PDA

View Full Version : I need some ideas

Shinizak
2011-04-27, 03:13 PM
My players are currently chasing half man half spider people into a set of ruins to rescue 22 yak and 7 yak farmers. I want the ruins to be based around puzzle solving with out the obvious "push square block in the square hole" type thing. I want the traps/puzzles to be themed on spider defenses, also, the ruins are based upon a lost mother god.

any ideas to help are much appreciated.

Apophis
2011-04-27, 06:18 PM
I'd include things that could only be bypassed by climbing on the walls/ceilings like a spider could. Things like large pit traps, the opening to a hallway being 20ft off the ground, etc.

Mutazoia
2011-04-27, 11:12 PM
My players are currently chasing half man half spider people into a set of ruins to rescue 22 yak and 7 yak farmers. I want the ruins to be based around puzzle solving with out the obvious "push square block in the square hole" type thing. I want the traps/puzzles to be themed on spider defenses, also, the ruins are based upon a lost mother god.

any ideas to help are much appreciated.

Wow...been a while since I've seen anybody dust off the old Dryders...

see if you can find a copy of Queen of the Demonweb pits :smallbiggrin:

Kol Korran
2011-04-28, 11:08 AM
hhhmmmm... spider creatures. i have a few thoughts/ comments:
1) check my sig for the monster compendium. skip down till you reach the Aranea. i no longer quite remember what i wrote there, but perhaps it could help. especially about web magic.

also, in the current adventure i'm running the party tries to search the great depths of an Aberration maze. i've tried to put on a sort of an unusual "super puzzle". basically it goes like this:

2) the cavern cannot really be mapped- the caves are huge, the tunnels are twisting and turning, and perhaps they are even changing shape and destination? (this last element depends on how mystic you want it to be). the party first reached a huge cavern with more than 50 openings.

when they go through an opening they can either reach an empty room, a populated room (that serves some purpose, such as a watering pool, a barricade and so on), a small nest of the main inhabitants, a big critter room (bigger threat creature), some special hazard rooms, and last of all, the special rooms- these were impressive rooms that together composed a very small "Stable" dungeon, beyond the twisting caves. perhaps in your case- the center of the web?

the navigation wasn't entirely random- certain kinds of caves could lead with greater chances to certain others (you could only reach the special rooms from either the nest or big critters for example). there was a small eco system, but that might be too much for your desires.

the empty rooms are importent only if you use some sort of a time pressure:
- the Yaks are gonna die some time soon/
- or the spider may be using long rang magic n the characters every hour or so (poison? or sudden massive ebs with spider swarms coming from the holes in the walls?)
- some sort of magic of the mother god (what exactly do you mean by this?) perhaps the party slowly start to become spidery creatures? to join their bretheren within? (some sort of a spell effect with will or fort save every certain time), or perhaps they become younger and younger as time passes? (slowly losing from all their abilities?)

3) as a part of this challenge, i had various mystic signs scribed to the tunnels and over caverns' entrances. in my adventure these were druid signs of the druid sect that that guarded the caves. the signs gave warning and meaning to the rooms, and more importantly- to navigation. the party could navigate the cave with the appropriate skill checks, but the signs could help them quite a bit.

you could have the signs be mystic signs of the mother god's religion. make them ambiguous, and let the party try and figure it out.

if you want me to help you with this, tell me. not sure i can, but i'll try. (if i'll remember to check this thread) :smallwink:

anyway- good luck to you!

Otacon17
2011-04-28, 11:37 AM
You could possibly have spider-holes that the beasts emerge from if the party gets too close, a la trapdoor spiders? And, while I can't think of anything off the top if my head, you could surely do something fancy with webs.

randomhero00
2011-04-28, 11:54 AM
With webs you could make it a three-D room. Up down left right. Then, the puzzle, based off that could depend.