PDA

View Full Version : They Might Be Giants & JoCo: They Fight Crime

TheLaughingMan
2011-04-26, 11:18 AM
With brand new albums on the horizon, I figured I might try and start a thread and see where it goes.

For the uninitiated:

They Might Be Giants. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheyMightBeGiants)

JoCo. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JonathanCoulton)

The preview for (TMBG's) new album, Join Us, is on iTunes, so I'd implore you to check it out. :smallsmile:

JoCo's new album Artificial Heart (produced by John Flansburgh from TMBG) doesn't have this luxury, but I'd still suggest checking out his library, as he's written some damn fine songs about robot overlords and giant squids. :smalltongue:

So, what are your thoughts?

Dogmantra
2011-04-26, 11:32 AM
When I read about JoCo's new album being produced by Flansy I squeed a little. I will probably buy both of these albums what with TMBG and JoCo being pretty much #1 and #2 of my favourite musicians.

Leecros
2011-04-26, 11:33 AM
I recall They Might Be Giants from my obsession over Malcolm in the Middle...

The Glyphstone
2011-04-26, 11:46 AM
Wait, JoCo is actually writing new music? I'm shocked.

TheLaughingMan
2011-04-26, 11:12 PM
I recall They Might Be Giants from my obsession over Malcolm in the Middle...

You're older than you've ever been, and now you're even older....

Yeah, good times. :smallsmile:

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-26, 11:38 PM
Wait, JoCo is actually writing new music? I'm shocked.

Hey, just because he hadn't written anything in about two years doesn't mean he was permanently out of the biz.

Icewalker
2011-04-27, 02:45 AM
Hey, he wrote the new Portal 2 ending song. :smalltongue:

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-27, 04:59 AM
Hey, he wrote the new Portal 2 ending song. :smalltongue:

Shh! Spoiler alert!

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-27, 08:12 AM
Wheee, two of my favorites! :smallbiggrin:
I'm excited for the album, but I'm wary. From what I've listened to, Join Us doesn't sound like I'm used to TMBG sounding. It's probably just me being all "Grumblegrumble back in my parents' day their music was better." But "Can't Keep Johnny Down", which is the only one I've heard in its entirely, doesn't sound as TMBGish as, say, "Experimental Film" did. I was around for The Spine coming out, it had a much more classic feel to it than The Else.
But you know, those songs grew on me. "Withered Hope" is especially fun to hear live.
I haven't bought the Join Us album preview, but if I had money I'd buy it and the t-shirt. That is a neat album cover.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-27, 08:14 AM
Hey, just because he hadn't written anything in about two years doesn't mean he was permanently out of the biz.

2 years? I knew he was touring, but I didn't realize he'd written/published anything new since his Thing-A-Week Project in 2006.

Dogmantra
2011-04-27, 11:19 AM
From what I've listened to, Join Us doesn't sound like I'm used to TMBG sounding.

See, my definition of what TMBG sounds like is "exactly what I'm not used to TMBG sounding like". :smallbiggrin:

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-27, 12:26 PM
2 years? I knew he was touring, but I didn't realize he'd written/published anything new since his Thing-A-Week Project in 2006.

He had 10 songs written in 2009, collectively called The Aftermath.

Though thinking about it, they were never formally collected into an album, and I'd be pissed off if Artificial Heart turns out to have those ten songs.

The Glyphstone
2011-04-27, 12:30 PM
One of which was Blue Sunny Day, which I quite like. So I guess I was wrong.

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-27, 12:55 PM
See, my definition of what TMBG sounds like is "exactly what I'm not used to TMBG sounding like". :smallbiggrin:

That's a pretty good definition. :smalltongue: Mine is "Weird and/or thought provoking lyrics and an accordion."

TheLaughingMan
2011-04-27, 08:07 PM
Mine is "Weird and/or thought provoking lyrics and an accordion."

And with the exception of "Never Knew Love", that's pretty much Join Us as far as what has been revealed. Even Can't Keep Johnny Down throws the whole narrative into question with its last stanza.

I wish I could link to the live rendition of Canajohare for you fine people to witness (as it's one of the finished songs not on the EP), but my computer is ancient. Oh well. :smallfrown:

Green-Shirt Q
2011-04-27, 09:07 PM
The real question is when is JoCo gonna put up "Want You Gone" on iTunes? :smallfrown::smalltongue: