PDA

View Full Version : Casting scrolls from a higher spell level.

vageta31
2011-04-25, 11:32 PM
I'm a little fuzzy on the ability to cast scrolls of a higher level than you can normally cast. Say a level 3 wizard trying to cast a level 3 spell from a scroll. It seems to be possible though I'm not sure on what the DC you're trying to beat.

I ask because I have a 7th level character that has 2 levels of chameleon. With Practiced Spellcaster as his floating feat he effectively has a CL of 7. How difficult would it be to cast a level 3 scroll (assuming level 5 CL)? And if so what kind of check do I have to beat?

Koury
2011-04-25, 11:52 PM
Activating a scroll requires reading the spell from the scroll. The character must be able to see and read the writing on the scroll. Activating a scroll spell requires no material components or focus. (The creator of the scroll provided these when scribing the scroll.) Note that some spells are effective only when cast on an item or items. In such a case, the scroll user must provide the item when activating the spell. Activating a scroll spell is subject to disruption just as casting a normally prepared spell would be. Using a scroll is like casting a spell for purposes of arcane spell failure chance.

To have any chance of activating a scroll spell, the scroll user must meet the following requirements.

The spell must be of the correct type (arcane or divine). Arcane spellcasters (wizards, sorcerers, and bards) can only use scrolls containing arcane spells, and divine spellcasters (clerics, druids, paladins, and rangers) can only use scrolls containing divine spells. (The type of scroll a character creates is also determined by his or her class.)
The user must have the spell on his or her class list.
The user must have the requisite ability score.

If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

So yeah, its pretty straightforward. Is there part of this that is worded unclearly to you? I can help explain more if so.:smallsmile:

Soren Hero
2011-04-25, 11:53 PM
Bolded for emphasis:
If the user meets all the requirements noted above, and her caster level is at least equal to the spell’s caster level, she can automatically activate the spell without a check. If she meets all three requirements but her own caster level is lower than the scroll spell’s caster level, then she has to make a caster level check (DC = scroll’s caster level + 1) to cast the spell successfully. If she fails, she must make a DC 5 Wisdom check to avoid a mishap (see Scroll Mishaps, below). A natural roll of 1 always fails, whatever the modifiers.

tl;dr the DC should be 6, if the CL of the scroll is 5 (the minimum to cast 3rd level spells) and for some reason you've CL is less than 5. however, i am assuming your character is CL 7, so as long as you meet the prerequisites, there should be no check

vageta31
2011-04-25, 11:58 PM
Thanks guys, it was too straightforward I think. I didn't realize it would be as easy to cast higher level spells from scrolls, I figured I was figuring it out wrong or something. I guess in a normal game starting at level 1 it'd be tough to find higher level spells, but starting out at a higher level you can plan for these things. Now I can have a few scrolls of fly as a backup.

Oh and the DC roll is just a caster level check right? No bonuses from any skill or what not. For a level 4 spell scroll the DC to beat would be 8(CL 7 + 1). Since my CL is only 7 I'm one short and would have to roll a 1d20 and beat 8 or else it fails. Sounds simple enough.

Koury
2011-04-25, 11:59 PM
tl;dr the DC should be 6, if the CL of the scroll is 5 (the minimum to cast 3rd level spells) and for some reason you've CL is less than 5. however, i am assuming your character is CL 7, so as long as you meet the prerequisites, there should be no check

Still gotta roll. A nat 1 fails.

vageta31
2011-04-26, 12:06 AM
Ahh I have to roll no matter what. So this is true casting even mundane lower level spells?

Also the reason my CL is 7 is due to Chameleon levels. The Chameleon CL is 2x class level(4) and practiced spellcaster adds 4 to CL as well, though it's limit is HD. So next Chameleon level I would be a natural CL 6, plus another 4. Looking at it like that it's pretty amazing the rapid spellcasting a chameleon gets.

Koury
2011-04-26, 12:23 AM
You don't have to roll if you meet the three requirements in my first post. It all depends on what spell you are trying to cast. If it is a spell you can prepare and cast yourself (or could prepare and cast, if you knew it), you don't have to roll.

vageta31
2011-04-26, 12:29 AM
Ok I get it now. One more question if you don't mind. When you see a spell that gives a durations of "x"/level does that generally mean class level, character level or caster level? For instance Barkskin says it gives +2 to natural AC, and then an extra +1 for every 3 levels above 3rd. Does that only count if they're druid levels or is it character/caster?

Koury
2011-04-26, 12:33 AM
Caster level.

A level 5 wizard who has a CL of, say, 7, casting Fireball will do 7d6 damage.

Scrolls are unaffected by your caster level, instead being predetemined per scroll by the maker.

Fiery Diamond
2011-04-26, 12:33 AM
Ok I get it now. One more question if you don't mind. When you see a spell that gives a durations of "x"/level does that generally mean class level, character level or caster level? For instance Barkskin says it gives +2 to natural AC, and then an extra +1 for every 3 levels above 3rd. Does that only count if they're druid levels or is it character/caster?

Caster Level of the person casting the spell, or in the case of a scroll, the Caster Level the scroll was created at. If you're using a scroll, your own caster level is not used in the calculation.

vageta31
2011-04-26, 12:51 AM
Caster Level of the person casting the spell, or in the case of a scroll, the Caster Level the scroll was created at. If you're using a scroll, your own caster level is not used in the calculation.

That's what I was hoping but wanted to be sure. So with the scribe scroll feat I can make my own scrolls at CL 6 for barkskin to get the extra +1 to AC.

Douglas
2011-04-26, 09:09 AM
Still gotta roll. A nat 1 fails.
I think that really only applies to the wisdom check to prevent mishap. If your caster level is high enough for a nat-1 clause to matter on the caster level check then it's high enough for automatic activation.

Fiery Diamond
2011-04-26, 09:14 AM
That's what I was hoping but wanted to be sure. So with the scribe scroll feat I can make my own scrolls at CL 6 for barkskin to get the extra +1 to AC.

Assuming you (as creator of the scroll) have a CL of at least 6, then yes. Keep in mind, though, that the list price for scrolls in the book is based on it being a scroll of the lowest possible CL for that spell and that higher CL increases the cost of the scroll. All told, I'm not sure why you'd want to do it rather than just casting Barkskin.

Wonder
2013-09-28, 05:38 AM
but what if you fail your caster level check to activate the scroll but succeed in the wisdom check to avoid mishap. Does the scroll disappear or is it still there and the caster can try one more time ?