PDA

View Full Version : Is there a Material Tougher than Adamantine?

Sims
2011-04-27, 02:19 PM
Is there any official metal or mineral stronger than adamantine? It'd be cool to have a Golem made of it. That and do you know how much it'd be worth?

Like a pound of Adamantine = ??GP

true_shinken
2011-04-27, 02:29 PM
Riverine, I believe.

Sims
2011-04-27, 02:36 PM
Huh? Riverine Colossus doesn't sound all that tough XD, but I may as well look it up. (The mineral that is...)

Douglas
2011-04-27, 02:43 PM
Riverine isn't actually a mineral. It's really miniature movable Walls of Force.

I'm really not too sure how you're supposed to shape it into an object, but apparently it can be done.

Marnath
2011-04-27, 02:43 PM
If you have Stronghold Builder's Guide, there's a material in there that's better than adamantite, but I forget it's name. You can also get your material of choice magically hardened too, on the same table I think.

balistafreak
2011-04-27, 02:45 PM
Huh? Riverine Colossus doesn't sound all that tough XD, but I may as well look it up. (The mineral that is...)

Aha! See, Riverine is not actually a mineral.

It's water...

... encased in Walls of Force. So yeah.

IIRC it can't be dispelled - it takes a Rod of Negation/whatever that random artifact is to break. And it's a freakin' wall of force.

Now, while it may be "unbreakable", it doesn't have adamantine's bypass-DR, so YMMV.

Alternatively, Aurorum, from (again, IIRC) the Book of Exalted Deeds. This material isn't that tough (just like steel I believe), but whenever it breaks, it reforms itself in a round or two.

However, I'm pretty sure that both of these are magic and that golems, being inherently anti-magic as they are, are not really candidates for construction of these materials. So yeah. Adamantine? :smallredface:

TheCoelacanth
2011-04-27, 02:47 PM
I don't think there is ever an offical price per pound given for adamantine but if you extrapolate from the price of an adamantine breastplate:

The price, excluding the masterwork component is 10000 gp. When creating a non-magical item, one third of the price is in raw materials so the adamantine cost about 3333 gp. A breastplate weighs 30 lb which would mean that adamantine costs about 111 gp per pound.

Koury
2011-04-27, 02:49 PM
Obdurium is the SBG material, for the record.

ETA: From what I recall, its basically Adamantine x2

Abbalah
2011-04-27, 03:08 PM
Obdurium is the SBG material, for the record.

ETA: From what I recall, its basically Adamantine x2

Yep. Same hardness, twice the hit points. But much heavier, so it's not really suited for equipment you carry around - hence it's appearance in the Stronghold Builder's Guide, where it's likely intended to be used to build castle walls if you're too rich for plain ol' Adamantine but not willing to spring for Walls of Force.

hamishspence
2011-04-27, 03:16 PM
Glassteel from Champions of Valor is pretty good- same hardness and hitpoints as adamantine,

has the lightness, reduced armor check penalty and reduced spell failure chance, of mithril.

JaronK
2011-04-27, 03:16 PM
50% higher hardness, actually. And you can buy Obdurium in 10'X20'X (wall depth) chunks.

Also note that various other effects can raise hardness. Dwarvencraft Quality items get +2 hardness and +10 hp (Races of Stone), while the Harden spell permanently increases the hardness of a material by half your caster level. There's also a psionic ability that does something similar.

JaronK

Thurbane
2011-04-28, 04:20 AM
Starmetal (CArc) is like Adamantine+. It has all the special qualities of Adamantine, plus it does extra damage against extraplanar creatures.

Eldan
2011-04-28, 04:29 AM
A friend once created Indestructiblum for a joke campaign. Does that count? :smalltongue: