PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows part 2 trailer

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-28, 08:51 AM
I'm excited. (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi137338137/)

This looks like it's going to be awesome. :smallbiggrin: Except for the 3D part, of course.
I've read HPatDH probably 8 times, but I can't recall that "Let's finish this how we started it" part. Is that in the book? Or is that just the movie's lead in to the battle with Voldemort?
It doesn't look like their battle is going to be in the Great Hall surrounded by students. At least they didn't leave out Harry's death or Snape's memories. Or "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" :smallbiggrin:
Also, way to spoil Fred's death, trailer!

If it's as good as the first part, I'll go see it in theaters twice, and buy them both when they come out as a set.

Dienekes
2011-04-28, 10:26 AM
Huh, was the last movie good? I sort of lost interest in the movies after somehow they managed to make Hans Gruber killing Philip Marlowe and tossing him off a castle dull.

Weezer
2011-04-28, 10:28 AM
I would say it was a vast improvement over the previous ones, but not especially great.

Lyra Reynolds
2011-04-28, 10:30 AM
Huh, was the last movie good? I sort of lost interest in the movies after somehow they managed to make Hans Gruber killing Philip Marlowe and tossing him off a castle dull.

TDH1 was pretty damn good. I particularly liked how they'd done the Tale of the Three Brothers, awesome animation.

I LOVE this trailer. Lots and lots of exciting bits, lots of Snape apparently, yay. And oh god looks like Remus and Tonks are going to have a death scene? I'm going to cry, I know it.

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-28, 10:34 AM
HPDHp1 was very loyal to the book, and managed to make moody teenagers wandering about England not boring. A big improvement on the 6th. And I too loved the 3 brothers animation.

tyckspoon
2011-04-28, 10:40 AM
HPDHp1 was very loyal to the book, and managed to make moody teenagers wandering about England not boring. A big improvement on the 6th. And I too loved the 3 brothers animation.

Well, not as obnoxiously boring as the book made it, anyway. Still could have cut 10-15 minutes from that part without doing real harm to the movie.

Syka
2011-04-28, 12:04 PM
I'm excited. (http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi137338137/)

This looks like it's going to be awesome. :smallbiggrin: Except for the 3D part, of course.
I've read HPatDH probably 8 times, but I can't recall that "Let's finish this how we started it" part. Is that in the book? Or is that just the movie's lead in to the battle with Voldemort?
It doesn't look like their battle is going to be in the Great Hall surrounded by students. At least they didn't leave out Harry's death or Snape's memories. Or "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!" :smallbiggrin:

If it's as good as the first part, I'll go see it in theaters twice, and buy them both when they come out as a set.

That definitely wasn't in the book; I have a feeling it will make it work better cinematically.

Yay!

Also, totally didn't catch that the first time around. D: I've read the book, so I'm prepared but still...

I knew when I read HP7 that I'd cry during the movie (seeing as I nearly cried during the book). :smallfrown: I'm glad it looks like they have ended the series well, despite the slip ups of 3/4-6.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-04-28, 07:27 PM
Oooh...
It does look pretty exciting actually considering how much I "hated"* some of the other films in the series.

It doesn't look like their battle is going to be in the Great Hall surrounded by students. At least they didn't leave out Harry's death or Snape's memories. Or "NOT MY DAUGHTER, YOU BITCH!"

I think you'll find HP's actual dialogue there (in the trailer, I don't remember it from the book either) was:
"Let's finish this how we started it, Tom.... Toogethaaah!" :smallamused:
I love the Harry Potter franchise but half the fun is in hyping up Potter's undiluted smugness. :smallbiggrin: And angstyness/egocentric behaviours. I acknowledge that if you think about it seriously he's got plenty of reason to be "angsty" but it's more fun for me to imagine it as an exaggerated parody thing. Also even with the tough life thing, he's still quite a smug kid, in the movies at the very least.
Snape's memories/ death is probably the bit I've read the most times I think, I've not actually reread book 7 all the way through, life's intervened.
As for the trailer spoiling the fact that Fred dies... I don't think a lot of people would have worked that out from what they showed if they hadn't read the book. It was way too quick, with poor lighting. Even when I paused it on that scene Fred was all mucky and at such an angle that he almost could have been Arthur and it took me a while to decide whether it was Fred or Ron who was with Molly (concluded it was Ron in the end although seemed slightly odd that George and/or Percy weren't in shot, but it was a tiny glimpse so....)
Man, I'll be annoyed if they cut Percy from the film like they did in Goblet of Fire but since they had Bill in Part 1 they'll probably put Percy back in too. I don't think we're every going to see Charlie in the films though. He never played a big enough part for them to bother. I was really happy when Percy came back in the book. Told my sister that and she said, "yeah, until Fred died a few pages afterwards, wish Rowling had killed Percy instead". With all the deaths and the "anyone can die" thing floating around she pretty much had to kill at least one Weasley and Fred/George was probably the best choice for that seeing as you have the emotional thing of the twins being seperated but you basically still have that character left - Fred and George usually came off as doubles until book 7. When I said I wouldn't have wanted Percy to die she asked me which one I'd have killed and I said Charlie probably would have been the soft option because he had the least characterisation/ time "on screen".

