PDA

View Full Version : Planar Shepherd and cheese factor

Heliomance
2011-04-26, 07:37 AM
We all know Planar Shepherd is one of the most preposterously overpowered PrCs ever written. But how much of that is due to the existence of Dal Quor? Is it any less ridiculous in the Great Wheel?

Gnaeus
2011-04-26, 07:44 AM
Still rediculous. The ability to use Spell Like Abilities alone (say by assuming a form that has Gate or grants Wishes) is high level broken. Planar traits is just a bonus. And honestly, anything that is full druid + extra options is near the top of the cheese factory. It isn't (quite) beholder mage or tainted scholar, but it is still in the next step down with things like Dweomerkeeper.

Cog
2011-04-26, 08:24 AM
From what I understand, Eberron's relatively small cosmology is actually a limit on the class's power.

SurlySeraph
2011-04-26, 01:57 PM
Yep, Wildshape into an outsider that has Wish or Gate as an SLA and you can win everything.
Bonus: Wildshape into a thing that has its own casting progression, and use Natural Spell to be an insta-dualcaster. This is really nasty with Ethergaunts. Plus Planar Bubble or whatever that feature is called for the Ethereal Plane arguably lets you be ethereal 24/7.
Plus Planar Bubble for the Positive Energy Plane or Negative Energy Plane would make being near you pretty damn deadly for anyone unprepared.

Aemoh87
2011-04-27, 05:08 PM
From what I understand, Eberron's relatively small cosmology is actually a limit on the class's power.

The amount of choices doesn't matter when one of them is clearly the best choice in the entire game.

In heavy optimized campaigns I have not had a problem with planar shep in the great wheel though. Usually they pick fire for the wishes, but I charge them exp for the wishes so it balances. (I keep things challenging so it is still appealing to them to have the wishes available.)

I fear master of many forms more.

Tshern
2011-04-27, 05:48 PM
Even if you don't use the Outsider wild shape thing you are not left without options, you have full Druidic casting. All the planes that have angelic inhabitants are nice. There are some items that can crank your effective wild shape level beyond you HD, so you could even wild shape into a Solar at level 20. Or to a Planetar considerably earlier. How does level 17 Cleric casting sound at level 14?