PDA

View Full Version : Gold and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire Roleplaying)

TwoBitWriter
2011-04-28, 02:50 AM
All Players
Note, you have gained 1 point of Glory for House D'Gelway for the swift dealings with the bandits. Everybody also gets 5 xp (this includes the new players)

The bandit sputters against your interrogations but eventually answers your questions. "T'weren't personal, my lords. It was just a job. I don't know who hired us, that was Tevek's responsibility... and...and..." he moans, leaning over to indicate one of his fallen comrades.

"We were only told that we'd be paid a Dragon each to kill a party of highborn and to..." he gulps, hazarding a glance toward Rowena.

Dartanian Du'Gual
"What's your pleasure, milord?" The serving woman asks, her hip thrust to the left jauntily as she sets a flagon of mead on the table in front of your companion, the hedge knight Ser Tammon Garen accepts it with a nod and a wink. He glances over at you impatiently, obviously itching to tell you something of import and the serving woman is interrupting.

Mathis
2011-04-28, 10:37 AM
Lukas

With his shield slung across his back, Lukas approaches the interrogators and the speaking prisoner. He is cleaning his longsword with an oily piece of cloth, not doing much more than removing the bloodstains only to reveal the blade as old and notched, a mean deadly piece of steel if a little worn.

Standing a little way behind the group of lords and the lady he says in a commonborn acccent: "If you're done questioning, shall I give him the justice he deserves milords?"

Trulhammaren
2011-04-28, 02:34 PM
Dartanian

Looking over at the woman Dartanian gives a slight smile before speaking, "You wouldn't want to know my pleasure miss, but a warm glass of milk will do me just fine."

Waiting for the woman to leave Dartanian turns his gaze back to his companion, "Now then, what do you know?"

Inigo Montoya
2011-04-28, 09:02 PM
Baldric

"So, they were paid to attack us..." Mulling this over, he turns to face Lukas.

"Stand down my friend. We have given our word he would not be killed. Does not mean he won't be punished though..." Baldric looks at Aronas, wondering what was going through the heir's mind.

Artemis97
2011-04-28, 11:05 PM
Rowena

The lady's mind was racing. These scoundrels had been paid to attack them? And in gold. Who had the sort of money to hire so many? Clearly they wanted to make it look like an accident. Just troubles on the roads. Who would suspect it?

But why? Who would be motivated to do this? Who would be mad enough to risk attacking the D'Gelways?

"How did they even know we would be coming? We were only summoned this morning." Rowena demands, fighting to keep the stress out of her voice. "Who else knew of our journey?"

Surely the Lannisters would not incite such an attack against their most loyal vassals?

Destro_Yersul
2011-04-29, 08:03 AM
"Could have been anyone. They say that the hills have eyes, do they not? Have to be someone with gold, though." Aronas offered Rowena what he thought was a calming sort of smile, and then directed his attention back to the bandit. "You say you don't know who. That's terribly unfortunate. But let it not be said that I am a man without mercy for a defeated opponent. You will live."

"Ser Jun." Aronas adressed the knight travelling with them. "Ensure that he is stripped of any weapons he may possess. Then..." His eyes strayed to the fallen clawman, an arrow in his throat. "Take his two middle fingers, as a reminder of his failure, and the price of starting fights he shouldn't. Make it clean."

"Tell your friends," Aronas told the bandit. "Tell them what cost it is to strike at the D'Gelways. Tell them that they are lucky to live." The young lord smiled grimly, and added one final thought. "Tell them that I shall do far worse to the next fool who thinks to lay hands on the lady Rowena."

Mathis
2011-04-30, 04:39 PM
Lukas

Lukas slid his sword back into his old leather sheath with an angry motion and tucked the oil rag into a fold in his armor, "Ofcourse sir, but I say it's a cruel thing to let a man live with a crippled hand, better to give him a clean death now before he starts stealin', or worse. The cravens who sent these men will know you all lived soon enough anyway." Lukas ran a hand through his hair and went silent, awaiting orders or further conversation, whichever came first.

blackouttwo
2011-04-30, 07:52 PM
Hold.

The younger D'Gelway steps forward, and looks upon the criminal with an appraising eye. We can use him. It it clear these rabble know which end of a blade to stick in a foe, and because they are criminals, they do not go against our tradition of having skilled warriors in our army's ranks. If we were to found a force consisting of such pathetic scoundrels, we could use them as a...disposable screening force for the Clawmen in war-time. I recommend that this man be the first of their number.