Saw another trailer for this somewhere which had a clip from the opening of fiend fire (sp?) scene Crabbe/Goyle, whichever one's actor was axed from the cast after he was arrested for stuff to do with illegal substances, had been switched out for Blaise Zabini (I'm assuming it was him, anyway, because I can't remember any other explicitly black Slytherins. I had been a little sceptical when they said they'd just deal with the last film with Draco only having one lacky - wasn't sure how that scene would work, in my opinion it won't be as strong as it was in the book in terms of character evolution)

Pretty sure I laughed in the cinema when the school was gathered outside the castle having been stirred by the events, among the crowd were teachers who had worked alongside Dumbledore for decades, there was a pause and then Harry Potter and Harry Potter alone rushed to Dumbledore's side weeping whilst everyone else stayed fairly stoic. :smallbiggrin:

Part 1 was the HP film I enjoyed most since Chamber of Secrets came out probably. It's definately the most faithful adaptation since that film anyway, in terms of both material included and mood. It's just a pity that there must be so much less impact for the fans who only watched the films since so much of the set up was skipped over. Wormtail's death was really played down though and should have been done a lot better. The Scrimegeour scenes weren't ideal either, not that it's Bill Nighy's fault. Highlights include the animation for the three brothers story, Neville appearing for three seconds on the Hogwarts express so that he could be a badass and the whole section where Ron, Harry and Hermione are in disguise in the ministry of magic. Weird points include a dance scene (which was weird but I wouldn't say I disliked it, I interpreted it as Harry acting big brotherish and trying to cheer Hermione up) the physical manifestation of Ron's paranoia and Harry deciding that the best thing to do when you see something of interest at the bottom of a lake through a hole in thick ice is to strip down to your undies and dive in with no protective measures and without informing the expert witch who's sleeping a few feet behind you before you dive in. Oh, and when Hagrid raced through a densely populated/chock full o' innocents area on Sirius's flying motorbike killing several muggle commuters. Whaaaat? Lowlights include any scenes with Bonnie Hunt in 'em. I didn't mind Ginny in the books especially (although I wasn't invested in their romance at all - I followed Ron and Hermione's with vague interest but could take or leave Harry and Ginny's) but her scenes in the movies maker her seem so.... very... dull... and strangely robotic. Probably could have recast her somewhere along the line? That'd be mildly harsh on the actress in that she's probably a nice person and the rest of the cast may get on with her well, but then again, acting's supposed to be a job too so... eh.
Have heard a few folk say they thought it ended on quite a downer too. :smallbiggrin:
Also thumbs down for them skipping over the Dursely farewell scenes (allegedly largely due to the fact that the actor for Dudley had lost so much weight - what? you couldn't put him in a fat suit? you don't have a special effects department? you've never heard of suspension of disbelief? Richard Griffiths honestly wasn't fat enough for the both of them? No offence meant to Mr Griffiths, he seems a fairly cool guy)

*Probably too strong a word, although I did amuse friends and family with how outraged I was at the quality of the Prisoner of Azkaban movie when it came out. It was as if the film without bothering to include the plot. My little brother only read up to book four (technically my Dad read the first four to me and my siblings, although the older two of us had already read them, but decided by the end of Goblet of Fire that things were getting too grim and stopped reading. My brother hasn't actually read any of them, as far as I know) and has seen all the films on DVD now but hasn't really been able to follow them without the context of the books - he had no idea what the deal with the Tenth Doctor and Trigger was, for example (they missed a trick when they skipped the flashback where the Doctor from Doctor Who transfigures a dead Trigger's body into a bone and buried it, that would have been pretty surreal. :smallbiggrin:) We've explained the other books to him but I'm not sure our summaries helped him fill in the blanks all that well... :smalltongue:

KillianHawkeye
2011-04-29, 08:58 AM
he had no idea what the deal with the Tenth Doctor and Trigger was, for example (they missed a trick when they skipped the flashback where the Doctor from Doctor Who transfigures a dead Trigger's body into a bone and buried it, that would have been pretty surreal. :smallbiggrin:)

His name is David Tennant btw. :smallwink:

SaintRidley
2011-04-29, 09:49 AM
Also thumbs down for them skipping over the Dursely farewell scenes (allegedly largely due to the fact that the actor for Dudley had lost so much weight - what?

