PDA

View Full Version : Ways to throttle up my jump check?

Hirax
2011-04-25, 02:36 PM
Before I ink down too much on my dragonborn battle jumper, I was curious what the best way for me to ratchet my jump check up to insane levels would be? I'd like to be able to hit 60+ reliably so I can battle jump most large monsters. 100+ is probably out of the question, but wouldn't it be fun to be able to vault a storm giant with 5 foot clearance, even just for fun to impress strangers? :smallbiggrin:

So far I have a +10 racial bonus from wings, 13 ranks for the feat, an undecided strength mod (go ahead and assume +10), and an undecided bonus going towards a magic item.

Stevielash
2011-04-25, 02:38 PM
Try and fluff a masterwork tool of jump maybe, thats honestly my best suggestion along with finding someone to cast jump on you.

Flickerdart
2011-04-25, 02:40 PM
Speed boosts are an easy way to get a bonus. A wand of Expeditious Retreat gets you +12 to Jump. The actual Jump spell is a +30 enhancement bonus. 13 skill ranks. 10 wings bonus. 10 Strength bonus. +2 for masterwork tool. +3 for skill focus. That's +80 right there.

CTrees
2011-04-25, 02:47 PM
Try and fluff a masterwork tool of jump maybe, thats honestly my best suggestion along with finding someone to cast jump on you.

Masterwork Moonshoes.

MammonAzrael
2011-04-25, 02:59 PM
The Leaping Dragon Stance is great, as it adds +10 feet (not +10 to the check, but to distance!), and you're always considered to have a running start. So the Run feat is a solid option.

Also, look up the Jumplomancer, there should be plenty of jump-related boosts in those threads.

Hirax
2011-04-25, 03:04 PM
The Leaping Dragon Stance is great, as it adds +10 feet (not +10 to the check, but to distance!), and you're always considered to have a running start. So the Run feat is a solid option.

Also, look up the Jumplomancer, there should be plenty of jump-related boosts in those threads.

I love you. In a way totally appropriate for someone I just met on a forum.

Roland St. Jude
2011-04-25, 03:05 PM
Leap of the Heavens from PHBII is sick for jumpers. Eliminates the need for a running start plus a bonus to the check.

MammonAzrael
2011-04-25, 03:06 PM
:smallbiggrin: Glad I could help. The Tiger Claw discipline really gives a lot of love to Jump. Sudden Leap is another terrific maneuver for using your jump check.

subject42
2011-04-25, 03:34 PM
If you can burn a level for warlock, you can take the leaps and bounds invocation that will net you a +6 to jump, balance, and tumble checks.

subject42
2011-04-25, 03:44 PM
Shaping the landshark boots soulmeld (MoI) will also get you a +4 competence bonus on jump checks.

Telonius
2011-04-25, 07:37 PM
Speed: +4 untyped bonus for each 10 beyond 30
Tumble skill: +2 synergy bonus to Jump
Acrobatic feat: +2 untyped bonus to Jump
Run feat: +4 untyped bonus to Jump
Expeditious Retreat: +30 feet (enhancement) to movement = +12* Jump
Monk: +60 feet (enhancement) to movement speed = +24* to Jump
Boots of Striding: +10 (enhancement) to speed = +4 to Jump, +5 Competence to Jump
Jump spell: +30 enhancement (at CL9)
Masterwork Tool (pole for pole vaulting?) = +2 Circumstance bonus

So, Monk20 with 23 ranks, +10Str, Run feat, Acrobatic feat, 5 ranks Tumble, wearing Boots of Striding, under the effects of the Jump spell, using a MW tool... I believe that would be +78.

And that's just using a quick glance at Core. You can probably squeeze more out of it if you want to.

* - I believe this is untyped, but am not certain about that. If it's an Enhancement bonus to Jump, it won't stack with the Jump spell (and you can ignore Monk for the optimization).

Flickerdart
2011-04-25, 08:30 PM
Monk's speed boost is enhancement and doesn't stack with Expeditious Retreat.

gorfnab
2011-04-25, 08:50 PM
Here is a handbook that may help: Little Red Raiding Hood (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7200.0)

Telonius
2011-04-25, 09:04 PM
Monk's speed boost is enhancement and doesn't stack with Expeditious Retreat.

Correct - I was just listing the bonuses in Core that I could find. +78 doesn't include Expeditious Retreat at all.

Popertop
2011-04-25, 09:08 PM
Speed boosts are an easy way to get a bonus. A wand of Expeditious Retreat gets you +12 to Jump. The actual Jump spell is a +30 enhancement bonus. 13 skill ranks. 10 wings bonus. 10 Strength bonus. +2 for masterwork tool. +3 for skill focus. That's +80 right there.

If he slaps a +20 untyped magic item on there, it's +100

Axinian
2011-04-25, 09:36 PM
It's 3.0 so it might not be valid, but in the Arms and Armament Guide there's the Halberd of Vaulting, which gives a +30 to jump checks.

The Dark Fiddler
2011-04-25, 09:40 PM

Masterwork Moonshoes.

More seriously, a pole vault pole could work.

Hirax
2011-04-25, 09:47 PM
Since this is for combat usage (battle jump feat, Unapproachable East), boots are probably the only possibility. Trying to write up the build right now.

Hirax
2011-04-26, 12:48 AM
Alrighty, I've never dabbled much into ToB, so I'm not too sure if I'm doing this right. I only want to dip into 1 level of warblade if possible. But the requirement for leaping dragon is to be a level 3 warblade. However, the martial stance feat says that, "your martial adept level for using this maneuver is equal to your levels in martial adept classes (if any) + 1/2 your levels in other classes)." So could I be level 5, with only 1 level of warblade, and use the martial stance feat to get leaping dragon?

*Typo? shouldn't that be stance, not maneuver?

Firechanter
2011-04-26, 07:56 AM
Stances also count as maneuvers, for instance for meeting prerqs.

Your Initiator Level is indeed your martial adept (e.g. Warblade) levels + 1/2 all other levels.

_However_, your first level in a martial adept class explicitly gives you a 1st level stance, no matter what your IL might be.

If you don't want to work in 4 levels of Warblade to get the second stance, you might work in the Martal Stance feat instead.

[Personally, I think that the stance progressions are an unnecessary weak point in the ToB. For no good reason all single-classed adepts are forced to take two not-so-great 1st level stances, while stances that technically become available at 5th class level are delayed to level 8-10. You're almost forced to multiclass, despite one of ToB's aim being to make massive multiclassing unnecessary for melees.
Stupid and illogical. It's like saying to a Sorcerer "Sure, Fly is a 3rd level spell, but you can't take it before level 9 nonetheless."
In my game, I allow to delay the acquisition of a Stance.]