PDA

View Full Version : Need Eye-Themed Monsters

Angry Bob
2011-04-27, 11:10 PM
I need some for a themed dungeon, and I'm running out of creatures.

So far:
Beholders(MMI), Beholderkin(LoM), Lurking Strangler(MMIII)
Medusae(MMI)
Vitreous Drinker(MMIV)
Wheep(LM)
Oculus Demon(Expedition to the Demonweb Pits)
Nothic(MH)
Ocularon(FF)

EDIT: Added Since:
Gas Spores(LoM)
They're also in Lords of Madness. I'm using them, already. Jeez.

Any others you can think of? It's a pretty big dungeon and the party's pretty strong at this point, so go nuts.

under_score
2011-04-27, 11:15 PM
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/gibberingOrb.htm

Party? What party?

Zaq
2011-04-27, 11:44 PM
Do you like humanoid NPCs with class levels? Binders can get two (stacking) gaze attacks in-class, one from a cheap graft, one from Shape Soulmeld and Open Lesser Chakra (Fearful Mask and Brow, respectively), and then more from items or from spells.

Most things with a gaze attack with work, actually.

Also, yeah, Gibbering Mouthers might have "mouth" in the name, but for my money, it's the eyes that make 'em creepy.

classy one
2011-04-28, 12:19 AM
All Quori are centric. Especially the kalaraq (CR 20) who has a cloud of eyes surrounding them at all time. Problem is they can't manifest on the prime but I dont have enough info on your campaign to know if this is a problem for you.

YouLostMe
2011-04-28, 12:42 AM
Well, the Crimson Shadow is sort-of eye related. It's a humanoid-shaped red mist, and its only distinguishing features are two red glowing eyes. (p.53)

The Fihyr, while not thematically related to eyes, has lots of them. (p.100-101)

A Flesh Jelly is a giant sensory organ, and you could picture one as an eye without changing its mechanics. (p.104)

AslanCross
2011-04-28, 12:48 AM
There's more beholderkin in Monsters of Faerun: The gouger, the deathkiss, and the eyeball.

MM3 has the Lurking Strangler, which beholders are said to keep as pets.

LoM also has the gas spore, which is a fake beholder that reproduces by exploding its spores all over you.

EDIT: I didn't see you already posted the Lurking Strangler. I need to read the OP before I post. :P

Lhurgyof
2011-04-28, 08:20 AM
Occularon from the Fiend Folio?

Edit: Ouch, swordsage'd by the OP.

Ummm, there's a monster from AD&D that looked like a beholder but was a plant full of poison spores that exploded when you attacked it.

It may be in the tome of horrors.

Edit-edit: Agh, swordsage'd again. I give up. :smallsigh:

Quirinus_Obsidian
2011-04-28, 08:44 AM
The Ocular Spell metamagic feat is pretty hilarious. Methinks its in the Faerun Players Guide

Forged Fury
2011-04-28, 09:01 AM
One room of the dungeon that's submerged with an Eye of the Deep in it.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if that monster was ever updated to 3E (or 2E for that matter).

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-28, 09:12 AM
This reminds me of a crazy idea for a quest that I have.

A long time ago, there was born into a community of hill giants an unusually intelligent child with a single eye and no hair on his head. This child was named Polyclops (for reasons still unknown) and he was mocked for his deformities. Then one day, some beholders burst out from the underdark and everything goes to hell in a handbasket for a while but the day is eventually saved by a pair of hill giants, one with cleric levels and the other with barbarian levels. However, Polyclops goes missing during this time.

A couple hundred years later, another one eyed hill giant was born into the community...but he was not bald and was much more charismatic than Polyclops, and was not picked on nearly as much as Polyclops. The child was named Cyclops (original, I know). However, one night some extra-freaky underdark creatures come and take several of the giant children, including Cyclops, down the hole that the beholders attacked from centuries earlier. The hole is too small for the hill giants to go down, and so they hire the PCs to save their children.

After hacking through some underdark creatures with beholder grafts, the PCs find the children, who have all had beholder eyestalks grafted to their heads, sometimes in place of their actual eyes. They tell the PCs that a giant in a cloak skilled in grafts is responsible for all this, and he has taken Cyclops away for a 'special' graft. When they find Cyclops, they learn that his eye has been replaced with an eye that fires a beam that does force damage.

