PDA

View Full Version : Swear filter.

xelliea
2011-04-27, 11:42 AM
How come words like n i g r a are filtered when it means black in latin, what is wrong with that, also names and places like ****ing in austria or the character ***** jim

Bayar
2011-04-27, 11:48 AM
Well the first one is easy since it is often used in more derogatory ways. Anyway, if you want to write an otherwise filtered word so that it can be seen, just change the color of a part of the word to black so that the word filter does not detect it. Like so:

Moby **** becomes Moby ****.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-27, 11:50 AM
Well the first one is easy since it is often used in more derogatory ways. Anyway, if you want to write an otherwise filtered word so that it can be seen, just change the color of a part of the word to black so that the word filter does not detect it. Like so:

Moby **** becomes Moby ****.

However, only do this for situations like the above. Never bypass the board filter to write a curse word and always use caution even then. Certain character names might be infraction worthy.

Excessive Use of Profanity
Most profanity is censored by our filter, though a few mild terms (generally those that appear in the comic) and words that have both a benign meaning and a profane or offensive one, are not. However, the excessive use of profanity, whether or not it is filtered, is not acceptable. Most words can be determined from context, and we wish to maintain a friendly and courteous environment on this forum. Please note that an occasional filtered word or use of a non-filtered word is not an offense; if, however, your ****** posts ******* regularly look like this ******* sentence, it is in violation of this rule. We do realize that the filter is both under-inclusive and over-inclusive; we are not going to change it by poster request. Also, circumventing the filter for even a single profanity is a more serious violation of the Forum Rules (see below under "Circumventing the Board Filter").

Here's the exact rule, and they specifically mention they aren't going to change the filter.

Dvandemon
2011-04-27, 11:52 AM
How come words like n i g r a are filtered when it means black in latin, what is wrong with that, also names and places like ****ing in austria or the character ***** jim

Uh...I think the answer's fairly obvious.

MoonCat
2011-04-27, 11:54 AM

The first one isn't filtered.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-27, 12:00 PM
The first one isn't filtered.

Actually it is. I just checked. As Bayar mentioned, the first is used as a derogatory term so that's probably why it's filtered. If you want the mods to weigh in on a particular word, it would help to mention what you want to use it for.

If you need a latin word for black, I checked with an online translator and atra works, plus it isn't filtered by the board. It also won't be misinterpreted to mean something you don't intend.

SPoD
2011-04-27, 01:22 PM
We're not permitted to post in languages other than English anyway, so why would anyone NEED a Latin word for black?

Also, why does someone need to start a thread about this every three days? Is it really THAT burdensome to not be able to pepper your posts with racial slurs? If so, then don't post here.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-27, 01:25 PM
We're not permitted to post in languages other than English anyway, so why would anyone NEED a Latin word for black?

Possibly a name for a character in a game. As an example, my character for my Bi-weekly D&D game is named "Umbra"

SPoD
2011-04-27, 01:27 PM
Since they can name their character anything at all, they don't so much NEED to use that word, as they just WANT to use it. And them just wanting to use it is not enough of a reason to allow a word that can be used derogatorily.

Mystic Muse
2011-04-27, 01:29 PM
Since they can name their character anything at all, they don't so much NEED to use that word, as they just WANT to use it. And them just wanting to use it is not enough of a reason to allow a word that can be used derogatorily.

True, I'm just pointing out a possible legitimate use for languages other than English on the board. Since your complaint was directed at using languages other than English rather than that particular word.

Bayar
2011-04-27, 01:35 PM

Yeah, it's not like we are using a dead language for anything in this day and age.[/sarcasm]

See, even though the rules say you have to talk in english, that does not mean that every word that is not a part of the english language is banned. There might be instances where words in other languages can be used for greater effect. True that some instances of certain words can be used in derogative ways, but that does not mean that it cannot be used legitimately.

NerfTW
2011-04-27, 01:37 PM

Since you're from Germany, I'll assume you just aren't familiar with the use of that word as a racial slur in America. (Although the fact that you mention the character in Huckleberry Finn shows you should know perfectly well what it means in English) :smallconfused:

It's a racial slur for black people that has a long and very ingrained history in the United States. It's not a subtle swear like "d ick". If you want to know more, I'd suggest looking up the civil rights movement in America, since most would be violating the "no politics" rule. Suffice to say, it's not an archaic and unused term that some people think it is.

Since this is an English speaking board, the word is banned, regardless of it's meaning in another language. Just like "Laputa: Castle in the Sky" would show up as "La****: Castle in the Sky" on a Spanish speaking board. (Poor example, though, as that WAS intended to be referencing the Spanish word in Gulliver's travels.)

SPoD
2011-04-27, 01:40 PM
Yeah, it's not like we are using a dead language for anything in this day and age.[/sarcasm]

Generally speaking, people do not pepper their speech with the Latin words for colors, no.

See, even though the rules say you have to talk in english, that does not mean that every word that is not a part of the english language is banned. There might be instances where words in other languages can be used for greater effect. True that some instances of certain words can be used in derogative ways, but that does not mean that it cannot be used legitimately.

Perhaps, in theory, but any argument for using THIS foreign word in such a matter is pure sophistry. The only probable "greater effect" this word could produce is the very one the filters are attempting to stop. No one is asking to use the Latin word for yellow or blue, because those are not also slurs.

Roland St. Jude
2011-04-27, 01:52 PM
Sheriff: As always, 1) no we're not changing or abandoning the word filter and 2) you may use work-arounds to post non-profane, non-pejorative, entirely appropriate uses of filtered works.