PDA

View Full Version : strange alignment issue

archon_huskie
2011-04-25, 08:35 PM
Here's something odd that happened a few years ago

I'd been playing a LE Wizard/Cleric of Hexor.
The DM was awarding us heavily in XP for completing goals in secret from the other party members.
I had been working towards a goal of becoming a Lich in secret from the other party members.
I'd completed my preparations.
But in role-playing the character I figured he would want to enjoy his last few days of being human. So among other indulgences such as increased eating, drinking heavily, and finalizing my will incase the ritual didn't work, He decided to take the Party's rogue up on her offer of a little "romp."

It turns out she had a secret too. One of her little playful bites and scratchs required the DM to make a secret check for me. She was a were-tiger and I had contracted lycanthrope.

I went ahead with my Lich ritual. Which is an Evil act. Afterwards, I had my first change. WereTigers are True Neutral. Once I learn about my status from the rogue, I play around with it and learn to control it. Then I manage to do a voluntary change. Mind you I am a Lich now.

"Any voluntary change to animal or hybrid form immediately and permanently changes the character’s alignment to that of the appropriate lycanthrope."

So I am now a Were-tiger Lich wizard/cleric of Hextor, but my alignment is now TN and I can no longer cast spells as a cleric because I am two steps away from Hextor's alignment.

Volos
2011-04-25, 08:43 PM
So I am now a Were-tiger Lich wizard/cleric of Hextor, but my alignment is now TN and I can no longer cast spells as a cleric because I am two steps away from Hextor's alignment.

No. No you are not. Undead template superceeds were-X template, so if your ritual was successful you are just a Lich.

RndmNumGen
2011-04-25, 09:34 PM
No. No you are not. Undead template superceeds were-X template, so if your ritual was successful you are just a Lich.

This. Lycanthropy, while a curse, is also a disease, and undead are immune to disease. Becoming a lich means you would lose the were-part.

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-25, 09:49 PM
If your DM has houseruled that an undead is still subject to lycanthropy gained while still alive, get him to also houserule that lycanthropes' pre-set alignments are stupid.

If not, find a cleric of a different god to convert you. Vecna, Wee Jas, or Boccob all have compatible alignments and probably wouldn't mind you being a lich or a were-tiger all too much.

archon_huskie
2011-04-25, 11:32 PM
I have a few sessions playing that were-tiger lich that prove you wrong Volos.

@Killian - I prefered the roleplaying scene where I argued to Hextor that I should still recieve spells because of my beliefs and dedication to his cause. I got a magic ring that shifted my alignment to LN.

RndmNumGen
2011-04-25, 11:51 PM

Then your DM is using a houserule. By RAW, you can't be a werelich of any kind.

Even if you could... the LA would hurt real bad. +6 La and +6 RHD? Most of their special abilities overlap too...

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-25, 11:56 PM
Well, at the very least, you'd get some FREAKY DR. What, DR 5/magic, bludgeoning and Silver?

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-26, 06:32 PM
Sorry, I missed the part where this all happened a few years ago.

Marnath
2011-04-26, 07:27 PM

@Killian - I prefered the roleplaying scene where I argued to Hextor that I should still recieve spells because of my beliefs and dedication to his cause. I got a magic ring that shifted my alignment to LN.

F.Y.I., just because you played it that way doesn't make him wrong. By the RAW he's correct. :smallwink:

Volos
2011-04-27, 04:05 PM
If your DM has houseruled that an undead is still subject to lycanthropy gained while still alive, get him to also houserule that lycanthropes' pre-set alignments are stupid.

This. If your DM is stuck on following RAW with the alignment issue of Were-X creatures, then it would only follow that he should be just as willing to follow RAW on the undead disease immunity and template stacking. If he is going to houserul that part (which is the biggest flaw in this situation) then it should stand to reason that he can be talked into allowing you to keep your alignment. A lich's alignment is any evil, so you could argue that to him. If that doesn't work, then start biting random undead that you create with animate dead and make an undead were-tiger army. Destroy his campaign world, set you character sheet on fire, and start over. :smalltongue:

Mr. Zolrane
2011-04-27, 05:08 PM
lycanthropes' pre-set alignments are stupid.

This. Pre-set alignments for any creature are stupid, but any rule that requires you to change the way you play your character is ridiculous on its face. My personal policy is that if you can justify it, you can play anything as any alignment.

Mutazoia
2011-04-27, 05:58 PM
When talking about template stacking with Lycanthropy, I suggest a little research (http://www.airshipentertainment.com/growfcomic.php?date=20070916)