PDA

View Full Version : Shurikens... does anyone ever use them?

sengmeng
2011-04-26, 01:45 AM
Has anyone ever used shurikens, at all? Why?

Etrivar
2011-04-26, 01:55 AM
Once, as part of a ninja thrower build, to keep the flavor consistent.

Greenish
2011-04-26, 01:59 AM
If, for some reason, you're a monk, it'll let you finish your flurry of misses in the unlikely event that your target actually dies. They do get Str to damage like all thrown weapons, which can be amusing with sufficiently strong character.

RaggedAngel
2011-04-26, 02:13 AM
Ignore the d2. The d2 is meaningless.

They can be drawn and enchanted like ammunition, meaning they're cheap and you can full attack with them. However, they throw like a thrown weapon, meaning you can add strength.

If you're throwing shurikens, it means that you're a strong character with precision damage, or a monk. A monk/rogue multiclass can give a ranged flurry/sneak attack with shuriken, and the d6's can add up if you do it right.

John Campbell
2011-04-26, 02:20 AM
Once while playing through a published adventure in which we were asked politely to leave our gear behind while we walked into an obvious trap, the party ninja smuggled in a shuriken. Which he used as a melee weapon because he only brought one and didn't want to throw it away and be completely unarmed. It, uh, didn't really work.

I think that was the only time he actually used one in combat, though he occasionally tried to use them for creating distracting noises. That didn't usually work, either.

As for why... well, he was the kind of guy who'd play a ninja because it was a ninja even though the fighter/rogue I was playing routinely beat him at his own game, plus several other games that he wasn't even equipped to play. He owns a Naruto headband. So, yeah, shuriken. And a katana. Even though we were in Cormyr.

LordBlades
2011-04-26, 02:29 AM
I only use them as +1 eager shurikens that I carry around

Getting +2 to init for 160 GP is a pretty good deal.

Seharvepernfan
2011-04-26, 05:46 AM
I was thinking about this the other day.

The one benefit I saw was if you are a first level rogue who somehow has proficiency with them. I *think* 3.0 rogues did.

Anyways, since in 3.5 they are considered ammunition, you can get mw added to your attacks for like 6gp a pop, and if you have twf, thats two attacks per round with a mw weapon that has some range.

other than that, the sleight of hand bonus to conceal is noteworthy.

Yora
2011-04-26, 06:07 AM
Real world shurikens are not meant to cause serious injury. You either used them as part of a feint, or to deliver poison into the targets blood.
If you wanted to injure, you used bo shuriken, which are much more like throwing darts in D&D.

sengmeng
2011-04-26, 07:07 AM
I was thinking about this the other day.

The one benefit I saw was if you are a first level rogue who somehow has proficiency with them. I *think* 3.0 rogues did.

Anyways, since in 3.5 they are considered ammunition, you can get mw added to your attacks for like 6gp a pop, and if you have twf, thats two attacks per round with a mw weapon that has some range.

other than that, the sleight of hand bonus to conceal is noteworthy.

Wonderful as that all may be, did you actually find yourself DOING it?

Ignore the d2. The d2 is meaningless.

They can be drawn and enchanted like ammunition, meaning they're cheap and you can full attack with them. However, they throw like a thrown weapon, meaning you can add strength.

If you're throwing shurikens, it means that you're a strong character with precision damage, or a monk. A monk/rogue multiclass can give a ranged flurry/sneak attack with shuriken, and the d6's can add up if you do it right.

Same question to you.

CTrees
2011-04-26, 07:38 AM
There was a monster once which was basically covered in acid. As a monk, I almost did flurries of shurikens, mostly on the off chance I'd crit and beat damage resistance. However, I, um, actually ended up taking out my kama and trying a flurry of trips (didn't work, but had a higher chance of success). This wasn't my character, though - I took the wrong notebook to the session, and so the DM passed off that monk to me for the session. Lesson learned - always have a copy of my character sheet on my phone!

