PDA

View Full Version : How big does a construct have to be for this?

Sims
2011-04-28, 07:15 PM
Got into more Military Construct craftting this campaign, then reached a bit of a snag.

How big does a Humanoid Golem have to be for 4 people to pilot it from the inside?

Gargantuan? Colossal? Or Colossal+?

Aethir
2011-04-28, 07:29 PM
I would lean Gargantuan, mostly because of something I recall from a long while back.

Something about a Warforged being able to get a chest cavity a kobold (treated as Tiny per the RotD web enhancement for squeezing) could fit inside and heal.

As such, you'd need Huge for a Medium, or Gargantuan for a Large [equivalent space to 4 mediums] to fit inside.

awa
2011-04-28, 10:05 PM
it depends on how much internal stuff their is. if its hollow huge (the size of an elephant) should be big enough although it might be a very fit fit.

edit actually im kinda dumb i just realized that a car is smaller than an elephant and you can fit 4 people in that. So huge should be plenty big enough even if its not completely hollow. Large is still to small for 4 people.

edit 2.0
a Tendriculos can hold 8 medium creatures and its size huge

edit 3.0 i missed the humanoid bit unless its going to be a dwarf or something else short and thick im going to have to say gargantuan as well

flabort
2011-04-28, 10:35 PM
Humans and other med' 'oids only take up 5'x5', because that's the space they need to maneuver for combat. Technically, you could fit 6 or 7 humans in a 5'x5' space, although they'd be pretty uncomfortable. I'd say (as long as it's somewhat spacious) that a Large creature would be large enough to fit four medium humanoids comfortably, BUT!

You want a golem of roughly humanoid shape. While 4 people could comfortably fit in a car-shaped, or otherwise cubic structure, with only ~35% taken up by the mechanics. The legs would make it larger, the chest would need more clockwork and other things, there'd be arms swinging about, and it would need a larger combat space than it takes up (the same way a human needs a 5'x5' space, but doesn't take it all up). Therefore, I'd say it's combat space would be roughly four times the size (20'x20' instead of 10'x10') that a large creature needs. Fortunately, that's the Huge size category.

In other words, I think the Huge size would fit perfectly.

awa
2011-04-29, 01:56 PM
but a car is substantialy bigger than a horse so i would probaly put a car on the small end of size huge not as size large

Sims
2011-04-29, 02:01 PM
but a car is substantialy bigger than a horse so i would probaly put a car on the small end of size huge not as size large

I think itd be closer to the high end of Large but oh well XD. I think I'm going to make this construct Gargantuan just to be safe. colossal is to big.

Goober4473
2011-04-29, 02:22 PM
What you need to do though is make 4 smaller constructs that each humanoid can pilot, and then make them combine into one larger one...

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-29, 02:33 PM
What you need to do though is make 4 smaller constructs that each humanoid can pilot, and then make them combine into one larger one...

I suspected that the thread going this way would truly be inevitable in the end.
http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x42/Stabby_2_Dope/PR%20Sentai%20Toku%20Stuff/Zords.jpg

grarrrg
2011-04-29, 07:00 PM
I suspected that the thread going this way would truly be inevitable in the end.

BAH! I laugh at your puny "5 mechs make 1 big mech" and give you:

A HUMAN IN A MECH, ON A MECH, THAT PILOTS A MECH THAT PILOTS A MECH THAT PILOTS A MECH THE SIZE OF A GALAXY!!
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090221091958/gurennlagann/images/thumb/5/5f/TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg/304px-TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg

OrganicGolem
2011-04-29, 07:29 PM

A HUMAN IN A MECH, ON A MECH, THAT PILOTS A MECH THAT PILOTS A MECH THAT PILOTS A MECH THE SIZE OF A GALAXY!!
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090221091958/gurennlagann/images/thumb/5/5f/TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg/304px-TengenToppaGurren-LagannMECH.jpg

what's that from?

MarkusWolfe
2011-04-29, 07:43 PM

Please, we're talking about things we can let a couple of PCs handle without screwing over the multiverse. Besides, my mech you pilot as a team, letting you get all the advantages of teamwork.

Tokiko Mima
2011-04-29, 07:51 PM
what's that from?

That would be Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann from the Gurren Lagann (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gurren_Lagann) anime. It is a show well worth watching if you like over the top that then breaks through that top and goes over that. Ad infinum.

grarrrg
2011-04-29, 09:48 PM
Please, we're talking about things we can let a couple of PCs handle without screwing over the multiverse. Besides, my mech you pilot as a team, letting you get all the advantages of teamwork.

I'll grant you the "without screwing over the multiverse" part.
But the Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has a LOT of pilots, it's all about teamwork. (each face in that picture represents a pilot, roughly a dozen in all)

The lesser combining forms of Gurren Lagann only have 2 pilots, of which only 1 is really needed.