PDA

View Full Version : Pimp my ride... check

Asheram
2011-04-27, 08:25 AM
Greetings, Ladies and Gentlemen.

A straight up question, I need to hit a ride check of DC35 for atleast one round and looking for a way to reach it.
Now, to the trouble; I need to do it with just items.
I already have a +2 racial, and the items must be RaI,RaW kosher, no Customs and no Dragon/Dungeon Magazine nor any third party books.

Is it doable?

Money isn't much of an issue but let's attempt to not bleed my wallet too much.

Edit: Right, and no saddles or items for the mount itself.

the_archduke
2011-04-27, 08:42 AM
Riding Bracers soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum. +4 and 2 more for every point of essentia you invest. What level are you? And what is your build so we can fit this stuff in.

For instance, 3 levels of factotum will get you Int to Dex skills. One level of Marshal will get you Cha to Dex skills. Can you fit those in?

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-27, 08:45 AM
Riding Boots from MIC should help. That'll give you +5 right off the bat.

Idle curiosity...why do you need to hit a ride check of DC 35?

Asheram
2011-04-27, 08:46 AM
Riding Bracers soulmeld from Magic of Incarnum. +4 and 2 more for every point of essentia you invest. What level are you? And what is your build so we can fit this stuff in.

For instance, 3 levels of factotum will get you Int to Dex skills. One level of Marshal will get you Cha to Dex skills. Can you fit those in?

L18 Wizard.
No levels, no feats, just plain items.

Oh, and no Incarnum nor Psionics, GM holds those books banned.

Zaq
2011-04-27, 08:49 AM
Level 18 Wizard? You have 9th level spells. I'm sure that there's a spell that can give you +lots to your Ride check. If it's an opposed check for some reason, Moment of Prescience will do it, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

And of course, if that breaks the "items only!" clause, I have one word: SCROLLS.

Asheram
2011-04-27, 08:52 AM

Well, in an attempt to find a mount for my character I stumbled across the Ecalypse from Manual of the Planes. :) Thought I'd search one now when we have three weeks of downtime to plan out.

The DC to break one is 30, and a -5 since you can't use a saddle.

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-27, 08:55 AM
Well, in an attempt to find a mount for my character I stumbled across the Ecalypse from Manual of the Planes. :) Thought I'd search one now when we have three weeks of downtime to plan out.

The DC to break one is 30, and a -5 since you can't use a saddle.

Interesting.

On a somewhat related note.....rodeo riding. It's a task that definitely makes use of the ride skill, but it would also make use of your strength. Would making a ride check with your strength bonus applied be the right call to make?

Asheram
2011-04-27, 09:05 AM
Level 18 Wizard? You have 9th level spells. I'm sure that there's a spell that can give you +lots to your Ride check. If it's an opposed check for some reason, Moment of Prescience will do it, but I'm sure we can come up with something.

And of course, if that breaks the "items only!" clause, I have one word: SCROLLS.

It's not an opposed check, I'm afraid.

Zaq
2011-04-27, 09:06 AM
This isn't 100% RAW, but I wonder if you could convince your GM that Charm Monster would lower the DC to break an animal . . . obviously, you'll still have to train it if you don't just want an eternally Charmed "friend" (which has its own problems), but Charm should at least put it in the mindset where it won't mind being trained quite so much.

Still, though, Wizard. Spells. Hell, if you're willing to blow a little XP on it, I'm sure you can turn Limited Wish into Surge of Fortune to guarantee yourself a nat 20 on the Ride check. Sure, a nat 20 on a skill check isn't an autosuccess, but it means you only need to dig up a +15. There are probably better ways to do this, as well.

Asheram
2011-04-27, 09:17 AM
This isn't 100% RAW, but I wonder if you could convince your GM that Charm Monster would lower the DC to break an animal . . . obviously, you'll still have to train it if you don't just want an eternally Charmed "friend" (which has its own problems), but Charm should at least put it in the mindset where it won't mind being trained quite so much.

Still, though, Wizard. Spells. Hell, if you're willing to blow a little XP on it, I'm sure you can turn Limited Wish into Surge of Fortune to guarantee yourself a nat 20 on the Ride check. Sure, a nat 20 on a skill check isn't an autosuccess, but it means you only need to dig up a +15. There are probably better ways to do this, as well.

My character is lawful good, I'm afraid. He might cheat a little, but he won't enslave beings like that.

Hm.. Surge of fortune.. that's 20.. +2 racial.. +5 dexterity.. that's 27.. +5 riding boots, sum of 32.. three more.. and we manage that with greater Heroism.
Yes!
Thanks for the help, people. ^^

Ichneumon
2011-04-27, 09:24 AM
The spell "cat's grace" adds another +4 to your dexterity (thus, also to your ride check).

Asheram
2011-04-27, 09:29 AM
Gah. Read up a little closer on Riding Boots... Those +5 is when used in combat. This isn't technically a combat.

And I already have a +6 (total of +5 mod) from gloves of dexterity.

I need atleast four more.

Ichneumon
2011-04-27, 09:35 AM
Maybe you can polymorth into something with a better racial bonus to riding?

Asheram
2011-04-27, 09:47 AM
Let's see here.

Surge of Fortune (Luck) rolls 20.
Dexterity (Normal) +2
Goves of dexterity (Enchantment) +3
Greater heroism (Morale) +4
Racial +2
Sum = 31

what I really need is a competence bonus...

Edit: Skillshard. Now I finally got it. ^^ Thank you all.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-04-27, 10:53 AM
Custom item of +10 Competence bonus to Ride is (10)^2 * 100 or 10k. Easily within your budget.

Asheram
2011-04-27, 10:54 AM
Custom item of +10 Competence bonus to Ride is (10)^2 * 100 or 10k. Easily within your budget.

No customs, I'm afraid. We banned all customs after... *coughs* "The Incident"

dextercorvia
2011-04-27, 11:11 AM
Scrolls of Improvisation and Divine Insight can get you great bonuses( +10~15) on skill checks, if you can swing the UMD.

Master's Touch provides a +4(insight) and is a Wizard spell. Share Talents gets you a +2 (unnamed bonus) and you can use your familiar as your buddy since his ranks = your ranks.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-27, 11:13 AM

This + 21 ranks +2 racials +2 mw tool +6 enhancement bonus to dex + 4/5 inherent bonus to dex = 35

That's assuming you have a base dex of 10, which is kinda weak for a caster. Given that you already have a +5 mod, you could skip the inherent bonuses, since those are expensive.

If you want more, bribe a bard to hang around and boost you.

Asheram
2011-04-27, 11:25 AM
This + 21 ranks +2 racials +2 mw tool +6 enhancement bonus to dex + 4/5 inherent bonus to dex = 35

That's assuming you have a base dex of 10, which is kinda weak for a caster. Given that you already have a +5 mod, you could skip the inherent bonuses, since those are expensive.

If you want more, bribe a bard to hang around and boost you.

Thanks, but there are no ranks, and... is there even a kosher masterwork tool to ride?
And those boots only works when performing checks for mounted combat.

Darrin
2011-04-27, 11:27 AM
what I really need is a competence bonus...

Potion of guidance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). 300 GP, +20 competence bonus to next skill check.

Asheram
2011-04-27, 11:31 AM
Potion of guidance of the avatar (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a). 300 GP, +20 competence bonus to next skill check.

Sir, I could kiss you. That's Exactly what I need.