ArcanistSupreme
2011-04-26, 07:58 AM
I had a buddy, who, as a first level 3.0 rogue, forgot that he didn't have proficiency with shurikens (rogues do not have proficiency with shurikens in any edition I'm aware of) and that the range increments were 10 ft. Needless to say, triple sneak attack (you could throw three at a time in 3.0) at range was ridiculously broken at low levels.

fryplink
2011-04-26, 07:59 AM
They can fuel a 1d2 crusader? allows him to throw infinite damage instead of smacking people with it.

In all seriousness though, they really are only useful for sneaking into places that traditionally ban weapons and/or delivering poison.

Greymane
2011-04-26, 08:56 AM
I've never actually used them myself, but I recently added a houserule that I stole from another thread around here a bit ago to add Monk Unarmed Damage to all Monk Weapons. Nobody has tried using a Monk yet with these changes, but I imagine people will pay attention when the shuriken start flying now. :smallamused:

Dangit, Firefox! Shuriken is a real word! I know what I'm doing!

LOTRfan
2011-04-26, 09:04 AM
I've never actually used them myself, but I recently added a houserule that I stole from another thread around here a bit ago to add Monk Unarmed Damage to all Monk Weapons. Nobody has tried using a Monk yet with these changes, but I imagine people will pay attention when the shuriken start flying now. :smallamused:

I was about to mention that houserule. My group are terrified of shurikens. Image three shurikens hitting a target, each dealing 1d10 damage and delivering a dose of nitharit.. :smallamused:

The Boz
2011-04-26, 09:08 AM
If a Monk gets to add his unarmed attack damage to Shurikens and Kamas... why would he EVER fight bare-fisted again!?

Metahuman1
2011-04-26, 09:29 AM
I suddenly have an idea for a very powerful Gestualt build.

Telonius
2011-04-26, 09:57 AM
If a Monk gets to add his unarmed attack damage to Shurikens and Kamas... why would he EVER fight bare-fisted again!?

Well, you'd still have the Ki stuff (magic, lawful, adamantine) on your unarmed strike only. So if you happen to be fighting something with DR/any of those, unarmed would still make more sense (assuming the kama and shuriken aren't also magic, lawful, or adamantine). Rust monsters, anything you're grappling, free Merciful if you want to subdue but not kill, wanting to disarm somebody and have the weapon in your hand instead of on the floor ... but yeah, fairly situational.

The Boz
2011-04-26, 10:00 AM
So basically never?

Epsilon Rose
2011-04-26, 12:21 PM
Which is actually fairly realistic.
Being armed is preferable to being unarmed, even if you're better at unarmed combat than everyone else.

LOTRfan
2011-04-26, 12:25 PM
I think the house rule is a good one, becomes otherwise, there is little incentive for a monk to use the special monk weapons. At least this way, while there are still some bonuses for attacking unarmed, the weapons are a much more viable option.

ericgrau
2011-04-26, 12:27 PM
Basically bow > shuriken > thrown weapon. They're a good low level ranged backup option for melee, not a good thing to focus a ranged build on. They're also cheaper to enchant than thrown weapons at high levels as a backup option, though less efficient at that point. It's just that thrown weapons are even worse at that point.

Ammo is also better at overcoming DR since you can afford to carry ammo of every DR type without breaking the bank.

So basically never?
All the above means, "basically always" as everyone should pick some up as ranged backup even if they have nothing to do with your melee build.

Likewise magic weapons usually deal more damage than unarmed strikes, usually have a higher attack bonus, and should always be used instead unless you're cheesing out unarmed damage somehow or are forced to use unarmed strike damage: stunning fist, grapple, etc. And even then ki focus weapons can use stunning fist. For example by the time you hit a whopping 1d10 at level 8 you should already have +1 and +1d6 damage on your weapon (on top of a +1 to hit). At lower levels you have the same damage as unarmed strikes and a +1 to hit due to being masterwork.

Sims
2011-04-26, 12:45 PM
You can add the "Triple Throw" epic enhancement to them right? Wouldn't that do triple sneak attack? and at Epic levels would kill.

