PDA

View Full Version : a character concept for a barbarian

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 01:00 AM
Well I am not trying to avoid cliche as that has been deemed impossible. I simply wanted to ask if this sounds as fun /cool to you guys as it does for me. basically this guy will be someone when he gets angry he looses control (much like how frenzy works) does this sound reasonable/fun/cool?

also p.s when he does take frenzied berserker he will say to his party "I have been having alot of trouble controlling my temper, Please be careful."

MeeposFire
2011-04-27, 01:03 AM
From experience I can say it is a concept that is fun as narrative or as you being an only player. In a group its funny until somebody dies...

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-27, 01:07 AM
Very cliched, yes.

Actually, my last barbarian was pretty fun. I flavoured his rage not as anger, but extreme focus. Just shutting off his emotions nd going into pure fight mode. He was dead silent (no battle screams for him) and deadly with his spear (yes, you heard me. a SPEAR).

I had originally planned on going FB, and calling his frenzy his 'snapping point', where he would just... snap and go completely insane. I eventually went another path, but he was pretty dam fun.

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 01:12 AM
From experience I can say it is a concept that is fun as narrative or as you being an only player. In a group its funny until somebody dies...

unless in a frenzy I plan for him to punch people he knows in rage. when frenzy I dunno get the wizard to have calm prepared a ton XD, and based off what I read plan to have him have alot of will save stuff so he doesn't frenzy when stubbing his toe but he might punch it and break said item.

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 01:15 AM
If you go Frenzied Berserker, you should intentionally dump your Will save and buy a wand of Calm Emotions (give it to the archivist/cleric/favored soul/warlock). This will help you not kill your friends.

MeeposFire
2011-04-27, 01:29 AM
unless in a frenzy I plan for him to punch people he knows in rage. when frenzy I dunno get the wizard to have calm prepared a ton XD, and based off what I read plan to have him have alot of will save stuff so he doesn't frenzy when stubbing his toe but he might punch it and break said item.

When you are in a frenzy you do not get an option to punch people if you have an easy to use better option and even if you did you would do it lethally and when you rely on clam friends (or better yet grease) to get you out just remember if for whatever reason they can't cast it before your trun to kill comes up one o more PCs are likely to die.

LordBlades
2011-04-27, 05:55 AM
Using a Frenzied Beserker without talking it over with the other players first and/or taking all the necessary precautions to ensure he doesn't accidentally kill somebody might end up in a rather unfun game for the rest of your group (that or your char being summarily executed or cast out of the group, depending on the actual characters and the immersion level of the game).

Greenish
2011-04-27, 06:09 AM
unless in a frenzy I plan for him to punch people he knows in rage.That's only funny until an unarmed swordsage or a tashatalora decides to punch you back. Hard.

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 10:52 AM
When you are in a frenzy you do not get an option to punch people if you have an easy to use better option and even if you did you would do it lethally and when you rely on clam friends (or better yet grease) to get you out just remember if for whatever reason they can't cast it before your trun to kill comes up one o more PCs are likely to die.

I meant before I turn frenzied thats what I am going to do

Cog
2011-04-27, 11:22 AM
If you go Frenzied Berserker, you should intentionally dump your Will save and buy a wand of Calm Emotions (give it to the archivist/cleric/favored soul/warlock). This will help you not kill your friends.
I don't think this is such a good idea.

Vulnerability to Grease means you can't balance and you lose your actions.

Vulnerability to will saves means you get Dominated and use your actions to kill your allies.

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 12:08 PM
It has its risks, yes. :smallsigh:

Cog
2011-04-27, 12:33 PM
My point is that just making sure you don't have any ranks in Balance is much less of a risk than dropping your will save, for the same benefit.

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 12:44 PM
Actually, while in a Frenzy you can't use the Balance skill at all. If you have +Infinity, you can still be defeated by a bag of marbles.

Cog
2011-04-27, 12:55 PM
Even more reason to use Grease over Calm Emotions. :smalltongue:

Greenish
2011-04-27, 01:40 PM
I meant before I turn frenzied thats what I am going to doIf you start punching your friends every time you get angry, you soon won't have friends to punch. Or in D&D, you might one morning not wake up, and the happy party will divvy up your wealth.

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 01:52 PM
If you start punching your friends every time you get angry, you soon won't have friends to punch. Or in D&D, you might one morning not wake up, and the happy party will divvy up your wealth.

I fear this from our "paladin" who is a bit too keen to the idea of slaughtering people. he doesn't play often and I know the others might see it as me getting into character and I will warn them before hand that he gets aggressive

LordBlades
2011-04-27, 01:55 PM
There is also the other alternative: buffing your will save enough so that DC 20 to exit Frenzy is trivial. Requires some optimization but it's doable.

Greenish
2011-04-27, 01:57 PM
I fear this from our "paladin" who is a bit too keen to the idea of slaughtering people. he doesn't play often and I know the others might see it as me getting into character and I will warn them before hand that he gets aggressiveKilling or imprisoning a person who flies into unstoppable rage and tries to kill everything nearby every time he stubs his toe seems to be a paladin's duty.

Lyndworm
2011-04-27, 02:05 PM
There is also the other alternative: buffing your will save enough so that DC 20 to exit Frenzy is trivial. Requires some optimization but it's doable.
It's certainly doable, yeah. I didn't mention it because you still pretty much auto-fail the "stubbed toe = TPK" DCs (10 + damage dealt, and anything semi-significant will be doing 20-50 easy).

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 02:05 PM
Killing or imprisoning a person who flies into unstoppable rage and tries to kill everything nearby every time he stubs his toe seems to be a paladin's duty.

that would make sense if he started doing this after I made my character (which I am going to make) but enough about the paladin, is the concept a decent idea or is it rubbish

Greenish
2011-04-27, 02:52 PM
that would make sense if he started doing this after I made my character (which I am going to make) but enough about the paladin, is the concept a decent idea or is it rubbishWhy are you asking us? You should be asking from the people you're going to be playing with. I know I've quite a few characters who wouldn't look at you punching your allies (let alone going all FB on them) for long without trying to get you imprisoned, slitting your throat or just dropping you from the group, depending on their personality.

slaydemons
2011-04-27, 03:00 PM
well I am asking because if the concept sounds like rubbish for people who have played longer then I and sounds like it wouldn't be fun for them, it might not be fun for me basically I am asking peoples opinion on the character concept I made is it full of crap and I should think up a better one or is it good enough to grab attention from my friends.

Greenish
2011-04-27, 03:01 PM
well I am asking because if the concept sounds like rubbish for people who have played longer then I and sounds like it wouldn't be fun for them, it might not be fun for me basically I am asking peoples opinion on the character concept I made is it full of crap and I should think up a better one or is it good enough to grab attention from my friends.The character concept is a stable of fiction, but works considerably less well in a cooperative game. Why would anyone want to travel, let alone adventure, with your character?

MeeposFire
2011-04-27, 03:05 PM
And in fiction you don't have to worry about real life people being upset because you killed their character because you were in a frenzy and they couldn't grease you fast enough.

ILM
2011-04-27, 03:29 PM
well I am asking because if the concept sounds like rubbish for people who have played longer then I and sounds like it wouldn't be fun for them, it might not be fun for me basically I am asking peoples opinion on the character concept I made is it full of crap and I should think up a better one or is it good enough to grab attention from my friends.
It works in the beginning, but I think your group - possibly you as well - will tire quickly. Party-hurting mechanics aside, it's kind of one-dimensional.