PDA

View Full Version : Help! I lost my graphics driver!

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 07:33 AM
Okay, so I just went and accidentally uninstalled my graphics driver, so my computer has reverted to really-crap-resolution mode and I'm pretty sure I won't be able to play any games whatsoever. Can't seem to find one for download that I don't have to buy. Help?

Model: Toshiba Satellite Pro A-200-2205X; OS: Windows Vista.

Haruki-kun
2011-04-28, 08:53 AM
I googled it and found this. (http://www.easydriverpro.com/lpd/drivers/drivers-en.php?sr=1&ci=400&agid=22301&ad=7812&kid=22301&gclid=CPT4lNatv6gCFc1a7AodTDUdtA) It seems to be program that scans for missing, obsolete, or corrupt drivers in toshiba computers. I don't know if it works or if it's reliable, though, I just googled it and found it.

Yora
2011-04-28, 09:05 AM
Please use thread titles that tell people what the thread is about. People are much more likely to read a thread when they know it's something they are interested in or know about.

KuReshtin
2011-04-28, 09:12 AM
If the computer is branded (like yours is) the best bet is to go to the manufacturer's home page and look for the drivers there.
I find it very hard to believe that Toshiba (or any other computer manufacturer) would charge for the download of a driver for a graphics card that's installed in their computer.

Edit: handy link (http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp) - Click on Download, then choose your model in the dro down lists to get to your product. Took me all of about 30 seconds.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 09:14 AM
Okay, that didn't work. Something about it not being able to verify the download as a "... valid Windows Installer package" or something. And I'll change the title now.

EDIT: I looked at the Toshiba site. Didn't seem to be a Vista driver there. Would a Windows 7 one work?

EDIT 2: Actually, Haruki, it's working now. Thanks.

KuReshtin
2011-04-28, 09:19 AM
If they don't have a Vista Driver, you're more likely to find an answer on the Toshiba support forums than asking here.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 09:26 AM
OH YES. I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. WHAT THE ****, MICROSOFT.

And on top of that, it doesn't seem to think that I don't have a graphics driver.

Erloas
2011-04-28, 09:31 AM
A lot of times the normal Windows update will include some drivers, like video cards, as part of the optional updates.
Its usually easiest to just figure out what video card you have, go to the website (either Intel, AMD, or Nvidia) and download the drivers from them directly.

And I don't see any possible reason to be mad at Microsoft for this. If the 3rd party program mentioned earlier is asking you to pay for the drivers, that is entirely on them and has nothing at all to do with MS, its just a 3rd party trying to make some money by people too lazy to find drivers themselves. MS doesn't have anything to do with Toshiba's web site support or their driver availabilities. And MS has nothing to do with the drivers for the video cards, thats all on the video card companies (as mentioned above).

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 09:36 AM
I wish there was a way I could do that. The Display Settings thing isn't showing anything, and I can't find it from the System menu. [Something] 512 Integrated Chipset or something, I can't remember.#

EDIT: Mobile Intel 965 Express. I'll check it out now.

EDIT 2: And the closest thing I found was a "Rapid Storage Technology" thing.

^ and V I'm sorry, I'm just angry and want my computer back. It seemes the most likely choice to rage at, seeing as they didn't put a built-in "You sure about this?" button. Either them or Realtek, and they didn't come to mind at that time. Really, who wouldn't ask you if you don't want to uninstall your freaking graphics driver?

KuReshtin
2011-04-28, 09:40 AM
I wish there was a way I could do that. The Display Settings thing isn't showing anything, and I can't find it from the System menu. [Something] 512 Integrated Chipset or something, I can't remember.

In that case, go to the Toshiba website, download the driver for Win7 and try that.
Win7 and Vista drivers are usually not that different.
If that doesn't help, I would again advise you to contact the Toshiba support for the correct driver.

Did your laptop come with Vista pre-installed? If so, you should also have a folder on your hard drive called Drivers, or similar, where most install files for the different drivers for your machine should be located.

I also agree with Erloas that this is NOT a Microsoft issue. The hardware in the machine doesn't come from Microsoft, the drivers are not provided by Microsoft, the third party software that you used to find the driver is not a Microsoft product, so why, exactly, would it be Microsoft's fault?

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 09:57 AM
That seems to be working now. Few graphical hiccups during startup, which was probably just the driver getting set up. Had me worried for a minute, though.

Thanks a lot to everyone. I don't know what I would've dome if I hadn't found a fix for this.

EDIT: I also found out that Easy Driver Pro is supposedly a certified Microsoft partner. So my rant is sort of valid.

Brother Oni
2011-04-28, 09:57 AM
Really, who wouldn't ask you if you don't want to uninstall your freaking graphics driver?

Stop running in a Power User/Administrator account and work as a plain User account - your access to change things in Control Panel is revoked and the problem goes away.

I'm not sure if the Vista version of the UAC also limits/disables Control Panel access as well, so renabling that might be of some use.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 10:00 AM
I think I am running a user account. The thing is, the "You sure about this?" button shows up before the list of programs. But the problem is solved now.

KuReshtin
2011-04-28, 10:11 AM
EDIT: I also found out that Easy Driver Pro is supposedly a certified Microsoft partner. So my rant is sort of valid.

So, using that logic, you would blame the manufacturer of your car your local 'authorised' mechanic misplaces one of your wheels when it's in the shop.

Cyborg Mage
2011-04-28, 10:15 AM
I did say "sort of", right? I did apologise, was just angry and needed to rant. Even if it didn't make sense.

Erloas
2011-04-28, 11:27 AM
http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=17407&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%20Vista%2032*&DownloadType=Drivers

If you didn't get it already, this is the newest driver from Intel's site for the graphics card on the mobile 965 chipset for Vista 32bit