Plus there is the "Distance" enhancemnts, or "Uncanny Accuracy" or somethin like that.

But even with that, a Bow is better. I'd use a Shuriken either for fun, or for sneaking in small weapons.

I think its sort of dumb that you can't use a Melee Kunai, yet you can use a Dagger.

Then again, Shuriken and Kunai aren't exactly alike.

What about using a Gargantuan Shuriken? Like on Naruto.

manyslayer
2011-04-26, 12:47 PM
As stated before, by being ammunition, they can make effective weapons if properly prepared. Sent a monk against the party whose job was to take them alive. Kept out of melee range through jump, tumble and skill tricks and used merciful shurikens. Still not a huge amount of damage, but annoying as hell (and captured the PCs he was facing, forcing a rescue scenario for the others).

Provengreil
2011-04-26, 01:50 PM
they do best as a poison delivery system, really. Poison doesn't go away until you voluntarily remove it or it is used against a target. so you can have several types of poison ready to draw and throw at a moment's notice.

Of course, poison is in dire need of house rules because it costss thousands of GP for 2 fort saves that will probably be made on one enemy that will either die so fast it won't matter or shrug the effects off.

Lateral
2011-04-26, 01:55 PM
...Or take Hidden Talent: Psionic Minor Creation and make something like 20 doses of any two plant-based poisons you want each morning for free. (Black Lotus poison is plant-based, and the DC is really quite difficult to make at low levels. Ahem.)

Now I have to go do that. Damn it.

LOTRfan
2011-04-26, 02:18 PM
You can add the "Triple Throw" epic enhancement to them right? Wouldn't that do triple sneak attack? and at Epic levels would kill.

No, unfortunately, the precision damage isn't included for the two duplicates.

Etrivar
2011-04-26, 02:31 PM
A really fun tactic is to combine Flurry of Throws with explosive shuriken, on a group of closely packed people. Everyone is hit with SA damage (albeit only a little), and everyone is hit with about five or six explosions.

Necroticplague
2011-04-26, 02:41 PM
Shuriken counts as a ammo for purpose of pricing, so you can add properties to it for real cheap. I once had a tashlatora monk/ psychic warrior who spent a good deal of money on a whole ton of +1 manifester shuriken. Seriously, he got 250 free points of manifesting every day. Also, magic items have a small chance to be permanently giving off light as a torch, so a +1 shuriken can act as an everburning torch for less money, and weighs less, and takes up less space. also, their are some properties that give you benefits without actually using them, like eager (+2 initiative) and mighty cleaving(+1 cleaves per round). Also, useful for the delivery of injury poison, especially with range and bonus to hide it. Also, makes for great flavor. I once had an intelligent morphing shadowreach shuriken that would transform into other light ninja weapons (siangham, sickle, unarmed strike, punching dagger, sai, and kama). I totally cribed that one off of soul eater.

Xetheral
2011-04-26, 05:48 PM
Ammo is also better at overcoming DR since you can afford to carry ammo of every DR type without breaking the bank.

Going even further, at 160 gp each, you can carry around Bane ammo for many, if not all, of the creature types you're likely to face. At the very least, a few Magebane arrows/bolts/shuriken are rarely a wasted investment.

golentan
2011-04-26, 05:52 PM
I made a shuriken thrower build once. A combination of skill tricks and master thrower, as I recall, as well as some custom stuff imported from third party sources. It worked pretty good.

JaronK
2011-04-26, 06:06 PM
Their primary benefit is enchanting. If you simply hold a +1 Eager Shuriken of Warning, you get +7 to initiative, and it's extremely cheap. This is amazing for someone who doesn't worry about melee (like most Wizards) or someone who fights with one hand anyway (Quickrazor Factotum). There's a bunch of other enchantments with similar effects you can get this way (like the elemental summoning enchantments from DMGII).

JaronK

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-26, 06:40 PM
Their primary benefit is enchanting. If you simply hold a +1 Eager Shuriken of Warning, you get +7 to initiative, and it's extremely cheap. This is amazing for someone who doesn't worry about melee (like most Wizards) or someone who fights with one hand anyway (Quickrazor Factotum). There's a bunch of other enchantments with similar effects you can get this way (like the elemental summoning enchantments from DMGII).

