PDA

View Full Version : An idea: Casting Defensively requires a Bluff check

Veyr
2011-04-25, 03:28 PM
I'm curious what people think of this idea: Casting Defensively requires a Bluff check rather than a Concentration check. It makes sense to me, and suddenly the presence of Bluff on the Sorcerer skill list and not on the Wizard skill list makes a big difference. Thoughts?

Shadowleaf
2011-04-25, 05:06 PM
It's not that big of a difference - A Wizard should never find himself in melee, unless he is properly prepared with miss chance and higher AC.

Veyr
2011-04-25, 05:13 PM
True, though I was thinking at the lowest levels where there are fewer options available to the Wizard and cross-class ranks won't be sufficient to hit the DC every time. But you're probably right... Even at 3rd level, Glitterdust will stop AoOs anyway.

Jack_Simth
2011-04-25, 05:17 PM
True, though I was thinking at the lowest levels where there are fewer options available to the Wizard and cross-class ranks won't be sufficient to hit the DC every time. But you're probably right... Even at 3rd level, Glitterdust will stop AoOs anyway.
The follow-up would, of course, be to make it an opposed check. Bluff vs. Sense Motive. That way, it's not a static DC, it's a DC dependent on the person you're avoiding.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-25, 05:47 PM
That would make sense if casting defensively meant you were trying to trick the opponent into thinking you weren't casting at all. Which it doesn't.

What casting defensively actually involves is concentrating on two things at once (casting your spell, and not leaving yourself open to attack). Thus, the Concentration check.

This rule is fine and doesn't need to be changed.

EDIT: If you're trying to nerf Wizards, the best way would be to rewrite their spells.

ericgrau
2011-04-25, 06:34 PM
http://mongolian-tiger.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/.pond/kujiin.jpg.w300h225.jpg
Invokus Magicus Infernus!

Uh... no, I'm not casting a spell, I'm brushing up on my latin draconic... while scratching a really complicated series of itches.

As for the balance thing it seems like a needlessly complicated way to do it. Give wizards a -4 to concentration and call it a day. Or increase all the DCs by 4 and give sorcerers a +4 if the fluff for that rubs you the wrong way.