PDA

View Full Version : Assassin Caster builds

TheDreadedThrag
2011-04-26, 08:31 PM
Hey guys, building a side game stemming from another one we have rolling right now. Basically we can't always play at the same time but there are quite a few of us who are consistently up to play and do all sorts of new fun things. So I'm starting a new game where we're playing assassins, we have plenty of quiet stabby types, but i want to make an awesome caster (Divine or Arcane, psionic is covered) that will make a good companion and is also fun to play.

Any Ideas my incredibly crafty, nerdy brethren?

true_shinken
2011-04-26, 08:32 PM
Beguiler 10/Unseen Seer 10 sounds nice.

Welknair
2011-04-26, 08:42 PM
If you're open to homebrew, an Assassin Weaver (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10669872) would be interesting. Perhaps multied with Rogue...

Well, I guess it's a bit of a matter of what role you want to take in the party. Support? Actual killing? Reconnaissance? Distraction?

Straight Wizard is decent for buffing, killing, and info-gathering with some basic spells. Beguiler as mentioned is great for subversion and distractions, but I'd suspect your party could appreciate the ability to 'port... Is the party backed up by a guild that could provide such services, or are they freelancers?

TheDreadedThrag
2011-04-26, 08:54 PM
The beguiler looks pretty damn good, the idea has been tossed around quite a bit by other people as well. I would definitely allow a good homebrew in any of my games but it has to be mutually agreed upon by all that it's not broken (good or bad)
Weaver looks a little shennanigan-ery to me, so i guess i'd allow it for a bit, at least for some of these quick one shots these assassins things might turn in to.
But if it got out of hand it would quickly be hammered DM style.

know of any books that give a larger list of beguiler spells?

gorfnab
2011-04-26, 09:00 PM
Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Spellwarp Sniper 5/ Unseen Seer 9
Spellthief 1/ Wizard 5/ Unseen Seer 10/ Arcane Trickster 4
Beguiler 6/ Shadow Adept 1/ Beguiler 1/ Shadowcraft Mage 5/ Shadowcrafter 7
Rogue 3/ Cloistered Cleric 3/ Divine Trickster 10 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=9623145#post9623145)/ Divine Oracle 4

Bang!
2011-04-26, 09:02 PM
know of any books that give a larger list of beguiler spells?
Have you checked the end of the Beguiler class entry? That's confusing for a lot of people.

If you're looking for a larger list than that, there isn't one. You could probably trade in new stuff on a 1:1 basis, but the limitations are a pretty vital to the class not being outrageously borked.

Coidzor
2011-04-26, 11:20 PM
Mystic Wildshape Ranger 10/Master of Many Forms 10.
Mystic Wildshape Ranger 7/Nature's Warrior 5/Master of Many Forms 8

Sword of the Arcane Order. Natural Spell. 5th level wizard and ranger casting along with wildshaping abilities in scads.