PDA

View Full Version : Meenlock Prison Advice

isotunknown
2011-04-27, 08:14 PM
Anyone have any advice fro running Meenlock Prison from Dungeon 146. This looks like a spooky and well thought out low level adventure. I just hope there might be some seasoned hands out there who can lend some advice.

Coidzor
2011-04-27, 08:49 PM
...Meenlocks?

:smalleek: You want your players to kill you? :smallconfused:

faceroll
2011-04-27, 09:41 PM
...Meenlocks?

:smalleek: You want your players to kill you? :smallconfused:

I think he wants to kill his players.

isotunknown
2011-04-27, 09:49 PM
Yikes!! I want neither of those things. The adventure just looks cool. Are you saying that meenlocks are just too powerful? And here I thought that adventure looked really creepy and cool.

Are you familiar with the adventure? Perhaps, if they are too powerful I should up the level of the party before having them go through this adventure.

I really would appreciate any help with how to run this adventure well and if adjusting the party or meenlocks is a part of that, I'm most definitely game.

faceroll
2011-04-27, 10:06 PM
Meenlocks are low CR monsters that have a perma-death effect. If you're cool with running that kind of game, then Meenlocks are awesome monsters. Contrary to popular board opinion, there's nothing wrong with killing characters.

Coidzor
2011-04-27, 10:09 PM
Meenlocks are low CR monsters that have a perma-death effect. If you're cool with running that kind of game, then Meenlocks are awesome monsters. Contrary to popular board opinion, there's nothing wrong with killing characters.

It's killing characters when they have no chance because the creatures are there not so much as challenges but as a more disguised form of rocks fall, everyone dies that's generally objected to with Meenlocks.

isotunknown
2011-04-27, 10:15 PM
I'm getting the clear message that meenlocks are powerful, really powerful creatures that can, it seems, with ease, kill characters.

The adventure looks cool to me. Have you guys seen the adventure?

Or is the fact that there will be meenlocks make it completely unworkable? That's the impression I'm getting.

And while we're on the subject, why is it that they are so powerful? Is there no way mitigate what makes them too powerful or un-fun?

Boci
2011-04-27, 10:17 PM
It's killing characters when they have no chance because the creatures are there not so much as challenges but as a more disguised form of rocks fall, everyone dies that's generally objected to with Meenlocks.

The meenlocks I'm looking at take 1d6 hours on a helpless victim to do this. I'm more worried about the three different types of save or suck they possess.

faceroll
2011-04-27, 10:21 PM
Meenlocks get within 30 feet of a character and mark it. Afterwards, any meenlock within 300 feet (no LoS required) can cause damage to the creature. After the creature falls unconscious, they kidnap it.

ShriekingDrake
2011-04-28, 02:30 PM
Meenlocks get within 30 feet of a character and mark it. Afterwards, any meenlock within 300 feet (no LoS required) can cause damage to the creature. After the creature falls unconscious, they kidnap it.

From reading the description of the Meenlock in MMII, I don't see what you've described here--at least not as you've described it. I see nothing, for instance, that automatically gives meenlocks the ability to cause damage at 300ft. They have a powerful effect that can cause wisdom damage at 300 feet, with a failed will save. They have telepathy at 300 feet. Also, the fear effect does not "mark" the victim, at least in my reading.

They are still tough buggers. They should be CR'd much higher.

Let me also add that I think this adventure looks cool as well. Though I've never run it.

flabort
2011-04-28, 05:51 PM

Are you mixing your 4e in my D&D?

isotunknown
2011-04-28, 08:27 PM
So is some of this concern about the meenlock aimed more are the 4e version?

Has anyone run this module?

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 12:19 AM
Are you mixing your 4e in my D&D?

As far as I can recall, that's the 3.X meenlock.

SilverLeaf167
2011-04-29, 08:07 AM
The other abilities in the 3.5 version don't seem THAT bad, except that the Paralysis effect is pretty much deadly if you fail your save, AND they can cause you Wisdom damage every few round that you're even within 300 ft. of them. Those stack up to be pretty horrible if there are many of them...

Yora
2011-04-29, 09:08 AM
I've run it with our current group, and I think it went really great. However, I used custom creatures instead of meenlocks. Also the players managed quite well to avoid combat, but they do that all the time.

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 01:14 PM
The other abilities in the 3.5 version don't seem THAT bad, except that the Paralysis effect is pretty much deadly if you fail your save, AND they can cause you Wisdom damage every few round that you're even within 300 ft. of them. Those stack up to be pretty horrible if there are many of them...

Well, that's the thing about Meenlocks which is the thing that's bad enough by itself regardless of the rest of the creature. :smalltongue: