PDA

View Full Version : Blinded constructs and undead

ffone
2011-04-27, 09:59 PM
AFAICT there is no creature Type which has immunity to blindness (although oozes are naturally blind so it's moot). Most but not all permanent blinding effects allow a Fort save (Blindness/Deafness spell, nymph's Blinding Beauty) and don't affect objects, which means constructs and undead will be unaffected.

I noticed Remove Blindness/Deafness ALSO allows a Fort save (and is harmless)...does this mean that constructs and undead can't be 'healed' by it?

Glitterdust is a Will save and temporary, so a construct or undead could just wait out the effects. But Sunburst is a Reflex save or blind, and AFAICT permanent (the spell has instantaneous duration)...does a construct or undead who gets blinded by this spell (or one like it) have any way to regain their sight? Since the spell does more damage vs undead, it seems like a situation that might comes up (although light-sensitive undead like vampires are also simply destroyed if they fail the save) - PCs trying to nuke a lich BBEG, who teleports away after being blinded, and now wonders how to heal himself.

Doughnut Master
2011-04-27, 10:53 PM
Aren't constructs immune to magic anyway?

olentu
2011-04-27, 10:59 PM
I believe that the text in question is along the lines of immune to any effect that requires a fortitude save unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless.

under_score
2011-04-27, 11:00 PM
Aren't constructs immune to magic anyway?

As a rule, golems are immune to magic. Other constructs are not.

In any case:

Immunity to any effect that requires a Fortitude save (unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless).

Keld Denar
2011-04-27, 11:14 PM
It should be noted that Spell Immunity (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#spellImmunity) doesn't mean you are immune to all spells. It means you have SR: INFINITY vs spells. Spells that don't check SR will still affect creatures that have Spell Immunity. Glitterdust, one of the spells mentioned, will most certainly blind a golem, for a few rounds anyway.

Doughnut Master
2011-04-27, 11:17 PM
Ooh. Tricky.

ffone
2011-04-28, 03:24 PM
I believe that the text in question is along the lines of immune to any effect that requires a fortitude save unless the effect also works on objects or is harmless.

Ah-HA! Thanks! So Remove B/D works. And your constructs can actually be buffed (if they lack Magic Immunity, at least). Actually most buffs are Will anyway, I think.

Related question - if a character has Mind Blank up or is an immune-to-mind-affecting race/template like Feytouched, Half-Fey, or any undead, can they still benefit from mind-affecting buffs like bard music?

Keld Denar
2011-04-28, 05:01 PM
No. If you are immune to [Mind Affecting], you are immune to the good and the bad. You are also immune to bonuses or penalties of the Moral type, as they are, by definition, [Mind Affecting].

DonDuckie
2011-04-28, 05:21 PM
No. If you are immune to [Mind Affecting], you are immune to the good and the bad. You are also immune to bonuses or penalties of the Moral type, as they are, by definition, [Mind Affecting].

I like this, can I get a source on this? I really like knowing where to find the rules.

PlzBreakMyCmpAn
2011-04-28, 10:07 PM
Ctrl+F morale (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/typesSubtypes#undeadType)

AslanCross
2011-04-28, 10:13 PM
I like this, can I get a source on this? I really like knowing where to find the rules.

Immunity to all mind-affecting effects (charms, compulsions, phantasms, patterns, and morale effects).

I don't think it can be any more explicit than that.

under_score
2011-04-28, 11:29 PM

Though I recognize that this is how the rules do in fact work, I like the idea that you can still benefit from mind-affecting spells/effects if you are the source of them. eg. You cast mindblank on yourself and also greater heroism.

This works along the lines that you always overcome your own SR automatically.

(Again, I understand the rules don't in anyway support this, but it seems to me an appropriate house rule).

JaronK
2011-04-29, 04:50 AM
Related question - if a character has Mind Blank up or is an immune-to-mind-affecting race/template like Feytouched, Half-Fey, or any undead, can they still benefit from mind-affecting buffs like bard music?

In general they can't, but note that there's a feat called Requiem that lets Bardic Music bypass this immunity for undead, meaning they can buff undead and, more hilariously, use it with Haunting Melody and the Inspire Awe variant from Dragon Magic to make undead frightened.

JaronK