PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Bard PrCs

ILM
2011-04-26, 07:00 AM
What are good PrCs that provide full casting advancement and advance bardic music?

Greenish
2011-04-26, 07:14 AM
There's Virtuoso in C.Adv.

mootoall
2011-04-26, 07:21 AM
Sublime Chord gets better casting and half bardic music, plus its own effects. It's generally considered the best Bard PrC.

Mordokai
2011-04-26, 07:44 AM
Combine the two and you're golden.

ILM
2011-04-26, 10:18 AM
Any other good full casting* PrC that one can take at early levels (4-6)? I can enter Virtuoso at 8 and SC at 11, that's a few more Bard levels than I strictly need, and I'm willing to take a slight hit to daily bardic music uses if it means getting cool class features and maintaining full casting advancement.

* or at least for the 3-4 levels I'm likely to take

Keld Denar
2011-04-26, 10:57 AM
Lyric Thamateurge is pretty sexy. Gets full bardic casting, full advancement of music/day (but not new/better songs), and adds spells/day and spells known off the Wizard list. Sonic Might is pretty awesome too. My Bard just used Sonic Might to cast a Sonic Weapon spell on an ally, using Heighten Spell to raise it to 4th level to add 5d6 damage per swing with his axe.

You can't get into LT before level 7 though, since you need 9 ranks in a skill to qualify.

Mindbender is accessable after level 5 though. Doesn't advance music, but advances casting, has a strong fort/will save, and gives telepathy 100'. One of the best 1 level dips ever published.

ooknabah
2011-04-26, 12:14 PM
Mindbender is accessable after level 5 though. Doesn't advance music, but advances casting, has a strong fort/will save, and gives telepathy 100'. One of the best 1 level dips ever published.

Almost every arcane spellcaster I ever made in 3.5 dipped this- Great fun for role playing and a huge tactical advantage in the right situations.

Kansaschaser
2011-04-26, 12:21 PM
Lyric Thamateurge is pretty sexy. Gets full bardic casting, full advancement of music/day (but not new/better songs), and adds spells/day and spells known off the Wizard list. Sonic Might is pretty awesome too. My Bard just used Sonic Might to cast a Sonic Weapon spell on an ally, using Heighten Spell to raise it to 4th level to add 5d6 damage per swing with his axe.

You can't get into LT before level 7 though, since you need 9 ranks in a skill to qualify.

I'm going to second the Lyric Thaumaturge. You can add some pretty good spells from the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list to make you shine.

Sonic Weapon with Sonic Might is one of the better tricks from the Lyric Thaumaturge.

Coidzor
2011-04-26, 12:26 PM
Any other good full casting* PrC that one can take at early levels (4-6)? I can enter Virtuoso at 8 and SC at 11, that's a few more Bard levels than I strictly need, and I'm willing to take a slight hit to daily bardic music uses if it means getting cool class features and maintaining full casting advancement.

* or at least for the 3-4 levels I'm likely to take

With sublime chord, one just needs to get 3rd level Bard Casting by level 10, so there's a bit of pressure off. Sublime Chord will take care of you from 4th to 9th. Especially since Virtuoso is 9/10ths casting as far as I can recall, so taking the first level and maybe second level while one is a bard and then taking the 2nd/3rd-to-9th/10th levels to progress Sublime Chord casting is a pretty sweet set up. One only needs 7 levels of bard casting by level 10 (provided sufficient charisma) in order to pull this off.

Bang!
2011-04-26, 03:42 PM
I'm very fond of Frostburn's Stormsinger. It has full spellcasting and a bunch of songs that play with wind, weather and lightning storms. Add Melodic Casting to cast while you use those abilities, and the game starts to get really fun.

My one complaint with the class is that even though Magical Aptitude is a prerequisite, UMD isn't on the skill list. I haven't had problems affording it cross-class, but it's annoying and probably an oversight.