PDA

View Full Version : The Resistance(IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3

PersonMan
2011-04-26, 05:16 AM
OOC. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10854756#post10854756)

The dust begins to clear, revealing the floor of the room you've fallen into. It's rather dark, although with your eyes it's easy to pick out the details once the dust isn't blocking your view.

There is still shouting coming from outside, loud enough to have masked the sound that the floor made as it collapsed. The fall was nearly fifteen feet, but the rotted supports under the old floor had kept it from being anything other than rather painful. After a moment the noise changes as an explosion shakes the area, causing more dust to be shaken loose from the room above, along with some small trinkets and pieces of wood.

The room is about fifteen feet long and only ten wide, the wall towards the street made of thick wood. The one facing the outside of the city is made of concrete, reinforced with iron bars. It seems like this room may be connected to a hallway of sorts-there are doors next to the outer wall on both ends of the room, although to get to them you'd have to get through the debris from the old floor.

Half-buried by the collapse are several corpses. You can't really see them well because of all of the wood in the way, but it seems like they've been fairly well preserved or haven't been dead for very long.

Spot DC 20
Mostly hidden by the collapsed floor, it seems like one of the doors has a few holes in it. They're large enough that gnomes, or creatures of a similar size, could fit through without much trouble.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-26, 08:59 AM
Come on, natural 20!

[roll0]

Aw! :smallfrown:

Well, my character moves aside the planks covering the corpses with his glaive.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-26, 01:32 PM
Morah-Liln lands on his feet, dropping into a crouch to soak up as much of the force of the fall as he can, but a pain still shoots up his legs. Wincing, he looks around, and sees two orcs and a strange-looking gnome. He considers drawing an arrow and opening fire on the orcs - one is rooting through debris, so he could potentially bring them both down before they threaten him - but the strange-looking weapons they each wield are not exactly Erish standard issue - one actually carries a bow! And he's heard rumors about orcs working with the local resistance...

He looks around quickly, then walks to the one who isn't busy and extends a hand. "Morah-Liln. I fight the Erish," he says shortly. If he's wrong...well, he won't need to worry about it for long.

Spot (move action):
[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-26, 03:54 PM
Kator looks up. I'm Kator, I prefer the old way of combat to firearms.

He twirls his glaive.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-26, 04:00 PM
Golgatha, lands with a grunt, he takes a few seconds to right himself, and take stock of his surroundings. he coughs a few times, either from having the wind knocked out of him when he landed or from all the dust and mold int he air.

"They call me Golgatha, and any enemy to the Erish is a friend of mine. Even if they are an elf." He spits out the word as if it were a curse in and of itself.

Where are we?

Upon noticing the dead, he'll look to see if any of them are orcs. If they are, he'll administer whatever last rites Guurmsh approves of.

Spot check
[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-26, 05:15 PM
Kator finishes moving aside the planks covering the corpses. What does he find?

TekHed
2011-04-26, 07:06 PM
Let's see some rolls first...

Tumble: [roll0]
Spot: [roll1]

Wow...RIGHT on the money...

The indeed odd-looking gnome (for he was much too tall and were it not for the eyes would be mistaken for a short Elf-child) had been hiding in the randomly selected room for shelter while the Erish guards swarmed the emerging riot. He hardly had a moment to catch his breath however before two massive Orcs and an Elf came rampaging through the room. Deft hands darted beneath his cloak but before he could reach his concealed weapon the combined weight of the ambushers collapsed the very floor beneath them!

Extensive training kicking in, Soren nimbly slid down the collapsing slope until at just the right moment he leapt clear, tapping off the basement wall with a whirling flourish and landing in a crouch, drawing the double chain-sickle in the same acrobatic motion.

Feeling his body tensed and pulsing with adrenaline, Soren had to remind himself to breath, the air flowing into his muscles allowing them to relax slightly, the better to explode in any given direction.

Senses spinning wildly he focused his mind to take stock of the situation at hand, only to hear the accord between the Elf and one of the Orcs...it would seem that today is his lucky day. Still...best to be cautious. With narrowed suspicious eyes, Soren stood up from his combat ready position.

"I should be so fortunate...that a group of resistance fighters should crash my hiding hole. Damien. Damien Vendergest." He did not make any move to approach nor offer clasp of greeting. He was however, suddenly aware of an opening in the otherwise solid seeming door of their impromptu dungeon, darkvision clearly showing the colder region of the hole.

"What's this?" Soren circled carefully around the others, keeping his distance, so as to get a better view of the half-concealed portal.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-26, 07:23 PM
So what do I find when I uncover the corpses?

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-26, 09:26 PM
Not a sign of relief touches Morah-Liln's face, but deep inside, a tension begins to unknot. Let's face it, coming to the city in the first place was a bad idea. If these truly are the allies they seem to be, though, I may be quite fortunate indeed - presuming we escape alive.

He coughs a harsh laugh at Golgatha's words. "Well spoken. Your kind tend to strike me much the same, but I make no arguments for my own. May you slaughter many of my countrymen - when justified." Considering the matter settled, he gives a nod of respect and turns to the strangely tall gnome.

"Sorry about the dramatic entrance, Damien." Turning, he looks in the direction the other is peering, and notices the edge of...something. "Care! It could be a glyph!" Remembering similar incidents from his childhood - which upon closer examination would always burst into a foul-smelling fog, or similar childish pranks - he moves to place a solid object between himself and the door, fully aware that less juvenile elves would trap it with less juvenile dangers.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-27, 03:51 AM
Golgatha lets out a snort, a second later his broad face is split by a uncharacteristic grin. You know for an elf he's not half bad.

"I appreciate the permission, and you are more then welcome to slay any orc you come across. It would serve them right for letting an elf get the better of them."

"I'm glad to have met other members of the resistance. I've attempted to contact others quietly, but most everyone I ask seems to be less then forth coming." He cracks his knuckles, ""No matter how nice I ask."

Golgatha turns to the gnome. ""Damnein was it? Since this is your "hidey hole", how do you propose we get out? From the sounds of things things are starting to heating up out there, and I'd hate to miss the fun."

TekHed
2011-04-27, 04:53 AM
"Damien." Soren corrected. "It was an impromptu shelter that I took here, the same as you, only a few minutes earlier..." the gnome replies though his concentration seems focused on what he has just spotted to which he is moving closer, a curious expression furrowing his brow.

PersonMan
2011-04-27, 08:11 AM
There are five corpses, three gnomes a human and an elf. Each bears armor and weapons, as well as several other miscellaneous items. The human is one of the bulkiest you've ever seen-his strength would have rivaled that of most orcs during his life. The elf does look fairly hardy-a bit weak for an orc or gnome, but rather tough for one of his kind. Two of the gnomes look fairly average, but one seems to have a different build than the others, with thinner muscles and stronger legs.

Before you can closely examine them, however, you all hear a rustling and several footsteps, followed by a crash as something disturbs the debris near one wall, sending it crashing down and throwing up more smoke. As the wood comes crashing down, you hear what sounds a bit like some kind of dog. After a moment, two four-legged creatures come into view.

They are very odd looking things-apparently a mix of a wolf- or doglike creature, some sort of rodent and a reptile of some sort. It has a jaw that is, for its size, very large, filled with two layers of cutting teeth. On its head are a pair of large pink ears that darken around the edges, sticking up and twitching often. Its eyes are almost entirely white, and large pink veins pulse on its face. From its head extends a short mane of bright red hair, from which three bony spines stick up. The spines continue past the mane, although they shrink drastically in size as they continue along the creature, eventually vanishing into its fur. The creature's underbelly is almost white, and its upper body is covered in thick light brown fur, parted in one place by what appears to be a massive, pulsing artery.

The beasts' legs are fairly muscular, with three claws extending from the forepaws and four from the back. From the forelegs of the creatures jut spines of bone, mirrored by larger and more numerous ones on their backsides. Thin tails extend from the backs of the things, covered in thick black fur and small spines that gradually thin out along the length until they are as naked as those of rats. The first creature is about four feet long, the second only about three and a half. Each comes up to about a foot from the ground at the shoulder.

The creatures tense up upon seeing you, growls rising in their throats as they suck air into their noses, smelling the air. One looks down to the corpses and its mouth opens, letting out streams of bright yellow drool. After a moment it looks back up to you and lets out a snarling bark, leaping forwards to attack.

Knowledge (Nature) DC 11
These things are referred to as "carcass eaters" or "corpse dogs". They tend to eat carrion, but can be incredibly aggressive if they think that there is competition.
DC 16
When blood is in the air these creatures go into a frenzy like that of a barbarian, clawing and biting wildly with no thought for defense.

DM Rolls:
Monstah 1: [roll0]
Monstah 2: [roll1]

The Map:
{table]-|-
M1|M2
S|G
K|L
-|-
[/table]
Key:
Morah-Lin=L
Kator=K
Golgatha=G
Soren=S

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-27, 08:56 AM
Initiative. [roll0]

PersonMan
2011-04-27, 09:13 AM
Initative:
Monster 1-23
Kator-18
Soren-17
Monster 2-13
Morah-Lin(?)
Golgatha(?)

The beast growls, looking from the orc to the gnome in front of it before slicing at the gnome, following with a bite from its oversized maw. Its claws, however, do nothing but scratch against the chain the gnome wears. It jumps forwards to bite, but Soren is easily able to dodge it, leaving the creature with nothing to show for its attacks but a few chips in its claws.

DM:
Claw [roll0]
Claw 2 [roll1]
Bite [roll2]
Damage:
1(1d2-1)
1(1d2-1)
[roll3]

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-27, 12:23 PM
Golgatha recoils slightly at the sight of the bizarre, unwholesome creatures. He spares a brief second to look over his shoulder at the Morah. "Relatives of yours?"[/color][/b]

Turning back he heaves his mace high over his head, using both hands to bring it down with all his strength, hoping to end the wretched creatures life quickly.

Initiative: [roll0]

Power Attack
[roll1]
[roll2]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-27, 12:36 PM
It's not your turn, it's my turn!

Kator lashes out with his glaive at monster 2.[roll0]

Damage: [roll1]

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-27, 12:58 PM
Morah lifts an eyebrow. "No, just our previous allies before your people. We decided we didn't want to work with anything so smart. Try not to let them injure you, they're mad for blood." Unfortunately, as he draws an arrow it catches on his cloak, and the struggle to free it slows his reaction down considerably. When he frees it, however, he'll fire it at whichever corpse dog represents more of a threat at that point.*

Knowledge: Nature
[roll0]

Initiative
[roll1]

*Whichever is raging, if it's only one, or whichever's on lower HP, if one is lower than the other. Otherwise, dealer's choice - the one with the shinier fangs or something equally silly. I won't make my rolls now (foreknowledge might influence somebody's actions) but attack roll is 1d20+8 (point blank shot applies) and damage roll is 1d8+2 (same) in case you get a chance to resolve my turn before it's my initiative.

TekHed
2011-04-28, 12:42 AM
Morah lifts an eyebrow. "No, just our previous allies before your people. We decided we didn't want to work with anything so smart. Try not to let them injure you, they're mad for blood." Unfortunately, as he draws an arrow it catches on his cloak, and the struggle to free it slows his reaction down considerably. When he frees it, however, he'll fire it at whichever corpse dog represents more of a threat at that point.*

Soren nods in acknowledgment, deciding that they could use a tactical advantage and that the glancing blow of the foul beastie's claws had been too close for comfort. First things first, put some distance between himself and the slobbering monster.

Lashing out with one end of his kusarigama Soren finessed the sickled blade around one of the creature's forelimbs so that the hooked blade caught on the chain, providing a solid grip. Next, with a heave that belied his small stature, Soren dive-rolled towards it, in the process whipping back on the chain in an attempt to launch his opponent through the air, clean over Kator's head and slamming it to the ground at the orcish warrior's feet.

Still dive rolling forward, the shadows of the room seem to thicken around Soren for a moment as he ends up just behind where the moster had been standing before. Coming out of the roll, the chained sickle whips back through the air, Soren's hand reaching out to intercept the handle in preparation for his next attack againt the second monster whom he now flanked with Golgatha.

Maneuvers Readied:

Warblade: Sudden Leap, Wolf Fang Strike, Leading the Attack

Swordsage: Burning Blade, Mighty Throw, Counter Charge, Distracting Ember.

Swift action: Change stance from Hunter's Sense to Child of Shadows. (Note: Out of combat I stay in Hunter's Sense so I pretty much have Scent active all the time, for future reference...I imagine these things smell nasty but then again...so do the corpses...)

Standard Action: Initiate Mighty Throw Strike:

Touch Attack [roll0]
Dexterity Check to Trip: [roll1]

Note: This Trip attack does not provoke any AoO from either the creature, or to the creature from my allies it moves past. It gets a +4 on the resisted roll (using Str or Dex whichever is higher) for having more than 2 legs. If I win I can move it anywhere within 10' and I can move it through occupied squares. If successful it ends up behind Kator, Prone, taking a -4 AC vs. melee attacks and attacking itself at -4. If it takes a move action to stand up it provokes an AoO.

Next: Move action 10' forward past M2: Tumble check to avoid AoO (DC 15) [roll2]. If successful M2 is now flanked. Soren gains concealment until his next turn from moving 10' in Child of Shadows Stance.

Edit: great rolls! For my first actions in combat I'd say that was a rousing success. :smallsmile:

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 03:53 AM
Initative:
Monster 1-23
Kator-18
Soren-17
Monster 2-13
Golgatha-13
Morah-Lin-4

Although he has trouble keeping his glaive aligned with the creature, Kator is able to essentially skewer it with a single thrust, leaving it just barely standing.

Mere moments after he pulls his weapon from the body of the beast, another lands at his feet, making a sort of half-whimpering noise and feebling clawing at Morah-Lin.

Just as Golgatha is about to bring his weapon down, the second beastie lashes out suddenly, both of its claws connecting, slicing into the orc's skin for 1 damage each. It follows up with its teeth, almost cutting into the warrior-cleric's intestines, but missing and merely carving up 1 more point of skin.

The creature doesn't have time to fly into a blood-rage, however, as it is promptly smashed into the stone ground by Golgatha's attack, its bones cracking and flesh giving way under the blow. It lies, twitching, on the ground, still alive but unable to move.

Morah-Lin quickly switches targets from the now-incapacitated monster to the one in next to him, firing a shot that catches the creature right in the large artery on its side, causing it to let out a howl and collapse.

Both of these things are incapacitated and will bleed to death within a minute. What do you do?

Rewards:
75 XP for everyone! Woohoo!

For those with burning curiosity:
These were Carcass Eaters, from page 91 of Libris Mortis.

DM:
Monstah Trip-Resist: [roll0]
Monstah AOO: [roll1]
Monstah Damage: 1(1d2-1)
--
Monstah 2 attack: [roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
1, 1, [roll5]

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-28, 04:47 AM
Morah-Liln whips out a second arrow as soon as the second is fired, and scans for additional targets. Seeing none, he returns it to his quiver, and walks over to examine creature he shot, nodding appreciatively at the damage his arrow did and noting with a slight shrug that the arrow is unsalvageable.*

He turns to Golgatha to make a biting remark, and notices what seem to be minor scratches on the orc's body. "They aren't poisonous, avoid an infection and you should be all right. You orcs are supposed to be tough, after all."

The matter seemingly well in hand, he turns to examine the corpses the other orc uncovered, matter-of-factly patting down the elf for items of value. After all, he reasons, the bastard probably killed the gnomes beside him - he may as well do some good with his miserable life.