JaronK

For a handful of extra GP, why not get it made out of Targath (ECS)? Free +2 to fortitude saves against disease? Why not?!

ffone
2011-04-26, 07:10 PM
Has anyone ever used shurikens, at all? Why?

Decent for a rogue who has spare attacks (and a spare hand or two) at the end of a full attack. Sure there's the -4 for nonproficiency, and the measly range increment, but they're free to draw, so it may be that vs nothing.

Ryfte
2011-08-25, 11:06 AM
You know... they may be cheap because they count as ammo... but...

That also means that they have a 50% chance to be destroyed each time they're actually used. That, coupled with their exceedingly poor stats make them less than a sub-optimal choice as far as thrown weapons go!

You're far better off with darts or the desert throwing knife (Sandstorm). If you want to flurry with them you take the exotic flurry feat (or whatever it's called). You get better base damage dice, still gain your strength modifier on the attacks, the weapons have no risk of being destroyed, and have a base range of +50% or +100%.

Soooo... nope... I never use shurikens. :D

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-25, 11:37 AM
I used them once! It was a Core + Completes, no magic allowed arena challenge, run on IRC. For gits and shiggles, I played a Halfling Monk/Fighter/EWM/Master Thrower. I made it to the third round and got eaten by a Bear Warrior.

So, um, they're OK I guess? As a general rule, I don't really like using thrown weapons that don't explode, but every now and then I suppose they're fun.

(And, yeah, there's the uber-shuriken usage where you enchant them as ammo with things like Eager and Warning. But that's a whole different conversation altogether.)

BlackestOfMages
2011-08-25, 11:50 AM
I did, once - it was as a stealth-based assassin rogue in an assassination campaing (I only had the core book at the time, so rogue was the best I had) as the DM let me have weapon proficiency shuriken for free (as it's useless)

was fun to poison peoplewith one, however :)

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-25, 11:56 AM
There is some REALLY REALLY awesome stuff you can do with Shurikens if you stretch the rules a bit...

Read:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=166492

maximus25
2011-08-25, 12:03 PM
Wait, since shurikens are like tiny, can't you get bigger shurikens and increase the damage done as per rules in savage species? So that 1d2 could become a 1d6 if your DM is nice. :smallbiggrin:

Knaight
2011-08-25, 12:05 PM
In 3.0, one has the option to throw 3 shruiken simultaneously. Which means that one can attempt to poison someone with three different poisons simultaneously, and that's just fun.

jindra34
2011-08-25, 12:05 PM
Wait, since shurikens are like tiny, can't you get bigger shurikens and increase the damage done as per rules in savage species? So that 1d2 could become a 1d6 if your DM is nice. :smallbiggrin:
Not really because you would have to start taking penalties. 1d2 Shuriken are sized for medium characters. Anything larger and penalties can start to apply (if you can use them at all), yeah silly but thems the rules.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-25, 12:09 PM
Does using Fire Shuriken count?

ericgrau
2011-08-25, 12:29 PM
They tend to be a better backup for melee than thrown weapons since they're cheaper, especially once enchanted. Even after re-usability, returning & etc., gold for gold all the shurikens you'll ever need are still give you more than multiple thrown weapons. Also come with free quick draw, so it's only 1 feat either way. Generally bow > shuriken > thrown weapons. That said neither shuriken nor thrown weapons tend to be a primary focus on most characters.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-25, 12:40 PM
I dunno, I would definitely like a +9 equivalent morphing weapon for 4K. Nice big discount for melee, yaknow?

tyckspoon
2011-08-25, 12:47 PM
Does using Fire Shuriken count?

Heh. I was gonna mention this.. every time I skim through the Spell Compendium I keep wanting to sit and down and sort out an Assassin/Master Thrower build. Spend your off-days stacking up fire shuriken, get into combat, and burn down people with 30d6 Palm Throw/Rapid Shot flurries... downside is of course Fire damage and the rampant immunities/resistances to it.

