PDA

View Full Version : Custom RPG dice

BIGMamaSloth
2011-04-25, 09:30 PM
I just found this site: http://q-workshop.com/help_more.php?topic=customdice&lang=EN&sell_type=DETAL&currency=EUR

They make custom dice based off of your designs.

I thought this was pretty cool but was weary as to the quality of the dice. Has anyone bought from these guys? If so how are the dice?

Apophis
2011-04-25, 09:40 PM
Ooooh. Pretty dice.
This is a really interesting site. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2011-04-25, 10:24 PM
Q Workshop has a very good reputation, and while I personally have never acquired any custom dice through any service people I know who have will vouch for them.

Project_Mayhem
2011-04-26, 04:49 AM
Following the link, it appears that these guys made my Arkham Horror dice set.

Recommended.

Morghen
2011-04-26, 07:56 AM
I want to fight that website. How hard would it be to add a text-search tool?

Kerrin
2011-04-26, 11:08 AM
Chessex will also make custom dice based upon your artwork.

I had them make some custom d6s once and was happy with the results.

Knaight
2011-04-26, 03:19 PM

Any browser worth the name should have a search tool.

Morghen
2011-04-26, 09:02 PM
Any browser worth the name should have a search tool.Right, but they don't have a text-only list of all their products. I should be able to enter a phrase into a search field and find out if they've got dice that have something to do with "space" or "thorns".

Knaight
2011-04-26, 10:45 PM
Right, but they don't have a text-only list of all their products. I should be able to enter a phrase into a search field and find out if they've got dice that have something to do with "space" or "thorns".

The entire point of custom dice is that you choose what goes on each side. If you want space thorns, you can have them.

rayne_dragon
2011-04-26, 11:45 PM
Following the link, it appears that these guys made my Arkham Horror dice set.

Recommended.

Yeah, those Arkham Horror dice are awesome. I totally approve of these guys - those dice add a real mythos feel to the game and stand up to wear and tear rather well (unlike a number of shoddy dice I've bought over the years). I'd trust them to do a good job.

Ichneumon
2011-04-27, 01:37 AM
I own their set of dwarven dice. They are awesome.

Morghen
2011-04-27, 09:27 AM
The entire point of custom dice is that you choose what goes on each side. If you want space thorns, you can have them.The custom thing is just part of their business.

Whether you want to create your own custom dice or chose one of 1500 available designs - you've come to the right place! [snip] Our stock has been arranged into sections - available through the menu on the right.And I've got to go through all 22 pop-out menus to see if they have what I'm looking for.

Custom: Sure, Q Workshop. I guess.
EVERYTHING ELSE: Anybody else.

Knaight
2011-04-27, 09:34 AM
Custom: Sure, Q Workshop. I guess.
EVERYTHING ELSE: Anybody else.

Considering their pricing, this was already the case.

valadil
2011-04-27, 11:31 AM

Google for "site:q-workshop.com your_query" where your_query is the text you want to search for.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-27, 11:32 AM
I'll be honest, I kinda want to make D6s with a face on each...face. The level of smiling or frowning shows the result.

Fhaolan
2011-04-27, 02:20 PM
I'll be honest, I kinda want to make D6s with a face on each...face. The level of smiling or frowning shows the result.

I'm trying to figure out six different smiling faces that are immediately obvious as to the level of 'result'. I'm having difficulty making it six. I keep coming up with five.

Grin (Smile with teeth)
Smile (No teeth)
Neutral
Frown (No teeth)
Rage (Frown with teeth)

I keep trying to put Shock (round mouth) in, but I'm not sure if that would beat Neutral or not.

EDIT: Unless Shock is above Grin and below Rage. So it's not a number scale, but a loop.

Knaight
2011-04-27, 04:51 PM
I'm trying to figure out six different smiling faces that are immediately obvious as to the level of 'result'. I'm having difficulty making it six. I keep coming up with five.

Grin (Smile with teeth)
Smile (No teeth)
Neutral
Frown (No teeth)
Rage (Frown with teeth)

I keep trying to put Shock (round mouth) in, but I'm not sure if that would beat Neutral or not.

EDIT: Unless Shock is above Grin and below Rage. So it's not a number scale, but a loop.

Fury: As Rage, but red and with steam coming out of the ears.

RndmNumGen
2011-04-27, 05:29 PM
Fury: As Rage, but red and with steam coming out of the ears.

Or Dead: put X's through the eyes.

EDIT: As far as the quality of Q Workshop, I bought a pair of Runic dice that I am fairly content with. However, I have a friend who owns a pair of Qs as well and he is very dissatisfied with them, so use a healthy grain of salt when considering a purchase.

Swooper
2011-04-27, 05:36 PM

Grin (Smile with teeth)
Smile (No teeth)
Neutral
Frown (No teeth)
Rage (Frown with teeth)

Smirk? --> :smallamused:

Edit: Oh, and I know a guy who has a set of their black&yellow elven dice. Very cool set.

Dicecreator
2011-04-28, 05:43 AM
The thing with the faces is that small enough detail is sometimes unatainable, however, you can print them out and get dice like this:

http://dicecreator.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/m-wolf.jpg

Here's a tutorial:

Open Source Dice Making (http://www.dicecreator.com/2010/05/20/open-source-dice-making/)

Better than using stickers, water resistant, and you can do them at home ^_^

Tyndmyr
2011-04-28, 05:49 AM
6: ludicrously grinning, open mouthed lol face.
5: Broad smile.
4: One end of the smile as a line, the other end curled up a bit.
3: Frowning
2: Screaming, with tears running down face.
1: Dead face. Xs for eyes.

Seb Wiers
2011-04-28, 09:09 AM
6 : Awesome smiley (http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/awesome-smiley)
5 : Grin (Smile with teeth)
4: Smile (No teeth)
3 : Neutral
2 : Frown (No teeth)
1 : Rage (Frown with teeth)

Tyndmyr
2011-04-28, 09:21 AM
That was actually the exact smiley I was thinking of for #6.