I know the rules say arrows can NEVER be salvaged once they hit something, but that's silly, so I may as well lampshade it in-character once. :smalltongue: Also, if he does in fact see something dangerous, let me know and I'll (obviously) take different actions.

Spot:
[roll0]

Search:
[roll1]

TekHed
2011-04-28, 04:51 AM
Soren stands up, brushing some dust off of his rugged yet well made made clothing and stowing his chain-weapon...thankfully not sullied with the necrophage's foul smelling ichors.

"Good teamwork." he says to his fated companions.

He moves to search the corpses as he continues to address them.

"These are carrion eaters by the looks of it...probably just defending their snack. These men are far too stalwart to have been taken down by the likes of such vermin. The question is...who did kill them, and why? Perhaps their possessions will give us clues to their identities..."

PersonMan
2011-04-28, 06:25 AM
Captain Platypus:
The elf carries a well-made longsword that has a small crystal attached to it. He also carries three potions, each with an illustration on the bottle. One has a shield, one a pair of hands and the last a single hand blocking a pair of eyes.

Oddly enough, you don't see anything that might have caused his death-it seems like he simply fell over and died.

TekHed:
The total possessions of the corpses:
-2 well-made longswords(one med, one small)
-one well-made shortbow(med)
-2 well-made daggers(small)
-3 odd-looking potions, with illustrations on the bottles(one with a shield, one with a pair of hands and one with a single hand blocking a pair of eyes)
-one pair of bracers seemingly made of glass, with stylized lightning bolts on them
-a hat, which was a hair clip until it fell off of the elf's head, causing the elf's body to change-enough to make it obvious that this male is...actually a female
-4 odd, small crystals, two attached to armor and two to weapons
-a gold-and-silver brooch in the shape of a shield with a few small dents in it

The two beasts bleed. Outside the shouting begins to die down and you hear the tolling of bells-the sound of an early curfew. If you get caught on the streets after the bells stop ringing, you'll be arrested.

The only time the occupation forces instituted an early curfew before today was about two months ago, when an explosion had destroyed the newly-built Integration Office. Something serious must have happened out there.

TekHed
2011-04-28, 07:33 AM
"Well now...that's interesting. All is not as it seems, and these unfortunate souls seem to be steeped in no small amount of magic." Soren soliloquies as he tries on the female elf's hat, suddenly appearing as the the dead male elf she had appeared to be only a moment ago.

"I wonder who she was." Soren sets the weapons aside, removing the crytals and stashing them in a pouch along with the potions, the bracers, the amulet and any gold he can find. He rifles through twice to see if they have any identification or traveling papers.

"I have a contact in the resistance who can help us identify what, if any of their gear might also be enchanted."

Upon hearing the curfew bell, Soren the Elf frowns, but starts pushing aside debris blocking the doors he had spotted earlier...the ones with the holes in them.

OOC:
I'll keep track of the inventory unless anyone objects. I figure at least I should keep the Hat of Disguise (obviously) since the rest of you are occupation races. I'm not attached to any of it though so don;t think I'm just grabbing it all for me. You guyus can grab the weapons if you want them or just want to sell them...could help pay for the identify. On that note, I assumed a contact/fence in the resistance who can help. If that's not ok I can edit it.

Any gold or other coin on them?

Any papers?

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-28, 08:57 AM
Kator quickly finishes off the two monsters, a mercy kill.

He then take a look at the broach and the medium-sized longsword with a crystal in it.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-28, 12:33 PM
Golgatha pulls his mace from the body of the carrion eater with a wet sucking sound. He looks down at the wounds from the beast, considering whether he should heal them or save his energies for later.

He looks back to the elf. "Hmmm, I think you're right, there's no way these beasts could be related to elves. An elf wouldn't have been able to do this." Golgatha gestures to one of the claw wounds."

He takes a second to pull a slow match from his belt, and light it, keeping the burning match in his hand.

""If they're magical, maybe we're better off waiting to have them identified. I'd rather not play with anything that might do something... unexpected."

Golgatha bends down over the elf's corpse, ripping strips from it's clothing, and fashioning them into crude bandages to cover his wounds.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-28, 02:05 PM
We should get going, we don't wanna be caught.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-04-28, 03:35 PM
Morah-Liln nods. If those things could find us here, so can others, perhaps not so easily dealt with. Let's get moving - I ache to be out of this city, not to mention this...cave. Before he suits actions to words, however, he picks up the shortbow the once-gnome has set aside, examining it and testing the draw.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-04-28, 04:14 PM
Golgatha nods without speaking, placing the end of the burning match in his mouth to free up both hands, he begins ripping more clothing from the corpse, and using the cloth to fashion a makeshift bundle for the remaining belongings.

Once done, he unfastens the cap of his mace, reading the weapon to be fired. Spitting out the slow match, he points towards the door with his chin. "Shall we?"

TekHed
2011-04-28, 07:53 PM
Soren removes the hat, his form shimmering back into the tall gnome you know him as. Stashing the hat in his pack, he raises a hand to hold the orc. "I believe I've discovered a means of egress. Just a moment..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-04-28, 07:54 PM
Kator waits for Soren.

TekHed
2011-05-08, 04:52 AM
"There is a passageway yonder, and it looks like our only way up...is down." The tall gnome said with a bit of cavalier amusement. He slips nimbly through one of the gnome-sized holes he had discovered, leaving it to the brawny bigfolk to pry open the heavy slab.

"Stay close, and be ready for anything. Whatever killed those warriors back their is likely still down here somewhere."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-08, 09:11 AM
Kator smashes the wood with his glaive.

Sunder: [roll0]

PersonMan
2011-05-08, 10:10 AM
The wood of the door is smashed by Kator's attack, allowing easy passage into the hallway beyond.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-08, 10:34 AM
He follows the gnome.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-05-08, 02:45 PM
Golgatha follows, the the burning slow match adding it's own cloying scent to the must of the passage. He keeps his fire arm at the ready, preparing to fire at a moments notice.

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-08, 04:48 PM
Morah-Liln brings up the rear, his longbow safely fastened to his back, the shortbow - better suited to potential use in close quarters - at the ready. He keeps an arrow loose, ready to draw, not wanting to make the same mistake he did last time.

"Let's move quickly. The sooner we're out of this place, the better."

PersonMan
2011-05-09, 12:56 AM
The hallway continues for several hundred feet before its slope becomes steeper and it turns into an elongated stairway, of sorts-each step is several feet long. There's an odd smell in the air-a fusion of gunpowder and something none of you really recognize. Seemingly at random there are smashed pieces of wood lying around the remains of some sort of wooden post-after seeing enough of them you realize that these are the remains of signposts.

After about five minutes of walking you all hear a sort of muffled scream, coming from around a nearby bend. At the intersection, you see that you have three paths apart form the one you just came from. One, going to the right and continuing down, seems to lead to the source of the scream, whereas the left route goes sharply upwards, leading to a ladder bathed in light from above. The third option is straight ahead-the hallways continues downwards, but it seems to be far less maintained after this point, with structural damage visible in some places. Rather than being properly repaired, the area beyond the intersection was simply propped up by numerous strong supports and left to decay.

TekHed
2011-05-10, 04:45 AM
Without hesitating, Soren darts into the tunnel to the right, drawing his weapon and softening his footsteps so as to get a closer look at what he is running towards.

Move Silently: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-10, 05:17 AM
Morah-Liln swears under his breath - something elvish and far longer than you would expect. He sidesteps to gain a slightly better view and draws back the arrow he's kept ready, ready to fire it at the appearance of anything dangerous.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-10, 11:28 AM
Katie puts his glaive away and takes out his bow, ready to fire.

Spot: [roll0]

Odin the Ignoble
2011-05-10, 12:39 PM
Golgotha looks briefly at the at the ladder and it's promise of safety before turning back to follow the rest of the party. To hell will me if I'll let an elf out man me.

PersonMan
2011-05-11, 07:27 AM
The hallway continues around the bend, going about 20 feet before reaching what appears to be a stone door. The scream seems to be coming from within, although it suddenly stops as you enter the side-hallway.

The door is obviously very sturdy, made not to look good but to withstand as much force as possible before falling. There doesn't seem to be a way of opening it from the outside, although there is something carved into the wall next to it-a single word.

After a few moments another scream comes from beyond the door-although this one sounds different form the first. It takes a moment, but now that you're closer to the source it sounds like a man's screams-you can't really tell if he is an elf, gnome, orc, or something else, however.

Elven-speakers:
Yep, it's in Elven.

The word is a bit difficult to read, but after a short time you recognize it as the name of a specific type of bread favored by Wood Elves, translating roughly to "fresh-bake".

CaptainPlatypus
2011-05-12, 03:37 AM
Morah gestures at the word written beside the door. "Why don't you read that for us, friend orc? Your people have always been well suited to surviving their mistakes, and I don't feel like getting covered in dough today."

Morah also mutters the word under his breath experimentally, to see if it has any effect on the door.

PersonMan
2011-05-12, 05:48 AM
Morah:
The muttered word doesn't seem to cause anything to happen.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-12, 09:20 AM
Kator scratches his head.

"What do we do now? And what does bread have to do with anything?"

He looks at the others.

"We might be able to break down the door if we combine our efforts."

OOC: Use aid another.

TekHed
2011-05-14, 06:19 AM
Soren stops at the door, reads the inscription, looks to the others, and shrugs.

On a whim, he extrudes a stiletto blade hidden within a sliding sheath attached to the inside of his bracer. With a flourish, the blade spontaneously combusts with a bright flare, an orange flame with a violet core, and he touches the heated metal to the symbol.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-05-22, 02:37 PM
"Nine hells if I know."

Golgotha looks at the door as if it offends him. He checks the jam to see if he can see hinges or a lock. If he finds one he'll attempt to shoot it off.

Failing that, he'll back up and attempt to ram the door preferably with the help of another party member.

Strength Check:
[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-22, 04:35 PM
Kator helps ram the door.

Aid another strength check: [roll0]

PersonMan
2011-05-23, 02:10 PM
The door seems to give for a moment before suddenly stopping making a slamming noise-you can hear a faint shout from the other side of the stone.

The carving in the wall doesn't seem to respond to the sudden prod from the heated metal, although you do hear what sounds like heavy bolts being moved on the other side of the door.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-28, 05:00 PM
"Who's there?" Kator shouts.

TekHed
2011-05-28, 06:28 PM
"Hmm. That did something....I wonder..."

Concentrating, and again interweaving his fingers into holy arcane symbols, Soren summons a small fiery elemental, which then contacts the plate and remains there for several seconds before disappearing in a puff of ash and smoke.

PersonMan
2011-05-29, 06:07 AM
From the other side of the door you hear a muffled voice saying Stop! In the name of the Erishian Occupational Government, I order you to stay where you are and drop any weapons you may be holding! as the noise continues, followed after a few seconds by the door slowly swinging open.

The small flame-being that Morah-Lin summons doesn't seem to do much more than put a burn mark on the wall.

In the time before it opens fully you have about one round's worth of time to act-what do you do?

TekHed
2011-05-29, 08:11 PM
Well now this was odd...seeing as they had all rushed here to the rescue.

Soren keeps his weapons close at hand and takes a few steps back, ready to defend himself from whatever is on the other side...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-29, 08:15 PM
"Who was screaming in there?" Kator yells. He keeps his glaive in his hands.

Odin the Ignoble
2011-05-31, 10:43 PM
Gogatha backs up, aiming his gun at the door, and lowering his match to the touch hole. Preparing to unload on whatever was on the other side of the door.

PersonMan
2011-06-06, 04:18 AM
The door finally comes fully open, and two heavily armored people stand in the doorway. They are each covered head to toe in metal, with only small visors allowing them to see. Each of them carries a large steel shield with a strange emblem on it-a modified version of the Erishian royal crest. In the other hand they each carry a fairly normal-looking longsword, although it seems a bit shoddy when compared to their armor, which was obviously crafted by a master smith. Their shields are equally well-made, fortified beyond the level of normal ones by layers of metal woven into a sort of web-like covering. The gauntlets that the soldiers have seem to have been enhanced as well, and there are small purple gems built into each knuckle.

Details:
Alright, you guys have a surprise round. Post your actions in it, your initiative and your first round actions all at once and I'll order them.

New and improved map. (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&hl=en_US#gid=0)

The name has nothing to do with the situation-it's a map I was using before for something else.

Knowledge(local) DC 13 or Wisdom DC 15
Normal soldiers don't carry this sort of equipment, especially if they're just occupational forces.

DM Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-06, 10:36 AM
Wisdom check.

[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-06-06, 10:37 AM
And initiative.

[roll0]

TekHed
2011-06-25, 02:20 AM
Edit: Great initiative...crappy attack rolls. Oh GitP... :smallmad:

Actions:
Standard: Wolf Fang Strike (closest opponent)
Move: 5 foot step back.

Attack 1: [roll1]
Damage [roll2]

Attack 2: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Soren, seeing the hated enemy before his as the wrought door slid aside, yelled his fury before lashing out with both ends of his kusari-gama. "For freedom!"

Regardless of the outcome of his strikes, he quickly retreats backwards a few feet, the better to take advantage of the reach of his weapon...

Hiro Protagonest
2011-07-10, 02:25 PM
((I assume Kator is in the red square))

He quickly moves his glaive, lashing out with surprising agility.

[roll0]

[roll1]

Aiming at guard 2.

yugi24862
2011-08-17, 05:09 AM
Flaven launches a poisoned arrow at a guard, then steps back and quickly fires off 2 more, hoping to punch through the armour and knock them out before his allies were hurt.

Actions

At B4
Fire a posioned arrow at G1, using a IP to boost attack [roll0] damage [roll1]
Initative [roll2]
5ft step back
Rapid shot, one at each. all posioned. one on G2 use a IP to boost attack [roll3] damage [roll4] one at G1, without IP attack [roll5] damage [roll6]

Flashback
I'm not sure what I should be putting here. I'm sorry I took to long , didn't notice what I had to do for awhile.

Vladislav
2011-08-17, 09:33 AM
Petal

The young Druid waves her hands and rubs a small dab of fatty pork between her fingers. Sweat for me, mother Earth! As she finishes her incantation, the stones become slippery with fat and grease. The guards are having a hard time staying on their feet...

Sick'em, boy! She sends Fang into the fray, while supporting him from the rear.

Actions
Wisdom check [roll0]
Surprise round action: cast Grease, centered right behind both guards,as to affect them, but not my allies. Reflex 15 or fall over. Armor Failure chance [roll1] (1-10 fails)

Free action: send Fang to attack

Fang: [roll2] (add +4 if target fell) dmg [roll3]

Initiative: [roll4]

1st round action: stab with the spear! (10' reach) [roll5] (+4 if prone) dmg [roll6]; if there's no room for Petal to do so, she instead hangs at the back and uses her crossbow (only +3 to attack, and no bonus to damage)

Fang keeps munching on them: attack [roll7] (add +4 if target fell) dmg [roll8]

Also, whoever attempts to stand up from prone, provokes an attack of opportunity.

Flashback
Hi, I'm Petal, and apprently I have been with you since the start!

PersonMan
2011-08-19, 05:06 PM
Initiative Order
Petal - 22
Soren - 19
Flaven - 14
Kator - 13
Guard 1 - 8
Guard 2 - 7

The first guard shifts his weight as the ground underneath him suddenly becomes slippery and loses his balance, crashing to the floor in a spectacularly loud fashion. The second is more careful and is able to avoid most of the most dangerous areas, his feet at slight angles to allow him to get a better grip.

