PDA

View Full Version : Need help with melee spellcaster!!! advice plz!

reidshot09
2011-04-29, 04:48 AM
hey playground, i'm both new to this site and to d&d in general but people say i have cool character ideas. btw the campaign i'm in is 3.5, good alignment, and no psions are allowed. I DONT want to play a straight meat shield and i dont want a straight glass cannon either. the classes i have right now (and lvls in them) are Fighter 2, Duskblade 3, Abjurant Champion 5, Mythic Exemplar 2. so this is what the char i made looks like so far:
Beginning stats:
STR-18
DEX-13
CON-16
INT-17
WIS-16
CHA-14
New stats with items and the 3 ability points we've gotten thus far:
STR-23
DEX-13
CON-20
INT-23
WIS-16
CHA-14
Other appropriate stats:
BaB=11
HP=142
Fort=13
Reflex=3
Will=10

ok so, what i need help with is just revisions, things that will make this character better, and help choosing good feats and such.
the feats i have taken thus far are:
Practiced Spellcaster, spell focus abj, greater spell focus abj, spell penetration, and a class gained feat is combat casting. i still have 5 more feats to choose (human bonus and fighter 2 bonus). PLZ HELP!!! :smallredface:

LordBlades
2011-04-29, 05:01 AM
Quick question: is this char already in play, or is it just a build that you plan on playing?

If it's just a build, you might want to consider wizard instead of duskbalde as your casting class. The huge array of offensive and defensive buffs wizards have makes them much scarier in a melee build than duskblades. Something like: Warblade 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 2/Abjurant champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7 is a pretty straightforward build. If TOB is not allowed, simply replace Warblade with fighter and go Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant champion 5/Eldritch Knight 7

Allanimal
2011-04-29, 05:21 AM
hey playground, i'm both new to this site and to d&d in general but people say i have cool character ideas. btw the campaign i'm in is 3.5, good alignment, and no psions are allowed. I DONT want to play a straight meat shield and i dont want a straight glass cannon either. the classes i have right now (and lvls in them) are Fighter 2, Duskblade 3, Abjurant Champion 5, Mythic Exemplar

Duskblade up to level 13, where you can channel spells on a full attack, is pretty solid and hard to screw up. After that, there are lots of possibilities. Feats should include Power Attack, Knowledge Devotion (if allowed). Arcane Strike is nice, but burns thru spells faster (which isn't bad, Duskblade gets a lot). I like it with Versatile Spellcaster as well.

Wings of Peace
2011-04-29, 06:07 AM
Edit: Just re-read your OP and realized that it looks like you've already made the character. I'm leaving my advice here in case it gives you inspiration but I don't think it's relevant.

If possible however, try to get into Legacy Champion and apply it to Abjurant Champion to raise the amount of ac bonus you get. A good alternative would be to take three levels in Arcane Duelist (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20030224a) as its Dexterous Attack ability is phenomenal.

Don't do Duskblade, run Wizard.

Since your first build was ten levels here's a good progression:
Wizard 4/Spelldancer 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 2/Abjurant Champion 2

For a full progression try:
Wizard 4/Spelldancer 2/Jade Phoenix Mage 2/Abjurant Champion 5/Legacy Champion 7 (Abjurant Champion)

Explanation: Spelldancer gives you an easy method by which to apply Persistent spell to your buffs. Just throw up all of your favorite buffs at the beginning of the day and you'll be set.

Greater Mighty Wallop, Sakritar's Triple Strike, Wraithstrike, Divine Power (via Arcane Disciple), etc will give you your offensive power.

Spells like Mage Armor, the Luminous armor line, Alter Self: Dwarven Ancestor (If you acquire the outsider type), etc. will give you rediculous ac that can be further aided by things like Mirror Image and anything that grants a miss chance.

On top of all of that you get the Wizard spell list instead of the Duskblade's so if all else fails you still have some amount of versatility to fall back on.

reidshot09
2011-04-29, 07:36 PM
this character isn't made yet, i was just playin around with classes and such but i do want to make this character to replace my current one

Lateral
2011-04-29, 07:55 PM
Here's a standard Sorcadin build I pulled up.

Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 4/ Spellsword 1/ Abjurant Champion 5/ Sacred Exorcist 8.
It gets +16 BAB and 9th level casting, IIRC. There's also always Jade Phoenix Mage, which is nice.

Bang!
2011-04-29, 08:36 PM
i still have 5 more feats to choose (human bonus and fighter 2 bonus). PLZ HELP!!! :smallredface:
I'm curious. Why make this big multiclassed thing to basically be a weaker Duskblade with extra feats, if you don't have anything to do with the extra feats?

I'd recommend dropping Practiced Spellcaster, the Abjuration focuses, fighter, and Abjurant Champion levels and going straight Duskblade. I'm not sure what you're getting out of Mythic Exemplar, but you'd probably do better to switch that to Duskblade too.

Alternatively:
Duskblade 3/Wizard 2/Urban Savant 1/Ruathar 3/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 6
for armored Wizard spell channeling with oddly specific flavor text. :smalltongue:

gbprime
2011-04-30, 08:10 AM
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... if you want to maximize both BAB and casting...

Battle Sorcerer 6 / Abjurant Champion 4 / Knight Phantom (or Eldritch Knight) 10.

You get +18 BAB and 19 levels of casting.

Battle Sorcerer is survivable if you use a bloodline feat from Dragon Magazine Compendium to make up for your missing spells.

Important feats to add... Arcane Strike (to convert spells into bonus hit and damage), Minor Shapeshift (to refresh a pool of temp HP whenever you need it). Important Spells... Displacement, Heart of Earth, Polymorph (to power Minor Shapeshift), STone and Iron Body.

If you go with this idea, for your stat block, you want to swap INT and CHA, and you want to swap DEX and WIS.

reidshot09
2011-04-30, 11:02 PM
I'm curious. Why make this big multiclassed thing to basically be a weaker Duskblade with extra feats, if you don't have anything to do with the extra feats?

I'd recommend dropping Practiced Spellcaster, the Abjuration focuses, fighter, and Abjurant Champion levels and going straight Duskblade. I'm not sure what you're getting out of Mythic Exemplar, but you'd probably do better to switch that to Duskblade too.

:
i am making this chracter as a wierd flavor for my campaign and i'm not looking for something too simplistic to play. if i was playing a weaker Duskblade i would be playing a Spellsword. i am going for a one hundred percent original character, the only class out of the ones i'm using that i'm thinking of getting rid of is Mythic Exemplar. i can sort of understand where you are coming from with your post.
everyone i dont think i was clear when i originally posted this, i AM NOT LOOKING FOR COMPLETED CHARACTER BUILDS FROM OTHER PEOPLE! i was simply wanting people's opinions on my character build and help choosing feats and for what purpose i should choose them. thank you all anyways

Bang!
2011-04-30, 11:28 PM
Your build doesn't really indicate anything you're trying to do, so proposing different options seems like it would involve wasting a lot of work talking about things you don't care about.

If you're just looking for stock feat advice for a Fighter/Duskblade, here are two (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19870606/The_Fighters_Handbook_--_2007) sources (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=525.0) you can browse for fairly detailed discussion on different feats.

You'll probably want to drop the three feats you have now. Between the Duskblade's lack of Abjuration spells with saves and the Abjurant Champion's level 5 ability, even Brachiation and Toughness would help more.

reidshot09
2011-04-30, 11:46 PM
Your build doesn't really indicate anything you're trying to do, so proposing different options seems like it would involve wasting a lot of work talking about things you don't care about.
what i'm trying to do is make a melee spellcaster with the ability to have a high ac