PDA

View Full Version : Steam Punk Gnomes

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 01:20 AM
In my setting the gnomes are steam punks. But I can't think of any ideas for steam punk devices. And I know there are thousands of people with ideas so why not put some here.

Also just steam punk not steam punk + magic devices.

Bhaakon
2011-04-29, 04:09 AM
Gunpowder or no? I'm assuming no, because variations on "gun" are easy to list.

Compound bows/crossbows (particularly repeating compound crossbows, or examples that can be quickly folded up/disassembled and concealed)
Ballistic knives (normal dagger or knife, but with a spring in the hilt that can launch the blade a short distance).
Steam-powered centrifugal "machine gun" (Mythbusters ftw)
Steam-powered mortar (first used in WW2)
Flame throwers of various sizes (could throw other liquids as well, used since at least the Byzantine Empire)
Spring-loaded "blow" gun/injector (famously used by Russian counter-intelligence to surreptitiously poison a defector)

And that just a short list of things that actually existed (though most are very modern). It depends on if you really want to go crazy with it (like, say, the stadium-sized mechanical spider from Wild Wild West) or keep it subtle (Like the Thief games, or the recent Sherlock Holmes film).

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 04:40 AM
No gun powder. I was mainly thinking things other than weapons but I could easily work some of them in:
Compacting Crossbows: These gnomes exaggerate their inventions so I think it would be difficult for them to compact a device.
Balistic Knives: This would work.
Machine Gun: What would it fire?
Mortar: They would definitely design one of these (They like explosions)).
Flamethrower: Sounds good.
Blowgun: These Gnomes don't really use darts or poison.

I want the world to be relatively realistic so a Giant Tarantula wouldn't fit. I haven't seen the new Sherlock Homes. And because of the realistic part I don't think the Thief Eye fits (And the other gadgets are more Magic then Steampunk).

boomwolf
2011-04-29, 04:50 AM
Machine gun can fire crossbow bolts...

As for mortar, it wont work. without gunpowder it simply wont explode, reducing the effect to direct impact only, with a weapon that cannot be accurately aimed.

As for "civilian" steam-powered devices, you can have steam powered trains/cars (these things work in RL, with magic rules it should be easy), elevators, factories. every mechanical device powered by electricity in the modern world can have a steam-powered variation. (digital devices however cannot. so no TV for gnomes.)

You can even have a "Steam Tank" (armored steam-powered vehicle with a mounted steam-powered "machine gun", probably a really big one. steam powered getteling balistra anyone?)

Mayhem
2011-04-29, 04:53 AM
There's been quite a few steam-powered robots built historically.. DaVinci wrote plans for one, some guy around 10AD built a few, a middle eastern guy made programmable robots who could play music during the high middle ages, another guy built a programmable robot manservant to pull carriages etc sometime around the 1800s. The main reason steam power never took off in our world is because no one cared enough despite having had the technology.

Clockwork items will definately work. Self-loading repeater crossbows, music machines, calculators, pumps, even small clockwork self-propelling vehicles( like a little tricycle) are all possible with steam technology without even using steam.

And of course you already know of my suggessions of steamboats and other vehicles heh.

Edit: You also have robot "puppet" shows and other entertainment.

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 05:13 AM
Yes I do know about your steamboat idea for my campaign (Note: Go to Equipment and then to Vehicles you'll see Steam Galley (And Steam Cart) and I plan on adding more of your ideas to the world of Keran).

Mortar: Your right I forgot.
Robots: I didn't know about those robots. I now plan to add Gnomish Golems to the Bestiary (which will be steam powered robots not made of gnomes).
Clockwork: I should've also mentioned that Clockpunk ideas is also welcome.
Aquitean Cycle: Sounds like a great idea. Will add.
Crossbow: I renamed the Repeating Crossbow to Gnomish Crossbow and gave it its own page so I think I can add the self-loading part in (Will increase the cost though).
Music Devices: The Aquitean Caravans could sell these. Will add.
Robot that plays music: How could I forget? My dad wrote a short story about one of these (And it was published) a few years ago.

Lizard Lord
2011-04-29, 05:22 AM
The DragonMech Campaign Setting has all sorts of Steam Punk devices in it, including steam powered rifles.