The thing that annoyed me most about that was that Dudley was supposed to have slimmed down considerably anyway because of his diet and athletic involvement.

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-04-29, 11:19 AM
His name is David Tennant btw. :smallwink:

...Man, I thought their names were Barty Crouch.
And his name wasn't David Tennant: it was Roger Lloyd Pack. :smallwink:

Seriously though, Goblet of Fire came out in the summer of 2005, after Christopher Eccleston's doctor had regenerated into David Tennant's but before we'd seen the Christmas special or Tennant's first series. So I was watching the fourth film pretty closely trying to assess the guy's acting talent and thinking of him as Doctor 10 and I was sorely disappointed. The silly tongue tick did translate pretty nicely in the Lego HP game though (where they gave Crouch junior black hair for some unfathomable reason but corrected some of the film's changes to match more closely to the books e.g: Padma Patil was a Ravenclaw in the game but a Griffindor in the films) and I do think David Tennant's a nice guy, just wasn't too impressed with his performances in Who or HP at least not compared to the doc who preceeded him or gauging his HP character by the one from the book (which isn't really fair on him as he had a much smaller part and was probably directed to do certain stuff).

The thing that annoyed me most about that was that Dudley was supposed to have slimmed down considerably anyway because of his diet and athletic involvement.

Good point well made. Now it annoys me slightly more: there were just so many ways they could have worked around it.

Also, coming back to the bit where I said it might have been better if they'd recast Ginny two points:
1) They went ahead and did it with Dumbledore (admittedly they kind of had to in that case) and they also recast both Bill and Griphook for the Deathly Hallows films (Bill appeared in photograph form in Prisoner of Azkaban I didn't even notice this as the photo was shown so briefly and I always forgot to count the number of Weasleys in it, and Griphook was portrayed by Mini-Me Verne Troyer in the first film and by Wicket Prof Flitwick Warrwick Davies in Deathly Hallows. I imagine Harry's parents as adults in photos have been played by multiple actors too but haven't looked it up.
2)The point that audiences wouldn't have recognised a new actress as Ginny doesn't hold much water due to both the point above and the fact that my l'il bro and others have repeatedly asked me if they recast Neville and Malfoy in later films because they look so different to how they did when they were younger... :smallbiggrin:

Of course it's somewhat pointless to dwell on it and Ginny probably would have been irritating to watch regardless, knowing where she ends up in the epiologue. I'd take comfort in the fact that Rowling decided she became a successful professional quidditch player, thus realising a long held ambition, but that's kind of dampened by the fact that this isn't actually mentioned in the book itself...
I'm mildly surprised Rowling didn't give them a third son called Tom Peter or something... :smallsigh:

Lord Loss
2011-04-29, 07:26 PM
That trailer was ridiculously awesome. I am ridiculously excited.

As to the other movies, I agree that the previous one was the best since the original two. It perfectly captured the dark mood of the novels without abandoning that sense of childlike freedom and fantasy that is central to the series, the montage type thing of the trio just walking was one of the most powerful parts of the series and the entire thing, unlike all the others, actually made me realize that the wizards were at war, perhaps more so than the novels did.

However, the entire movie was in a sense a setup for Part II, I can only hope that the second part is as good as the promising Part I ; so far, so good (the trailer is really promising).

Morph Bark
2011-04-29, 07:53 PM
Man, this trailer got me all hyped up, and I only saw the 7th movie just this weekend!

Ekalavya
2011-04-29, 08:05 PM
When I think about how much I hate the Harry Potter movies, and how the last book is by far my least favorite of them all....I find it really intriguing that this is the first time I'm expecting to be satisfied by one.

I was really, really disappointed by the whole film series. I thought it could have used one, strong director (and when I hear Terry Gilliam was almost to direct the first one....I weep.)

Felix Fiveblade
2011-04-29, 08:24 PM
I'm waiting until both parts of book seven are out. It just feels... wrong to me to NOT finish them in under a week, hardly capable of staying awake in school because I could not stop reading.

I don't know how to do spoilers, so I'll leave it vague.

How are they going to do the teary train reunion scene in the movie?

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-30, 08:46 AM
I'm waiting until both parts of book seven are out. It just feels... wrong to me to NOT finish them in under a week, hardly capable of staying awake in school because I could not stop reading.

I don't know how to do spoilers, so I'll leave it vague.

How are they going to do the teary train reunion scene in the movie?

To do spoilers, content
You'll get content
Or you could just use the spoiler button, the rightmost button on the toolbar.