Petal's spear hits the guard solidly, cutting through a chink in the man's armor and cutting deeply for 10 damage. Fang's first attack is warded off by the flailing shield of the dropped guard, but his second catches him in the leg, inflicting 9 damage on the still-prone Elrishian.

Soren's twin attacks miss, deflected by the thick metal protecting the guards.

Flaven's burst of arrows is fairly effective, both of the first two hitting their targets, although the third lodges itself in the web-like steel of the massive shield the standing guard carries. The first arrow he fires stops the flailing movements of the prone guard. The second arrow hits as well, but the guard remains standing despite the 5 damage and poison inflicted by the attacks.

Kator's glaive gets past the second guard's shield, almost grazing it as the man moves to try and block Flaven's arrows, but it hits one of the more thickly armored parts of the Erishian's frame and has no effect.

The guard reacts slowly, perhaps stunned by the sudden death of his comrade, but his sword moves with perfect accuracy, hitting Fang in the side, dealing 8 damage, and nearly hitting a lung. Apparently well-adjusted to moving in such restricting armor, the Erishian moves out of the grease-covered area, apparently confident in his armor's ability to ward of the attacks that this provokes from his enemies. At first, it seems like the man is safe, as Kator's blade is deflected by the Erishian's shield and Soren's is nearly caught within its weblike surface. However, Petal's weapon hits him just as it did his comrade, nearly slicing into his throat before being nudged into his breast, dealing 10 damage and coating the neck and chest of the gleaming Erishian armor in fresh blood. Exploiting the moment of distraction, Fang tries to again bite into his master's enemies, but is unable to get a grip on the smooth steel of the armor.

You fools don't even know what you're doing, are you? Shouting about freedom and attacking us like this-trust me, you wouldn't be doing this if you knew the truth. The elf says from within his armor, the injury obviously changing his voice at first, although it's clear that he can still fight, at least for now...

Petal is up.

Details:
Well, yugi, as you made your attacks with d2s I rerolled them, here. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3156280/) The results were 22 and 16.

Updated Map. (https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&hl=en_US&authkey=CIHnvNIL)

Note: Yes, I did make the hallway wider. I couldn't really fit everyone in there otherwise without having to make half of you redo your actions, so I took the path of least resistance, so to speak.

Lots of extreme rolls this round. A possible crit from the guard and Petal's AOO, as well as a natural 1 for Soren's...

This round also made me wish I could edit in rolls, as basically the entire round's actions on my side depended on the answer do 'do both of these guys fall over?'

DM Rolls:
Ref Saves:
1: [roll0]
2: [roll1]

Guard Attacks:
1: [roll2]
2: [roll3]

1: [roll4]
2: [roll5]

Guard 1 is at -4.
Guard 2 is at 13.

Vladislav
2011-08-19, 06:01 PM
And what is the truth, Elrishian? Drop your weapon and tell us, before I incinerate you with a blast of magic! Fang, pounce at him if he as much as flinches!

Petal hold her spear in one hand, as if ready to cast a spell. She has no blasting magic actually, and hopes the guard will buy her little bluff.

Bluff [roll0]

Fang growls and, despite the pain, is ready to fight back at his mistress' command.

Ready action to attack the Elrishian if he does anything aggressive

PersonMan
2011-08-21, 09:07 AM
The guard hesitates for a moment before answering. I can't tell you what's down there, only that you really don't want to know, especially if you have to do so first hand because it killed all of us! He says agitatedly, his grip on his weapon tightening.

Fang's eyes look at the bloodied blade for a moment, seeing the slight movements of the armor indicating movement below it and attacks. The guard, anticipating another strike from the animal, moves his shield to block but isn't fast enough, Fang's teeth sinking into his flesh through a weak point in the Elrishian's armor, dealing 6 damage. The guard sways but stays up.

DM Rolls:
Guard: [roll0]

Fang: [roll1]
[roll2]

Notes: Guard 1 is at -5.
Guard 2 is at 6.

TekHed
2011-08-26, 11:13 PM
"Hold beast!" The unnaturally tall gnome shouted.

"Now Erishian...you are outnumbered and gravely wounded, and we are not in a position to take prisoners. If you value your life at all you will cooperate. Or are you so devoted to your gods that we should send you with haste to meet them?"

Holding action...

PersonMan
2011-08-27, 10:41 AM
The Elrishian stands still for a few moments, his armor keeping his expression hidden, the only movement a slow turn of his head as he looks at the weapons arrayed against him. He seems to be about to say something when another scream comes up from from down the stairs, far more audible with the door open, accompanied by an unnatural voice shouting Yes! Die! Feel the suffering you so eagerly thrust upon me!

Another two screams follow, one male and one female. The earlier scream was deep and probably that of an orc, while these two are definitely elves.

Al-alright. The guard says, obviously shaken by the noises coming from down the stairs. I won't stand in your way. Go down there if you want, but I don't recommend it. As to what's down there...well, all I know is that it's going on a killing spree and slaughtering everything it sees. He says, dropping his weapon and turning aside so that you can move past him before crouching as well as his armor will let him and tending to his comrade, who is unconscious but still breathing.

Vladislav
2011-08-28, 02:29 PM
Petal

The druid is ready to proceed past the vanquished guard, her heart pumping with the excitement of danger and challenge, but suddenly notices the pool of blood spreading around Fang, and the sickeningly large gash. Their small victory came at a cost...

Please ... she asks, her voice breaking, can anyone help Fang? We need to go down there and help those people, but Fang can't fight with us when he's hurt like that.

To herself, Petal wonders why the Spirit of the Glade, in her infinite wisdom, didn't grant her the power of healing. Perhaps she needs to be more staunch in her faith.

TekHed
2011-08-29, 01:16 AM
Upon hearing the screams, Soren narrows his eyes, stiletto inching closer to the guard.

"Who is down there? More of your companions? ...and I don't want to go down there...I'm trying to find the way up out of this sewer-maze...where is the nearest exit?"

Hearing the odd druid crying, Soren gives her an odd look. "Didn't commune any healing spells? Doesn't matter...we need to get topside, and weather the storm out there until it dies down."

PersonMan
2011-08-29, 01:51 AM
The guards looks up from his efforts. Ah, well, you seemed-nevermind. You should be able to leave through a ladder, somewhere...Yes, my comrades are still down there, fighting that thing. He says. I don't know this place very well, but I was told there was way out nearby.

TekHed
2011-08-29, 03:43 AM
"What were you doing down here? We were in a room when the floor collapsed dropping us down here. We had no quarrel with you or your bleeding out comrade there...I suppose you'll want to aid your mates down there then..."

PersonMan
2011-08-29, 01:10 PM
I was given orders to keep civilians from going down into the tunnels. The guard says, looking up. The other man doesn't seem to be bleeding any more.

If you have no quarrel with us, why did you attack when we opened the door? He asks, both confused and obviously angry.

TekHed
2011-09-01, 10:08 PM
"We heard screaming and assumed you were hostiles. And besides, we do not recognize the sovereignty of your occupation. You are the trespasser here..."

The small monk (who appeared as a normal human thanks to the magic of his new headwear) took a step back waving his stiletto in the direction of the screams. "Now go. Aid your companions and die an honorable death before I have you put down for seeing our faces..."

PersonMan
2011-09-02, 01:04 AM
Hmph. The guard says, standing slowly and taking his sword. He doesn't, however, move to go down the stairs, but rather moves into a defensive stance. You know, when I was told about the barbaric practices of the people here, I assumed that the reports were exaggerated. I guess they weren't. I won't bow to you or your threats-I'll stay here and do what I must to fulfill my orders. He says.

TekHed
2011-09-02, 03:27 AM
"Very well. If that is your wish..."

The spiked end of the Kusari-gama in Soren's hands lashed out liek a snake's tongue, wrapping around the Erish soldier's weapon and ripping at it from his grasp.

Technically a disarm provokes an AoO but Soren took a 5 foot step back so he's out of the longsword's reach.

Disarm: [roll0]
Counter disarm if needed:[roll1]

PersonMan
2011-09-08, 01:25 PM
The guard looks at his weapon and sighs. You're the oddest bunch of rebels I've seen. He says.

OOC:
Initiative time.

DM
[roll0]

TekHed
2011-09-08, 06:05 PM
Does that mean I succeeded on my disarm attempt?

yugi24862
2011-09-12, 11:42 AM
Initative:[roll0]

PersonMan
2011-09-13, 12:53 PM
Initiative Order
Soren - 23
Flaven - 14
Petal - 13
Kator - 11
Guard 2 - 4

Flaven is up.

PersonMan
2011-09-29, 01:16 PM
Initiative Order
Soren - 23
Flaven - 14
Petal - 13
Kator - 11
Guard 2 - 4

Flaven snaps his bow into firing position quickly and in a moment two arrows fly at the Elrishian. Both hit, despite the inaccuracy brought on by the rapid rate of fire, the first for 10 damage and the second for 7 damage. The Elrishian collapses quickly, and the second arrow ends his life.

Petal is up. Combat is over.

Rolls:
[roll0]
[roll1]
and
[roll2]
[roll3]

Vladislav
2011-09-29, 01:25 PM
Petal shakes her head sadly over the guard's body. At least she didn't have to send Fang into battle again. Can we now leave this place?

TekHed
2011-10-02, 09:55 AM
"Well, I wasn't hired to be a rat-catcher," replied the unusually tall gnome. "And even if I had been," he continued "whatever is infesting these tunnels are definitely not rodents..."

He met the eyes of his impromptu companions and fighting comrades. "I say we take our chances topside, find a safehouse to go to ground..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-02, 10:38 AM
"If we go, I want to come back later. This thing could be a potential base, or a tunnel network, or an Erish secret base. We need to get something to draw a map of it though."

TekHed
2011-10-02, 11:40 AM
"Do you feel we should take that on now while we're here?" Soren...who had introduced himself as Damien (and who was still disguised as human under his dashing new magical hat). "I'm concerned that was lies deeper may be much bigger than what we faced initially. Those soldiers were pretty frightened...we may need to supply ourselves properly for a clean sweep operation."

PersonMan
2011-10-02, 02:03 PM
I'm not sure...Those guards didn't seem all that good to me. Flaven says, looking down at the corpse of the guard killed by his arrows. Besides, it could be that he was lying, and the thing that's down there could end up being an ally of the resistance. After a moment, the human turns to Petal. What do you think? It seems like our best bet is to stick together for now, so we might as well put all of our heads together.

A moment after he speaks, you all feel a faint shaking under your feet.

TekHed
2011-10-03, 05:54 AM
"Are you daft? Did you not get a good look at those abominations that jumped us when we first fell into this pit? If that's your idea of an ally then...what's that? Do you feel that?" he asked in response to the faint tremors.

Vladislav
2011-10-03, 12:52 PM
I just want to get out of here so we can get help for Fang. The druid responds with a voice as shaky as the ground below.

TekHed
2011-10-04, 06:24 PM
"Right." Answered the gnome. "We withdraw and tend to our wounded, and leave the Erish to their fate. We'll come back and explore later when we're better equipped and have the means to heal ourselves."

After brooding on that for a moment he realizes something and shoots an odd look at Petal. "Don't you druids have access to healing magicks?"

Vladislav
2011-10-04, 10:39 PM
As I said, the Spirit, in Her infinite wisdom, chose not to grant me those. I had this ... I never told this to anyone before ... I had this dream, where I was walking through a field of lilies, and I saw an insect. As I leaned to examine it, I heard Her voice. She said I am her beloved child, but still a child and have much to learn.

I think this means I need to work hard and get closer to nature to have Her trust me with better magic.

TekHed
2011-10-04, 11:11 PM
"Great...a probationary druid..." He grimaces as he rummages into his belt pouch and withdraws a small flask. "I was saving this for myself but I'm as yet uninjured, Fang can have it. Hopefully I won't regret this later. Go on, take it, before I change my mind..."

potion of cure light wounds

PersonMan
2011-10-05, 08:03 AM
Flaven shrugs. I assumed that whatever is down there isn't one of those creatures from earlier. Seeing as they didn't seem capable of speech, but it was shouting about suffering...It seems like the Erish have made themselves an enemy down there, one strong enough that they can't deal with it easily. He says.

Vladislav
2011-10-05, 09:14 AM
"Great...a probationary druid..."

Petal laughs nervously. I never thought about it this way, but yes, probationary does sum it up nicely. Thank you, kind gnome, for your help. She feeds the potion to Fang, and smiles as his wounds close. [roll0]

She then considers Flaven's point. If the Erish made themselves an enemy ... any reason why should we help them?

TekHed
2011-10-06, 06:33 PM
"Well, we did rush down here hearing screams for help," Soren mused. "Though I had assumed the cries were just from these Erish being slaughtered by some abomination. They certainly didn't seem to be faking their fear..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-07, 03:45 PM
"Let's just go."

He walks... whichever way is out, his glaive over his shoulder.

PersonMan
2011-10-08, 06:33 AM
The short way to the ladder is free of obstacles. The ladder goes up and ends in an alley. The hole down(which you're coming up from) is well-hidden, and several crates block the view of the street. One side of the alley, the one you face as you come up from the ladder, appears to be quite run-down, with damage from the war still visible in the cracked walls and boarded up windows. The other side is more well-kept, although it's clear that whoever owns the building doesn't care about the view from the alley much, and trash has built up along that wall. The alley is fairly long, about 80 feet, with the closer 'end' being 30 feet away and the crates around 15. The long 'side' extends for 40 feet before being blocked by the burned remains of a smashed wagon, with assorted other debris mixed into the pile.

Not far from you, perhaps 10 feet, in the direction of the wagon-rubble and at the damaged wall, is a crouching figure, looking at you suspiciously with one hand hidden within the dark cloak that conceals almost all details of the figure's form. It's difficult to tell exactly how large the figure is, as it's crouching and wrapped in a large cloak, but it seems like one of the short folk(although it's not clear whether halfling or gnome). The figure's face is half-hidden by the fabric of the cloak, and with its free hand the figure is pulling the hood down as far as possible, leaving only one green eye and a patch of brown hair visible.

"Who are you?" The gnome/halfling asks as you all come into view, their voice muffled by the fabric of the cloak.

Rewards(from guard-fight):
150 XP for you all.

TekHed
2011-10-08, 11:15 PM
Soren crawled up out of the hole, grateful for his disguise.

In response to the squatters query he replied,

"Oh, you know...just a few innocent bystanders who fell down a hole. Decided not to stay though. Who are you?" asked, arching an eyebrow.

PersonMan
2011-10-11, 02:18 PM
The figure doesn't move much, although it seems like s/he is shifting their weight slightly.

I'll tell you who I am once I know I can trust you. Three humans and an orc...aren't exactly the most trust-winning group. The figure replies. For now, I'll give you an answer like you gave me: I'm an innocent bystander who is in this alleyway, and is about to leave. Surveying you all for a few moments, the figure eventually speaks again. Wait...you aren't from the Freedom Wolves, are you? I heard that they got taken down, but there've been all sorts of rumors about them having an underground base in the city. The posture of the figure changes slightly, showing a slight release of tension.

Actually...my father led the Freedom Wolves. I'm Flaven of the Wolfshadow group. Flaven says slowly, after a moment. Like you heard, most of our group was killed in an ambush. Can't say we've got an underground base, though. The archer says, glancing to the group as he speaks. I know for a fact that these people are no friends of the Elrish. He adds.

