PDA

View Full Version : Spells for an Oracle (Pathfinder)?

ThunderCat
2011-04-26, 05:31 PM
I'm making an oracle for an upcoming campaign, and I'm pretty satisfied with my choice of everything except spells. The problem is that healing is already taken care of in the group, and my character has too low physical stats for spells that boost attacks to be viable. I know cleric spells are not the optimal choice for a caster that isn't interested in self-buffs or (too much) healing, but I like the character a lot, so I'll try to get the best out of it.

So far, I've decided to take cause fear and/or command, in order to have something useful to fall back on in combat, but I'm unsure of higher level spells (I would have taken spiritual weapon on level 4, but the spell says the attack is wisdom based, and the DM don't want to stray from RAW). I've taken the human favored class option which gives me more spells known, so I can afford to spend a few of them on spells that might only be occasionally useful, but I'm unfamiliar with the cleric list, and I have trouble predicting which spells would see most use in the long run.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :smallsmile:

satorian
2011-04-26, 05:52 PM
What Mystery? Do you have access to 3.5 sources? Is your CHA pumped? I assume you aren't Battle, since your physical stats are low.

Low level, I like sound burst for fort saves. If you don't have another healer, you need those, or at least easy access to wands.

If you can use SC(3.5), I like Moon Bolt and the Light of X series of spells.

ThunderCat
2011-04-27, 06:13 AM
Lore mystery. I've taken the Sidestep Secret revelation, so my defences are taken care off. I'm leaning towards the haunted curse for roleplaying reasons and to give me some offensive spells at higher level. The DM only allows Pathfinder material, and is not particularly open to houserulings. The party will be consisting of:

Cleric with the healing domain. The player is inexperienced, so while normal healing will be taken of, I'll probably be better at providing utility even as a spontaneous caster.

Summoner. Most likely focussed on buffing his eidolon, but the player is experienced enough to be sure to take other good spells on his list.

Fighter, possibly paladin. The player hasn't decided whether to go ranged or melee, and is currently considering perhaps making a rogue instead, so I'm not sure what I have to buff yet.

Wizard focussed on offensive spells and with divination as one of his opposed schools.

I'd like at least one offensive spell per level, but otherwise, I'm just looking for the spells that seem all-around most useful. I'll be getting 2 extra spells known of each level because of my race. So far I have:

Bless (not sure about it though)
Cause fear (retrained to command at level 4)
Comprehend languages
Cure light wounds
Identify (lore mystery spell)
Protection from evil
Shield of faith

Ancestral communion
Calm emotions
Hold person
Lesser restoration (figure it's one of the spells that's often needed several times in a row, but the cleric isn't likely to have prepared more than one)
Resist energy
Silence
Sound burst (thanks)
Tongues (mystery spell)

Blindness/deafness
Dispel magic
Locate object (mystery spell)
Magic vestment
Prayer

satorian
2011-04-27, 09:21 AM
Well then, PF only, at least until the new magic book comes out, is limited for Oracles, as you know. Really, I think your choices are solid, considering what you have to work with.

Some other options:
i. While the summoner has his eidolon, you can Summon Monster (at the highest level you have). Because of the choice of monster, this series at least allows some versatility. Fill the battlefield with mooks! You guys have a lot of squishies.
ii. Searing Light. You said you wanted offense. It ain't bad when there are undead. Or is your Dex too bad to use rays?
iii. 2nd level looks good. Maybe Shatter, though, depending on what you are fighting, it could be too situational. Really, though, your choices are fine.
iv. I've never liked Cause Fear. You scare them, they run. Then you have to chase them down so they don't warn their buddies. Command is nice. Bless is OK, but Obscuring Mist is nice battlefield control.