PDA

View Full Version : A Labor of Blood IC

Perducci
2011-04-25, 05:47 PM
*Evening*

Another day in Bloodsmith begins winding down. Craftsmen close their shops as mothers begin herding their reluctant children back to their homes. The trading caravan that pulled into town a few hours ago is unloading it's wares into a tent in preparation for tomorrow's sale.

A bell begins to ring in the town center as a half-elf steps forward and begins calling names for tonight's supplement to the watch. Julius calls each name in his clear, thunderous voice and pierces each with his glare as if to say "mess around tonight and I"LL kill you..."

...and for the south wall-eastern side. Malvius, Cliff and Abura....

The list of names continues for a few minutes more. Report to your stations just prior of sunset. I'll be making the rounds as usual tonight. Bilrog! Are you listening? If I catch your flabby carcass with drink upon my walls I'll lash you til sunup! Don't try me! Julius spins on his heel and heads away, his well-known blood stained blue cape trailing behind him.

The crowd disperses with sighs and laughs of the lucky and the grumbles of the less fortunate. One of the regular guards rounds up tonight's additions and lets them know they've got enough time to gather anything they might need for tonight before sundown.

ShadowySilence
2011-04-25, 06:53 PM
Cliff grumbles and cusses under his breath. He swore he wouldn't openly break the law when he joined up with Gilgalgo, and even though he normally didn't care much about keeping an oath he would rather work a night on the wall than be thrown over it. Mari is sitting on the roof of a nearby building looking as nonchalant as a raven can be. They couldn't be seen together during the day, too many rumors could be started that way.

Cliff only half listens to the soldier's little speech, something about getting all required supplies for the night. He had everything he needed with him at all times, better to be prepared for anything than be caught unawares. He looks to see if anyone is following him before heading off towards the East Wall.

Reb46
2011-04-26, 03:36 AM
Malvius waits impatiently until the end of the speech without actually listening to what Julius said after his name. Yet another day without any kind of action...

Anyway he has learned to respect Julius and so decides to do what he said all the same and goes towards the south wall, now wondering if he knew any of his mates, but he couldn't remember who Julius had called.

ellna
2011-04-26, 04:36 AM
Abura hears her name ring out across the evening and her gut sinks. She was no fighter. sure, her hands rested calmly on a fine pair blades hanging at her hip. She knew she lacked the courage. No it wasn't that it was just she lacked the stupidity to blindly charge into an abyss. Fear was a constant necessity of the world she lived in. Her face a mask she silently prayed that nothing would happen. Not tonight, not on her watch.

Training and obedience led her feet to plod one foot after the other up to the south wall eastern side. Her face a solid wall against her emotions. Fear that boiled so close to the surface.

Perducci
2011-04-26, 08:32 AM
The sky begins to slowly darken as everyone on the watch makes way to the walls. The section of wall you have been posted upon is on one side of the town's main gate. In Bloodsmith's history, this has been the point of several near breaches, but nothing catastrophic so far. Resting at several spots along the base of the wall are weapon caches. They're filled mostly with long spears and javelins, but a few arrows and other melee weapons can be found as well. The gear is mostly donated items that has seen many years of wear and tear.

All right everyone. Look sharp. I think I see something out there.

Reb46
2011-04-26, 09:54 AM
Malvius checks the weapon caches, looking for something specifically (see OOC), if he finds them he'll pick them up else he'll just scowl and carry on to the wall.

As another guard calls out the presence of something out of place, he looks around carefully, quite happy for the break in the guard-duty's boredom.

ellna
2011-04-26, 10:05 AM
Abura grabs a stack of javelins and jogs over to guard that called out. Clambering onto the wall beside him she neatly places the javelins within easy reach. She peers out into the thickening darkness searching for a sign of what he saw, holding a javelin ready to throw in case it isn't just his idle imaginings.

Lyndworm
2011-04-26, 08:57 PM
Marl, too, readies himself for battle. Leaning on a spear, he gazes over the wall.