Bhaakon
2011-04-29, 05:23 AM
As for mortar, it wont work. without gunpowder it simply wont explode, reducing the effect to direct impact only, with a weapon that cannot be accurately aimed.

Not that I'm an expert on steam-powered mortars, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't fire hollow shells with flammable/acidic/etc substances inside, or some kind of grapeshot or caltrops.

Machine Gun: What would it fire?

The one on mythbusters shot golf-ball sized ball bearings, something a respectable steam punk society should be able to produce. Lead balls would also work (lead was used in sling bullets since ancient times, so it's not unlikely, and they'd probably be easier and cheaper to make).

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 05:32 AM
Never heard of Dragonmech.
Lead shots? Hm ... Maybe. I'll put it in Siege Equipment as It would be way to powerful as a normal weapon. Fill a mortar with steam or Alchemists Fire (Note: Alchemy in my world has nothing to do with magic).

Veklim
2011-04-29, 08:09 AM
Never heard of Dragonmech.
Lead shots? Hm ... Maybe. I'll put it in Siege Equipment as It would be way to powerful as a normal weapon. Fill a mortar with steam or Alchemists Fire (Note: Alchemy in my world has nothing to do with magic).

Same here fella, it's meant to be a science imo. However, if that's the case then a thunderstone and some alchemist's fire make an effective mortar, especially if you follow siege weapon logic and increase radius of effect for the fire to 10ft. Also, if you have steam then you have pressurised containers. You don't need explosive substances to have explosive force weapons. A flamethrower would just be a fire extinguisher filled with alchemist's fire. Don't forget pressure, it's how steam works after all.

Blynkibrax
2011-04-29, 01:59 PM
Do your gnomes have their own nation? Is it landlocked or does it have an ocean? If it does, submarines are an obvious choice. Great, vast nautiloids, powered by bound water elementals. Which then asks the question, what about torpedoes? In our world, the Arabs created the world's first torpedo, which was basically a float, loaded with explosives, with a rocket strapped to it. The gnomes could have something similar.

The steel kraken from the Eberron book Five Nations might also make wonderful gnome ocean defenses.

If the nation is landlocked, how about something for your land-based military? Steam-powered tanks with cannons and ballistae strapped to them? Great lumbering golems? Warforged troopers?

Mutazoia
2011-04-29, 02:24 PM
Great...just when I though all the Tinker Gnomes (http://www.coryj.net/CoreRule/corerule.php?page=DD04845.htm) died with Dragonlance...

Actually you don't need gunpowder for a mortar. They can be fired with compressed air and there are enough chemical alternatives to gunpowder for detonation. Magnesium and water come to mind right off the top of my head. Or oil (or Greek Fire, etc.) and a simple impact detonator (http://science.howstuffworks.com/grenade3.htm) which can be as simple as a two pieces of metal forced together on impact to make a spark.

BiblioRook
2011-04-29, 02:40 PM
If you are looking to keep magic out of it but still want 'robots', I'm pretty sure there are plenty of 'automatons' stated out that would be closer to what you seem to want other then rehashed golems

For a more 'steampunk' look you can even try making them clunkier or cruder. In fact, if the ones you find are to high of CR that would be a convenient way of scaling them down a bit.

Talking about clunky and crude robots; Steampunk powerarmor.
"Who's calling who 'shorty' now?" :smallbiggrin:

Bhaakon
2011-04-29, 04:37 PM
There's also lots of opportunity for lots of minor devices: spring-loaded sheaths that cut drawing times, spring-loaded stilts that increase speed and jumping distance (they actually make these, though probably not a good idea to fight in them), cross-bow grappling hooks, minor mechanical tools (like a lock-pick gun) that could add big bonuses to certain skills (not sure which edition your using), gyroscopic stabilizers to make it easier to fire crossbows while moving.

