PDA

View Full Version : Monster Manual II Monster Classes

YouLostMe
2011-04-26, 11:22 PM
Hello, Playground! The Community Monster Class thread got closed up, and stuff is currently in stasis, but I like making monster base classes (mostly because I fail at making 20-level classes, and this will give me practice building up to that), so I'm following the Forum Staff's decision and starting up my own thread.

I'll be making monsters solely from the MMII, because... well, it's the only Monster Manual that I reliably have on hand at any given time >.< If you have suggestions for a monster base class for me to make, feel free to post it. Right now, I'm only classes based around CR 5 or less, but I'll keep a list updated of classes that people want to see.

Monsters Made

Abyssal Maw (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10869525&postcount=3)
The Felldrakes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10869525&postcount=4)

Requests

{table]Name|CR
Thri-Kreen|2[/table]

NineThePuma
2011-04-26, 11:25 PM
I'd like to hear your ruminations on the Thri-Kreen.

In part cause I've got one that I've been looking at tweaking, but mostly cause I am honestly curious as to how others view it.

They're CR 2, BTW. The errata is wonderful.

YouLostMe
2011-04-26, 11:38 PM
Abyssal Maw (Base Class) (MMII p.57)

HD: d8
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+1|+2|+2|+0|Abyssal Maw Body, Quick Snap, Ridiculous Lunge, Power Attack
2|+2|+3|+3|+0|Demon, Rend Fallen, Blitz, +2 Str[/table]
Class Skills: (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Climb (Str), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis). Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)

Class Stuff
Proficiencies: Abyssal Maws are proficient with their own natural weapons.

Abyssal Maw Body: The Abyssal Maw loses all other racial bonuses and gains outsider traits (basically 60' darkvision). Abyssal Maws are medium-size outsiders with a base speed of 30' and a bite attack that delivers 1d8+1.5StrMod. The Abyssal Maw gains a bonus to natural armor equal to its Con bonus. The Abyssal Maw gains +2 Strength and -2 to Intelligence or Wisdom (player's choice at character creation). Abyssal Maws know Abyssal, and may learn other native languages of Outsiders or Common by having a high Intelligence score.

Abyssal Maws may choose to move quadrupedally. Their bite attack is unchanged. Abyssal Maws retain functioning arms and hands with fine manipulation, in case you're dumb enough to give them a sword instead of letting them bite people.

At 2 HD and every 6 HD after, increase the bite attack damage of the Abyssal Maw by 1d8.

Quick Snap (Ex): When an Abyssal Maw makes a full attack using only its bite attack, it may choose to gain one extra bite attack. If it does so, all attacks it makes in this round are at a -4 penalty.

At 7 HD, an Abyssal Maw only takes a -3 penalty for using Quick Snap. At 12 HD, it may make 3 attacks with Quick Snap. At 16 HD, an Abyssal Maw suffers no penalty for using Quick Snap.

Ridiculous Lunge (Ex): During a turn when an Abyssal Maw uses a move action to move 10' or more, it increases its reach by 5' for any natural weapons it has until the beginning of its next turn.

At 12 HD, an Abyssal Maw loses the above ability and gains a permenant +5' reach for any natural weapons it possesses. At 16 HD, an Abyssal Maw may make one 10' step per turn instead of a 5' step.

Power Attack: At level 1, an Abyssal Maw gains Power Attack as a bonus feat.

Demon: A level 2 Abyssal Maw becomes immune to poison and gains resistance to electricity equal to its HD, with resistance to acid, cold, and fire equal to half its HD. Abyssal Maws have telepathy out to 30' + 10'/HD.

An Abyssal Maw also gains the [Evil] and [Lawful] subtypes, and its natural attacks and any weapon they wield count as being evil and lawfully aligned for purposes of bypassing DR.

Rend Fallen (Ex): An abyssal maw loves to tear into its downed foes. It automatically deals its bite damage any foe it drops with a melee attack.

Blitz: A level 2 Abyssal Maw gains 2 + 1/3HD insight bonus to initiative. In addition, an Abyssal Maw can choose to gain Pounce or the Leap Attack feat (Complete Adventurer), ignoring prerequisites.

Ability Increase: At level two, an Abyssal Maw increases its Strength by +2.

YouLostMe
2011-04-26, 11:47 PM
The Felldrakes (Base Class) (MMII p.97-99)

Crested Felldrake

HD: d12
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Wil|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Crested Felldrake Body, Dragon, Scent, Threaten[/table]
For those using fractional BAB, the Crested Felldrake uses 3/4 BAB.
Class Skills: (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)

Class Stuff
Proficiencies: A Crested Felldrake is proficient with its own natural weapons.

