PDA

View Full Version : Zombie Apocalypse games?

Scarey Nerd
2011-04-27, 02:57 PM
Are there any good zombie apocalypse games out there, survival after infection style? I'd be really interested in playing one if there was a specific system, rather than just d20 modern or GURPS. Not that I dislike them, I was just wondering if there were any decent specific games?

The Rose Dragon
2011-04-27, 03:21 PM
First, this probably belongs in the general forum, rather than this subforum.

Second, as always, the answer is All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Scarey Nerd
2011-04-27, 03:31 PM
First, this probably belongs in the general forum, rather than this subforum.

Second, as always, the answer is All Flesh Must Be Eaten.

Oooooh, I didn't realise there was a general forum, I knew it had been split into the three new ones but I didn't know it had the general bit :smallredface:

Wikipedia was pretty vague, although it did mention it was Unisystem, which after having looked at Witchcraft is a system to my liking :smallsmile:

UserClone
2011-04-27, 04:25 PM
Actually, I feel like GUMSHOE (the system of Esoterrorists, Fear Itself, and Mutant City Blues) would be great for any investigative-style zombie campaign. If you're only interested in survival horror, AFMBE is perfect. If you'd like to look deeper into the mysterious origins of the infection and weed out the conspirators responsible, and discover who knows the cure, I think GUMSHOE is better, IMO.

BrowncoatJayson
2011-04-27, 04:28 PM
All Flesh Must Be Eaten is the best for play, but I also like the Palladium zombie game Dead Reign for the fluff. Its got a wicked, scary atmosphere.

Bang!
2011-04-27, 05:30 PM
It depends on what you want to emphasize. All Flesh Must Be Eaten makes an excellent survival game. There are a lot of rules, but for a kill-stuff-to-survive game, that's a good thing - it means life and death aren't determined by fiat.

(And from that standpoint, most of the generic rules-heavy tactical rulesets are actually pretty good for zombies.)

My favorite zombie game is Shotgun Diaries (Here's (http://www.flamesrising.com/shotgun-diaries-rpg-review/) a fairly thorough).

Shotgun Diaries is a light, fun system that's quirky in that it doesn't have rules for killing zombies -- it basically assumes that that's what characters are always doing :smalltongue:. SD focuses on the details of survival situations like scavenging resources and trying to avoid the places where the characters' weaknesses will become their downfall. The font is pretty terrible and the rules will drive a powergamer crazy, but the game is cheap, easy to learn and a lot of fun.

Blackjackg
2011-04-27, 07:52 PM
Another vote for AFMBE.

I'll also note that White Wolf's World of Darkness has zombies and zombie games laid out in one of their setting books-- Antagonists, I believe.

Randomonioum
2011-04-28, 09:38 AM
Theres also Zombie: The coil for oWoD, for those who want to play for the other team, as it were.