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 06:23 PM
Mortar: Pressurized and filled with steam once broken the pressure will equalize and the steam will burst out. (Note: This is a Heavily dumbed down version and just off the top of my head)
Landlocked: About 75% of Gnomes live on a Mechanical Island kept afloat by steam generators and such. 15% live in caravans which travel across the world selling Gnomish Devices. And the last 10% live in one of the Mountain Ranges with Durzites and Dwarves.
Submarines: Yes.
Bound Elementals: No. Firstly Gnomes in this setting rarely become mages and don't trust it as much as science. And if any people were binding elementals it would be the Durzites.
Steel Kraken: How "Realistically" would this work?
Golems & Warforged: The Gnomes don't really use magic (Durzites on the other hand use Golems as Slaves for nearly every mundane task).
Automatons: These are just-like golems except have more defined uses and are animated by Shadow Stuff.
Steam powered armor: That is amazingly crazy. It would severely burn your skin after the first minutes.
Spring Sheaths: Spring-Loaded Automatic Gnomish Dagger-Release Arm Mechanism (Or SLAGDRAM). Will add.
Spring Stilts: Will add. (Must not let my players findout about this)
Crossbow Grappling Hooks: Will Add.
Lockpick Gun: How?
Edition: 3.5
Gyroscopic Stabilization: Will add.
Campaign: Blades of Keran.

Bhaakon
2011-04-29, 07:09 PM
Lockpick Gun: How?

It's not really a gun, it just sort of looks like one. You put it in the lock and pull the "trigger" and it vibrates the lock in such a way as to pop the tumblers and release the lock. They allow even untrained picker to quickly break into a standard lock (maybe that how you can use it in the game: it lets untrained pickers crack easy lock, but it's useless against tougher ones, and obviously does nothing for traps).

Milo v3
2011-04-29, 07:20 PM
Lockpick Gun: Sounds great now that I know how it would work.

boomwolf
2011-04-30, 06:54 AM

Not that I'm an expert on steam-powered mortars, but I don't see any reason why it couldn't fire hollow shells with flammable/acidic/etc substances inside, or some kind of grapeshot or caltrops.

Again, it CAN work, but as mortars can even be accurate to hit within 50 ft. radious it wont be EFFECTIVE if you got no explosive material (gunpowered mostly, but other high explosives can work) to send the shell's shrapnel (and/or the inside material) flying all over the place.
The impact will do mostly pinpoint damage with a highly non-accurate weapon. a crossbow with a glass canister bolt will be more efferent as you can at least aim it. (actually that's a pretty good idea for a bolt variation. especially on a "machine gun" variation, spreading it all over the place.)

For all you non-army guys the problem with mortar using "replacements" for mortar lunch and detonation is not actually sending it flying or making it burst, the problem is that the impact itself is mostly harmless, and so is the explosion. the main threat is the fact the metal canister is torn apart from the blast and shrapnel fly all over the place, slicing and piercing everyone around.

Its like a grenade. the blast is harmless. its the canister that should worry you. if you are immune to the slicing and piercing then you won't be in danger from the "fire" of the blast, even if its right next to you.

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 05:43 PM
For all you non-army guys the problem with mortar using "replacements" for mortar lunch and detonation is not actually sending it flying or making it burst, the problem is that the impact itself is mostly harmless, and so is the explosion. the main threat is the fact the metal canister is torn apart from the blast and shrapnel fly all over the place, slicing and piercing everyone around.

Its like a grenade. the blast is harmless. its the canister that should worry you. if you are immune to the slicing and piercing then you won't be in danger from the "fire" of the blast, even if its right next to you.

Your shell doesn't need to be made with a metal casing. Anything you contain your makeshift "mortar" shell with becomes the shrapnel that fly's and does the damage. However if you are a clever steam punk gnome you would coat the outside of your shell in adhesive and roll it in ball bearings. As an "army guy" I should think you would be familiar with the concept of IED's.

A grenade blast is not harmless. Hold an M-80 in your hand while it detonates, then count how many fingers you have left afterwards. The blast is less effective than a frag grenade, in that it's not going to do much as an AOE attack, but the poor sucker that gets hit with it isn't going to be writing home to mamma.

If your using frag ammo against targets that are immune to slicing and piercing damage, then you deserve exactly what you get. There have been several suggestions (in fact most of the suggestions) posted already about concocting incendiary rounds for your mortar. An incendiary round loaded with Greek Fire, coated with ball bearings and metal plates would cover slashing, piercing, bludgeoning and fire damage all in one. Tough to be immune to all of those at once.

