PDA

View Full Version : GATTAI! (3.5) (Template) (WIP)

The-Mage-King
2011-04-28, 10:35 PM
Host Machine
The Host Machine is a template that can be added to any Construct with an Intelligence score or the Gunmen (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=5829984#post5829984) subtype (referred to hereafter as the base creature). By assimilating other, usually smaller, Constructs, its power increases. Of course, it cannot assimilate just any Construct- those that are used to make it stronger must have the Augmenting Machine template for it to work.

Size and Type: The base creature's size and type do not change as a result of adding this template. However, if the Host Machine assimilates Augmenting Machines of differing sizes, its size may increase as a result

Hit Dice and Hit Points: A Host Machine gains temporary hit points equal to half the current hit points of any Augmenting Machines that it assimilates.

These temporary hit points are lost if the Host Machine de-assimilates the Augmenting Machine granting them.

Armor Class: The Host Machine gains a +2 deflection bonus to AC. If it already has a deflection bonus to AC, that is instead increased by 2.

Attacks: While it has assimilated an Augmenting Machine, a Host Machine gains all of that creature's attacks gained from natural weapons, but not from manufactured ones.

Special Attacks: While it has assimilated an Augmenting Machine, a Host Machine gains all of that creature's special attacks that do not rely on a special anatomy or similar feature.

Special Qualities:
Assimilate Augmenting Machine (Su): A Host Machine's power relies on having at least one Augmenting Machine available to assimilate. By taking a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity, a Host Machine can add the mass and power of an Augmenting Machine to its own. Its weight increases by the amount of the Augmenting Machine being assimilated, and each of its physical ability scores temporarily increase by the Augmenting Machine's modifier for that ability*. Should the Host Machine assimilate an Augmenting Machine of one or more size categories larger than it, the Host Machine does not gain this benefit, but rather adds its physical ability modifiers to the Augmenting Machine's scores.

In addition, the Host Machine gains temporary hit points equal to half the current hit points of the Augmenting Machine assimilated. These temporary hit points are lost first, and are effectively the hit points of the merger- losing them all causes the Augmenting Machine to de-assimilate, and be at 0 hit points. An Augmenting Machine cannot be repaired while assimilated.

Furthermore, a Host Machine's size category may change due to assimilating Augmenting Machines- if it assimilates two of one size category smaller or one of the same size, its size category increases by one, and if it assimilates a larger one, it increases to the larger size category.

If the Augmenting Machine is separated from the Host Machine, these changes are reversed, leaving the Host Machine at its normal ability scores, size, and so on. De-assimilation is a full round action that provokes attacks of opportunity.

Abilities: Same as base creature.

__________________________________________________ _____
*This specific wording is because I know someone will want to make a Warforged Titan with this template. So... Yeah.

__________________________________________________ ______

Augmenting Machine is in progress. I figured that I'd put this up so that I'd have motivation to finish the second template sooner. I should be done with that within a week.

Deviston
2011-04-29, 01:44 PM
Can't comment too much on it as it seams to be aimed at a specific campaign however, I can say that it seems way too powerful. If these other machines are readily available all the time, then this template can become EXTREMELY strong EXTREMELY fast and it seems there is no way to stop it. Now, if the assimilated machines (the symboints if you will) are rare and only 4-5 will pop up over the campaign, or they only last like, rounds equal to 1/2 their HD then sure, I see no problem with it. I also don't see where the assimilated machine gets a chance to stop this action. Will save? Reflex? an opposed check?

The-Mage-King
2011-04-29, 01:50 PM
Hm... Those are some points I forgot about while making this...

Do you think an opposed charisma check would be acceptable for the "stop combining" thing?

golentan
2011-04-29, 01:51 PM
Can't comment too much on it as it seams to be aimed at a specific campaign however, I can say that it seems way too powerful. If these other machines are readily available all the time, then this template can become EXTREMELY strong EXTREMELY fast and it seems there is no way to stop it. Now, if the assimilated machines (the symboints if you will) are rare and only 4-5 will pop up over the campaign, or they only last like, rounds equal to 1/2 their HD then sure, I see no problem with it. I also don't see where the assimilated machine gets a chance to stop this action. Will save? Reflex? an opposed check?

There's no way that isn't entirely by design given what it's based on.

Looks interesting, though I'll have to read through in more detail later.

The-Mage-King
2011-04-30, 02:36 PM
Here's a preliminary draft of the Augmenting Machine template. Any thoughts an suggestions?

Augmenting Machine
The Augmenting Machine is a template that can be added to any Construct (referred to hereafter as the base creature). By being assimilated by other, usually larger, Constructs, its power is added to the host's. Of course, it cannot be assimilated by just any Construct- those that use it to power themselves must have the Host Machine template in order to benefit from them.

Size and Type: The base creature's size and type do not change as a result of gaining this template.

Special Qualities: In addition to the special qualities it originally had, an Augmenting Machine gains the following.

Resist Assimilation (Su): If an Augmenting Machine is the target of a Host Machine, and has a charisma score, it may resist the Assimilate Augmenting Machine special quality that is possessed by that Host Machine.
Make an opposed Charisma check against the Host Machine. If the Augmenting Machine wins, it resists the assimilation, and cannot be targeted by that same Host Machine's ability for one minute.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-01, 10:52 PM
Any feedback on the Augmenting machine rough draft?

Morph Bark
2011-05-02, 06:00 AM
If you make it a straight-up Charisma check, Constructs will WANT to be mindless so that they have greater chance of resisting. Remember that Constructs usually have bad Charisma.

Making it a Will save instead would be just as fitting, though take to mind Constructs usually have average Wisdom and a bad Will save.

The-Mage-King
2011-05-03, 12:35 AM
If you make it a straight-up Charisma check, Constructs will WANT to be mindless so that they have greater chance of resisting. Remember that Constructs usually have bad Charisma.

Making it a Will save instead would be just as fitting, though take to mind Constructs usually have average Wisdom and a bad Will save.

Hm... Got it. I think the pure Cha check would be best. That would best represent how BURNING BLOOD! can help someone take over a mech.

Morph Bark
2011-05-03, 02:45 AM
Hm... Got it. I think the pure Cha check would be best. That would best represent how BURNING BLOOD! can help someone take over a mech.

You can always make it a Cha check with a bonus equal to their HD or half their HD, which ensures that higher-HD constructs (with higher CR) would be harder to take over.