ShadowySilence
2011-04-26, 09:47 PM
Cliff was one of the first up on the wall not caring much for the company of others and not feeling a need to look through the caches, he trots over to a more secluded part of wall and starts to juggle the lead bullets for his sling hoping to pass the time. Mari lands at his side soon after this and whispers "Lucky Julius didn't recognize yer name, he'd av'e stringed you up then and there instead of sending ya over ere' ta sit and juggle."

Cliff smiles, always welcoming his best friend's presence "And your lucky I keep you around, what with all the trouble you cause me."

"Hey, that shopkeeper was rippin' you off and I couldn't just let em' git away with it!"

Cliff laughs lightly "I know you mean well, and thanks, he did deserve a nice pecking."

When the alert was given of movement Cliff jumped a little and peered over the wall at the ground below, silently hoping he wouldn't have to face the reapers a second time...

Spot Check: [roll0]

Perducci
2011-04-26, 11:03 PM
As people gather on the wall to make out the form in the distance, Cliff can make out in the dim light the shape of a dog running toward Bloodsmith. Several others begin to recognize this as well, but not before the sharp twang of a few bows resonate through the chilling air.

A yelp pierces the din of the murmurs.

"Just a wild dog..." A man says loudly. More dark shapes begin to swirl about it as the night quickly sets in. "Must a been a pack of 'em..."

Julius springs to the wall. Shut up you fools. He peers intently into the distance and grunts. They come.

More and more appear as a swirling in the darkness. From all sides, they begin to swarm in circles around the walls. Those gifted with sight in the dark begin to throw a few javelins...only to be stopped by the town guardsmen. " This is as thick as I've seen them. Save those for later..."

Julius gives a nod to his left and right and a line of flickering torches are lit around the walls casting light onto the approaching Reapers. The ones affectionately called Grubs are the only to be seen. The dog-sized armless bipeds chitter incessantly. Keep the Grubs off the gate. Save missiles for any greater threats you spot.

Fortunately the town's only weakness is it's thick iron gate. Unfortunately, it is located right beneath this section of wall. From the opposite wall comes a cry of pain. "Julius, we have some Spitters over here!" The veteran guard gives one last order before running around the wall...

Hold the wall!

The assault begins in earnest as seemingly countless Grubs begin to slam into the gate, biting and swinging their spiked tails at it relentlessly. Bilrog pulls a small flask from his boot and drains it before hefting his spear and trudging over to the gate's peak.

ellna
2011-04-27, 06:49 AM
Abura Grabs a spear from somewhere and runs to join the defenders. She violently thrusts it at the grubs as they batter against the gate.

[roll0][roll1]

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 06:51 AM
Grabbing one of the longer spears lying about, Marl stabs at the nearest of the the creatures. "You'll not take another home from me, beast!"

Move action to grab the longspear, Standard action to attack.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

If the creature has any arcane spells or SLAs then the damage is two points higher.

ShadowySilence
2011-04-27, 07:25 AM
Cliff gapes at the countless grubs swarming the walls, "Not again..." He picks up a nearby spear and tries to jab it at the grubs swarming around the gate.

Move action to grab spear on his way to gate, and then attacking the grubs.

Attack Roll: [roll0]

Put damage roll in OOC, it won't let me edit in a roll for some reason.

Reb46
2011-04-27, 07:32 AM
Malvius hid the dagger in his left boot

Malvius grins as he sees a threat coming, looking forward to enjoy the small battle about to begin, he then moves to the edge of the wall to slash one of the creatures with his trusty guisarme while instinctively following what he had been taught.

Swift action to activate Punishing Stance (+1d6 damage, -2 AC)
Standard action to attack:
Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage if hit: [roll1] + [roll2]

Perducci
2011-04-27, 08:56 AM
At first, it seems as though the defense can only prod and poke the Grubs back. Abura's spear is almost ripped away by a Grub's bite. The banging on the gate is nonstop.

Malvious seems to be the only lucky one. His polearm nearly splits one in half as it crushes it into the ground. A piercing shriek, like a hawks cry being made by scraping metal, emits from its maw. Several Grubs pause to consume the fallen.