BTW ... gun powder does not explode. It burns very rapidly and the expanding gasses are what forces a bullet out of the shell or breaks apart the frag grenade. A shell loaded with Greek Fire would have the same effect, as the expanding gasses generated by igniting the liquid would shatter the delivery container with sufficient force to send shrapnel flying quite nicely. (Modern explosive armaments do not use gun powder to provide the "explosion" any more, and instead use a gel or putty based explosive compound, much like C-4 as they are more stable and have a longer shelf life.)

Milo v3
2011-04-30, 07:54 PM
All I can do is clap after that post.

Now I'm definitely adding the Mortar filled with Alchemists Fire and covered in ball bearings.

boomwolf
2011-04-30, 08:22 PM
Well, while I assume it will be fun, and as such be added, it really wont work in reality. you have again missed the entire point of why:

Not metal casing-shrapnel are not harmful enough.

Yes metal casing-you need an explosive to shred it.

Any alchemical thingy to create an incineration effect will have a much smaller area of effect (about 1 meter radius from just spilling around, compared to 15+ meter radius of fragmentation), and while still lethal is ineffective with an inaccurate weapon such as mortar. (1 meter radius, you cannot aim better then 25 ft radios because not even modern technology mortar is capable of that.)

As grenade-like weapons, that's another story. the relatively low AoE will be compensated by greater accuracy.

and yes, a M-80 in your hand will leave you with little hand left, but a M-67 in your hand will leave you with little body left...the metal shrapnel are the true power behind modern AoE weapons, of infantry, armor, airforce and artillery alike.

Back to the real topic. steam jetpacks. (not realistic, but steampunk AND jetpacks!)

Bhaakon
2011-04-30, 08:25 PM
Again, it CAN work, but as mortars can even be accurate to hit within 50 ft. radious it wont be EFFECTIVE if you got no explosive material (gunpowered mostly, but other high explosives can work) to send the shell's shrapnel (and/or the inside material) flying all over the place.
The impact will do mostly pinpoint damage with a highly non-accurate weapon. a crossbow with a glass canister bolt will be more efferent as you can at least aim it. (actually that's a pretty good idea for a bolt variation. especially on a "machine gun" variation, spreading it all over the place.)

I'm not saying you're wrong, but you're comparing it to modern weapons. A mortar that can launch molotov cocktails a few hundred yards at a rate of 30 a minute (which is what the IRL version (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holman_Projector) could do) isn't much compared to a mortar launching actual explosives, but it's much better field weapon than a catapult or trebuchet.

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 09:11 PM
Not metal casing-shrapnel are not harmful enough.
Really? I have a friend who lost half a leg from an IED made solely from a plastic PVC pipe. Tell him he can have his leg back because the bomb wasn't made of metal. And did you skip the part about the ball bearings?

Yes metal casing-you need an explosive to shred it.
See above...(and my last post) you don't NEED a metal casing. Try covering an M-80 in rubber cement. Now roll it in BB's. Place several water balloons around it at various distances. Light and run. How many balloons are left? Where was your precious metal casing?

Any alchemical thingy to create an incineration effect will have a much smaller area of effect (about 1 meter radius from just spilling around, compared to 15+ meter radius of fragmentation), and while still lethal is ineffective with an inaccurate weapon such as mortar. (1 meter radius, you cannot aim better then 25 ft radios because not even modern technology mortar is capable of that.)

Are you familiar with WP grenades? Last time I saw one in action it didn't just "splash around". Try throwing a simple Molotov Cocktail. Even with the simple force of you throwing the bottle, the gas will cover much more than a 1 meter radius.

and yes, a M-80 in your hand will leave you with little hand left, but a M-67 in your hand will leave you with little body left...the metal shrapnel are the true power behind modern AoE weapons, of infantry, armor, airforce and artillery alike.

