PDA

View Full Version : Mixing & Matching 3.X

Lastgrasp
2011-04-28, 06:49 AM
I"m currently running a Pathfinder Game and I have a questions for other DMs. How are you mixing and matching the various incarnations of 3.X system?

For the most part spells and magic item get little to no conversion.

Monster you just basically drop a CR, calculate CMD and CMB just as a quick conversion. Some of the base type change up like constructs and undead.

As for classes from 3.5, you doing major alterations to put them on par with a Pathfinder class? Prestige Classes? What house rules or rule of thumb is everyone using for the conversions? Are their classes from 3.5 that really don't need much conversion since there powel level is relatively balanced out?

There so much great material for 3.X system and I'm always curious to see what other people are doing to mix and match stuff.

Tyndmyr
2011-04-28, 06:51 AM
I only alter what doesn't make sense. For instance, if a class references a feat at a specific level which isn't a feat level in PF, I allow the player to take it at one of the nearest ones. Skill requirements in ranks are reduced by three to a minimum of one. That sort of thing.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-04-28, 06:58 AM
I just made changes to the skill entry requirements for classes and feats then class skills and that was pretty much it.

Lastgrasp
2011-04-28, 07:34 AM
Found a good youtube video on pathfinder conversion. Example Warlock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflsxfRKmFM&feature=feedu

Lastgrasp
2011-04-28, 03:02 PM
I don't have Tome of Battle, but everyone on the board talks about. How does the Pathfinder Melee classes stack up the ToB classes? Would ToB be worth the investment?

Lateral
2011-04-28, 03:19 PM
Tome of Battle classes, for the most part, are still stronger than PF melee classes. The gap is a bit smaller, though, and they could get along fine in a party. It's a great investment for 3.PF, just like in 3.5, although it'll need to have a few conversions. (Mostly, you'll want to change the maneuvers keyed off of Concentration to key off of another skill, but there will be a few other necessary changes.)

stainboy
2011-04-28, 04:13 PM
Found a good youtube video on pathfinder conversion. Example Warlock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RflsxfRKmFM&feature=feedu

Worth nothing that he leaves the d6 HD, which isn't a "RAW" PF conversion. Warlocks have medium BAB so they get d8 HD in Pathfinder.

I like his other tweaks though. 4+ skill ranks and an invocation every level is a good idea.

While I'm thinking about a PF warlock, I'd want to throw them a bone on Concentration checks. PF Concentration is a CL + casting stat check and a lot of warlock builds dump Charisma.

Viktyr Gehrig
2011-04-28, 06:34 PM
As for classes from 3.5, you doing major alterations to put them on par with a Pathfinder class? Prestige Classes? What house rules or rule of thumb is everyone using for the conversions? Are their classes from 3.5 that really don't need much conversion since there powel level is relatively balanced out?

With the exception of classes coming out near the very end of 3.5's dev cycle, classes in 3.5 are much more front-loaded than Pathfinder classes and offer fewer benefits for staying single-classed. They usually need more higher-level class abilities and a "capstone". In addition, some classes are just very, very weak even in comparison with standard 3.5 classes.

I've found that a good way of handling this is combining similar base classes, or combining base classes with Prestige Classes that were designed for them.