Reb46
2011-04-27, 12:05 PM
Malvius taunts the mosters after killing one: "Want some more? I'm right here! He then looks at the ones eating the dead and takes advantage of this to strike.
If two Grubs are in range, Malvius executes the Steel Wind maneuver, else he'll just attack the nearest one.
First attack roll: [roll0]
First damage: [roll1] + [roll2]
Second attack roll: [roll3]
Second damage: [roll4] + [roll5]

ellna
2011-04-27, 12:09 PM
Abura stabs carefully at another grub. Trying to not lose the weapon to the vile creatures.

[roll0][roll1]

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 12:20 PM
Marl curses under his breath and jabs once more at the disgusting little monster.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

If the grub has arcane spells or SLAs, the damage is increased by two points.

ShadowySilence
2011-04-27, 08:05 PM
Cliff jabs again grunting furiously. These monsters, no these abominations are the reason why his every waking moment is composed of fear and nightmare just like his dreams.

Attack: [roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

Perducci
2011-04-27, 08:46 PM
Once again, Mavious's weapon fells another foe. Abura has a little luck as well piercing a Grub right through the head. It shrieks and falls back into the swarming behind it.

A much deeper and ferocious cry is heard as an orc sized Reaper begins to smash its way through the Grubs. It's smaller brethren fling itself into the great gate, now more frenzied. The gate begins to clang loudly upon its hinges.

"IF THE GATE FALLS, WE ALL SHALL!" A guard atop the wall inhales deeply to spur the forces on more, but thick liquid covers his face and torso before any words can be formed. He falls to the ground writhing. Thin wisps of vapor curl off of his struggling body as his armor dissolves and his skin begins to melt off.

The town bell begins to ring loudly. Julius is furiously tugging its rope and waving his sword madly. ARISE! ARISE! OUR HOUR IS AT HAND! BLOODSMITH WAS BUILT SLICK WITH OUR BLOOD! SO SHALL IT FALL...ARISE!

ShadowySilence
2011-04-28, 05:52 PM
Cliff is struck with an odd, dangerous, but potentially life saving idea. He quickly grabs one of the small lead bullets he would normally use for his sling. He then backs away from the battle pretending to be slightly wounded and down to the bottom of the wall, checking to see if anyone followed him or can see him.

Spot Check: [roll0]

ellna
2011-04-28, 06:29 PM
Abura hears the shout ring out across. "Not my blood. Not today." and slightly quieter "Not if I can help it" She Stabs again at the horrors swarming the gate.

[roll0][roll1]

Lyndworm
2011-04-29, 02:12 AM
Frustrated at missing so very often, the hunter shouts "Begone from this place, foul creature!" Once more, Marl stabs at the reapers before him.

Standard attack, again.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

ShadowySilence
2011-04-29, 07:27 AM
Cliff motions to Mari to follow him and continues on into a more shadowy part of an alley. There he explained his plan quickly to her...

"Ok, so I thought how these things are so drawn to magic right. Well, if I can make one of my bullets appear enchanted they might just follow it. This is where you come in, and it might get a bit dangerous. I want you to fly the bullet as far as you can away from this town, but if it gets too dangerous drop it and come back. Can you do this?"

Mari replies tentatively "I b'lieve so, a'though it won' be fun."

Cliff pulls a small square piece of silk from his compartment of supplies and passes it over the bullet while chanting quietly. He then presses his hand onto the bullet and a burst of energy from deep within him transferrs to the small leaden object.

"Now hurry, I don't know how long the gates will last." He hesitates slightly before she takes the stone "And, please say safe... for my sake and yours." And with that Mari was off, over the gate watching carefully for the possible spitter projectiles.

Cliff begins to return to the wall.

Reb46
2011-04-29, 07:33 AM
Malvius simply ignores the larger creature, continuing his killing spree.

Damage roll: [roll1] + [roll2]

Perducci
2011-04-30, 04:39 PM
Malvius ends the wretched life of yet another Grub. Marl impales another on his spear. The creature gets stuck upon it momentarily before wriggling off the tip like a fish from a hook.

