PDA

View Full Version : Storing Data Offline

Hrairoo
2011-04-26, 12:27 AM
Just today, giantitp.com asked me if it could store information on my computer. Does anyone know what this is?

Zeb The Troll
2011-04-26, 01:04 AM
That's weird. I know GitP, like many websites, uses cookies to keep track of stuff like the fact you checked "Stay logged in" when you log in. This might be what it's asking about. But I've never heard of anyone being prompted about it. No other sites have done this, though?

Elder Tsofu
2011-04-26, 11:51 AM
Something like it happens to me, but that's all over the net. Basically I try to open a web-address (by clicking a link and opening it in a new tab) and it asks me to save a file instead - I think it has something to do with my connection hiccuping and confusing my browser. I usually reopen the link to solve those.

Rawhide
2011-04-27, 06:21 AM
Other than cookies used by the software to provide you with the services you request (logging in, etc), GitP doesn't store information on your computer. If you are receiving that message, please refuse the request and report what page you're getting it on.

Yora
2011-04-27, 06:28 AM
Something like it happens to me, but that's all over the net. Basically I try to open a web-address (by clicking a link and opening it in a new tab) and it asks me to save a file instead - I think it has something to do with my connection hiccuping and confusing my browser. I usually reopen the link to solve those.
I occasionally have something similar happening. I think it's a browser-issue where a file is falsely identified as not being part of a web-site, so the browser asks what to do with it, which usually is downloading.

Rawhide
2011-04-27, 06:10 PM
Oh yeah, and take a screenshot of the message. So we are all sure what you're talking about.

Maxios
2011-04-27, 06:51 PM
I've never gotten a message like that before. Is it possible the great barriers around Giantitp have been breached by...hackers :smalleek:?

Rawhide
2011-04-27, 07:14 PM
I've never gotten a message like that before. Is it possible the great barriers around Giantitp have been breached by...hackers :smalleek:?

Uh, no. A problem on the browser end or perhaps an incorrect image in a post, signature or avatar.

Neftren
2011-04-27, 09:25 PM
This happens to me a lot (assuming it's what I think it is) when I'm on and opening a lot of tabs. I tend to -Click (Cmd-Click or Ctrl-Click) tabs a lot, and sometimes, you accidentally click text or a site background element and your browser gets confused and downloads it. I've had to delete *.php files that accumulate from my rapid opening of tabs. I'll upload a screenie example the next time I see one of those files crop up.

May or may not be the problem here.

LordZarth
2011-04-27, 09:44 PM
This happens to me a lot (assuming it's what I think it is) when I'm on and opening a lot of tabs. I tend to -Click (Cmd-Click or Ctrl-Click) tabs a lot, and sometimes, you accidentally click text or a site background element and your browser gets confused and downloads it. I've had to delete *.php files that accumulate from my rapid opening of tabs. I'll upload a screenie example the next time I see one of those files crop up.

May or may not be the problem here.

On Firefox, at least, if you press option-Click then it saves the link. So if you miss Command or Control (happens to me all the time) you download a random php file instead of opening the link.