PDA

View Full Version : AvP rant

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-26, 10:10 AM
I feel the need to rant, because I recently acquired alien vs predator, and, like pretty much anyone, started the predator campaign first.

Ugh. What a terrible idea. They manage to cram so many bad choices into the first couple levels I just quit.

The first, and most forgivable sin, was in having instructions that you can't skip. This is forgivable because it goes away after the first level so it's only a bother for ten minutes or so.

The second was that you can't even follow these instructions while they're onscreen. There's one part where the game says "PRESS E TO DISTRACT A MARINE" and then "PRESS E AGAIN TO SELECT WHERE YOU WANT HIM TO GO." Pressing E at this point, does nothing. You can't press E until the game finishes telling you to press E. You just have to sit there, waiting for your chance to press E.

The worst thing about it though, was the animations. Everything seems to have it's own really long, unskippable, unbreakable animation. Want to kill a guy? Well, your predator will just grab his throat, punch him, stab him, rip off the head, and then fondle the spine lovingly for a bit, before going off and having a tea party to celebrate, and while this is happening you can't do anything at all, you just have to watch. Watch, while thinking thoughts like "I sure hope the three other marines in the area don't notice this lengthy, gory process."

There's an animation for almost everything you do, too. I'm only two levels in, and I've already seen everything twice. Every door you open requires you to punch a power grid, or use your wristwatch to play angry birds, or something. Ultimately, playing as a Predator is a slow, clunky experience. I've had games of TF2 where I felt more like a ninja assassain, and I playthe guy with the minigun

Whose idea was this? I admit! I havn't actually seen the predator movie, but I get the general idea that they're supposed to be about stealth and speed. So why is it that killing anyone requires you to stand perfectly still and uncloaked for fifteen minutes?

GloatingSwine
2011-04-26, 10:34 AM
Whose idea was this? I admit! I havn't actually seen the predator movie, but I get the general idea that they're supposed to be about stealth and speed. So why is it that killing anyone requires you to stand perfectly still and uncloaked for fifteen minutes?

Whilst it is a big part of what the Predator does, trophy taking and general spinal column fondling comes after the fight, not during.

Silverraptor
2011-04-26, 11:06 AM
I'm sorry if my post in the steam thread caused you to get a game you don't like.:smallfrown: The campaigns aren't really the best thing ever. Mainly, my friends and I just do the various multiplayer type games together. Mainly we do the "Fight against increasing number and harder alien waves together" when we don't feel like raging at each other since the game likes to pull so much Bulls***

As for the Predator missions, ya, they were annoying. In fact, I'm impressed. I could barely get through the first mission before getting fed up (Not including the tutorial). But if you recall, they say in the tutorial that doing a killing blow will leave you vulnerable. The thing is that there are 2 types of killing blows: Stealth kill and brutal kill. The stealth kill is designed for you to sneak up behind your opponent and kill them quietly, preferably from a distraction to lure him far away from the group. The brutal kill is where you bash them in the face once with a normal attack, and decide you want to show him how much of a dominator you are. Mainly, you're suppose to do that type of kill when he's the last marine left, or the marine has really pissed you off and you want his death to be as painful as possible, thus the fondling of the spine. Mainly, you just want to punch the marines repeatably in the face until they die, or you get the plasma cannon and decide to melt their face off.

I would actually suggest the Alien missions, as they seem to be more about stealth, since you have to rely mainly on shadows and destroy all the lights that can get in your way. Your distraction is easier to do because all you have to do is hiss and the marine will come right to where you hissed, meaning that if you're above hanging on the wall, Om nom nom. The Alien also works the same way in killing blows as the predator. Back attack, kill them quietly. Front attack, make their death painful. Both of which take a while to kill, about the same time as the predator.

The marine has no killing blow nonsense. He is entirely ranged, becoming entirely screwed in close combat fighting. Your best bet is to block and bash them away (Which does so little damage) and then empty a quarter of your pulse rifle into their heads. Good news is that you sonar can detect things sneaking up on you, and here's a tip. If you turn around and don't see anything, look up. The marine missions are meant to be played first for dramatic effect, since they incorporate so much movie quality into it. Prime examples are just as you flip the power switch in a dark room, something hits and knocks you over and when you stand up to look around, the recently lit room is empty. Oh, and the "Prying open the door scene", is another example. And finally, they decide not give you practically any ammo. At most, you will have one full clip of pulse riffle ammo with about 20 extra rounds to spare. And then they say, "Now, go fight 12 aliens at once." But with this little ammo, I'll only kill about 6 of them. "That's why you have a pistol with unlimited ammo." You mean the pistol ammo that does so much less damage and carries only 18 rounds per clip? "That's the one. Good luck, and die as slowly as possible." *Click* *Beeeeeeeep* <Hissing in the distance coming closer> *Whimper*

But like I say, my friends and I only play multiplayer when we want to take a break from TF2 or some other game, but don't quite have the gaming mood out of us and are really able to tolerate some BullS***. Like I said, its not the best game out there, it just has some interesting things added to it. Also, I enjoy watching Aliens, Predator, and AVP that I kind of a fan for all those movies. Too bad the sequels went downhill.

Again, sorry if I caused you to buy a game you didn't like.:smallfrown: But since you have it, maybe we can play together sometime.

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-26, 11:37 AM
Again, sorry if I caused you to buy a game you didn't like.:smallfrown: But since you have it, maybe we can play together sometime.

Oh, no, it was unrelated to your post. I didn't see it until I had already made this thread, actually.

Is there a way to walk slowly? It seems almost impossible to sneak up on marines when they just say "I HEARD SOMETHING" and then turn around.

Silverraptor
2011-04-26, 11:42 AM
Oh, no, it was unrelated to your post. I didn't see it until I had already made this thread, actually.

Is there a way to walk slowly? It seems almost impossible to sneak up on marines when they just say "I HEARD SOMETHING" and then turn around.

Hmmm... I think there is. I will have to double check that when I get back home. Mainly what I did is Shift-jump right behind the marines and then do a stealth kill, since jumping is relatively quiet.

Edit: Also, do you have the map expansions?

shadow_archmagi
2011-04-26, 02:05 PM
Hmmm... I think there is. I will have to double check that when I get back home. Mainly what I did is Shift-jump right behind the marines and then do a stealth kill, since jumping is relatively quiet.

Edit: Also, do you have the map expansions?

I do, I do!

MrPig
2011-04-26, 08:48 PM
Holding either L-shift or L-ctrl (don't recall which) will make you walk. If a marine is staring at you when you're stealthed, just sit tight and try to distract him again to turn his back. Any movement will get you shot at.

I agree about the alien campaign though. It's much more stealth heavy.

Silverraptor
2011-04-27, 10:34 AM
Hmmm...I actually want to know how many playgrounders have the game so we can play together more often.

pffh
2011-04-27, 11:07 AM
I haven't played the predator campaign but the alien campaign suffers from the overly long killing blow cinematics too and it seems to select the longest ones when you're trying to kill someone quickly and retreat back to the shadows.

As for the marine chapter it has none of these animations and is quite fun even if it's just a generic shooter. Then again my opinion of it is probably biased since I did a lets play of it *points to the link in his signature* and that probably played some part in me enjoying it.