If this is true, then I have order to...well, first, I'd want to hear from the rest of you. It seems like he's telling the truth - I've been in contact with the Wolfshadows myself - but I still don't know who you are. I know that it may seem odd for me to ask this, as I'm still hiding my identity, but I'd like to know who you are. I have a way of telling if someone is faking their name, so don't try it. If none of you are lying, I'll bring you to Kr-eh, my superior. The cloaked figure says. Their posture has changed more, and rather than seeming ready for battle, it seems like only a fragment of their original suspicion remains.

Vladislav
2011-10-11, 02:32 PM
Petal never heard of the Freedom Wolves, but she figures it sure does no harm for their reputation to have a wolf with them. Well, I'll be damned if Fang here isn't wolf who fights for freedom. In fact, he just helped dispose of a couple of Elrishians.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-11, 04:12 PM
Kator scratches the back of his head.
"I'm kinda new to this, I deserted the army when the firearms started appearing, and was looking for a resistance base..."

TekHed
2011-10-11, 05:32 PM
Soren coughed uncomfortably and stood a little straighter.

"Well now...this...is awkward." He looked at his impromptu companions. "I'm afraid I haven't been entirely forthcoming with you. My name is not Damian Vanderschmidt as I had previously said. That man died over a year ago and I took his place, at least where paper trails are concerned. I prefer not to use my real name for fear it could compromise both my safety and my effectiveness in aiding the resistance." He shrugged at the cloaked figure.

"Surely you undestand...?"

PersonMan
2011-10-12, 09:07 AM
So, we've got the son of an old army commander, an orc deserter, a lightly armored woman with a wolf companion and someone smart enough to take a fake name... The cloaked figure says, more to themself than you.

I'll bring you to the one in charge of our group. The figure says after a few moments of consideration, knocking on a door set into the ill-preserved wall. The door opens and another short figure-this one clearly a male gnome- stands in the doorway. The figure indicates you all with a move of her head, and nods. The gnome raises his eyebrows for a moment, shrugs and enters the building. The figure follows, waving to you to follow.

Vladislav
2011-10-12, 09:24 AM
a lightly armored woman with a wolf companion
Well, now that we're following you, an introduction may be in order. I am Petal Lightstrider, druid-initiate of the Moonshine grove, the young woman says, as she and Fang follow the mysterious stranger past the gnome-guarded door.

TekHed
2011-10-14, 05:21 AM
Soren followed the others through the doorway but remained wary. He most certainly did not take off his hat. He didn't like how suddenly this new development had occurred and decided not to trust it just yet. All of his senses were on high alert...

Sense motive: [roll]1d20+6[/roll

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-14, 06:49 PM
Kator complies and follows.

PersonMan
2011-10-17, 06:44 AM
Inside is a room that, although it's quite large, seems fairly small. All sorts of small items, old books, the occasional broken weapon have been somehow precariously stacked up on the walls, blocking whatever windows may be present. The ceiling is about 13 feet high, although you see what appears to be the last remnant of a floorboard still clinging to a wall only partially covered by junk, which leads you to conclude that there were once two floors here, rather than a single room.

Several lanterns and lamps light the room, as well as two glowing metal rods obviously taken from light posts by force(the non-glowing halves of the rods are twisted and one is broken at the end). Apart from the cloaked figure, who seats herself on an old once-luxurious chair on the edge of one of the junk piles, you are the only ones there. The male gnome is gone.

The back end of the room narrows down and is filled with more junk, enough to make it difficult to move across quickly, and several burning candles surround a small pile of cushions. You can smell some sort of incense coming from a few smoking boxes decorated with stars and moons, sitting next to the candles.

After sitting down, the figure pulls down her hood(you can tell her gender and race now: she's a female gnome) and gestures to several other chairs, mostly gnome-sized. There are two which appear to be two-gnome seats and would fit an orc or wide human well, but the only other truly comfortable seat is one halfway up one of the junk piles.

It could be a few minutes, he's probably busy with something he'll want to wrap up before coming out here. The gnome says, toying with a bent-up fork she picked from a broken crate which appears to be filled with unusable silverware.

Vladislav
2011-10-18, 12:42 PM
Petal orders Fang to sit tight and cease his growling, while she herself looks around the room curiously. Where did they get so much junk?

So, she asks the female gnome, who is this commander we're waiting for?

PersonMan
2011-10-19, 02:50 AM
The commander? The gnome begins, raising one eyebrow. He's...well, I don't actually really know him well. I hear he's some sort of mystic, but apart from getting orders from him, nobody really interacts much with the guy. She shrugs. He may say it's to protect his identity, but I think he's just a shut-in who'd be happier living in a hut in the mountains.

Vladislav
2011-10-19, 08:25 AM
Petal sighs. Wouldn't we all, and looks for a place to sit as she waits.

TekHed
2011-10-21, 05:06 AM
Well...it certainly looked like a gnome's room. Albeit one with no cleaning staff, Soren thought to himself. While he had been reared in luxury his time in the monastery had taught him the virtues of austerity and order. Still, the presence of the other gnome was beginning to put him at ease.

After several long moments of grappling with the anxiety in his chest, Soren stood up and approached the hooded gnome woman. Reaching up, he doffed his hat, in the process shrinking down to his actual size as he swept the hat across his body with a chivalrous bow.

"Greetings cousin. It is good to be among kin once more..."

PersonMan
2011-10-21, 03:28 PM
The gnome looks up at Soren as he approaches with mild curiosity, although her expression changes quickly to amazement when the other gnome reveals his true nature.

Well, I...I guess I could be suspicious of you for hiding who you really are, but seeing as you just revealed yourself, I don't think it would really be right to- The gnome begins after a moment, having recovered from her shock. She is, however, interrupted by a cough(the intentional sort used to draw attention) from the other side of the room, where an elderly male gnome now sits, having entered the room with surprisingly little noise. The gnome is wearing what appear to have been the robes of some religious order, but now dozens of pockets and patches have been sown into the original fabric, making it difficult to tell what it once was. Most of the pockets are empty, but a handful contain sticks of incense.

I hear that you wish to join my group. The gnome begins, his gaze sweeping over all of you slowly. The gleam of a sharp mind, not dulled by age, is present in each brown eye. While I am wary of Elrishian spies and the fact that one of you is an orc does not do much to increase my trust of you...The fact is, no group can survive without taking on new members. Especially not a group who operates as we do. He pauses for a moment, a smile folding the skin of his cheeks, adding to the wrinkles places there by age. I will connect with the spirit world to find where your allegiances lie.

With this, the old gnome closes his eyes and folds his hands around a burning stick of incense, murmuring unintelligibly as the smoke around him thickens for a moment. When he opens his eyes they are glowing slightly, and he gazes intently forwards for a few seconds before closing them again. Once again he grasps the incense tightly and murmurs something, before breathing deeply and looking with his now-gleaming eyes. This time they stay open for close to half a minute, and when the gnome closes them he seems to be tired, as if having just performed a task of great difficulty.

You. The old gnome says, his eyes still closed, gesturing to Soren. Your spirit is filled with a loyalty to order. Within you is a code that has colored much of your life. Tell me: Why would you, devoted to a code of laws, choose to break the one that rules over the city? He asks, opening his eyes as he speaks. Now, you all see a mixture of curiosity and thoughtfulness in them. While it is clear that whatever he just did was tiring, the gnome shows little signs of the fatigue present only moments ago.

TekHed
2011-10-23, 03:53 AM
Soren scowled a bit inwardly at the old gnomes interruption. His opening gambit had gone so well and the pretty gnome's amazement had ripened her for well-timed flattery, but that moment had passed and he would have to bide his time until another presented itself.

After the gnome wizard(?) performed his ritual and asked his question Soren shot back with no small amount of bravado, "Not laws of the people. Tell me old-timer...what rule of law did the Erish follow when they burned the Temple of the Silent Flame into cinders and ash? The war didn't end just because they say it did..."

PersonMan
2011-10-23, 05:54 AM
The old gnome smiles. So you have been wronged by the Erish in the past, and seek revenge? Good. Hatred is reliable. I was worried you might be one of those Templars of the Old Order from the west, who- Ah, but that doesn't matter right now. His eyes lose focus for a moment as he considers something, but then he turns so that, rather than addressing Soren, he speaks towards all of you.

I have found reason to trust you. Well, at least enough to tell you the latest news: the Wolfshadow group is gone. Only one hour ago I received information about a large-scale operation the Erish just executed. They encircled the Wolfshadows while they were looking for some old mage's grave under the city. Only a handful survived and most of them joined up with us. At this point, we're the strongest resistance group in Hiriklev. The gnome says, his voice tinged with sadness. We also learned that, in one week, a large force of erishian soldiers will be moving through the city. More importantly, many of the soldiers stationed here will be leaving with them to go to the south. There are rumors that the scale troops have been advancing, but more important is the fact that, once these soldiers leave, only a handful of Erish will be staying to hold the city. The gnome seems to consider something for a moment, nodding slowly before he continues. If we can take care of them and seize control of the city, then the rest of the country will follow. The Empire of Scales may be doomed, but it is still powerful enough that the Erish won't be able to hold on to us while fighting them.

My assistant informed me that you've been fighting recently. If you're interested in taking part in the events of the coming weeks, Seriss will bring you to what will become your quarters. The old gnome says. I said I trust you enough to tell you the news, but to be honest, my brief examination of you through the spirit world has told me more than enough. Perhaps it is a bad habit, but I trust my connection with the spirit world far more than most worldly evidence. The mystic takes a deep breath and leans back, obviously curious as to what your responses will be.

TekHed
2011-10-23, 06:27 AM
"That is interesting." Soren nods, absorbing this new information. "We just fled the undercity ourselves when...Seriss is it?" he asked, giving a flirtatious glance at the girl gnome, "found us. The Erish we dispatched there told tale of some fearsome creatures. I'd have considered his words treachery, especially know that I know it may have been the Wolfshadow's screams we heard. Would have, were it not for our encountering some horrible corpse-eating creatures ourselves. Unprepared for further conflict we fled back to the surface to hide and regroup and that's when your lovely assistant found us."

He pulls out a sack from his backpack. "We also have some magic we looted from the Erish, but we need someone skilled to identify what exactly they do..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-24, 09:50 PM
Kator leaned on a wall. At the words "lovely assistant" he facepalmed without noise.

PersonMan
2011-10-25, 02:32 PM
The old gnome looks to Seriss for a moment, and strokes his chin before speaking. Well, Seriss has always had a talent for looking into the spirit world. Perhaps she can examine these items. He says.

How many are there? Seriss asks, looking primarily at Soren. It takes an hour for me to look deep enough into the spirit world to examine the magic of an item, and there are costly pearls that I need to establish the connection, which we only have a few of.

TekHed
2011-10-26, 05:38 AM
Soren began to pull the items from his bag.

"Ten in all. Some of them have icons that give a clue. For example this potion with the hand covering the eyes might be a potion of invisibility...or blindness. I'm guessing this shield amulet protects against the magic missile spell...my order uses a similar device when facing spell-casters. These crystals are made for attachment to armor and weapons so we can test those out ourselves..."

Soren held up a hand and a stilleto shot forward into his hand, startling Serris. He removed it from the spring holster and attached each weapon crystal in turn, giving the air a few experimental jabs to test the effect. Then he did the same with the armor crystals, paying close attention for any changes.

While he continued his testing through elaborate katas (hoping that Serriss might take notice), he addressed the old gnome. "Soooo...um, what do we call you anyways? What do you think about these monsters in the sewers? Any idea what might be behind them?"

PersonMan
2011-10-28, 01:34 PM
Serris pales a bit when Soren mentions ten items, although she seems relieved when he mentions that only some of them need to be examined. The gnome isn't as surprised as one would normally expect when Soren reveals his hidden weapon.

One of the crystals is light green, and seems to have minuscule beads of liquid on its surface. When attached to the stiletto, the entire stiletto seems to be covered with tiny drops of the same stuff, although no other effects can be seen.

The other crystal is light blue and translucent. It has no visible effect on the weapon, but Soren feels like the stiletto is suddenly lighter, and it almost seems to jump into his palm whenever it comes out of position, even slightly.

I never liked my name, and anything I think up seems hollow. Just call me Mystic. As for the monsters beneath us...well, the Erish have a habit of being quite stubborn when it comes to things like this. I imagine that, if whatever is down there doesn't hide or leave the Erish won't stop until it's dead, which is good for us, after all. More soldiers in the sewers means less on the streets. Mystic stops for a moment, his eyes narrowing in concentration before he continues, slowly at first, but then with increasing confidence. I heard that there was a mage of the city many years ago who discovered a method for spellcasters to become undead after their death. He was ambushed and killed by several Erishian mages during the war, and it was reported by his apprentice that he would rise as an undead to continue to fight. This didn't happen, though, and the apprentice was executed shortly before the war ended. Perhaps there is truth to what he said, and the old mage has come back from his grave...That would explain why the Wolfshadows were there, he could be a powerful ally of the resistance if he is still in possession of his arcane talents.

After a moment, Mystic turns and addresses the other three. You three haven't been saying much. I know Flaven will want to join up with the rest of his old comrades, but neither of you have yet to say anything about whether or not you're interested. He says

Hiro Protagonest
2011-10-28, 09:55 PM
"I prefer to let my actions speak for me," Kator says in his gravelly voice.

TekHed
2011-10-31, 11:05 PM
Soren played around with his stiletto, quick-drawing it without the aid of his spring sheathe. He then afixed the second crystal to the thin blade and pressed it into one of the heavy wooden tables. When he removed the blade the gouge left was smoking slightly.

"Acid...useful..." he mused to himself. He then moved to attach the armor crystals to his elaborate yet lightweight monk's raiment.

"Let's see if I can figure out these armor crystals..." he added. "I may need one of you to strike at me to be sure..."

To Serris he added. "We should identify the potions, just to be sure and these glass lightning bracers...seems straightforward enough but I don't want to get shocked because I didn't know the proper command word..."

He brings the bracers and the 2 potions with the hands covering eyes to Serris. "These are the only ones I'm not quite certain about...if these pearls are expensive of course we'll kick in what we can. We thank you for your aid."

He then addressed the old gnome. "Mystic then...funny...you remind me in some ways of my old Master. I should add that while such dread rumors may indeed keep the Erish off the streets, should they turn out to be true, it could be very bad for all of us. If these Wolfshadows have gone missing, it behooves us to seek out any survivors. I know all too well the pain of losing bro...er, comrades, in uh-arms" he stumbled a bit as he caught sight of Serris working her magic and was distracted.

PersonMan
2011-11-08, 11:45 AM
Serris looks down at the bracers and potions, examining them for a moment before speaking. Well, I can only dive deep enough into the spirit world to identify the magical properties of an object once per day. And yes, the pearls are fairly costly. I'll have to see how many I have at the moment before beginning to examine the first of these items... She says, becoming less focused on the real world as she considers something doubtlessly related to her magic.

At Soren's considerations, Mystic nods. While the mage served the Gnomish States in life, he may be less discriminating in who he attacks if he has risen again in undeath. I have heard things about the 'rage of the grave' and learned quite off-turning things about undead from my views into the spirit world. The old gnome says, bending forwards to examine a stick of incense as if it held the knowledge of the correct actions to take.

Serris speaks just as Mystic stops his own observations.If you're going to go back down to look for survivors, I'm coming with you. We don't know how many Erish are down there, combing the area for survivors or fighting. The gnome says, her thumbs stroking over the surface of the glass bracers in slow circles.

Flaven nods in agreement. If any of the Wolfshadows survived the massacre, it is my duty to attempt to find them. He says, obviously still shocked from the news.