AngelisBlack
2011-08-25, 12:53 PM
You know... they may be cheap because they count as ammo... but...

That also means that they have a 50% chance to be destroyed each time they're actually used. That, coupled with their exceedingly poor stats make them less than a sub-optimal choice as far as thrown weapons go!

You're far better off with darts or the desert throwing knife (Sandstorm). If you want to flurry with them you take the exotic flurry feat (or whatever it's called). You get better base damage dice, still gain your strength modifier on the attacks, the weapons have no risk of being destroyed, and have a base range of +50% or +100%.

Soooo... nope... I never use shurikens. :D

Wait, about the shurikens breaking when thrown, isn't there a special material in BoED called Aurorum that lets you automatically fix them if you get the pieces back together?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-25, 01:00 PM
Heh. I was gonna mention this.. every time I skim through the Spell Compendium I keep wanting to sit and down and sort out an Assassin/Master Thrower build. Spend your off-days stacking up fire shuriken, get into combat, and burn down people with 30d6 Palm Throw/Rapid Shot flurries... downside is of course Fire damage and the rampant immunities/resistances to it.

Energy sub and/or searing spell say hi! Once I planned an unseen seer thrower build which had arcane thesis on fire shuriken but i couldnt get all the details right.

Curmudgeon
2011-08-25, 01:10 PM
I only use them as +1 eager shurikens that I carry around

Getting +2 to init for 160 GP is a pretty good deal.
Your DM actually lets you buy single units of ammunition? The DMs I play with just follow the DMG and you buy in lots of 50. I guess that way you can be really eager.

Crasical
2011-08-25, 01:15 PM
I had a buddy, who, as a first level 3.0 rogue, forgot that he didn't have proficiency with shurikens (rogues do not have proficiency with shurikens in any edition I'm aware of)

4e Rogues have proficiency with Shuriken, and get to increase their damage dice to d6s with them.

ericgrau
2011-08-25, 01:17 PM
They have to be crafted in lots of 50 but there's no reason why shops wouldn't sell them individually, as long as they're in stock. For a custom order ya I imagine the crafter would make you pay for 50.

Danin
2011-08-25, 02:15 PM
I played a Master Thrower that used Shurikens at one point. I think he had at least 3 levels of Swashbuckler for INT to damage, and maybe 2 levels of a variant fighter in order to get weapon specialization. Basically my plan was to stack as many static damage modifiers on as I could and increase my number of attacks to a preposterous degree. Worked fairly well actually, and in a only marginally optimized group I held my own and then some.

What worked surprisingly well was a stack of +1 Wounding Arorum(sp?) shurikens that I used to take down bosses. With double toss and two weapon fighting I went machine gun on them with 8 attacks a round and wrecked their CON score. This also made him more prone to my poisons ta boot.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-25, 02:46 PM
Wait, about the shurikens breaking when thrown, isn't there a special material in BoED called Aurorum that lets you automatically fix them if you get the pieces back together?

That's already mentioned in the link I gave!

Human Paragon 3
2011-08-25, 03:02 PM
I had a factotum / Monk / Tattoed monk character who had the decisive strike alternate class feature. The idea was to add Int to damage with factotum, power attack with a two-handed staff, then double it with decisive strike.

Shurikan worked well as a ranged alternative:

d2+2(str)+4(int)x2=14.5 damage average at range. At higher levels, enhancements and stat boosts would have led to even bigger damage. This is, of course, when the staff wasn't an option.

beyond reality
2011-08-25, 03:13 PM
I created a shuriken using NPC. A halfling fighter/master thrower teamed up with a gnome bard to create the most annoying enemy duo the party ever faced. The gnome used invisibility and then his bardic performance (hyperbolic bragging) boost the halfling while annoying the heck out of the party. The halfling fought

The halfling had 2-weapon fighting (and improved 2 weapon fighting) as well as most of the throwing feats. Also weapon specialization. He was armed with +1 flaming shurikens.