Sindri knows that he is risking quite a bit of the D'Gelway reputation by recommending such a course of action, but the Clawmen were not a quick nor easy force to muster, and were limited in number. Practicality demanded such a course of action.

Destro_Yersul
2011-05-01, 11:19 PM
It was all Aronas could do to avoid gaping open-mouthed at his brother. As it was, he raised an incredulous eyebrow.

"You want to hire him after this? Out of the question. If you want a force of footmen to support the clawmen, it will be raised from honest, loyal men. I'd kill this one myself before I allowed you to recruit him."

TwoBitWriter
2011-05-02, 06:30 AM
The bandit squeals at the command to remove his fingers, and he struggles fiercely against his bindings.

After Sindri speaks his mind the bandit nods his head rapidly. "Of course, milords! Of course! Let me serve you! I know people, others who will rapidly plead fealty to you! You could have this force within the month!"

Aronas' reply to Sindri silences him for a moment, but he begins to appeal to you again to spare his fingers, seemingly forgetting that you have already spared his life.

You hear a quick, sharp sound of a blade withdrawing from its scabbard. Ser Jun strides toward the bandit, dagger in hand. He stands over the captured man, letting his dagger catch the sunlight and reflect it into his eyes. He looks over at Sindri and Aronas. "So what is the command, mi'lords?"

Dartanian
"Well, I heard..." Ser Tammon leans forward. "That a party of highborns was attacked, heading south to the Rock. I'd bet you a stag that it was the D'Gelway's. A chambermaid whispered to me that Lord Tywin had sent for them yesterday morning. Sent up one of his nephews instead of a Raven." Ser Tammon spears a small piece of roast lamb with his dagger and brings it to his mouth.

He takes a moment to finish the piece and loudly swallows. "Weren't you one of them Haelyn lads? You should know the survivors, Lady Rowena and that bastard cousin of hers..."

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-02, 11:25 PM
Baldric speaks up, his voice properly humble, as it should be when speaking to a lord and man who could smash your brain out without so much as a second thought.
"Your brother has a point milord. Spare the man, and show that the D'Gelway house has the capacity for compassion as well as ruthlessness."

Artemis97
2011-05-03, 12:47 AM
Rowena guides her horse closer to the group. "Milord, if it pleases you, administer whatever justice you see fit, but I ask that you do it quickly. Take his fingers. Take his whole hand. But please, let it be done and let us leave this place." The lady implores Aronas.

The whole situation had her nervous. Someone was trying to kill them, and here they stood in the open. What if the men who had escaped went off to find friends and return? She wanted to be at Casterly Rock as soon as possible. Safe behind the castle walls, safe from bandits on the road, and protected as guests of their liege lords the Lannisters.

Destro_Yersul
2011-05-03, 06:39 AM
"As the lady says. Ser Jun, just the fingers. He can count himself lucky to have escaped with that as the only punishment." Aronas adressed the bandit one last time.

"I'm sure you will learn to live without them quickly enough. Perhaps next time you will think twice about the sort of work you accept. I would advise you to take up something more honest than highway robbery."

With that said, the young lord went to mount his horse once again.

TwoBitWriter
2011-05-11, 05:57 PM
Ser Jun works quickly. There is a flash of light from a sweeping blade, and the blood-curdling screams of a man now minus two fingers. Jun tosses a rag toward the man. "Bind them yourself, dog." He says, spitting down at the bandit and turning away to mount his horse.

Your party slowly passes, leaving the crying man in the swirling dust of your passage, desperately wrapping the dirty rag about his hand. Soon his screams and curses fade from your hearing as you progress southward. Dusk and an incoming rainstorm both threaten from the West as you first see the walls of Lannisport. Further ahead, you see the great fortress of Casterly Rock, long the home of the Lannisters. A Fresh spray of droplets sprinkle over you, harkening of the torrent to come.

The rain begins as you reach the gates to Lanniport. A scarlet-cloaked pair of guards beckon you to halt. "Begging your pardon, milords and milady, but I must ask your business in Lannisport." He speaks deferentially, recognizing your party as highborn.

Destro_Yersul
2011-05-12, 08:40 AM
"We were summoned for. I am Aronas D'Gelway. Surely Lord Tywin would have mentioned that we'd be arriving soon?" Though truth be told, Aronas didn't expect the lord would have mentioned it to the gatewardens. He just thought that dropping the name might hasten their passage.