You are correct. Shrapnel greatly ads to the destructive power of a grenade. But again you don't need a metal casing. Try checking out this (http://www.efour4ever.com/mines_german.htm) site, specifically the part about the Shu-mine and the Topfmine. The Shu-mine was made from a wooden box while the Topfmine had no metal parts what-so-ever. Both still managed to be quite bloody effective in WWII. (pun intended)

I do find it amusing that you insist that a steampunk style weapon designed to be used in a Fantasy Role Playing Game can't possibly work in game. :smallbiggrin:

Back to the real topic. steam jetpacks. (not realistic, but steampunk AND jetpacks!)

Seriously? You'll tell the people that they can't have steam mortars but then endorse steam jetpacks? *facepalm*

Steam tanks and steam/clockwork robots have already been mentioned, but I don't recall anybody suggesting the main staple of Steampunk fiction...the airship.

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 09:25 PM
In my setting the gnomes are steam punks. But I can't think of any ideas for steam punk devices. And I know there are thousands of people with ideas so why not put some here.

Also I would advise checking out Datamancer's (http://www.datamancer.net/) home page as well as that of Jake VonSlat (http://steampunkworkshop.com/), two of the better known Steampunk Makers to date.

Milo v3
2011-04-30, 09:32 PM
Steam Jetpacks: You said it yourself they aren't realistic and my fantasy world aims to be realistic.
Air Ships: Their wouldn't be many as their only cities are in amazingly windy areas but they would be great to add.
Tanks: Probably not as they don't really fit the theme. Only the gnomes will have steam punk gear and the rest of the world would have to use medieval and magic or buy it for Aquitean Caravans.

Mutazoia
2011-04-30, 09:53 PM
Steam Jetpacks: You said it yourself they aren't realistic and my fantasy world aims to be realistic.

*bites tongue*:smallbiggrin:

You should try to track down a copy of Castle Falkenstein (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castle_Falkenstein_%28role-playing_game%29), GURPS Steampunk (http://www.sjgames.com/gurps/books/steampunk/), Space 1889 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space:_1889), and/or Iron Kingdoms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Kingdoms). Also the web comic, Girl Genius (http://www.girlgeniusonline.com/) would be worth reading.

Veklim
2011-05-01, 07:39 AM
At this point I feel I should put the kibosh on any further disagreements about explosives. ANYTHING WHICH BURNS can be made into an explosive, simple wheat flour can bring down a building in the right conditions. Pressurised containers need no incendiary incentive, merely a sudden impact to weaken the structure (easy enough, truly), and shrapnel can be whatever you like. A tiny piece of anything travelling at a couple of hundred miles an hour (and possibly at over 100 degrees C) is gonna hurt, regardless of whether the material is of wood or metal or plastic or even thick cardboard.
While true that modern explosives and metals are the best we have so far come up with, the idea of using ceramics is just as valid as metal, and has been done countless times before. It's cheaper, extremely easy to produce, and a chunk of fragmented clay is actually worse than metal, because it shatters on impact and peppers the inside of it's target.
Another thing to bring up is that alchemist's fire burns upon contact with the air, making it a violent thermal reaction. THAT IS WHAT AN EXPLOSION IS! All you do is pressurise it and the moment the shell breaks and the reaction starts, you have an exponentially expanding thermal reaction. How is that NOT suitable as an explosive device?

Debihuman
2011-05-01, 08:23 AM
The best Steam Punk Gnomes that I've found come from Bluffside: City on the Edge. All the information from that section is open content so I can post it here. I removed the Religion section since it only mentions the new deities from Bluffside, which I'm not sure are open content. I've put it in a spoiler for length.

Steam Gnomes
For countless centuries, steam gnomes have known only one home—built of rock and darkness far away from the glaring rays of the sun. Here, the steam gnomes (a topsider name) build vast cities and carve out a living turning raw coal and iron ore into tools to power their industrial lives. The Great Sundering revealed the underground realm to those on the surface,
which surprised both sides. The topsiders had no idea any civilization existed beneath the rock, and the steam gnomes were equally shocked since the underground realm was the only one they had ever known.

Personality: Steam gnomes, unlike their surface cousins, are very serious and hardworking. They do not have the gleeful sense of humor of their cousins, and the two groups view each other with disdain for this same reason. Steam gnomes are meticulous in their work, and believe anything worth
building is worth making it last forever. Machinery is the bedrock of civilization, and master artisans hold the greatest respect in steam gnome communities.

