PDA

View Full Version : Question re: Ultimate Magus Augmented Casting

under_score
2011-04-27, 09:50 PM
I've tried to find an adequate answer to my quandary on the great ocean of knowledge we call the internet but have so far failed. I would delight in your thoughts, o brave and learned ones of the playground! (All you cowardly, mindless undead are welcome to share your thoughts as well, I suppose :smallwink:)

With the Augmented Casting ability of the glorious Ultimate Magus, does the spontaneous application of a metamagic feat increase the casting time of the spell (1 standard => 1 full round, etc)? If so, does it do this only for the spontaneous casting side or for both? The text in Complete Mage says nothing either way, and the errata does not address the Ultimate Magus at all.

I offer you this bit of text from the SRD, in the section concerning metamagic feats, to consider:

Sorcerers and Bards

Sorcerers and bards choose spells as they cast them. They can choose when they cast their spells whether to apply their metamagic feats to improve them. As with other spellcasters, the improved spell uses up a higher-level spell slot. But because the sorcerer or bard has not prepared the spell in a metamagic form in advance, he must apply the metamagic feat on the spot. Therefore, such a character must also take more time to cast a metamagic spell (one enhanced by a metamagic feat) than he does to cast a regular spell. If the spell’s normal casting time is 1 standard action, casting a metamagic version is a full-round action for a sorcerer or bard.

The flavor of this suggests to me that the UM's Augmented Casting would require an increased casting time for BOTH prepared and spontaneous casting.

On the other hand, my intuition says only the spontaneous casting would need increase casting time.

However, I've also heard recently that Metamagic Rods do not increase casting time for spontaneous casters. I am unsure about this (also welcoming your thoughts here), but if this is the case, then it seems that the UM class feature would not increase casting time at all.

Thoughts? Experiences? RAW? RAI? Balance?

dextercorvia
2011-04-27, 09:59 PM
I believe that it doesn't increase casting time unless the spell itself is cast spontaneously. It is similar to Divine Metamagic, which doesn't increase the casting time for prepared spells.

A sorcerer still must take a full-round action when using a metamagic rod, just as if using a metamagic feat he possesses.

under_score
2011-04-27, 10:08 PM
I only just now observed this:

Spontaneous Casting and Metamagic Feats

A cleric spontaneously casting a cure or inflict spell can cast a metamagic version of it instead. Extra time is also required in this case. Casting a 1-action metamagic spell spontaneously is a full-round action, and a spell with a longer casting time takes an extra full-round action to cast.

This further supports what you have said (and what my gut intuited).

erikun
2011-04-27, 10:09 PM
By RAW, no it wouldn't. Wizards don't increase their casting time when using metamagic, prepared casters specifically don't get the increased casting time, and the ability says nothing about an increased casting time.

Actually, the way I read it, Augmented Casting doesn't increase the wait time for either side of spellcasting. You are using Augmented Casting to "apply the effect of a metamagic feat" rather than actually using a metamagic feat, so I would rule that a using Augmented Casting on a spontaneous spell does not increase the casting time.

under_score
2011-04-28, 11:30 AM
Anyone have any other thoughts before I put this one to bed?