The larger Reaper folds its arms flat against its body and crashes headfirst into the gate. A large dent is inflicted. The Reaper rears back again, but before it strikes it turns around and runs away with a group of Grubs trailing. Only a dozen or so remain at the gate squirming to widen a gap between the ground and the gate caused by the iron bending.

ellna
2011-04-30, 04:51 PM
Abura snatches up a javelin and flings at the reaper. "Leave that gate alone you vile deformity."

[roll0][roll1]

ShadowySilence
2011-04-30, 05:40 PM
Cliff arrives back at the top of the wall and breathes a silent sigh of relief, seeing some of those monsters follow the bait. Maybe this wasn't such a bad idea after all!

Reb46
2011-05-01, 04:32 AM
Malvius hears footsteps from behind him and turns around to check if any Reaper has managed to get in the city but he quickly notices that the noise was made by one of the defenders climbing the stairs. I shouldn't have let myself be distracted by such a little nuisance!
He then angrily attacks another Grub.
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Lyndworm
2011-05-01, 04:42 AM
"Die already, filth-bringer!" Again, Marl stabs at the horde.

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

ShadowySilence
2011-05-01, 09:03 AM
Cliff joins back with the others, jabbing the spear into the shifting mass.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Perducci
2011-05-02, 06:29 PM
The Grubs seem to be getting better at avoiding the prodding spears. Only every now and then does one actually get stuck. One of them lodges itself in the gate's small breach and kicks and wriggles, flinging dirt everywhere.

A guard runs down to the gate and stabs it through its head. He pulls back his grime covered spear and turns in a pose to those behind him. As he does, a Grub tail flicks through the opening and nicks his knee. The guard quickly spins to run another foe through. This time he steps back from the hole to gloat, but he falters in his step and stumbles prone. Only a few feet behind him, the Grubs work to widen the gap to reach their prey.

ShadowySilence
2011-05-02, 06:59 PM
OOC- Rolls to see if Cliff notices the gate being opened at all (since he is in the mid of battle, and watching the horde):

Listen:
[roll0]

Spot:
[roll1]

Lyndworm
2011-05-02, 08:21 PM
Looking around, Marl decides that there's no chance of the grubs swarming over the wall just yet. Jumping down from his position, the druid quickly sprints towards the fallen guard. Marl ignores the man and instead viciously attacks the grub who nicked him.

Charging the grub is possible, Move action and Standard action if not.

Attack:
[roll0] (+2 if charging)

Damage:
[roll1]

ellna
2011-05-03, 12:05 PM
Abura Lunges at one of the grubs.

[roll0][roll1]

Reb46
2011-05-03, 02:54 PM
Malvius will either attack the Grub or help the prone guard.

Attack roll: [roll0] +2 if a charge is possible
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2]

Perducci
2011-05-07, 01:51 PM
Abura's spear pierces the Grub. It crawls back away from the hole only to be replaced by another. The others attack's are foiled by the Grub ducking and dodging behind the gate. In the time between the attacks, it works into the hole and thrashes wildly, slowly widening the hole yet again.

From atop the wall, Cliff can clearly hear the groaning of the iron and hear the commotion of his comrades.

ShadowySilence
2011-05-07, 09:12 PM
Hearing the groans emanating from the iron gate Cliff hurries down, figuring that he could provide more help there than up on the walls if the gate couldn't hold out. When he sees the grub wiggling in the gate he completely ignores the prone man and charges the grub striking at it with his morningstar. "DIE ABOMINATION!!!"

Attack:
[roll0]

Damage:
[roll1]

Reb46
2011-05-08, 04:08 AM
Malvius, after helping the guard to stand, attempts to turn around and defend the gate from the little pests but he's interrupted by a screaming gnome running in front of him towards the few remaining creatures. "That's the spirit, brother!"
He then joins him in attacking those things.

[spoiler]Attack roll: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2][spoiler]

ellna
2011-05-08, 04:20 AM
Abura has as sinking feeling in her gut as the endless sprawl of grubs batter at the gate. Seeing the brave defense being put up at the gate however she gains heart. Maybe we might hold... Staying up on the wall, much safer there, she tries to spit another grub with the spear.

[roll0][roll1]