Physical Description: Steam gnomes stand about three to three-and-one-half feet tall and weigh 50–55 pounds. While generally the same height as surface
gnomes, they are more muscular. Their skin is soot-black; however, when washed (a rare occurrence), they are fair-skinned and very pale, with a slight bluish tinge. Steam gnomes encountered underground are covered in smoke and ore dust, and are filthy black.

They are smooth-faced, and most are bald or balding. Steam gnomes generally wear strappings of metal armor and always carry around tools. Most also wear hard metal mining helmets, both above and below ground. Steam gnomes encountered on the surface wear special tinted glasses to block out the glaring sun.

Relations: Steam gnomes get along well with most surface races. After the Great Sundering, steam gnomes ventured to the surface. They discovered a wealth of strange ideas and raw materials. Steam gnomes will trade with any race, including those considered evil, if they can get a profit. They are neutral to all surface races, including gnomes, who they view as spoiled
and immature. They have a deep hatred for drow, duergar, and other underground evil races.

Alignment: Steam gnomes are mostly good. Evil steam gnomes are extremely rare, and are ostracized from their communities. Likewise, steam gnomes tend towards neutrality and chaos. Steam gnome cities rarely enforce strict laws, relying on the greater good to adjudicate the will of the people.

Steam Gnome Lands: Steam gnomes live in vast underground communities. These cities all begin in natural caverns, and are filled with architectural and mechanical wonders. Steam gnomes get their name from the steam they use to power their empire.

There are two classes of steam gnome: miners and tinkers. Miners are the majority and are responsible for mining iron ore for building and coal for burning. These industries produce a lot of smoke and water vapor, so their cities are filthy by surface standards. Steam gnomes developed elaborate systems of fans and pipes to funnel smoke into extinct volcanoes. They never thought about where the volcanic fissures led, they were just happy to remove the smoke filling their realm. Lands around these outlets are covered in black soot and gray ash from decades of constant pollution.
After the Great Sundering, steam gnomes discovered a whole world existed
above ground. They can be found anywhere in the world, although they are most common underground. Steam gnomes do not like the sunlight, and if
they go above ground, they prefer to do so at night. If out during the day, steam gnomes wear dark sunglasses to protect their eyes from the light.

Language: The steam gnome language is precise and mathematically-based. It is full of descriptions of rock and mining, as well as technical words for tinkering tools and processes. When the Great Sundering occurred, steam gnome scholars worked feverishly to develop thousands of new words for things they were discovering on the surface. They found it more efficient to learn the common tongue of the surface instead.

Names: Steam gnomes consider names vitally important, as a name indicates a gnome's place in society. Because invention and craftsmanship are revered, steam gnomes want full credit for their work. Steam gnomes names must be completely unique and must fully describe the gnome’s ancestry and accomplishments. Vast libraries run by steam gnome librarians name new additions born to the clans. Over generations, the names have become longer, more complex and intricate. Most are now unpronounceable by
topsiders. Like their gnomish cousins, steam gnomes commonly adopt nicknames for ease, but use their technical names when dealing with members of their own kind. Steam gnome scholars can instantly recognize the age of a legend concerning a steam gnome from his name. A steam gnome with a 12-letter name is hundreds of years older than one with a 14-letter name, for example.

Names: Zyxilvickulnistmort, Manginjolipdsolivor, Abunmiltaflagenviel,
and Hlindronomilikindio. There is no distinction (as far as any topsider can tell) between male and female names. Their overworld peers generally assign steam gnomes nicknames. They lack the desire to come up with a suitable one on their own. If they do, it is usually just as long and unpronounceable
as their real name.

Adventurers: Steam gnome adventurers are scholars, craftsmen, and scientists. Like their topside cousins, they are intensely curious and ambitious. They are constantly looking for ways to improve technology, and dream of one day creating a glorious steam-driven world. Steam gnomes that adventure on the surface are usually wizards, rogues or fighters. All steam gnomes are trained in the art of tinkering. Steam gnome clerics rarely leave
their underground complexes.

