PDA

View Full Version : Building a Thug to go Assassin

NineThePuma
2011-04-28, 11:04 AM
Just checking with the forum, but I'm building a Sneak Attack Fighter/Thug combo, and is there anything in particular I should be worried about?

Edit: Also, going into assassin at some point (DM is allowing me to put Move Silently/Hide as class skills for a feat so I can qualify 'on time'); any recommendations?

Ozymandias
2011-04-28, 11:33 AM
You might want to take a level of rogue and grab the penetrating strike ACF. If you take it at first you get a bunch of extra skill points, too. You could also get Able Learner for, e.g. UMD.

Of course then you could just take three more levels of rogue, daring outlaw, and Swash X and probably end up with a more effective character. But it's up to you, and it definitely depends on the concept.

NineThePuma
2011-04-28, 11:36 AM
I'm limited to SRD material.

Ozymandias
2011-04-28, 11:43 AM
Depending on what your character wants to be, you could take two levels of feat rogue for skillpoints, two feats, and evasion at a BAB and sneak attack hit.

Also, Sneak Attack Fighter/Feat Rogue would be hilarious.

NineThePuma
2011-04-28, 11:45 AM
I tend to gestalt those two. It's more funny.

Mutazoia
2011-04-28, 08:05 PM
Just be sure to wear lots of gold necklaces, and your pants half way down. Turn your helm sideways and use words like "YO" every three seconds...

NineThePuma
2011-04-28, 10:17 PM
Just be sure to wear lots of gold necklaces, and your pants half way down. Turn your helm sideways and use words like "YO" every three seconds...

... That was so useless that I wanna cry.

Come on, please, this is a serious mechanical question...

*updates the OP with additional information*

Greenish
2011-04-28, 10:22 PM
SA thug is really just a rogue who has given up on most of it's skills and class features for full BAB. Might make an okay NPC, but seems like terribly devoid of anything interesting as an actual PC.

What do you want from your character?

NineThePuma
2011-04-28, 10:26 PM
To kill stuff. I need survivability and damage output in core without resorting to a charger. Because if I resort to a charger, we won't run into easy to counter foes, we'll run into stuff with huge DR and Regen, plus huge reach.

To clarify, our DM is a 1st Ed DM who has decided to run a 3.5 campaign, and is looking to kill players.

Greenish
2011-04-28, 10:30 PM
To kill stuff. I need survivability and damage output in core without resorting to a charger. Because if I resort to a charger, we won't run into easy to counter foes, we'll run into stuff with huge DR and Regen, plus huge reach.

To clarify, our DM is a 1st Ed DM who has decided to run a 3.5 campaign, and is looking to kill players.And you want to play a featless, lightly armoured fighter? :smallamused:

Ravens_cry
2011-04-28, 10:39 PM
Well, if the DM wants to kill players, I would leave the country or get a restraining order.:smalleek:
But in all seriousness, I've always wanted to try this variant for a nice, simple swashbuckler type build. Nothing spectacular, but fun looking.

avr
2011-04-28, 10:52 PM
Depends a bit on what level you start at, but would you consider something like Barbarian 1/Rogue 4/Assassin? Just as much damage, near as many hit points, and some actual skills and class features. Evasion or Fast Movement might save your life some day.

If you're set on your sneak attack fighter I guess you're getting into TWF?

Curmudgeon
2011-04-28, 10:52 PM
You might want to take a level of rogue and grab the penetrating strike ACF.
Penetrating Strike doesn't become available until Rogue level 3 anyway.

Ozymandias
2011-04-28, 11:01 PM
Penetrating Strike doesn't become available until Rogue level 3 anyway.

Right, thought they traded trapfinding instead of trapsense.

The opportunity cost for the second two levels of would just be a couple of hps anyway though (and you'd get evasion).

Bang!
2011-04-28, 11:23 PM
I like Thug as a lead-in to Scarlet Corsair + Zhentarim Fighter.

But with just the SRD to work with, it's a bit less than ideal.

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-28, 11:25 PM
Right, thought they traded trapfinding instead of trapsense.

The opportunity cost for the second two levels of would just be a couple of hps anyway though (and you'd get evasion).

Don't forget losing a point of BAB... and gaining a CRAPLOAD of skills.

NineThePuma
2011-04-29, 12:43 AM
I start at level 1. We're pretty lightly equipped, and I don't need to be a crazy awesome tank.

I'm looking at my 'Hide & Move Silently as class skills' feat and Weapon Finesse at first level, then at 3rd I'll see if I can pick up Two Weapon Fighting. Obviously, from then on I'm eating TWF feats and probably nabbing Weapon Focus, and maybe Greater Weapon Focus later. Plus Blind Fight & Improved Initiative.

Axinian
2011-04-29, 01:54 AM

To clarify, our DM is a 1st Ed DM who has decided to run a 3.5 campaign, and is looking to kill players.

Surprised the Horizon Tripper hasn't been mentioned yet (has it?)

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 02:29 AM
Surprised the Horizon Tripper hasn't been mentioned yet (has it?)

Nope. Here it is. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80415)

Hope he doesn't realize how utterly helpless low level/insufficiently geared characters are against incorporeals.

NineThePuma
2011-04-29, 08:40 AM
Played a horizon tripper once already. I already got told that if I play a tripping build I'm not likely to see anything but giants and dwarves.

Mutazoia
2011-04-29, 08:43 AM
... That was so useless that I wanna cry.

Come on, please, this is a serious mechanical question...

*updates the OP with additional information*

Into every subject a little humor must fall...

Seriously though, just using core I would go rogue for a few levels to build up some nice sneak attack, then switch to cleric (death domain and Trickery domain) to get all the reverse healing spells and Slay Living then transition into Arcane Archer so you can imbue arrow with slay living and reach out and touch some one. But then I've never been a fan of the Avenging Executioner/Deepwood Sniper sort of cheese.