PDA

View Full Version : Warlock dip?

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 04:02 PM
Hey guys, I'm building an assassin right now, and am seriously considering dropping a level or two into warlock. I am a swordsage now, focusing on two weapon fighting with kukri under the One Shadow Hand discipline. I put out plenty of damage right now (I took shadow blade, and have an 18 str, 16 dex so 2d4+14 without maneuvers at a +2(0 BAB+4STR-2IMP TWF attack)), so I was looking into having a few more tools in my kit. I know right now, that at third level I'm grabbing some essentia so I can take at least three levels in umbral disciple starting at six, to pick up HIPS. Right now, my fear is that my terrible BAB will begin to hurt me more than the tools I pick up help. From warlock I was going to pick up See the Unseen, and the other is yet to be determined. Any opinions, suggestions, or berrations for my idea?

true_shinken
2011-04-27, 04:17 PM
See the Unseen is good, but I'm afraid you're spreading yourself too thin. You're a Swordsage - you need more maneuvers. Why don't you dip Incarnate instead, setting you up for Umbral Disciple?

So, basically, don't do it. And this is coming from (probably) the biggest fan of melee warlocks on this forums.

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 04:28 PM
Hmm, just the one lvl dip, or two? I'm losing plenty of initiator lvls as is (though HIPS is worth it) so I'm trying to find ways to increase my toolkit without sacrificing much. Any cool ideas to increase my flexibility? This is the first time I've ever not played a caster of some sort so it feels odd to not have solutions to problems up your sleeve prepared for just such an occasion. But that's tier 3 i guess.

Greenish
2011-04-27, 04:30 PM
You can get HiPS from warlock dip and that one feat from DotU. Takes a swift action though, if I recall correctly.

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 05:10 PM
DoTU is 2nd edition though, and I need 3.5. Hrm...my only other option for HiPS, a fairly important feature for any assassin is to go shadowdancer, but that involves burning 3 feats.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-27, 05:15 PM
DoTU is 2nd edition though, and I need 3.5. Hrm...my only other option for HiPS, a fairly important feature for any assassin is to go shadowdancer, but that involves burning 3 feats.

They printed a 3.5 DotU. We are talking about Drow of the Underdark right?

The Cat Goddess
2011-04-27, 05:18 PM
If you don't have Weapon Finesse, grab a level or two of Swashbuckler... even if you do, according to the rules you can just grab any feat you qualify for instead.

true_shinken
2011-04-27, 05:19 PM
They printed a 3.5 DotU. We are talking about Drow of the Underdark right?
Of course. There were no feats on 2nd edition, even.

If you don't have Weapon Finesse, grab a level or two of Swashbuckler... even if you do, according to the rules you can just grab any feat you qualify for instead.
That's not according to the rules, no.
Marshall even gets some spotlight for being an exception, with his Skill Focus (Diplomacy).
A reasonable houserule and one that I use, but not RAW.

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 08:38 PM
OH YEAH! A feat and a one lvl dip for HiPS as a swift action? Hell yeah! (just opened current DoTU).

Any better ideas for HiPS, or for other neat things that allow for flexibility in a swordsage assassin?

Cog
2011-04-27, 08:40 PM
Make sure your party members don't mind you dropping that 20% miss chance from Darkness all over the place.

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 08:42 PM
I don't think it works like that. The feat says spend a use, not cast. You're giving up your ability to cast darkness for HiPS.

Cog
2011-04-27, 08:43 PM
You need to spend a use and be near already existing magical Darkness.

Elrihm
2011-04-27, 08:46 PM
Oh...well...that's actually kind of dumb. I'm hidden as long as I'm traveling through this obvious patch of utter darkness?

Cog
2011-04-27, 08:51 PM
There are plenty of uses for it. Complete stealth simply isn't one of them.

Particle_Man
2011-04-27, 09:30 PM
Depending on your type of assassin, Eldritch Glaive might be nice. You could go to your victim absolutely weaponless, study him for three rounds while chatting etc., and then BOOM!