PDA

View Full Version : simple framing elements for a hack and slash campaign

Darth Stabber
2011-04-28, 12:26 AM
So I have a game that runs every other week, but some of my players want another for the off weeks. Now I spend a lot of time and effort planning the current game, and it takes most of the intervening time to generate quality content for it as far as story and encounters go, so if I do another I really don't want it to detract from the first one, so minimizing necessary planning time is a must. So I wracked my brain for ideas on how to run low planning campaigns. I did a search on the android marketplace for D&D, and I found an app called DunGen that creates random dungeons and generates encounters of appropriate difficulty automatically for each room (for D&D 4e). One player wants a hack and slash style game, and the other is not opposed, so I can run this rather simplisticly provided I can come up with the framing devices to get them from one dungeon to the next, and then it hit me.

Mac Guffin's retrieval services

The players work for a company that gets items for their rich clients by hiring adventurers to find them in old tombs and other underground complexes. All I have to do is name an item every session and run the encounters. Is this genius, or is it a common practice that I have somehow missed out on? It seems a step easier than running a module, and I don't have to buy modules.

Z3ro
2011-04-28, 09:28 AM
Well, speaking for myself, this soundly like an awesome game I would totally play. But then I enjoy the hack-and-slash type more.