Vladislav
2011-11-09, 07:40 PM
Petal

I am interesting in joining you. The young druid says with confidence. Fighting for the freedom of this city, perhaps this was the reason my pilgrimage brought me here.

TekHed
2011-11-11, 07:08 AM
"Well then...it seems we are all in agreement." Soren continued speaking to the elder but his eyes were still drawn to Serris. "Tell me Mystic, do you have access to any medicinal tinctures or other forms of portable positive energy? I hate to come in asking for an expense account first thing but it is a practical matter. We left the sewers just now because we didn't have enough supplies to really make an extended venture into dangerous territory. I gave my last curative potion to the Druid's wolf when it was badly struck by an Erish soldier..."

PersonMan
2011-11-13, 09:08 AM
Well...I do have a pair of Spirit Drops. Mystic says slowly, stroking his thin beard as he speaks. If you're planning to journey back down there to try and rescue any Wolfshadow survivors...Well, I can't say that it isn't a worthy cause. The old gnome nods to Serris, who turns and carefully picks through a handful of broken mugs before plucking a pair of vials from one buried beneath the others. The liquid inside is an opaque light blue, the most common color for healing potions.

There are Spirit Drops spread around the building for use in a battle. The trash here can be collapsed pretty easily, too, so if there's a raid we can fight them out. Serris explains, placing the two vials in a pouch underneath her cloak. You catch a glimpse of what seems to be hardened leather, as well as a triangular piece of metal covering the area over the gnome's heart.

So, are we ready? Sorry if I'm being rude, but every second counts. Flaven says, his tone betraying his urge to move immediately. The poisonmaker is shifting from one foot to the other, ready to dash the moment everything is ready.

TekHed
2011-11-16, 03:29 AM
"Thank you Mystic." Soren responds to the gnomes offer. "I agree we should make haste, but let us at least give Serris the chance to finish her spell. We'll need every bit of magical aid we can muster..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-17, 12:41 PM
"So let me get this straight," Kator says, "You want to go back to the place we just fled."

He takes his glaive, which was propped up against the wall beside him.
"Well, let's go then. I wasn't the one who wanted to leave. Can I have one of those weapon crystals?"

TekHed
2011-11-17, 06:24 PM
"Well, if our brothers-in-arms are down there, we have a duty to go, and we are better prepared now, and have allies..." Soren smiled at Serris.

"Here." Soren tossed Kator the Acid Crystal, then affixed the fast draw one to his kusarigama.

"Before we go, land me a couple of punches to the chest, let me test out these armor crystals..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-17, 07:40 PM
Kator catches the crystal deftly.
"Sure."

He holds his glaive backwards, and hits Soren with the blunt end right on his armor.

PersonMan
2011-11-18, 02:11 AM
There doesn't seem to be any obvious effect, although Soren does feel more comfortable in his armor after he affixes one of the crystals to it. The other doesn't seem to have even the slightest effect.

Serris raises an eyebrow at Soren's mention of her spell. I haven't actually started casting it. I agree with Flaven, time is of the essence here and we should be able to do fine without the bracers.

TekHed
2011-11-18, 07:31 AM
"Very well. I suppose I am ready then."

He winked at Serris. "Glad to have you with us."

Then to the two humans and the orc. "And you as well. Especially you, for having the courage to go up against your own kin. You have the gratitude of the Gnomish State."

PersonMan
2011-11-19, 02:40 PM
Serris gives a lopsided smile in response to the wink, carefully setting the bracers on her chair as she stands and pulling a corner of her cloak from between the left arm of the chair and what seems to be a dresser that lost a fight with an axe. You can see, for a moment, a sword at her left hip, sheathed in a simple scabbard with a few gouges in the material.

Thank you. I only wish to follow the will of the Spirit, and I feel that she wishes for me to help you in this. Petal says in response to Soren's declaration.

Walk with one eye in the Spirit World. I eagerly await your return. Mystic says, nodding. Serris responds with a similar phrase before turning to leave.

Flaven is already at the door, opening it slightly and hastily glancing outside before all but jumping out, rushing to the hole in the ground. He stops and collects him self for a moment, long enough for the rest of the group to reach the hole and close the door. The way down isn't very interesting, although there is a bit of stopping and going due to differences in climbing speed.

In the tunnel once again, you now recognize that the air is a bit stale - you must have acclimated before and not noticed it. Unlike before, there are no screams or other sounds apart from those made by the group. This time, however, there is a trail of blood going from the way that leads to the door where you fought the guards. A small pool of blood, already completely congealed, sits at the intersection. The trail continues down the less maintained path going further down, with small pools every ten feet or so.

Flaven steps forwards, clearly meaning to turn to the left, before stopping and turning to the rest of you. Should follow the trail along there, or check the place the door leads to? It could be that an injured soldier went along this route, or one of the Wolfshadows... Of course, it might be a trap set by either side to lure in people searching for injured comrades. And we don't even know which way it goes, all the blood is dry. You can tell that he wants to simply follow the trail, but is both unsure which direction to go to and about whether or not it's actually a good idea.

TekHed
2011-11-19, 07:28 PM
Survival: [roll0]

Soren kneels down and examines the blood trail and it's accompanying sanguine pools.

PersonMan
2011-11-20, 06:35 AM
Soren:
The blood is all completely dry. If you had more knowledge of tracking you might be able to come to a conclusion, but you simply can't tell what the slight fluctuations in the color, texture, etc. mean.

Additionally, while examining the blood you hear an odd noise below you. If sounds like a muffled chewing combined with earth being moved.

Flaven raises an eyebrow at something, suddenly looking down at the ground as if there's something there.

Serris bends down and places a hand on the ground, moving it occasionally, as if trying to find something.

DM:
Soren: [roll0]
Petal: [roll1]
Flaven: [roll2]
Kator: [roll3]
Serris: [roll4]

TekHed
2011-11-20, 08:27 PM
"There is something in the ground. Sounds like a beast. Prepare yourselves..."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-11-27, 06:01 PM
Kator tenses.

PersonMan
2011-12-02, 02:35 PM
The sound continues for a few moments, growing more quiet and seeming to move away down the passageway, leaving no signs of its passing apart from where some of the original supports of the apparently abandoned tunnel sag slightly, as if struck below the floor. This movement brings your attention to one of the half-visible thick wooden beams, and you notice a smear of blood on it. It seems to you that who or whatever went along here rested against the wood for a few seconds before pushing themselves further. At the very edge of your vision you see something moving; after a moment you identify it as something pushing its way up from the earth. It's the end of a blade, probably an erishian sword, blunted, bent and dirtied, as if it had been used as a makeshift shovel.

Whatever is below the surface pauses for a heartbeat before pushing the blade further, revealing bloodstains, and begins to push it side to side, as if waving at you.

TekHed
2011-12-06, 07:22 PM
Soren scowled. "Well that looks...very dangerous. Allow me."

His kusari-gama springing to his hand with the aid of the newly placed magical crystal, Soren takes aim and attempts to disarm the blade from whomever, or whatever, is holding it beneath the surface of the sanguine soil.

Move into range: 10' reach so no AoO.

Opposed Disarm roll: [roll0]

Counter Disarm roll (if needed): [roll1]

PersonMan
2011-12-07, 01:16 PM
Soren is able to pull the weapon up out of the ground, although whatever holds the weapon proves to be quite strong and the gnome can only barely pull the sword from its grasp. As he does so, he can hear a faint muttering, sounding similar to the chewing noise from before. If it is a language, it's one that he doesn't understand.

A moment later, the earth is pushed up and away from the hole where the sword was and a strange creature emerges. Its body seems to be made up of compacted earth, with rocks forming a patchy shell on its back and arms. The being is vaguely humanoid, with a tail that looks like a massive worm and a long, thin tongue to match. Its teeth are small and yellowed, but sharp, and another worm-like appendage extends from the area below its snout. Its head is built sort of like that of a dog, but lacking ears and a neck. The eyes are a dull red, the black pupils betraying only a glimmer of intelligence.

Its snout twisting into what could be described as a sneer, the creature lets out a strange cough-like noise and says Kill!

Map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&hl=en_US#gid=0)

OOC:
Init and, if you don't think the order will matter, first round actions.

DM:
[roll0]

PersonMan
2011-12-13, 08:48 AM
Map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&hl=en_US#gid=0)

Initiative

Petal: 26
Flaven: 21
Soren: 12
Seriss: 8
Rock-thing: 7
Kator: 4
Golgatha: 3

Petal reacts with surprising speed, stepping to the side before bringing her crossbow into firing position and letting a bolt fly at the creature. The bolt glances off of a more rocky section of the creature's hide, however, and falls down into the hole the creature came from.

Flaven moves next, once again doing his double-arrow trick. This time, rather than both striking true, they both go far too high, bouncing off of the ceiling of the tunnel, although one does manage to fall onto the creature's back on its way down.

Obviously unimpressed by this display, the creature lets out a strange sound that is similar to rocks grinding together and its tongue-thing flaps a bit, as if it's taunting you.

DM:
Pee-Cee init:
So, Ren...: [roll0]
Cat, or?: [roll1]

Enn-pee-cee init:
Craven-flavor: [roll2]
Goglathga: [roll3]
Petal: [roll4]

Bad guyz-ah:
[roll5]

Hate not having my stats T.T

OOC:
Soren's the only one even vaguely close to an average roll...

TekHed
2011-12-14, 06:57 AM
Soren dodged to the right, clearing the path for his companions to charge into the fray. As he moved his chain weapon snaked out, the razor sickle on it's end reaching for the strange subterranean beast...

Moving 10' right to E5.

Maneuver: Leading the Attack:[roll0]

If this hits everyone else gets +4 to hit until my next action.

PersonMan
2011-12-15, 10:27 AM

Initiative

Soren's attack is the first to injure the creature, causing it to let out a noise that sounds like a mix between a roar and a rockslide. Rather than blood, soil pours from the wound, and the creature doesn't seem to be much affected by the blow, despite it having the force to bring down most soldiers.

Seriss moves forwards, drawing her blade and stabbing at the rock-creature. Even in motion, it's clear that it's quite well made. Her attack, however, scrapes off of the rocky hide of the creature.

The rock creature seems to growl, although the sound seems more like rumbling earth, move past Seriss and swiping at Soren with its claws, crying Hurt! as it does so. It's clear to the gnome that the creature has prodigious strength as he dodges the first blow outright. The second scrapes off of his armor, leaving scratches.

Kator's up.

DM:
Chugger: 28

Seriss:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Chugger:
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-15, 04:44 PM
Kator moves forward and strikes at the beasty with his acidic glaive.

Move up one square, attack.

[roll0]

[roll1]

[roll2]

Edit: Add four to attack.

PersonMan
2011-12-16, 03:41 PM

Initiative

Kator's glaive glances off of the creature's rocky hide, which has proven itself to be quite impressive in its ability to ward off blows.

Golgatha closes with the rocky creature, spurred on by Soren's lead, his weapon cutting a great gash in the side of the earthen thing's side. The beast growls in response, and a reddish mist seems to form around its claws, joined by a similar stuff covering what might be a chest on a humanoid.

Petal, without the training to fire into such a clump of people without the risk of hitting her allies and unable to use any of her spells without affecting her allies, reloads her crossbow and waits for an opening.

Flaven fires a single arrow this time, aiming for an opening made by Soren's slice, but it goes wide and he's only barely able to keep it from hitting Golgatha, his training allowing him to recognize the signs of a potentially fatal off-target shot.

Soren is up.

DM:
Chugger: 13

Glogthfytahyfa: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1]

Flavor: [roll2]
[roll3]

OOC:
So, I both rolled max damage and a 1 to hit with our NPC'd party members.

I honestly think I'm just going to have Petal, Flaven and potentially Golgatha just go do something else with the resistance, I really don't like taking 4 turns at once while playing characters who aren't mine.

Of course, I may just kill them once some important antagonist shows up. If we start re-recruiting again, I'll add that as a disclaimer...'missing players may have their characters used as dramatic fodder for bad guys'.

TekHed
2011-12-16, 06:11 PM
Soren, noticing how close that last claw strike came to slashing through his armor stepped back away from the strange elemental creature. Well, he had an answer for that as well. Drawing upon his Order's connection with elemental fire, Soren summoned a small ember-spirit behind the creature. When it turned to notice this distraction, the gnome assassin unleashed a barrage of chain-strikes at it.

5 foot step back.
Swift Action Boost: Distracting Ember
Standard Action Strike: Wolf Fang Strike. Flanking bonus cancels out attack penalty.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

PersonMan
2011-12-17, 05:21 AM

Initiative

Soren's attack causes the body of the rock creature to begin to disintegrate, stopping only as it growls with increased strength and the red mist around its claws grows thicker and begins to solidify. It's clear that this thing is at the end of its rope, apparently held together only by sheer hate.

Seriss takes a jab at the earth-beast, but the sudden emissions of gravel and soil from the creature's sides knock her blade off target. It's clear that she isn't very well trained with a sword. While competent, her skill level is that of a beginner.

Howling something, the rock creature staggers away from the reach of Soren's weapon, the mist around its torso glowing for a moment before it suddenly disappears, leaving only small piles of rock and earth where it stood.

Combat is over. There's no sign of the creature. What now?

DM:
Chugger: -5

Seriss:
[roll0]
[roll1]

Watch her get a 20...

OOC:
150 XP.

TekHed
2011-12-18, 05:33 PM
"What the hell was that?" Soren asked out loud.

Looking around, first at Serris he remembers his manners asking "Is anyone injured?" Seeing that indeed only he had been struck by the monster and only with a glancing blow, Soren then chided his female counterpart. "Serris, no offense but aren't you a spell-slinger? Why wade into melee like that? You could have gotten hurt..."

PersonMan
2011-12-19, 12:04 PM
Serris raises an eyebrow at Soren's comment. While I'm not trained in melee, I'm not a 'spell-slinger', as you call it. My connection with the spirit world is more suited to communication and gaining knowledge than it is to battle. I can't summon bolts of fire or such things, although I have recently learned a skill I could use in combat from Syles*. I haven't told Mystic about it yet, he doesn't trust the Fey. She mentions.

*Pronounced Sai-less

OOC:
General Knowledge:

The Fey are very rare and most myths about them tell completely different stories. The only few things that are the same are that they wield powerful magic easily and that the only way to ensure that they won't abandon one for some passing fancy is making a contract with them. Contracts are magically binding, and it's rumored that one's soul rots if you break one.

Fey are usually said to be immortal - this is part of the reason why they're so whimsical. 'It won't matter if I do this or that in 1000 years, so I'll do what's more fun.' is, according to the stories, a normal mindset for them.

TekHed
2011-12-20, 03:33 AM
Soren seems mildly annoyed at this revelation, having apparently taken her for a sorceress.

"Well then...who, or what is a Syles and what pray tell, did they teach you?"

PersonMan
2011-12-20, 10:25 AM
He. Seriss corrects. It's a form of magic that's more specialized than most of the ways to tap into the spirit world, but it can be fairly effective. I...can't really describe it much better than that. It's based on sound and gives a boost to the morale of those it affects. The gnome explains.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-20, 03:28 PM
Danid makes sure to make some sound as he notices the strangers around the corner, to make sure he does not surprise them and spark a hefty reaction. Just to be sure, he coughs as well. "Ahem... Greetings." You see a human man in his middle age rounding the corner. The calm look on his face is contrasted by the appearance of his leather armor: it is either not well kept or very recently used. His left hand is holding a wooden shield while his right hand is slowly tapping the head of a wolf that is standing patiently beside him. He does not seem to be carrying any weapons.