Steam Gnome Racial Traits
• +2 Constitution, +2 Intelligence, –2 Wisdom, –2 Charisma: Steam gnomes are tough and resilient, but are serious and unemotional.
• Small: Steam gnomes gain a +1 size bonus to armor class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 bonus on hide checks. They must use smaller weapons than humans. Their lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters those of Medium-size characters.
• Steam gnome base speed is 20 feet.
• Darkvision: Steam gnomes can see in the dark up to 120 feet. This vision is black and white only, but retains detail.
• +2 racial bonus on all tinkering skill checks. Tinkering is ingrained in steam gnome society and all steam gnomes, regardless of societal function, are trained in it. All steam gnomes, regardless of class, receive tinkering as a class skill.
• Automatic Languages: Steam Gnome and UnderCommon. Bonus languages: Common, Gnome, Goblin, Draconic, Drow, Duergar, and Dwarf. Other languages may be available based on races in the vicinity.
• +2 racial bonus to a craft skill of the player’s choice. Steam gnomes are expert blacksmiths and artisans.
• Stonecunning: Stonecunning grants steam gnomes a +2 racial bonus on checks to notice unusual stonework, such as sliding walls, stonework traps, new construction (even when built to match the old), unsafe stone surfaces, shaky stone ceilings, and the like. Something that isn't stone but that is disguised as stone also counts as unusual stonework. A steam gnome who merely comes within 10 feet of unusual stonework can make a check as
if he were actively searching, and a steam gnome can use the Search skill to find stonework traps as a rogue can. A steam gnome can also intuit depth, sensing his approximate depth underground as naturally as a human can sense which way is up. Steam gnome have a sixth sense about stonework, an innate ability that they get plenty of opportunity to practice and hone in their underground homes.
• Favored Class: Expert (Tinker or Miner) as NPC; Fighter as PC. A multiclass steam gnome’s fighter class does not count when determining whether he suffers an XP penalty.

Debby

neoseph7
2011-05-01, 09:02 AM
IMO, One of the biggest indicators of a steam punk society is the infrastructure (not just steam engines, but factories that make boiler plates, piping, gears, pistons, sheet metal, etc.)
Further, should you want an individual that represents a steampunk society, look no further than engineers. Men and women who know what's going on with the machinery around them, can stare at gear rotations for hours, and can diagnose a fault based on the sounds from vibrations off your positive displacement pump (Cavitation due to steam bubble resonance btw). All engineers walk around with analog computers (anything from an abacus to a slide rule to a rotating cylinder with a hand crank). Some might have portable guages they can key in to a port in machinery for measuring pressure or temperature (which would then be converted to a flow rate, enthalpy, steam quality, etc.). Their offices have a steam table pinned up in the back with pencil marks aligned in straight, parallel lines of the most common net-work processes they've had to calculate. There would be carefully calibrated balances and springs for measuring weight and moments of inertia (to calibrate these devices, a small group of elite engineers, comperable to high holy men for normal D&D, in a steam punk society).
Steam punk is usually an exaggeration of Industrial Revolution technologies. The key difference between the real world and them is the pressence of an epic-whamodyne power source. In 20000 leagues under the sea, for instance, the Nautilus is powered by a chemical battery that would put nuclear reactors to shame (fictional, to say the least). To make your steam punk society real, they need a power source that is enormous.

Veklim
2011-05-01, 01:09 PM
Like a volcano? Or more precisely a huge magma pocket which they vent and tap...?
Not too portable mind you....
:smalltongue:

Mutazoia
2011-05-01, 03:13 PM
Like a volcano? Or more precisely a huge magma pocket which they vent and tap...?
Not too portable mind you....
:smalltongue:

lol true.

Depending on the device in question, the power requirements might not be all that difficult to satisfy. Clock work mechanisms would be sufficient to power smaller devices. Being that this is a Fantasy RPG, a bit of elemental fire could provide all the heat needed to power larger devices. Just because the Gnomes are Steampunks, doesn't mean the wouldn't thumb their nose at acquiring sufficient power sources through magic if it is so available, they just wouldn't rely on magic for much else. A shard of elemental fire and a decanter of endless water would power the largest airship indefinitely.

Actually how most steampunk devices are powered in fiction is usually more or less glossed over any way.