Obviously because of his size the shurikens only did a single damage. However he could throw around 6 a round and that combined with master thrower meant that each shuriken was actually two shurikens. Each shuriken did about 10 damage on average, so each successful hit was around 20 damage. Basically he was a halfling machine gun.

Obviously not suitable for PCs for a variety of reasons (they'd bleed gold pieces to keep themselves in magical shurikens with that ROF) but it made a fun enemy for a specialized encounter.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-08-25, 03:39 PM
Well, monks can flurry of throws with them. That counts for something.

In Pathfinder, monks have sort of semi full BAB, so the flurry is a bit better.

I actually have used them once, though it was in a solo dungeon crawl (And by solo I mean I used a dungeon generator and ran random encounters on my own, to learn the game mechanics better). Oriental Adventures has a race called the Komobokuru, which are basically smaller dwarves. Small size lowers 1d2 to 1... Which isn't really a loss at all. No strength penalty means a monk can flurry them and add strength bonus to each hit, and get a +1 for small size. It's not the best combination in the world, but theoretically speaking there must be something you can do with it. I like to imagine a monk//fighter in gestalt could get a decent flurry. A monk//barbarian with whirling frenzy could get a really humorous level 1 flurry of misses.

EDIT: I HAVE used shurikens in a real game. Someone convinced me that taking a level of monk would compliment my level 1 sorcerer. It was as terrible as it sounds. And because of it I had terrible health. So I stood in the back and threw shurikens mostly. Not effective, but hell, magic missile and trying to be melee weren't effective, so you do what you can.

Later on in a second campaign my friend played a monk (who planned to inevitably be a drunken master). Because she was often so fragile, she spent a bit of time using shurikens from afar.

So... I guess parties who don't know any better use shurikens? Maybe they got some support from feats or something, like the boomerang.

Salanmander
2011-08-25, 07:46 PM
I've used shuriken as my primary weapon in a high level party full of divine casters and contributed significantly and had fun. It was a halfling ninja/master thrower/fighter (with maybe some other dips?) that used precision damage and a lot of X-bane and oils of flaming arrow. It was a mini-game that lasted something like 3-4 sessions, and I didn't need to reload on shuriken.

The op level was such that the party (without me, plus another character...i was DMing when I kept best track of what they were facing) could take roughly two EL = ECL+3 encounters between rests reliably. It was /not/ such that damage was unimportant.

tyckspoon
2011-08-25, 07:53 PM
So... I guess parties who don't know any better use shurikens? Maybe they got some support from feats or something, like the boomerang.

Only if you count using Aptitude to cheat in access to better feats from other weapons; a shuriken flurry with Boomerang Daze would be pretty nice when combined with some way of making your per-hit damage high enough for the save DC to be relevant.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-25, 07:55 PM
Monk+War Hulk can make shurikens useful by sheer strength output.

Hida Reju
2011-08-25, 10:37 PM
If you use psionics you can use the Psi warrior power Dissolving Weapon to charge it with multiple D6 of Acid damage until used.

4 power points equals 4d6 acid and can be increased if you have the down time and power points to burn.

I had a character with 50 shurikens charged up to 7d6 acid damage that used telekinetic Force to throw 10 of them a round during a boss fight.

It was my alpha strike of death. All it cost me was money for shurikens and a few days of downtime to prep.

begooler
2011-08-25, 11:51 PM
Shurikens are for NPC monsters that have superior multi-weapon fighting with four arms, some type of bonus or precision damage, and who don't have to worry about their weapons being magical because PC's don't have DR/magic.

Round One: "Ha ha, does that thing have a shuriken?"
Round Two: "Oh god it has a machine gun, run!"

That is pretty much what they are good for. Probably also as toothpicks.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-26, 07:49 AM
If you use psionics you can use the Psi warrior power Dissolving Weapon to charge it with multiple D6 of Acid damage until used.

4 power points equals 4d6 acid and can be increased if you have the down time and power points to burn.