As for the train reunion scene, do you mean the epilogue? I'm not sure that's a spoiler, since the entire internet has been complaining about it since the book came out. But I suppose there are people who've avoided everything for the movies.
They're aging the actors with CGI and making Ron look like a child molester instead of leaving the entire epilogue out like they should.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lguzfdSbA51qfxe22o1_500.pngYou're supposed to be a ministry official, Ron! Cut your damn hair!
I'm not looking forward to that part of the movie. I didn't mind the epilogue as much as some, but it didn't improve the book at all and should have been left out entirely.

Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll
2011-04-30, 08:59 AM
I saw this. My mind asploded, though the scene where Voldemort and Harry jump of the wall seems kinda silly. But overall, I'm exciiiited!

Eleanor_Rigby
2011-04-30, 09:18 AM
As for the train reunion scene, do you mean the epilogue? I'm not sure that's a spoiler, since the entire internet has been complaining about it since the book came out. But I suppose there are people who've avoided everything for the movies.
They're aging the actors with CGI and making Ron look like a child molester instead of leaving the entire epilogue out like they should.
http://27.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lguzfdSbA51qfxe22o1_500.pngYou're supposed to be a ministry official, Ron! Cut your damn hair!
I'm not looking forward to that part of the movie. I didn't mind the epilogue as much as some, but it didn't improve the book at all and should have been left out entirely.

If it's not the epilogue Felix is referring to could it be when Harry, Ron and Hermione meet up with Neville and find out what Hogwarts was like when they were on the run? That bit was fairly emotional but I can't remember where it took place, I'm thinking the chances are fairly high it wasn't on the train. They didn't get to that bit either way. The only bit they did in Part 1 with the Hogwarts Express was a couple of minutes or less when the death eaters borded it while it was taking the kids to school for the new term 'cause they were looking for Hazza and Neville came up to them and told 'em to bog off... But that wasn't a reunion.

As for the epiologue:
Yeeeah... I saw those photos a while back and have to agree with you on Ron. They all look pretty dang creepy though. Of the ones you showed Ron and Draco probably look the worst although Hermione has a weird skin tone and looks oddly out of proportion for some reason. Harry apparently decided later down the line that it was time for good ol' laser eye surgery or the magical equivalent. :smallbiggrin:
Although if one wanted to overthink the issue it could be argued that his eyes just readjusted - I can't remember if the books stated if he was long or short sighted, this sort of scenario could occur for a few years quite naturally...

As for the length of Ron's hair... Dumbledore was a well respected authority figure and his hair was down to his waist. Of course he was also awesome enough to get away with a lot of eccentricities and considerably more stylish than Ronald so... I highly doubt poor old Ron would ever come close to rivalling the big D in terms of reputation of competence. Somewhat closer to home there's Bill who worked in a bank and had very long hair, but again, he wasn't described as being as unkempt as Hobo-Pervert-Future-Ron. Even after the mauling. I'm guessing your issue's more with the style than the length.
Ron's future job title is auror though, I think, and other aurors in the series have included Mad Eye Moody and Nymphadora Tonks... something tells me looking smart isn't a necessity for the job. Although Shacklebolt shows it's not an impossibility either. Room for improvement there, Wonwon. :smallwink:
Maybe they look less horrifying when they're moving?

I'd have been tempted to abort the epilogue too although I take solace in the fact that it's an epilogue and so when the dvd comes out we can skip over it to the credits. Not that there's an easy way to do that on our DVD player without having to endure part of the bit I want to skip or miss part of the credits... (I'm one of those people who feels an obligation to at least let the credits play and be present in the vicinity when they're playing)

Edited to Add:

I saw this. My mind asploded, though the scene where Voldemort and Harry jump of the wall seems kinda silly. But overall, I'm exciiiited!

Harry's line in that bit wouldn't be out of place in a Eurovision song. :smallbiggrin:
and thus the part you describe could never be described as "silly". Hoo no.

Mauve Shirt
2011-04-30, 09:36 AM
If it's not the epilogue Felix is referring to could it be when Harry, Ron and Hermione meet up with Neville and find out what Hogwarts was like when they were on the run? That bit was fairly emotional but I can't remember where it took place, I'm thinking the chances are fairly high it wasn't on the train. They didn't get to that bit either way. The only bit they did in Part 1 with the Hogwarts Express was a couple of minutes or less when the death eaters borded it while it was taking the kids to school for the new term 'cause they were looking for Hazza and Neville came up to them and told 'em to bog off... But that wasn't a reunion.
I thought that might be what he meant, but IIRC, the Neville reunion scene takes place above Aberforth's place/the Room of Requirement. There's a tunnel between the two.

Yeah, it's probably the style that bothers me. Maybe one of Ron's previous missions as an auror was among dark-magic-using Hobo-Perverts and it's just a disguise. :smalltongue: