PDA

View Full Version : Bringing back to normal a dominated character.

Pigkappa
2011-04-25, 06:51 PM
Let's suppose a PC has been dominated by a vampire and the vampire has gone away. The PCs know he has been dominated.

Is there a way to remove this effect? Since the vampiric Dominate is a supernatural ability, I don't think the Dispel Magic spell can remove this effect. And i can't think of anything else without using high level spells.

I want the dominate effect to be permanently removed, so protection from evil or the magic circle don't work.

Kylarra
2011-04-25, 06:56 PM
Well, assuming the vampire doesn't concentrate he gets a new save each day, or they can just wait it out. Dominate Person at caster level 12 is only 12 days.

Pigkappa
2011-04-25, 07:52 PM
Well unless he totally doesn't care, he will concentrate 1 round/day...

gbprime
2011-04-25, 10:17 PM
Break Enchantment will do it, caster has to make a caster level check of 23 (assuming a standard vampire's 12th level effect). And Protection from Evil (and Magic Circle vs Evil) can be used to get the PC to someone who can cast Break Enchantment if the party doesn't have one handy.

holywhippet
2011-04-27, 12:03 AM
If the dominated character isn't currently under orders and the vampire is no more then you can just ignore the spell as being dominated won't affect the character's behaviour.

Kaeso
2011-04-27, 10:47 AM
Isn't it possible to override a 'dominate person' with another 'dominate person', and give him the command to act as usual, effectively breaking the first domination?

Tyndmyr
2011-04-27, 11:07 AM
Dispel Magic. Or any other flavor of dispel.

Pigkappa
2011-04-27, 11:10 AM
Dispel Magic.

Are you sure this should work? The vampire's Dominate isn't a spell nor a magic effect. It is a supernatural effect.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-27, 11:24 AM
Ah, Su. I'm asleep today.

Yeah, just toss Protection from Evil on him then. Restrain him if for some reason you won't be able to keep it up at all times. Also, blindfold, plug ears. No point giving unnecessary info.

Cog
2011-04-27, 11:41 AM
The effect is on the target, not the vampire. You can try going to a plane with a fast-time trait to run down the 12-day clock, and if the vampire is unaware, he probably won't be concentrating enough to be doing it once every day either.

Douglas
2011-04-27, 11:54 AM
It'll wear off after 12 days even if the Vampire does concentrate to prevent daily saves.

Resurgence (Spell Compendium) would grant a new save immediately and is only a 1st level spell. Repeat as necessary until a save succeeds.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-27, 12:00 PM
Although this is impractical, killing the character and the forking out for a Raise Dead spell might deal with it.

Douglas
2011-04-27, 12:02 PM
I'm afraid dying does not force spells and effects on you to end. Sorry.

Pigkappa
2011-04-27, 12:12 PM
Restrain him if for some reason you won't be able to keep it up at all times. Also, blindfold, plug ears. No point giving unnecessary info.

It isn't really nice to do this to a fellow party members for several days...

Resurgence (Spell Compendium)

That spell is awfully broken and I have banned it. It is a level 1 spell which can substitute remove blindness, remove curse and several other spells of higher levels. A Resurgence wand would be really cheap at levels 3+ and make the party immune to all of the Permanent effects.

Cog
2011-04-27, 12:24 PM
A Resurgence wand would be really cheap at levels 3+ and make the party immune to all of the Permanent effects.
Considering how much of a screw-you those permanent effects can be at lower levels, I'm not convinced this is a bad thing. Since Resurgence still requires a save, the more solidly you fell to the initial effect the more castings you'll have to use to get rid of it, too.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-27, 12:25 PM
Protection from Evil suppresses the effect until you can get something to Break Enchantment.