"I am sorry to disturb you like this. I, ehm, ran into a little problem with the Erish down there". He nods in the direction where he had come from. "And, och, my manners. My name is Danid. I do not think I am being followed as is, but I think I ought to extend a word of warning concerning their presence." He smile a somewhat goofy smile, as if he is not too sure how to handle this unexpected encounter.

TekHed
2011-12-20, 08:07 PM
Soren was about to reply to Serris when the human showed up, wolf beside him.

Soren looked at him, then at Petal and Fang, then back to the newcomers.

"Two Druids? With two wolves? That has to be more than simple coincidence. Pray tell us human, be you with the Wolf-Shadows?"

Since you said you haven't read up on the thread, the Wolf Shadows is the name of another cell of the resistance, who apparently came down into these sewers and have not been heard from since. We are currently trying to find them, or find out what happened to them down here.

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-21, 02:36 AM
Danid looks at Soren with minor amazement. "Yes....as a matter of fact, I am...Have we met before?"

TekHed
2011-12-25, 12:53 AM
"Not that I know of." The man speaking appeared to be a human holding the two hafts of an exotic sickle weapon, connected by a long chain.

"We were told the Wolf-Shadows had disappeared down here. We're a newly formed cell...don't even have a name for ourselves yet..."

PersonMan
2011-12-25, 03:46 AM
Seriss nods. I believe it was Mystic's intention to remain without a name, at least for now. He mentioned something about it making the group too easy to pin down. After a moment, she continues with a question. You mentioned the Erish - could it be that you're one of the Wolfshadows? The gnome asks. While you can tell from her expression that she isn't quite ready to completely trust the man, she doesn't seem to be hostile.

I think you're right, actually. I recognize him from the Wolfshadows, but he wasn't with us for long. What happened to the others? Flaven speaks up, his voice full of both concern and relief. If one had survived, then maybe the others would have as well...

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-30, 08:56 AM
Danid's expression darkens. "In all honesty...I am not sure. I am afraid things have not ended well. We were down there, in search for an object. Then, all of a sudden, the Erish were everywhere. Fighting started and we scattered...we never stood a chance. They outnumbered us by two, maybe three to one. Maybe it was a trap?"

"I fear that what was left of the Wolfshadows is now shattered. I saw many a brother die before I took my disguise and escaped my own certain death"

To DM
I suggest I used my 'aspect of the wolf' spell to escape in wolf form.

PersonMan
2011-12-30, 04:41 PM
Danid:
Sounds good to me.

TekHed
2011-12-30, 07:12 PM
"Well...that is disappointing news. You are welcome to join us, see if we can figure out if any of your comrades survived as you did, and get some usable intel on the Erish while we're down here. In any case, it's dangerous to stay in one spot...we should keep moving."

Autopsibiofeeder
2011-12-31, 06:46 AM
Danid nods. "Thanks for harbouring me for now. I agree we should keep moving...we can leave the more formal introductions for later."

Hiro Protagonest
2011-12-31, 01:43 PM
Some time back in the conversation...

At Seriss's words, Kator scratches his chin.

"I remember some of the orc army having magical musicians and bards. They led elite shock troops from the back, their songs or odes bolstering their strength in the attack."

Now...

He picks up his glaive, not bothering to sheathe it, and looks around.

PersonMan
2012-01-12, 09:22 AM
Flaven is clearly relieved to see one of his comrades alive. It's also clear, however, that he's also found the solution to a problem he's been wrestling with until now.

Let's split up. We should be able to handle fighting with or escaping from any Erish we meet without there being 7 of us in one group. This was we can cover twice as much ground. Unless you four have something against it, I'd like to bring Golgatha and Petal with me. Together we should have enough martial and magical strength to get along on our own. The human explains. Petal and Golgatha nod, having no problems with the suggestion.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-12, 01:36 PM
"Will you follow the trail or go through the door?" Kator asks.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-12, 04:27 PM
Danid looks around with a mildly amazed look on his face. "So...we are going back...where I came from?" His expression then turns apologetic: "I am sure we can manage...things, of course. But, ehm, why?"

TekHed
2012-01-15, 04:12 AM
"We follow the trail," Soren replied, "and see what we can find. I have no problem with splitting up, just...watch each other's back. I expect to share an ale tonight with all of you to discuss our findings."

Turning to those staying in his group Soren shrugged. "Shall we?"

PersonMan
2012-01-15, 05:28 AM
Flaven nods, turning to Danid to say We're going to try and find others who escaped. Of course we'll try and avoid being spotted, but if there's the opportunity, I'd like to make the Erish pay for every Wolfshadow that died today. before he, Golgatha and Petal head off, turning the corner and going out of sight.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-15, 11:52 AM
Danid nods at Flaven. "I see, thanks. Luck be with you." He then turns to Soren: "Aye, let's".

PersonMan
2012-01-27, 11:10 AM
The tunnel slopes downward and turns towards the center of the city. At fairly random intervals, glowing rods set into the wall provide illumination, but most of them have been destroyed or otherwise prevented by shedding light into the tunnel. Just as the intersection is out of sight due to the curving of the tunnel, you see what appears to be a partial cave-in, with dirt and pieces of rock strewn about the floor of the tunnel. The smell of dirt is fairly fresh, and not far away you see another hole, this one in the floor. Perhaps that burrowing rock-creature came through here earlier. As you continue, a strange smell filling the air as you go, you eventually come across a chamber where the tunnel noticeably widens, turning into a 30' by 50' room. Here, multiple pillars reinforce the ceiling and the floor has a covering of gravel, and you can identify the smell: burned flesh.

The moment you look into the chamber, you can tell there was a battle here. The ground has been scorched, in three places, by precise cones of flame, and close to a dozen holes dot the ground. In the center of the room is the center of the smell that hangs over the entire room, a slightly-smoking pile of corpses. After a moment you can tell that they are Erish, mostly orc, and it seems like they were blasted by flame at least once after being piled up. At first it isn't obvious, but after a moment you notice that there are dozens of small, foul-smelling puddles in the gravel of the room, although their stench is all but impossible to detect beneath the all-covering smell of fire and burning flesh.

The blood trail leads off to the left side of the chamber, where the corpse of a gnome lies. He seems to have been moved after his death - to the right of him are three arrows. Two have heads covered in congealed blood, the other one seems to have had the head snapped off before being placed where it is now. The gnome is lying in a traditional warrior's death posture: arms together, holding the weapon (which has an impossible to read word cut into it. The language resembles...every one you know, in one way or another, but it's impossible to read.), in this case a lengthened dagger, facing up. The right eye is closed, which Seriss points out as representing a death in combat.

Around the body are marks in the gravel which seem to indicate that the Erish were dragged into the pile after their deaths. The fact that shields and swords are strewn about the chamber, most covered in scorch marks or wet with the same fetid water as lies about in puddles, seems to support this. Oddly enough, some of the shields seem to have simply...fallen apart, almost. Rather than distinct scorches or signs of physical attacks, it just seems like they were worn down by some strange force.

On the wall to the right of where you came in is a reinforced door, closed and seemingly untouched during the battle. It bears the symbol of the Gnomish States Military, surprisingly still fresh, rather than faded after decades of occupation.

Further examination of the pile itself yields that there are 11 corpses. Eight are orcs, three are elves.

Search DC 11:
Due to the twisting of one of the bodies at the bottom of the pile, it seems like at least one elf was alive when the pile was blasted by flame and was burned/crushed to death.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-27, 12:48 PM
"I think that the dead mage has returned," Kator says softly in his gravelly voice, while surveying the room.

TekHed
2012-01-30, 04:42 AM
Soren let out a low whistle as he surveyed the carnage piled up in the room.

"...and from the look of things it would appear he is on our side."

He bent down, sniffing at the fetid water.

"That door looks untouched by time as well as battle. Could we have stumbled upon that dread wizard's domain?"

Search: [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-30, 03:17 PM
Danid follows silently and frowns slightly when he sees the scorched piles of corpses. They are, were, Erish, of course...but still living beings. As he is put off a bit by the lack of respect of whoever did this, he silently mouths the name Kator just mentioned with minor amazement: 'Dead Mage...'

Personman:
Do I know this dead mage / dread wizard they mention, or is Danid as clueless as I am?

PersonMan
2012-01-30, 03:45 PM
Seriss stays silent. It's clear that the corpse pile has shaken her, although she's able to keep her revulsion under control.

It looks like some of them were burned alive...Whoever did this might be an enemy of the Erish, but I'd have to be in a really desperate situation to say they're on our side.

Danid:
You have no idea who 'the dead mage' is.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-01-30, 03:55 PM
Danid nods at Seriss and then turns to the others. "So...dead mage? Is there something I should know? He thinks a second: "Or, I don't want to know?

Hiro Protagonest
2012-01-30, 07:26 PM
Kator scratches his chin.
"A member of the resistance mentioned a mage who had found a way to come back after death. However, he apparently would suffer something called "the rage of the grave". I don't know what that is, but I think it might have something to do with the arts of necromancy."

TekHed
2012-01-31, 04:48 AM
"Well there is nothing we can for any of this lot, so we should keep on exploring...gods but this place reeks..."

Soren went over to examine the sealed and seemingly untouched door of the Gnomish military.

PersonMan
2012-02-04, 09:01 AM
The door does not seem to be out of the ordinary, apart from apparently being untouched by the battle or the ravages of time and having no visible way to be opened. It is set into the wall, probably opening into whatever room is behind it, and is composed primarily of stone, with visible bands of steel crisscrossing the surface. Once he is at the door, Soren can hear flowing water on the other side. It is the sound of a river or stream, rather than of water falling onto a hard surface as might be expected.

As Soren examines the door, Seriss investigates a particularly damaged shield, saying something under her breath as she examines it slowly.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-05, 05:49 PM
Not sure what to do right now, Danid also has a casual look at the door. He then rubs his wolf on the head and tells it to go and see if he can find any traces of people. "Go, find man." He follows the wolf should it start moving about and makes sure to stop her should she want to leave the room in her search.

TekHed
2012-02-07, 05:10 AM
"What was that?" Soren called over to Seriss as he examined the door.

"I can hear water on the other side of this door...some kind of stream or perhaps just another part of the sewers. Any of you have any skill with locating traps? Who knows what nasty surprises the gnomish military may have left for anyone who found this place..."

PersonMan
2012-02-07, 10:22 AM
Danid:
The stench of the burned corpses is covering any other smells that may be there - it's impossible for your companion to find anything in these conditions.

Seriss looks up as Soren speaks. It's strange, the way these shields are damaged. None of the Mirroring Grasps I've heard of can do something like this. At his question, she shakes her head. I've never had to deal with those things. The gnome says.

TekHed
2012-02-07, 01:23 PM
Soren walks over to her.

"I'm sorry, what? What do you mean by Mirroring Grasp?"

PersonMan
2012-02-07, 02:41 PM
Mirroring Grasps are...well, they change the Spirit World and those changes spill over into our world, causing physical damage or other obvious effects. Seriss explains. I've never seen anything like this before. She adds.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-07, 02:58 PM
Danid raises an eyebrow, obviously not quite understanding the conversation he is witnessing. "Uh...magic, you mean...or a creature....an object?" He walks over to have a look at the shield, maybe that helps him understand.

TekHed
2012-02-07, 07:49 PM
"That was going to be my next question as well...what are we talking about here...animal? Vegetable? Mineral?"

PersonMan
2012-02-09, 10:26 AM
It depends on the precise manner in which the Spirit World is influenced. Some Mirroring Grasps can cause specific beings to lose consciousness while others obscure areas or cause great damage to whatever they are used upon. Seriss explains.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-02-09, 07:01 PM
Kator looks around the room and down at his glaive, but he sees no reason to join in a conversation about something that'll be explained anyway.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-21, 04:42 PM
Danid nods at Seriss in a friendly and thankful manner, as if he understands her explanation. Still a bit confused, though, he looks around the room and tries to establish eye-contact with the others. Him being new in this team makes that he wants adapt to their methods. "So...what do we make of this? Do we move on? It seems there is no opening that door?"

TekHed
2012-02-22, 01:32 AM
"So...these mirroring grasps are some kind of magical environmental phenomena? You implied earlier that these grasps might be responsible for the death of these men, but not any kind you have heard of. Explain please what you are talking about as if we have never heard of mirroring grasps and know nothing of sorcery..."

PersonMan
2012-02-22, 10:13 AM
Well, Mystic and I use the spirit world to either effect the material world through Mirroring Grasps, or we see through the spirit world to enhance our sight in the material one. What mystic did before is an example of the latter. An example of the former...well, the flames that scorched the ground were probably made with them. Seriss explains. At their core, the Mirroring Grasps use one's own essence to cause a change in the spirit world, a change so great that its effects spill over into the material world. They do things that are otherwise impossible - flames that appear to burn something then disappear instantly, for example.

TekHed
2012-02-22, 03:39 PM
"Well, I suppose that is interesting in the academic sense. I'm not sure how it helps us here but if you notice anything else keep us informed. Now, how the heck can we get this door opened?"

TekHed
2012-02-24, 11:22 PM
"No one has any ideas? Well...I'm just going to have to risk opening it then...any remnants of the old Gnomish States military could be a valuable aid to the resistance."

Reluctantly, and poised to dodge or dash at the slightest indication of a trap, Soren attempted to pry open the vault door.

PersonMan
2012-02-27, 02:19 AM
Soren's attempt to pry open the door are met with failure at first, but after a few moments of pulling something gives way and the gnome nearly falls on his back due to the sudden lack of resistance. He manages to keep his footing, however, and the door swings open on apparently well-oiled hinges, revealing a well-lit room about ten feet wide and of similar length. It's clear that the room was made primarily for gnomes and beings of similar stature, although it is high enough that humans can stay in the room without constantly ducking

The center of the room is dominated by a five foot wide stream of dirty-looking water, and apart from it the room is all but empty, although another doorway is ahead. Instead of another door, only an old curtain keeps you from seeing into the next chamber. On the right side of the room is yet another sign of recent activity: a chest, used by the militaries of various nations to store weapons, as unaffected by the ravages of time as the door. The lock has been removed, and inside are a handful of weapons, many of them clearly Erishian, and a pair of flasks set apart from everything else.

The stream flows from a roughly-cut hole in the wall at about knee height (for a gnome) and seems to simply flow down into the ground. Whatever dirtied the water is making it essentially impossible to see into it.

The curtain is obviously either older or simply less maintained than the door and chest. It seems to have been stained and scorched multiple times, the formerly red color now resembling that of dried blood.

Soren, Danid:
You notice that edges of the stream are rough, as if a passage was cut or smashed into the floor for the water to flow through. While the edges have been smoothed a bit by the passing water, it's clear that this happened only recently.

TekHed
2012-02-28, 05:02 AM
His kusari-gama jumping into his hand like liquid lightning (thanks to the new power crystal), Soren's body tensed into an acrombats poise, ready to move and primed for stealth. He motioned for the others to follow him silently as he approach the curtain, alert for any signs of an occupant.

Litsen [roll0]

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-02-28, 04:44 PM
Danid makes the gesture, clearly visible to his wolf, that stands for stalking and follows Soren, alarmed by his sudden vigilance. Weary for any signs of danger, he peers and listens intently.