Trulhammaren
2011-05-13, 09:56 PM
Dartanian

"Wait, so the rumors that the entire household was put to death were false. I suppose this is good news, but I know not of any cousin to her much less any bastards. In any case, I must go seek this party out should what you say be of truth. When say you that they shall be arriving in your fair Lannisport?

Artemis97
2011-05-15, 04:27 PM
"Will you please allow us entry?" The Lady Rowena asks. "Before the rain soaks us all through?" Because that would just be the best way to end the day she's had, being cold and soaked to the bone.

Persuasion - Convince: 21 (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3026314/)

Or Status 5, whichever works best.

Mathis
2011-05-15, 05:46 PM
Lukas

Lukas had positioned himself in the cadre of well-armed men following Baldric. With his cloak pulled over his head sheltering the tuft of black curled hair from the cold, hard rain Lukas waited impatiently for the guard to let them pass. Leaning over to Baldric he mumbles "What are they waiting for? Lord Tywin himself to come down here and dump them a lump of gold as payment?"

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-18, 10:33 AM
Baldric

Baldric doesn't answer, not right away. His mind is still on the bandit. He knows if they showed him anymore mercy, he might just attack them again, but still...taking the man's fingers was something he couldn't bring himself to do. He turns to face Lukas, still somewhat lost in thought.

"What? Oh, sorry. No...I suspect they aren't privy to the same information we are. Still, you'd think they'd recognize the D'Gelways."

blackouttwo
2011-05-18, 10:15 PM
It would not do well to keep Lord Tywin waiting. He is expecting us. I must request you let us in with haste. We will discuss meaningless details later. Sindri nods in agreement with Rowena. Despite his words, they carry more of a sense of urgency than a desire to visit harm upon one who would delay them.

Persuasion - Convince: 26. (http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/view/3031110/) Rolled 6d6, and took the best five.

TwoBitWriter
2011-05-20, 05:57 AM
The guard nods. "We received word that you would be arriving, and I now recognize the D'Gelway griffon. Our Lord Tywin of House Lannister is expecting you. welcome to Lannisport, my lords and lady." He says with a proper deferential bow. He rises and makes a motion to an unseen guard in the wall and moments later the city gates groan outward, pushed by four guardsmen.

At this time Ser Tyrus Lannister rides forward. "Please follow me, we are late and my uncle will not be pleased." He takes a casual swig of wine from a skin and canters forward.

You follow Tyrus through the twisted streets of Lannisport, marveling at the city's size and obvious wealth. You hear the cries of merchants, customers haggling over coppers, and other goings-ons of the smallfolk. Occasionally you glimpse a knight or other highborn, carrying on with their business. All the while you trail behind Ser Tyrus as he leads you toward the imposing sight of Casterly Rock.

He stops before the road leading upward toward the castle and turns toward you. "I suggest you rest here a moment, there's a fine tavern nearby, accustomed to highborn. Rest your horses and yourselves. It's been a long and hard ride. I will go speak with my Uncle and come back when he is ready to receive you. It has been a privilege, the fame of the D'Gelway's martial abilities were not exaggerated."

He turns and gallops up the road, blonde hair flaring in the wind. You turn toward the tavern.

Dartanian
You happen to turn away from Ser Tammon and see a party of highborn outside of the tavern you are sitting in. You immediately recognize the D'Gelway griffin and see someone you had thought dead, the Lady Rowena Haelyn

Destro_Yersul
2011-05-20, 07:50 AM
"Now that sounds like an idea." Happy at the prospect of getting some rest, Aronas looks to the nearby tavern. "I could use something to drink, and it wouldn't do to walk in on Lord Tywin if he wasnt prepared to recieve us."

Or, for that matter, if he was angry that they were late. It never pays to bother an angry Lion.

The young lord was the first to start for the door, pushing it open and stepping inside.

Artemis97
2011-05-22, 02:10 AM
Lady Rowena climbed down from her horse and, after making certain with the stableboy that Dragon would would find a nice kennel to rest in and her horse would be cared for, she followed after Aronas. she wanted nothing more than to be out of the rain and to find a warm bed so she could sleep and forget the events of the day. Though, she doubted that wish would come true soon, if Lord Tywin summoned them today.

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-24, 10:41 PM
Baldric starts to smile as he enters the tavern, his previous worries behind him. Every tavern be it high or low class, had the same people in it. The drunk, the singer, the wench...Baldric smile ruefully at Lukas, and speaks to him in a low voice. "Remind you of old times?"