Crested Felldrake Body: A Crested Felldrake loses all Racial Traits and Features, instead gaining Crested Felldrake features. The Crested Felldrake is a small, quadrupedal Dragon with a land speed of 40ft. It gains a primary bite attack that deals 1d8+1.5StrMod damage. The Crested Felldrake also gains a Natural Armour bonus equal to it's ConMod, and gains +2 Con.

Dragon: At level 1, a Crested Felldrake gains a resistance bonus on saves against sleep effects and paralysis equal to its HD.

Scent (Ex): At level 1, a Crested Felldrake gains the Scent ability.

Threaten (Ex): At level 1, a Crested Felldrake can distract opponents, forcing the fight to come of the dragon. As a move action, the Felldrake can focus on 1 target within 30'. Any creature that the Felldrake focuses on must succeed at a will save (DC 10 + .5HD + ChaMod) or take a -2 morale penalty to attack rolls or the DCs of any saves they provoke, until they attack, cast a spell on, or otherwise target the Crested Felldrake with an effect meant to deal damage or cause a detrimental condition.

Spitting Felldrake
HD: d12
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Wil|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Spitting Felldrake Body, Dragon, Acid Spit
2|+1|+0|+3|+3|Follow-up Shot, Acid Spray, +2 Dex[/table]
For those using fractional BAB, the Spitting Felldrake uses 3/4 BAB.
Class Skills: (4 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Swim (Str)

Class Stuff
Proficiencies: A Spitting Felldrake is proficient with its own natural weapons and its acid spit.

Spitting Felldrake Body: A Spitting Felldrake loses all Racial Traits and Features, instead gaining Spitting Felldrake features. The Spitting Felldrake is a medium-size, quadrupedal Dragon with a land speed of 30ft. It gains a primary bite attack that deals 1d6+1.5StrMod damage. The Crested Felldrake also gains a Natural Armour bonus equal to it's ConMod, and gains +2 Str and +2 Con.

Dragon: At level 1, a Crested Felldrake gains a resistance bonus on saves against sleep effects and paralysis equal to its HD.

Acid Spit (Ex): At level 1, a Spitting Felldrake gains a weapon, acid spit, with a range of 20' + 5'/HD as a ranged touch attack for 1d4 + 1d4/2 HD acid damage. This cannot be used for iterative attacks and has no range increment.

Follow-up Shot (Ex): At level 2, when a Spitting Felldrake successfully deals damage with its bite attack, it can chose to automatically deal acid spit damage.

Acid Spray (Ex): At level 2, a Spitting Felldrake can choose to create a cone of acid with a distance of half its acid spit range. All those inside the cone take the Spitting Felldrake's acid spit damage, and can make a reflex save (DC 10 + .5HD + ConMod) for half.

Ability Increase: At level 2, a Spitting Felldrake increases its Dexterity by +2.

Horned Felldrake
Under construction. Going to have Full BAB, +4 Str, +2 Con. Will get a horn attack, a roar ability (probably fear debuff or a similar effect to threaten, as the Crested Felldrake). Horn damage will scale, and possibly get used for iterative attacks, and NatArmor will bump up from ConMod to 2xConMod... I might add stances like the medusa, because it still seems a little empty.

In other news, I don't think I'll be finishing this guy any time soon... no inspiration has hit for the extra stuff he needs. So unless someone bothers me and provides some suggestions, this is on hold while I search for greener pastures...

YouLostMe
2011-04-26, 11:55 PM
Since I'm moving away from finishing the Horned Felldrake due to lack of inspiration, the Thri-Kreen is next on my list... time to find that MMII errata...

Edit: Hurgle burgle, you meant the XPH version, didn't you? Well, I suppose I'll drag it out. Maybe I'll make one of each... hmmmm

NineThePuma
2011-04-27, 12:05 AM
NO. NO PSIONICS. EW. PSIONICS.

Not that psionics are bad, but... I'd prefer the version without.

The Tygre
2011-04-27, 12:08 AM
Why not make both, or paths for the monster class?

YouLostMe
2011-04-27, 12:09 AM
Oh! Well, that's excellent. Also, it appears that Thri-Kreen, while having LA +2 in the XPH, are actually CR 1 creatures with 2 RHD and +1 LA in the MMII. I believe I shall be making a Level 1 class for them, unless you can show me that I'm doin' it wrong (which I probably am).

Edit: Concerning making 2 monsters, I think I may very well do that... If I don't get lazy by the end of the first one. We shall see, we shall see...

NineThePuma
2011-04-27, 12:10 AM
Good question.

The Tygre
2011-04-27, 12:11 AM
Hrmm... I know it's against basic procedure, but Thri-Kreen are actually pretty strong, what with the four arms and all. Maybe you really should aim for a two level. Then again, maybe I'm speaking blasphemy...

NineThePuma
2011-04-27, 12:16 AM
The original "Community Based Monster Classes" had a "Levels = CR" clause. This, thankfully, doesn't necessarily need it.

Might I suggest a two level "standard" class, and then a 1 level 'Psionic' optional hit die?

YouLostMe
2011-04-27, 12:48 AM
All right, posting initial thoughts on a the Thri-Kreen class:

Looking at the MMII entry, there is no alternative to a non-psionic Thri-Kreen, which sounds like an opportunity to me--I think I could actually try writing up three different types of Thri-Kreen: multiweapon fighting DPR, tanking with NatArmor and poison debuff, and PSYCHIC MIND POWURZ. No matter what the specialization, that ridiculous +30 jump needs to given some love.

No matter what, Thri-Kreen is just begging for a paragon class. This is looking awesome already.

HD: d8
{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1|+0|+0|+2|+2|Thri-Kreen Body, Poison, Thri-Kreen Specialty[/table]
For those using fractional BAB, the Thri-Kreen uses 3/4 BAB.
Class Skills: Class Skills: (2 + Int modifier per level, ×4 at 1st level)
Balance (Dex), Climb (Str), Hide (Dex), Jump (Str), Listen (Wis), Spot (Wis)

Class Stuff

Proficiencies: A Thri-Kreen is proficient with its natural weapons, 3 simple weapons, and 1 martial weapon.

Thri-Kreen Body:A Thri-Kreen loses all racial traits and features, instead gaining thri-kreen features. The thri-kreen is a medium-size, bipedal Monstrous Humanoid with a land speed of 40ft, 60' Darkvision, a Natural Armor bonus to half its ConMod, and a +2 racial bonus to Dexterity. Thri-kreens also have a resistance bonus on saves against sleep effects equal to their HD, and have weapon familiarity with gythkas and chatkchas (they treat these weapons as martial instead of exotic). Thri-kreens have a racial bonus to jump checks equal to twice their HD, and may use Dexterity for their Jump checks instead of Strength.

Thri-kreens have 4 arms, two of which are too weak to be used in combat at 1 HD, and a bite attack. The two functioning arms have a claw attack that deals 1d4+StrMod damage, and the bite attack deals 1d4+1.5StrMod damage. A thri-kreen can attack with a weapon (or multiple weapons) at its normal attack bonus, and make either a bite or claw attack as a secondary attack. At 7 HD, the thri-kreen may use its two arms in combat as primary weapons, and can take the Multiattack or Multiweapon Fighting feat instead of the Two-Weapon Fighting feat.

Poison (Ex): 1/day/HD, a thri-kreen may inject poison into a victim that it bites. The victim of the bite must succeed at a Fortitude Save (DC 10 + .5HD + ConMod) or be immobilized for 1d4 rounds (the poison deals no secondary damage).

Thri-Kreen Specialty: Thri-kreen vary a little, as shown here. At level 1, a thri-kreen must choose one of the three specialties. This specialty cannot be changed, and applies the the Thri-Kreen paragon class as well.

Deep Mind: Something... PLA's and buff for psionic classes?

Endurance: Something... +NatArmor, Paralyzing poison and more often?

Vicious Claws: Something... Arms gained earlier? Pounce or Leap Attack?

YouLostMe
2011-04-27, 12:53 AM
Doublepost...

I just looked at the comments... so you guys think it would be better to do a 2-level class? I guess it would be all right. I was thinking that a 2-level class could provide 2 strategies at level 1 (bite attack + poison, or full attack with claws), but if I made a second level of the class without doing psionics... well, I really don't know what else I'd put there aside from passives, like that fantastic +30 on jump checks.

Now that I'm thinking about that... a Tiger Claw-focused Thri-kreen warblade with LA buyoff and maybe Leap Attack... HOT.

The Winter King
2011-04-27, 11:17 AM
I did the phase wasp, the jovoc and the spellweaver bak on those threads. the jovoc was never approved, hyudra was ok with the wasp and the weaver was back when osceliamo was in charge.

YouLostMe
2011-04-28, 12:15 AM
Ah, yes, I see them! I may link to those some time in the future and/or use them as inspiration. I already know I want to do the spellweaver because it's an intriguing.

In other news, does anyone have a good idea for a psionic thri-kreen class ability? Bonus powerpoints seem lame, and I was thinking about providing PLAs, and give the clause that if you took a level in a manifesting class, you could trade in the PLAs to treat yourself as one level higher for pp, manifesting max, powers known, and all that jazz... but, while the concept is nice, it seems like it would be a tad strong. Thoughts?