Then, the giant in the cloak appears and reveals himself to be Polyclops. If the PCs make a good spot check, they also realize that he has replaced his own eye with the central eye of a beholder. Polyclops then goes on a long rant about how he was picked on as a kid and how this is all his revenge. The rant ends with him removing his hood, revealing that he has grafted a complete set of beholder eyestalks to his head and shouting "Well, who's the optically superior one now?!?!?"

And then everyone rolls for initiative.

under_score
2011-04-28, 11:34 AM
Also, if you're considering classes for humanoids and such, there's definitely the Ocular Adept (from Faiths and Pantheons, I believe) to consider. Nothing like a few human pets for the beholders.

askandarion
2011-04-28, 11:42 AM
So, he turned himself into an Eyes Giant?

[EDIT]- I can't think of much more to add to that list, except for more creatures with gaze attacks like the Bodak, Nightwalker, ghosts, rasts, spirit naga, eyes of fear and flame, hags. Occular Spell I think was also in LoM.

This reminds me of a crazy idea for a quest that I have.

A long time ago, there was born into a community of hill giants an unusually intelligent child with a single eye and no hair on his head. This child was named Polyclops (for reasons still unknown) and he was mocked for his deformities. Then one day, some beholders burst out from the underdark and everything goes to hell in a handbasket for a while but the day is eventually saved by a pair of hill giants, one with cleric levels and the other with barbarian levels. However, Polyclops goes missing during this time.

A couple hundred years later, another one eyed hill giant was born into the community...but he was not bald and was much more charismatic than Polyclops, and was not picked on nearly as much as Polyclops. The child was named Cyclops (original, I know). However, one night some extra-freaky underdark creatures come and take several of the giant children, including Cyclops, down the hole that the beholders attacked from centuries earlier. The hole is too small for the hill giants to go down, and so they hire the PCs to save their children.

After hacking through some underdark creatures with beholder grafts, the PCs find the children, who have all had beholder eyestalks grafted to their heads, sometimes in place of their actual eyes. They tell the PCs that a giant in a cloak skilled in grafts is responsible for all this, and he has taken Cyclops away for a 'special' graft. When they find Cyclops, they learn that his eye has been replaced with an eye that fires a beam that does force damage.

Then, the giant in the cloak appears and reveals himself to be Polyclops. If the PCs make a good spot check, they also realize that he has replaced his own eye with the central eye of a beholder. Polyclops then goes on a long rant about how he was picked on as a kid and how this is all his revenge. The rant ends with him removing his hood, revealing that he has grafted a complete set of beholder eyestalks to his head and shouting "Well, who's the optically superior one now?!?!?"

And then everyone rolls for initiative.

Angry Bob
2011-04-28, 05:23 PM
One room of the dungeon that's submerged with an Eye of the Deep in it.

Honestly, I'm not even sure if that monster was ever updated to 3E (or 2E for that matter).

Indeed it was, LoM 138.

Ummm, there's a monster from AD&D that looked like a beholder but was a plant full of poison spores that exploded when you attacked it.

Again, it was. LoM 148.

And yes, ocular spell is hilarious.

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-28, 06:02 PM
So, he turned himself into an Eyes Giant?

[EDIT]- I can't think of much more to add to that list, except for more creatures with gaze attacks like the Bodak, Nightwalker, ghosts, rasts, spirit naga, eyes of fear and flame, hags. Occular Spell I think was also in LoM.

Yes, you could say he was quite a..........visionary.

Axinian
2011-04-28, 06:59 PM
Yes, you could say he was quite a..........visionary.
*sunglasses* YYYYEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!

Anything with gaze attacks, so some Hags will work.

Mutazoia
2011-04-28, 08:03 PM
Hrm..can't for the life of me think of the proper name but there was a monster in 2nd ed (not sure if it made it into 3.x) that was a fake beholder...eye spore I think it was, that looked like a beholder, floated around like a beholder, and blew up in a cloud of gas when you hit it, very unlike a beholder.

Zaq
2011-04-28, 08:06 PM
There's more beholderkin in Monsters of Faerun: The gouger, the deathkiss, and the eyeball.

MM3 has the Lurking Strangler, which beholders are said to keep as pets.

LoM also has the gas spore, which is a fake beholder that reproduces by exploding its spores all over you.

EDIT: I didn't see you already posted the Lurking Strangler. I need to read the OP before I post. :P

Occularon from the Fiend Folio?

Edit: Ouch, swordsage'd by the OP.

It may be in the tome of horrors.

Edit-edit: Agh, swordsage'd again. I give up. :smallsigh:

Hrm..can't for the life of me think of the proper name but there was a monster in 2nd ed (not sure if it made it into 3.x) that was a fake beholder...eye spore I think it was, that looked like a beholder, floated around like a beholder, and blew up in a cloud of gas when you hit it, very unlike a beholder.