Mathis
2011-05-25, 11:59 AM
Lukas

Lukas relaxes when he finally finds himself inside of the tavern. He accompanies Baldric inside but keeps his polite distance from the rest of the nobility. "Ah yes it does. Smells like a home for the night!" He took another step inside and took a deep sniff, filling his nose with all the smells of the tavern for good and for bad. "Hey, remember that time the scraggy looking fellow with that one tooth tried to cheat you at dice?"

blackouttwo
2011-05-29, 08:24 PM
Sindri is reluctant to follow his compatriots into the tavern. He was never one for such a place. He complies, however, and follows them in, distancing himself from his fellow nobility and settling in a small, shady corner off to the side. The light wouldn't bother his eyes. He could contemplate matters regarding the attack, who would want them dead, and how to retaliate without interruption. The House D'Gelway would not stand for such reckless assaults against their holdings and assets, let alone their heir and his bride.

The lucky strike against a Clawman on the trail was a price that could not afford to be paid with the difficulty the House would have replacing him. Sindri had much to think about. He waves away any other taverngoers or staff. He has far too much to internally debate.

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-29, 08:31 PM
Baldric

"I doubt I'll ever forget that...or he'll ever forget me. Keep an eye out for wenches. I'm going to speak with the lady." He stands and stretches, walking over to Rowena.

"Milady. Are you feeling alright?"

Artemis97
2011-05-29, 09:01 PM
Rowena sighs a bit as she looks to her cousin. "It has been a very long day for me, Baldric. And I fear that it is not over yet. I will be alright, I think, once I find a good night's rest. Thank you for asking." She says, remembering her courtesies. Even if he were a bastard, he was still a Haelyn, and that counted for something. "Am I wrong to assume you are taking this all much better than I?" The lady asks, inquiring after his welfare in a roundabout fashion.

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-29, 10:30 PM
Baldric

"It's...never easy, taking a life I mean, milady. Not since that battle." He did not elaborate further, taking a seat next to his cousin, checking to make sure that Lukas was still in sight. "Still, I have at least been in a battle, an...experience you have not shared. And thank the gods you were not injured by any of the arrows."

Artemis97
2011-05-29, 11:47 PM
"I do not believe they were aiming for me, Baldric." Rowena replies a bit stiffly. Indeed, it seemed to her the bandits wanted her very much alive.

Inigo Montoya
2011-05-30, 12:12 AM
Baldric
"I meant no offense my lady. I...was simply making conversation. Perhaps I should discuss less morbid topics." The bastard clears his throat and, looking around the tavern, speaks again."Have you been in many taverns my lady?"

Artemis97
2011-06-05, 11:15 PM
"A few." Rowena admits. "I remember, when I was younger, we would always stop at this one little tavern on a hill, on the way to visit mother's family..." The lady trails off a bit, looking sad. That was before the Usurper's war, and her mother's family had ties to the Targaryens. She hadn't traveled far from her home since then. "I miss those days. I remember the innkeeper's wife made the most wonderful honeycakes. And Roland once got stuck in the apple tree out back, after I had dared him to climb it. Father left him up there, to teach him a lesson. Then, I thought it was unfair and cruel. Now I know it was an improtant lesson for him. He had to face his fears, rely on himself, and above all, accept responsibility for his actions." And in the end, responsibility for their father's actions too. Rowena lets out a small sigh. "I wonder if they serve honeycakes here." She thinks aloud, trying to cheer herself up.

Inigo Montoya
2011-06-06, 09:41 PM
Baldric nods, his mind becoming wary. He needed to direct Rowena away from the topic of her brothers, and quickly.

"They should my lady. Mummers say that the honeycakes in Lannisport are so sweet, they taste of gold." He smiles at his cousin. "I'm inclined to agree with the stories."

Artemis97
2011-06-06, 09:50 PM
"I do not think gold would be the most flavorful thing." Rowena replies, smirking. "However, I understand the intent of the metaphor. They must be very good indeed to earn that reputation."

Inigo Montoya
2011-06-06, 09:55 PM
"They are my lady." Baldric is on the verge of ordering some, when he starts to chuckle. "The mummers also say that everything in Lannisport is made of gold. And in some songs, they mean everything.

Artemis97
2011-06-06, 10:03 PM
"I am certain I do not want to know what you mean by that." The lady says emphatically.

Inigo Montoya
2011-06-06, 10:13 PM
"I didn't think you wanted any more elaboration milady. It's just one of the stories you hear along the road." He chuckles again, and orders two honeycakes.

Artemis97
2011-06-06, 10:21 PM
"You've done a lot of traveling, haven't you, Baldric?" Rowena asks, peering at him, her violet eyes half closed.