regular me falling. Then I hit the ground and everything snapped back together.

Ravens_cry
2011-04-26, 04:35 AM
My mother has claimed to have had an Out of Body experience. With all due respect to Mum, I think dreaming or a similar mechanism is the most plausible explanation. They did a study where they put TV screens only visible from above in operating theatres where people were having surgeries where they had their heart stopped momentarily. Many reported OoB experiences, but none could apparently say what was on the screens.

polity4life
2011-04-26, 07:13 AM
Big blanket reply attempt number 2:

To Asthix:
An OBE doesn't occur within a dream. It is something other than a dream. Lucid dreaming and OBE's do not happen during the same stage of sleep. The former are more related to REM sleep while the latter is a bit more sporatic.

As for the skepticism, I understand it and I welcome it. Like I said, I am not sure if what I experienced was an OBE or a lucid dream since I had been pondering upon and reading about it lately. Also, as I said, the only evidence one can produce is a self-report. That kind of data collection vehicle is rife with bias. However based on the literature I've found on APHA and from some of the writings of Robert Monroe, what I did experience could be called an OBE. Until I replicate that, I won't know for certain.

I think we can agree that the mind is a powerful thing. If it is powerful enough to forge memories of events that never transpired, maybe it's powerful enough to do something even more remarkable.

To LaZodiac:
Sensory deprivation can foment an OBE experience, so it is said. I wonder if touching an area of your body that is asleep is a proper analog. Do you remember where you heard or read that?

To Dvandemon:
That last part about your eyes is exactly how I felt afterward. I questioned myself about my eyes and if I ever closed them. Unfortunately, I don't know. But it did seem like I was perceiving my surroundings as though my eyes were open.

You may have experienced one after all.