I had a character with 50 shurikens charged up to 7d6 acid damage that used telekinetic Force to throw 10 of them a round during a boss fight.

It was my alpha strike of death. All it cost me was money for shurikens and a few days of downtime to prep.

Does this actually work? Dissolving Weapon does not have the clause that spells like Greater Magic Weapon have, allowing for you to charge 50 projectiles instead of one held weapon. And as far as I know, there's no general rule stating that any spell that effects a weapon also effects batches of 50 projectiles. (If there was, why would spells like GMW explicitly spell that out?)

Telok
2011-08-26, 08:22 AM
Does this actually work? Dissolving Weapon does not have the clause that spells like Greater Magic Weapon have, allowing for you to charge 50 projectiles instead of one held weapon. And as far as I know, there's no general rule stating that any spell that effects a weapon also effects batches of 50 projectiles. (If there was, why would spells like GMW explicitly spell that out?)

That's why it took days of prep time. He had to use 4pp on each and every shuriken.

In AD&D OA I had a chance to play a bushi with 18/70~something Str and specialized in shuriken and polearms. I picked up a couple of potions of Haste and had myself a grand old time nailing evil clerics to walls.

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-26, 10:27 AM
That's why it took days of prep time. He had to use 4pp on each and every shuriken.

Makes sense. I saw the reference to 50 shuriken, and assumed they were being done in batches of 50. I've seen people reference using Dissolving Weapon like that before, but I've never found anything RAW to back it up.

Tetsubo 57
2011-08-26, 11:55 AM
That was 32 years ago. I'm lucky if I remember yesterday's dinner. But I'm sure that the campaign did not start with anything as innovative and interesting as a tavern. It was probably something like, "You find yourself standing outside a dungeon..."

Psyren
2011-08-26, 12:23 PM
DW doesn't appear to apply to ammunition at all, or if it does, to one arrow/shuriken etc. per manifestation. But yeah, if you had days of downtime you could theoretically coat every shuriken in your pack.

Hida Reju
2011-08-26, 09:31 PM
DW doesn't appear to apply to ammunition at all, or if it does, to one arrow/shuriken etc. per manifestation. But yeah, if you had days of downtime you could theoretically coat every shuriken in your pack.

You know you might be right on that. I had not thought about it until I checked and found Shuriken under Ammo. If that is the case then they are not a weapon and by RAW would not be a valid target for that power. Now we can get a bunch of throwing darts because they still fall under the thrown weapon category.

Drachasor
2011-08-26, 09:57 PM
You know you might be right on that. I had not thought about it until I checked and found Shuriken under Ammo. If that is the case then they are not a weapon and by RAW would not be a valid target for that power. Now we can get a bunch of throwing darts because they still fall under the thrown weapon category.

Text trumps table, it is a weapon.

Hmm, and honestly, anything can be used as an improvised weapon. Doesn't that make it a weapon for such purposes? They seem to technically be weapons.

Curmudgeon
2011-08-26, 11:02 PM
Hmm, and honestly, anything can be used as an improvised weapon. Doesn't that make it a weapon for such purposes?
No, being able to be used as an improvised weapon, and being an actual weapon, are different.

Drachasor
2011-08-26, 11:08 PM
No, being able to be used as an improvised weapon, and being an actual weapon, are different.

There's really no distinction made in the rules as far as I can tell. An improvised weapon IS a weapon, just one that you are normally not proficient in.

Hida Reju
2011-08-26, 11:35 PM
Well regardless if you can use them as I have been then it still takes 3-4 days to charge up a batch at mid lvl.

Still gives you a cheap alpha strike to hit things hard with. Just have to be careful how much you use it. It's a good trick to pull sometimes or if pressed hard but over use it and you promote too much power creep.

Necroticplague
2011-08-27, 06:05 AM

Shuriken are thrown weapons, they simply cost, are crafted like, and break like ammunition.

Drachasor
2011-08-27, 11:37 AM
Shuriken are thrown weapons, they simply cost, are crafted like, and break like ammunition.

Like I said, the text for them explicitly says they are weapons, therefore they are.