PDA

View Full Version : TWF with a Spiked Chain?

Rosarius
2011-04-26, 03:58 PM
Hey guys,

What's the point of taking TWF (and ITWF/GTWF) in a AoO Fighter build (tripper)? I mean, I don't even use two weapons and pretty much never full attack.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for my bad english and for the fact I already posted it in another thread (seems like it's too specific so I had to create a new one).

Cog
2011-04-26, 04:07 PM
If you're not full-attacking, then yes, there's little point to it; I do recall a feat out of the TWF line that gives you two attacks on an AoO, so that might be of use.

Was there some reason you expected to have a use for them?

Ernir
2011-04-26, 04:08 PM
What's the point of taking TWF (and ITWF/GTWF) in a AoO Fighter build (tripper)? I mean, I don't even use two weapons and pretty much never full attack.

There isn't a point to taking the TWF feats unless you are using two weapons or a double weapon. The spiked chain isn't a double weapon.

Magesmiley
2011-04-26, 04:10 PM
I don't think that there is much point usually.

I suppose that there are some oddball cases, such as using something like armor spikes or a gauntlet. Technically you could wield a pair of spiked chains that are a size small for you in one hand each too.

Optimator
2011-04-26, 04:13 PM
I don't know if small spiked chains count as one-handed weapons. Maybe in 3.0.

There is a prestige class in Drow of the Underdark (I think) that allows for dual-wielding spiked chains. Also, I think in Oriental Adventures there is a weapon called the "Chain" that allows for reach like a spiked chain but can also be dual-wielded at the cost of losing reach. I could be imagining that though.

Cog
2011-04-26, 04:14 PM
There isn't a point to taking the TWF feats unless you are using two weapons or a double weapon. The spiked chain isn't a double weapon.
You can TWF with a spiked chain and unarmed strikes just fine; you even get PA returns on your unarmed strikes. It still requires full-attacking, though.

Rosarius
2011-04-26, 04:15 PM
There is the build I saw last day. It's from Dictum_Mortuum Fighter's Handbook.

Fighter 1 Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Spiked Chain), Combat Reflexes, Combat Expertise
Fighter 2 Weapon Finesse
Fighter 3 Improved Trip
Fighter 4 ACF - Resolute
Fighter 5
Fighter 6 Two-Weapon Fighting, Karmic Strike --> Deft strike(Retrain after robilar's gambit acquired)
Fighter 7
Fighter 8 Improved Two-Weapon Fighting
Fighter 9 Double Hit
Fighter 10 Standstill
Fighter 11
Fighter 12 Robilar's Gambit, Greater Two-Weapon Fighting
Fighter 13
Fighter 14 Sidestep
Fighter 15 Defensive Sweep
Fighter 16 ACF - Overpowering Attack
Fighter 17
Fighter 18 Open, Open
Fighter 19
Fighter 20 Open

I think it's because of Double Hit? But why should we take GTWF then? And what's the point of taking TWF without any off-hand weapon? I know it's required to take Double Hit, but I don't think it's worth it.

He uses a Spiked Chain, not any other kind of Chain whatsoever.

Cog
2011-04-26, 04:20 PM
That build probably expects you to full-attack. Double-Hit is probably the feat I was thinking of before, though.

Rosarius
2011-04-26, 04:34 PM
Yeah, I know I'll certainly full attack with it... but what's the point of GTWF with a double-handed weapon?

Cog
2011-04-26, 04:36 PM
As I stated above, unarmed strike works just fine as a second weapon. Armor spikes too, though to a lesser degree if you're using Power Attack.