Listen: [roll1]

PersonMan
2012-03-03, 05:49 PM
The next room can only be described as a cross between an alchemist's lab and a library. Near the doorway are several bowls of what seems to be ink, each resting on a single pedestal-like piece of stone. A faint smell is in the air, a slightly stronger scent much like that of the fetid water in the chamber. Several bookshelves, short by gnomish standards and puny by human ones, are topped with dozens of vials and bottles, all filled with the same black liquid as is in the bowls. Set apart from the rest of the room by a thick rug is a 'reading area' comprised of several taller bookshelves, a small table and a large chair. Sitting in the chair is a corpse, pale and seemingly mummified, dressed in clothes that seem to be quite old.

Those are the robes that the mage of the city would wear, before the war. Seriss says.

On the table in front of the chair is a large, ancient-looking tome opened to a page covered with nonsensical scrawling in languages that none of you recognize. After a moment it becomes clear that there are four different scripts - one blocky and with long words, another flowing and with no obvious separation into words or sentences, a third made up of symbols that are arranged completely different from the others and a final one which is only barely visible as a single line curving around the page.

Behind the tome is a map of the city, with dozens of small wood pieces noting gnomish and Erishian forces. The map shows a large group of Erishians focused on the front gates of the city, with a smaller force of defenders grouped up in the walls nearby. Some of the wood pieces are circular, although only one is present in the city and seems to be at your location, the others being mixed in at random with the Erishians.

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-05, 05:32 PM
Kator steadies his glaive in his hand, ready to thrust it at the corpse if it moves.

Ready standard action attack triggered if the corpse moves.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-06, 02:59 AM
Danid looks at the map and then moves towards the corpse. "Judging by our new friend's condition here, this map might be old...out of date. What do the circles stand for, you think?" When he arrives at the corpse, he starts studying it. "What killed you, little man?"

Rolls:

Heal [roll0]
and
Knowledge (nature) [roll1]
To try and find out what has happened to him.

TekHed
2012-03-07, 02:20 PM
Soren kept his guard up as he examined the room. Looking at the corpse (from a healthy distance) he appraised the official robes. "The 'Dead Mage' perhaps...or someone using that legend to cover their own nefarious purposes?"

PersonMan
2012-03-08, 08:40 AM
Danid:
Your knowledge of anatomy and the natural processes decomposition make it fairly simple for you to tell that something isn't quite right with the small man. Natural mummies, although quite rare in this climate, do occur, but this isn't one. Well, not quite. A natural mummy normally shrivels up as it dries, the tissues shrinking as the water is pulled from them, but this one...well, it's as if the water in its body was replaced with something else, rather than simply removed.

Although you can't tell very well due to the clothing, it's clear that whatever killed this man wasn't an animal or weapon - magic or the elements did him in.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-08, 05:38 PM
Danid looks up as Soren mentions dead mages again. "Well, this man did not die naturally, I think. Well, maybe he did, but his current physical state is not natural. Might be magic. Of the type I do not appreciate." He looks up at Kator. "I might be able to tell more if I could see his skin, beneath his clothes. Would you mind removing them while I investigate?" Danid smiles, feebly, though.

TekHed
2012-03-09, 01:53 AM
"Careful...something about this doesn't smell right, and I'm not talking about that ichor..."

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-12, 11:05 AM
Kator sets his glaive tip against the mage's robes, seeing if the acid will do anything to the clothes.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-12, 03:23 PM
Danid holds his breath as Kator is manipulating the clothes of the corpse, waiting for a better chance to inspect the skin beneath.

PersonMan
2012-03-13, 07:11 AM
Kator's glaive leaves slowly growing black marks on the robes which, after a few seconds of contact, stop spreading. The 'corpse' doesn't move at all.

Soren, Danid:
You both hear something which sounds like footsteps and a low conversation, coming from the chamber outside. The voices abruptly stop, after which the movement slowes and becomes impossible to hear.

TekHed
2012-03-14, 01:48 AM
Soren shifted his stance subtly and moved to flank the doorway, the flickering shadows in the room seeming to coalesce around him.

move action switch stances, move 10 feet over to flank the entrance (staying far enough to use his reach), gain concealment for the next turn. Initiative for when needed: [roll0]Dayum...consider his action held, ready to interrupt the intruders when they try and act...

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-14, 02:28 AM
Danid signals Kator clearly and then places his finger over his mouth while nudging towards the door. He moves, if possible, so that there is an object between him and the foor, preventing being charged and he directs his wolf to stand before him and fight, if necessary.

Initiative, if needed:
[roll0]

Hiro Protagonest
2012-03-17, 10:19 AM
Kator brings his glaive around, checking on the corpse every few seconds as he watches the entrance.

PersonMan
2012-03-19, 10:56 AM
The curtain hides whatever is on the other side from view, although you can see flickering light, as if there was a fire on the other side of it. There is no crackling, only the sound of the burning itself is present. After a moment, someone steps in front of the flame (the long shadow on the floor betrays this) and speaks. Dogs of the Erish, prepare to meet your end! In coming here, you have only sealed off your only way to retreat! Burn and die!

The voice is full of all but supernatural hate and has an entirely unnatural tone to it, as if some sort of magic was roughly projecting the sound rather than a living being. Suddenly, the curtain explodes as a blast of dark red energy blazes through it, flying through the room and striking the opposite wall, tearing pieces of stone apart and leaving a rough hole about the breadth of a human fist (although it doesn't seem to have 'cut' very deeply into the wall).

With the curtain gone you can see, in stark contrast between the brightly lit back and the darkened front, what seems to be a walking corpse. It's a gnome, wearing tattered burial shrouds to which half a dozen bloody Erishian officer's medals are roughly clipped. The gnome's teeth are long and sharp, inhumanly white apart from where dried blood stains them. In one hand, more dark energy flits across the fingers of the gnome. It's clear that something took a blade to him, as multiple large gashes are present on his body, although all seem to have roughly pulled themselves closed.

Behind the gnome is a 6-foot-tall vaguely humanoid fire. Nothing fuels it, but its flames seem to be drawing power from somewhere, as they grow and the noise becomes a roar. Barely visible is some sort of core, white hot, within the center of the blaze - perhaps the source of the heat?

Behind the blaze, shining bright in the light, is what seems to be a floating blob of water, with small eye-like spots floating in it. Small sac-like sections are slowly forming on its edge, and what could be called a tentacle is reaching down into the stream, sucking water into the main body.

Combat Begins!
Initiative Order:
Soren - 25
Flamer - 24
Laser Gnome - 23
Watersack - 19
Danid - 17
Kator - 12
Serris - 6

Combat Map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL)

TekHed
2012-03-19, 01:46 PM
"Whoa whoa whoa!" Soren interjected. "We're not Erish...we're the resistance! See! We're gnomes!" he added, removing his hat of disguise. He pointed at Kator, "The orc over there is a defector, he's on our side..."

He kept his weapon readied but tried diplomacy. "So...you must be the dead mage then?"

Free action to speak, if the elemental attacks Soren will interrupt it's action.

PersonMan
2012-03-19, 03:15 PM
As Soren speaks, the gnome turns towards him, another orb of energy half-formed in his hand. The roar of the flames changes, as if a different wind was sweeping through the fire. The gnome seems to listen for a moment, considering the other gnome with eye sockets filled only by flickering red light.

Hakreg and I aren't inclined to believe you - prove that you aren't traitors working for the Erish! The mummified gnome demands, indicating you all with a sweeping gesture.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-19, 03:47 PM
Danid swiftly taps his wolf's head, calming it, indicating to not attack or defend right now. While his eyes dart he thinks for a moment and speaks up: "For one, we are not attacking you like immoral madmen would..." He does his best to assume a non-agressive pose.

TekHed
2012-03-19, 04:25 PM
Soren sighed.

"I am...Soren St. Croix." he announced, revealing his real name for the first time in his new company. "Son of the Duke and Duchess St. Croix of the gnomish nobility. My father was slain leading our forces during the Erish invasion and my mother and I fled along the underground railroads to safety. I speak to you now as a initiate of the Order of the Silent Flame, and have never before since our flight revealed my true name and title. As heir to the Duchy of St. Croix, I would be a prime target for the occupational forces were they to learn of my identity. I tell you now, as proof of my sincerity."

Slowly he puts both handles of his weapon into his off-hand, then carefully reaches underneath his armor and clothing to remove a golden signet ring concealed within upon a silver chain.

"The ring of the House of St. Croix, my father's legacy."

PersonMan
2012-03-29, 02:01 PM
The mummified gnome narrows his eyes at Soren. While he no longer seems as hostile, it doesn't seem like he trusts you entirely yet. His gaze sweeps the room, and as he looks past Kator and Danid, what little reduction there has been in the hate fades slightly. Speak for yourselves, you two! Tell me who you are and why you're here! The gnome demands, the lights in his eyes glowing a bit more brightly. The crackling energy in his palm only fades slightly - none of you doubt that he can still send another blast at you, although Soren's positioning means that, if he does so, the resistance fighter can put him under immediate attack.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-03-29, 03:06 PM
Danid looks straight at the mummified gnome and answers him. "My name is Danid. A simple farmer until recently. I am here to seek out Erish to avenge my fallen comrades." He nudges at his animal companion. "The wolf is with me."

Hiro Protagonest
2012-04-06, 09:22 PM
"Rrr..."

Kator swings his fist sideways like a hammer, slamming it into the stone wall behind him.
"I don't want the Erish to win this. The development of firearms is troubling, and a unified empire created through was never really works."

PersonMan
2012-04-07, 05:25 AM
The mummy looks from Danid to Kator slowly, considering what they've said for a moment. His facial expression remains frozen in a hateful sneer, but his flickering eyes dim slightly and his posture changes. The energy flickering in his palm disperses. The noise of the fire behind the mummified gnome changes again, similarly to how it did before, but he waves at it dismissively.

What is the cause of the battle between the Erish and resistance in the tunnels? All of my servants have been encountering Erishian soldiers on patrol here, the mummy demands, his flickering eyes lighting up again.

TekHed
2012-04-07, 02:16 PM
"That, I couldn't tell you." Soren replied. "I came into the city on my own business for the Silent Flame, when happenstance dropped me into the tunnels here. It would seem that the undercity have been overrun with beasties and elementals, and it was during the course of fighting our way out that we came in contact with a resistance cell in the area. We came down here to answer that very same question, but so far have found no answers...only you."

He shifted his feet nervously. Though brave, Soren was only barely of age, and the dread countenance of the withered undead was uncomfortable, to say the least.

"We were kinda hoping maybe you could tell us."

PersonMan
2012-04-15, 05:29 AM
The gnome shakes his head. I haven't been able to find the cause of the fighting yet, but it seems like the Erish wish to utterly destroy the resistance here - my comrades and I have seen dozens already, he explains, eyes flaring up slightly as he mentions the Erish.

TekHed
2012-04-15, 06:11 AM
"Your...comrades?" Soren looked incredulous. "Do you mean, your elementals there, or are there more of you?"

Soren hid his weapon back beneath his vestments. With his new crystal he could always retrieve it swiftly if needed. Handy that.

"And anyways...what the hell happened to you? There are rumored whispers of the Dead Mage...but most assume they are superstition, stories parents tell to scare their children. How long have you been down here?"

He stole a glance at the other corpse sitting in its chair. "And uh...what's with the stiff?"

PersonMan
2012-04-15, 07:59 AM
The gnome nods as Soren speaks of elementals. Behind him, the sound of the fire changes slightly for a moment before subsiding.

As Soren speaks of the 'Dead Mage', the gnome's eyes flare up. I'm not dead! He shouts, every bit of fury from earlier back in his voice, The ones who are dead can do nothing! But I can still DO! The ones who are dead...the ones who will die, are the Erish! Them and every traitor! They'll learn that their fear of me is justified! Now, the gnome's eyes seem to almost overflow with the blazing red light. The gnome curls his fingers, energy crackling across his hands as he speaks, his voice loud but slightly more quiet than his original shout.

TekHed
2012-04-15, 08:31 AM
Soren shrunk back slightly from the gnome's eldritch fury.

"Yeah, now that you mention it...they ought to be calling you the un-dead mage. How did you get like this? How like have you been uh...not dead?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-04-15, 04:09 PM
Danid is somewhat overtaken by situation and decides to just stay silent and listen to the conversation, learn. Life was so much simpler, not that long ago. That gnome...thing is quite something else, and it turns out Soren is also someone quite...important.

PersonMan
2012-04-24, 08:03 AM
The secrets to my arcane resurrection are among those I will not share with others, even if they are allies of the Gnomish State, the gnome says, his eyes returning to their normal flickering glow as he speaks, waving a hand as he does so.

Having remained silent and apparently beneath the notice of the gnome until now, Seriss makes herself noticed by clearing her throat before beginning to speak, drawing the flickering gaze of the gnome to herself.

Are...were you part of the battle that took place outside of here? Out in the chamber there? She asks. The other gnome doesn't reply for a moment, the light in his eyes glowing slightly more brightly as he studies Seriss.

Yes. We found a group of Erish who had followed a soldier of the resistance here, and killed them, the gnome replies, pride in his unnatural voice.

TekHed
2012-04-26, 08:58 PM
"What of that resistance soldier they were tracking...what happened to them?" Soren asked.

"Oh...and seeing how you like to hold magic tea party's with elementals...I don't suppose that earthy thing that attacked us in the tunnels was one of yours?"

PersonMan
2012-04-30, 02:43 PM
The gnome's face seems to be frozen into the sneer he has worn since you first saw him, yet at this question it seems to twitch slightly, as if some atrophied muscle was still trying to pull it into another shape.

They died gloriously, in combat with the Erish, he says. Nothing in his voice seems to indicate sadness or grief, but you still aren't sure if you're interpreting its unnatural tones correctly.

I'm not a diviner. I don't know what exactly the 'earthy thing' you refer to is, but there is a chance you met Chugger while he was on the hunt. He is...overzealous, and may have mistaken you for Erish, the gnome says, eyes flickering as he pauses for a brief moment to describe this 'Chugger'.

Danid:
Something about the gnome makes him similar to a few odd beasts you met in the forest. While they claimed to hold members of their kind dear, whenever one fell they didn't feel any sadness.

OOC:
Magic tea party's what?

Magic tea parties, yo.

TekHed
2012-04-30, 06:22 PM
"That sounds about right. Earthy creature with a wormy tongue and tail...we had to kill it, so sorry about that. We also came upon some mutant-rodent things. You wouldn't be breeding aberrations down here would you?"

PersonMan
2012-05-05, 08:53 AM
The gnome doesn't say anything for a moment, his eyes flickering more brightly and his body completely still. Chugger is quite difficult to kill. It's the only reason why his stupidity hasn't been the end of him yet. He's a loyal servant, though, the gnome says. As for rodent-things...I think I know what you mean. There is a nest of scavengers not far from here - perhaps you found some while they were out hunting and particularly hungry, he adds, stroking his chin with one hand. Were the hand not pale, burned, covered in scars and withered to almost nothing, the gesture might have reminded you of a professor of some sort.

Seriss, you notice, has wrapped herself entirely in her cloak.

TekHed
2012-05-05, 07:18 PM
Soren moved over closer to Serris, resisting the urge to put an arm around her. Instead he coughed, covering his mouth to clear his throat. As he did so, concealing his lips, he used the small bit of magic common to his race to discreetly send her a message.

"What's wrong?"

PersonMan
2012-05-06, 04:30 AM
Seriss looks up at Soren's question, a shudder going through her. Remember the bodies out in that chamber? The ones buried under the rest and burned alive? She whispers in response, He did that, another shudder runs through her, and she clenches her mouth shut for a moment, shaking.

Soren:
You can tell that she isn't shuddering out of fear, but rather barely-restrained anger and disgust. It's clear, due to your sudden insight (read: natural 20), that she's holding herself back only to keep from plunging the entire group into fighting.

DM:
Rolls for how many tons of potatoes will be falling on the third story of the clocktower on page 27 of this thread:

[roll0]

Confusing, ain't it?

TekHed
2012-05-06, 05:10 AM
"They were Erish" he replied still under the magic of the message cantrip. "Would they have done any different to us? What are you suggesting we do? This is the er..un-dead mage. A gnomish legend turned real. He may be able to help us drive the usurpers out..."

PersonMan
2012-05-06, 12:09 PM
Seriss' expression darkens at Soren's explanation. It doesn't matter what they would do to us. The thing that makes us different from them is our morals. She turns to look at the gnome for a moment, before returning her gaze to Soren. Can't you see the hate in him? He doesn't care about the Gnomish State, he just wants to slaughter the Erish.

TekHed
2012-05-06, 03:05 PM
Keeping himself turned to hide the words he is whispering through the magic Soren replies.

"Okay, well I see your point, but what would you have us do? You want us to pick a fight with this guy? We'll be the next suckers being burned alive on that pyre..."

PersonMan
2012-05-07, 10:18 AM
I think we should either leave now or try and convince him that the way he's fighting is wrong, Seriss replies, visibly relieved at Soren's agreement about the gnome.

While the two converse, the gnome seems to be concentrating on the strange swishing noises coming from the water sack behind him.

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-05-07, 03:38 PM
Danid does not trust the gnome, nor does he approve of his morals. With a healthy suspicion he keeps a good eye on him while Soren and Seriss communicate.

rolls:

Use whatever roll is applicable, if any at all.

Trying to see if he is up to something: Sense motive [roll0], perhaps something conceiled, sneaky: Spot [roll1], or is even performing or maintaining magic: Spellcraft [roll2]

TekHed
2012-05-07, 10:15 PM
"Alright, stay frosty." Soren sends over the link.

He turns back towards the former gnome.

"Excuse me, ah, Mr..er, mummified mage...hey do you have a name or something we should call you?"

PersonMan
2012-05-14, 10:01 AM
I am Drenarius. This is what you will call me, Drenarius replies, turning from the strange sounds of his elemental comrades to you all again.

TekHed
2012-05-14, 01:42 PM
"Right. Drenarius." Soren tested his pronunciation.

"So, Drenarius...we're all in favor of driving the Erish out, and slaying all who oppose us, but even in war there needs to be certain, well...moral convictions, if you will. Enemies who surrender must be taken prisoner. Those tried and found guilty must be put to death as humanely as possible. To court the suffering of our enemy is to court our own hatred and ultimately that makes us even worse than our enemy; for even if we win, we lose our own souls in the process. You may have given up your gnomanity for immortality, but the rest of us still have to sleep at night, and look ourselves in the mirror in the morning. What I'm saying is, that while we share your cause and wish your aid in our resistance, we can't condone outright torture or putting our enemy through undue suffering. Like a rabid dog that must be put down, let us show compassion and mercy to the Erish and grant them a quick, clean demise..."

PersonMan
2012-05-14, 02:13 PM
Drenarius doesn't move for a moment, merely staring at Soren with his strange flickering eye-lights. Do as you will. I will do as I do, you cannot control me, he says, his eyes flickering mroe brightly as he speaks.

Seriss seems relieved when Soren speaks and either hides any disappointment or doesn't have any when Drenarius speaks again.

TekHed
2012-05-14, 03:05 PM
"Hey now, who said anything about control? You would think we'd make natural allies here..." Soren paused.

"Have you given any thought to what you will do once the Erish are gone?"

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-05-14, 03:08 PM
Danid eyes Soren, curious to where he is going with this. It is fairly obvious that Danid had rather leave this place and this....ungnome.

PersonMan
2012-05-26, 12:58 PM
Drenarius nods. "I have, actually! The killing won't stop there. The Erish are a plague on the world - all of it. In the interests of the Gnomish State and everything else on this plane, I will wipe them out!" Drenarius' eyes flare brightly as he describes his plan, and something about the fire behind him changes slightly. The water-blob-creature shifts, as well. It almost seems like their straightening up, somehow.

TekHed
2012-05-26, 01:26 PM
"No quarter given?" Soren raised an eyebrow at the undead's vehemence. "I suppose not even the children will be spared, yes? What about loyal turncoats who've seen the light like our noble Kator here? Must he die as well?"

PersonMan
2012-05-26, 04:23 PM
"Once the Erishian nation is destroyed, those who remain will be allowed to live, once those still loyal to the old crown have been purged," Drenarius says, waving a hand dismissively. "I imagine a few thousand may survive in the ruins of the old cities."

TekHed
2012-05-26, 08:32 PM
"And how do you plan to crush the Erishian nation? A few skirmishes underground is one thing...facing armies on open ground another. How will you accomplish this feat? Furthermore, once you have crushed them...how will you determine which are no longer loyal, and which have gone into hiding to better foment their vengeance upon you...as you have fomented here..."

PersonMan
2012-05-27, 04:25 AM
Drenarius doesn't respond for a moment. He simply doesn't move at all, as if frozen. After what seems like an unusually long pause, he speaks again. "You're right. Perhaps there won't be any survivors. As for how I will defeat their armies? I have the power to create my own armies!

TekHed
2012-05-27, 03:59 PM
"I thought you might say something like that." Soren smiled at the withered gnome. "Well, I've heard about enough to throw in my support..."

In a flash, Soren's kusarigama returned to his hand, lashing out with blinding speed to wrap around the undead gnome's legs. Ducking into a roll, he used his forward momentum to launch Drenarius through the air to land him solidly on his back at the feet of Kator, Danid, and Serris and himself, cutting the mage off from its minions. Even as he moved, the very shadows of the room seemed to congeal around the gnomish ninja, making him hard to pinpoint in the room.

Oh well...thought we might gain an ally here, but even lawful neutral can't stand for genocide so it's back to combat we go...

Free action draw double weapon. Move action 15 feet west to E8 (gain concealment from Child of Shadows Stance.

Standard action: Mighty Throw Maneuver:

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Opposed trip roll: [roll1] Drenarius has to resist with Str.

If successful, Drenarius ends up prone in C8 (Kator may need to 5 foot step to E9 to use his Glaive, but Drenarius will be flanked).

Does this count as a surprise round, since he may not have been expecting an attack?

Alright gang, let's stomp on this jerkwad! Hopefully being clustered with us in his inner sanctum will discourage his elementals from unleashing any area attacks on us.

PersonMan
2012-05-27, 06:48 PM
OOC:
Yep, that's a surprise round. I'm pretty sure it's a picture perfect example of a situation that would call for one.

Anyways, to speed things up a little I'm just going to roll up initiative right here.

Soren: [roll0]
Kator: [roll1]
Danid: [roll2]
Serris: [roll3]

--

Bad Guys:

Drenarius: [roll4]
Flame-o: [roll5]
Aquabubble: [roll6]

Drenarius' doomed to fail trip check: [roll7]

...Wow. Well, I guess they do call it a Random Number Generator for a reason, after all. Nat 20s aside, I'll get to work on the bulk of the post now.

By the way, these were kind of supposed to be recurring antagonists, but if you guys manage to just take them apart right here I won't try to pull any funny stuff.

Initiative Order
Serris - 19
Danid - 19
Flame-o - 18
Soren - 18
Drenarius - 13
Aquabubble - 9
Kator - 6

Soren's throw meets surprisingly stiff resistance and for a moment it almost seems like the undead gnome will stay on the ground despite the force on his legs. His strength gives way after a second, though, and with a hate-filled roar he goes flying through the room, over one the shelves and onto the ground. Too startled by the sudden action, nobody else in the room can react.

As Soren completes his roll Serris takes a small step back from Drenarius, pulling out her sword. "You are a monster," she says, bringing the blade down on the prone body of the gnome, hitting him as he tries to roll to the side to avoid the blow. Although it only barely hits, the blade cuts deeply into the withered flesh and a spurt of black, foul-smelling liquid splatters on the floor as she pulls her sword back up. Drenarius' grimace barely changes and he growls something incomprehensible.

The shock caused by the sudden flying arrival of the sort-of mummified gnome fades and Danid finds himself with a freshly injured Drenarius at his feet. From his vantage point, it's clear that the wound is quite deep, but that Drenarius is still a threat.

Combat map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&pli=1#gid=0)

DM:
Drenarius: 17
Vrosheg: 25
Hakreg: 27

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-05-29, 01:32 AM
Danid and his wolf take a small step to switch places. It appears that the vile gnome is being taken care of, so Danid focuses on the direction of the water stream. He starts gesturing and produces a feral snarl as for a short moment his eyes are filled with fierce rage. Immediately his rage is transferred to his wolf companion, who lowers his head and growls, ready to leap into battle.

Taking a 5 ft step to swap places with my wolf and then casting Enrage animal. Danid will have to maintain concentration on the spell (duration concentration + 1 rd/lvl).

Danid is focused on the minions. The moment one of them moves to the battle, the wolf is ordered to move to attack it.

Wolf attack [roll0], damage [roll1] and trip if hit [roll2].

New wolf stats:
Hp21, AC14, bite+5;1d6+4, trip+3

PersonMan
2012-05-29, 08:30 AM
Initiative Order
Serris - 19
Danid - 19
Flame-o - 18
Soren - 18
Drenarius - 13
Aquabubble - 9
Kator - 6

DM Rolls:
S: [roll0]
K: [roll1]
Se: [roll2]

From the ground Drenarius releases a strange sound more akin to the crackle of flames than normal speech. In response, the being of fire swells up for a moment. Then, for most you, the world disappears in a blast of flame. For a moment, searing flame engulfs a large section of the room. Soren, Kator and Serris are enveloped by the fires and take 4 points of damage. As the flames vanish, the living flame has already advanced up to Soren, clearly intent on attacking.

Combat map. (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AuKuoXW6xMD6dE1NZG1lazNnM0FnZlI2S0lORWRMd VE&authkey=CIHnvNIL&pli=1#gid=0)

DM:
Drenarius: 17

TekHed
2012-05-29, 04:11 PM
Raising his hand to block the flare of light, Soren quickly recovered to press the attack.

"Aww, your precious books and potions got all burned up!" he quipped sarcastically to the insane genocidal ex-gnome. "Well you know what they say Drenarius...fight fire with fire..."

Calling upon the power of the Silent Flame, the sickles in each of Soren's hands grew red-hot before bursting into flame. Switching his grip to the middle of the chain, both ends whirled through the air, curving around Kator to strike at the prone monster.

Quickly, before the fire creature could touch him, Soren leaped into a mid-air somersault, vaulting past the small shelf and landing where Danid's wolf had just been.

Swift action boost: Burning Blade
Standard Action Wolf Fang Strike against Prone Drenarius (flanking bonus cancels flurry penalty, Drenarius takes prone AC penalty)

[roll0]
Damage: [roll1] + [roll2] fire.

[roll3]
Damage: [roll4] + [roll5] fire.

Move action Tumble DC 15 to move to square C7 (note that on Danid's initiative the Wolf was ordered to move and attack FLame-O so the current map is therefore inaccurate and C7 should be empty).

[roll6]

If successful, Soren takes no AoO from Flame-O for the movement. Drenarius will take AoOs from Danid, Soren, Serris, and Kator if he tries to stand up.

PersonMan
2012-05-30, 12:54 AM
Initiative Order
Serris - 19
Danid - 19
Flame-o - 18
Soren - 18
Drenariuseadnarius - 13
Aquabubble - 9
Kator - 6

OOC:
Now I had to fiddle with the map, as the readied action would go off partway through Flame-o's turn...

Gah, now I know why dungeon rooms are always so huge. This place is so crowded it's a pain just to move around (unless you're Soren and can just throw everyone, including himself, around).

Alrighty, I moved the badguys around. As well as Danid's wolf.

By the way, I'm going to let Soren take back his Tumble if he wouldn't have done so if he knew Drenarius died. It's the kind of thing live does better than pbp...

DM Rolls:
Dem saves:
Wolf: [roll0]
Se: [roll1]

Dmg: [roll2]

Balance:
[roll3]
[roll4]

Drenarius would probably have had a hate-filled reply for Soren, had he not fallen apart in a puddle of black liquid and withered flesh. It's certainly not the most appetizing sight, especially as some of the liquid seems to start boiling, releasing purple smoke that smells terrible.

The water-bubble creature surges forwards, stopping before the wolf. A partially separate sack of water suddenly swells up before exploding and a rush of water strikes both Danid's wolf and Seriss before hitting the corpse, knocking it onto the table.

The attack is a failure, though, as both of the targets nimbly avoid the stream of filthy water.

Kator's up.

DM:

PersonMan
2012-06-01, 02:12 PM
Initiative Order
Serris - 19
Danid - 19
Flame-o - 18
Soren - 18
Aquabubble - 9
Kator - 6

In what may be one of the most embarrassing moments of his life, Kator misses his target, the flame creature, terribly. His attack is the kind of thing one would expect from an instructor telling his students what not to do, and the look on his face shows that this is completely unexpected.

Serris clears her throat and produces a melodic sound that doesn't seem quite possible. Somehow, it pricks at the edge of your mind, like a needle on the edge of reality bringing a long-forgotten thought to the forefront of your being. For an infinitely short moment the sound twists into a soft whisper, a single word - Ash. After just enough time for you to perceive this odd happening, but too quickly for you to get a good sense of what it is, it's over. The sound changes your perception, though, and even now everything seems clear in a way it wasn't before. Where before you might have thought of striking in a certain way, it now seems foolish to. You can see another opening waiting to be taken advantage of and feel a strong urge to strike, exploiting it before it closes.

Danid feels the strange power flowing through him and his link to the wolf tells him it courses through her, too. What does he do?

OOC:
You probably already guessed it. Natural 1.

Oh, and you all have a +1 morale bonus to attack and weapon damage rolls.

I've always been a fan of sometimes writing something that accurately portrays reality-bending mixes of skill and magical power as what they are. This is weird stuff, even for those used to dealing with magic.

DM:
V: 25
H: 27

K A:[roll0]
K D: [roll1]

Autopsibiofeeder
2012-06-01, 02:56 PM
Danid continues to concentrate, channeling anger and rage into his wolf. The beast snarls and attacks the same foe again. Should these creatures appear to stop attacking us now their master is gone, Danid will tell his wolf to stop.

I believe he was busy attacking the fire thingy.
Bite [roll0], damage [roll1], trip check [roll2], crit confirm (if needed, but I am guessing fire-o is immune) [roll3]

PersonMan
2012-06-01, 04:08 PM
Initiative Order
Serris - 19
Danid - 19
Flame-o - 18
Soren - 18
Aquabubble - 9
Kator - 6

Danid's wolf hits the flame creature, but...well, being composed of flames, it seems that merely hitting it won't be enough. The shifting fire reveals a more solid-looking core, but it shifts quickly enough to make attacking it a difficult task even with your supernaturally clear perception.

In response to the wolf's attack, the flame creature lashes out with a strong blow, hitting her in the side. The strike itself has surprising strength behind it, dealing 7 physical damage and the flames of the creature's body scorch her for 2 fire as they lick her hide.

Soren, your body feels almost like the same quicksilver your weapons seem to be when you draw them. What do you do?

DM:
V: 25
H: 27

K A:[roll0]
K D: [roll1]