At this point, I'd swear this is happening on purpose.

Blackjackg
2011-04-28, 08:12 PM
Way back in 2nd ed, there was a Spelljammer monster called an Argos that was basically a big blob of eyes. Did that ever get updated anyplace?

Mutazoia
2011-04-28, 08:49 PM

The universe is telling you something...I have no idea what but it's definitely trying to tell you something...

Angry Bob
2011-04-28, 09:02 PM

It's happening because I have a simple, descriptive thread title that leads people to skip reading the first post.

Lhurgyof
2011-04-28, 09:07 PM
It's happening because I have a simple, descriptive thread title that leads people to skip reading the first post.

No, I glanced over it and didn't notice the occularon, and upon noticing it I put up the gas spore... which was already taken as well.

erikun
2011-04-28, 10:03 PM
Gibbering Mouther, from the SRD/MM1, has a bunch of eyes (and everything else).

The Otyugh, also from SRD/MM1, has grasping tentacles with eyes on them.

I would be quite surprised if Cyclopses weren't statted up somewhere. The Fomorian (MM2) is a giant with an evil-eye ability.

Looking through my older Monster Manual editions, I see that the Catoblepas is a large herbivore with a gaze attack. There is a creature called an Eyewing, along with the Argos (a blob of eyes and mouths, that can hold items in their mouths). The Xorn is an earth-elemental creature with tri-symmetry (and thus, three eyes). I'm fairly sure that the Catoblepas has been reprinted in 3.5e, but don't recall where. The Xorn probably has, too.

The Eye of Gruumsh (Complete Warrior) prestige class involves putting out one of your eyes. It also involves the one-eyed god, of course.

Adrayll
2011-04-28, 10:11 PM
Hmmm.... at some point wasn't there some spore thing that looked like a beholder? It reproduced by explosion or something equally silly. Hmm... doesn't look like anyone's mentioned it yet.

Angry Bob
2011-04-28, 10:27 PM
Hmmm.... at some point wasn't there some spore thing that looked like a beholder? It reproduced by explosion or something equally silly. Hmm... doesn't look like anyone's mentioned it yet.

It's called a Gas Spore and no less than four people have mentioned it.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-28, 10:32 PM
It's called a Gas Spore and no less than four people have mentioned it.

Mentioned what? The gas spore? You should totally use that! :smallwink:

Dvandemon
2011-04-28, 10:45 PM
If you want NPC enemy encounters there's the B'er'den (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/B%27er%27den_(DnD_Race)). They get a lot of the Beholder's traits when they go up in Bloodline Feats

SamL
2011-04-29, 01:31 AM
If you're up for some homebrewing, something based on The Corinthian could be appropriately terrifying.
http://www.thekeep.org/~rpm/img/vertigo/mortalfates/corinthian.jpg

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-29, 01:51 AM
In the Draconomicon, there's a mutated Gibbering mouther. Still full of eyes/mouths, but this one can have a random breath weapon. Fun for the WHOLE family.

And I seem to recall some sort of fungal beholderkin? It's most distinguishing feature would be the blast radius when it died...

*big grin*

Blackjackg
2011-04-29, 04:45 AM
I would be quite surprised if Cyclopses weren't statted up somewhere.

They're in Deities & Demigods, which is 3.0 but pretty solid.

super dark33
2011-04-29, 04:55 AM
Eye with wings
small (that subtype mind flayers are in)
Hit die:1d8
Yadda yadda...
attack:eye laser +2 attack (1d6)

Eye minions basicly,
didnt include movment and outer stuff, cuz im too lazy and not using the 'feet' way.

hamishspence
2011-04-29, 01:08 PM
I would be quite surprised if Cyclopses weren't statted up somewhere.

They're in Deities & Demigods, which is 3.0 but pretty solid.

The 13HD one is also statted out in the 3.5 Faerun book Shining South.

askandarion
2011-04-29, 04:12 PM
Does anyone know if Argus (Hera's servant from Greek mythology, had 100 eyes) was ever statted up, like the Heca... Hecachontheries... HeckifIknowhowtospellthat... The monsters from the Epic handbook: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/abomination.htm#hecatoncheires

Hecatoncheires!

Argus would be perfect. Or... dire peacocks. Refluff rocs to have peacock plumage, maybe with gaze attacks. Not quite the same thing, but a peacock with a 100-foot wingspan would be quite the sight.