PDA

View Full Version : Planescape 3.X

Lastgrasp
2011-04-29, 07:30 AM
Planescape being my favorite 2nd Edition Campaign Setting. Has anyone run a planes game during 3rd Edition? How did it go?

Trying to think of the Resources needed:
Old Planescape Material for flavor. Found a good map of the Outlands online.
Manual of the Planes
Complete Planar Handbook
Fiendish Codex I & II
There a Web Enhancement for Modrons and one of the Dragon magazine update them to 3.5.
Deities & Demigods

Does Book of Exalted Deeds have info on the upper planes?
I think DM II has info on Sigil.

Anyone remember if the Gods of Faerun were part of the Great Wheel 2e?

3rd Party Publishes that touch on planescape themes? I'm thinking Portal & Planes from FFG. Book of Fiends from Green Ronin.

Anyone remember anything else that mentions planes and updates old 2e information?

I'd love to Run The Great Modron March and then Dead Gods using 3.X. Such a fantastic adventure. Tenebrous and god slaying!

Eldan
2011-04-29, 08:09 AM
You have spoken the words, and you have spoken them rightly. I am summoned.

Third edition Planescape. How does it work?
Fine. Absolutely fine. Actually, I'm running a skype game right now.

Just use 3.X rules and the old fluff, it works without a hitch.
A few things:

www.planewalker.com is the 3rd ed fansite. It's a bit badly organized, but with some searching, you'll find a lot of monsters converted to 3rd edition, and their own approach to transporting the campaign setting. May or may not be your thing, as they advanced the time line past the faction war. They also have a few adventures and a lot of half-done projects on the forum.

The Fiend Folio is a very useful book, as it also has quite a few Planescape monsters. There's a thread online with hundreds of old monsters too, but I can't find it right now.

The Book of Exalted Deeds is... mixed. It has the good equivalents of archfiends, true. The Tome Archons for Lawful good, the Court of Stars for Chaotic Good and the Seven Companions for Neutral Good. But the fluff is a bit all over the place in terms of quality and much of the crunch sucks.

The gods of Faerun were indeed on the wheel. In fact, the Wheel includes all gods, from all sources. On Hallowed Ground, if you don't have it, is a very useful book, if hard to get these days, that had chapters for a few dozens of gods, from both real-world mythologies and different settings, and how they fit into the wheel.

Yora
2011-04-29, 09:00 AM
You have spoken the words, and you have spoken them rightly. I am summoned.
My first thought was "I wonder how long... oh, there he is already." :smallbiggrin:

I think Fiendish Codex 1 and 2 are great resources when it comes to additional normal and unique fiends, quite a lot of them were actually first introduced in planescape, I think. However, I believe the description texts are quite different at times.

Eldan
2011-04-29, 09:01 AM
That's right. I'm faster than your thoughts :smalltongue:

arguskos
2011-04-29, 11:59 AM
That's right. I'm faster than your thoughts :smalltongue:
But, are you faster than the creation of the multiverse? Are you faster than the speed of dark? And even if you are, do you know why kids love Cinnamon Toast Crunch? :smalltongue:

Also, Eldan, you completely forgot the most critical thing to running Planescape: the Cant. You must be fluent!

Eldan
2011-04-29, 03:50 PM
Eh. I lisp, I'm not native English-speaking, my accent is silly and I don't really get cockney, so my cant was never all that good. But I guess it's decent enough when typing and with the help of a good cant dictionary.

Try this one, it's rather good. (http://www.mimir.net/cant/cant2.html) Actually, most of the Mimir is pretty good.

arguskos
2011-04-29, 03:57 PM
Eh. I lisp, I'm not native English-speaking, my accent is silly and I don't really get cockney, so my cant was never all that good. But I guess it's decent enough when typing and with the help of a good cant dictionary.

Try this one, it's rather good. (http://www.mimir.net/cant/cant2.html) Actually, most of the Mimir is pretty good.
Brother, I'm way ahead of ya. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10890373&postcount=8) :smallwink:

I can pull it off decently IRL, though not fluently yet. Working on it when I get the chance. I'm not half-bad, or so I think. I speak it like I've got a terribly bad British accent though. Apparently, I was a guttersnipe in the Laugh in another life.

EDIT: Also, please, for the LOVE OF GOD, leave the Lady of Pain alone. Don't stat her out, it cheapens the setting.

JohnnyCancer
2011-04-30, 11:34 AM
There's a third party book called Beyond Countless Doorways that has all kinds of neat planes and ideas that would fit perfectly in Planescape.

arguskos
2011-04-30, 01:50 PM
There's a third party book called Beyond Countless Doorways that has all kinds of neat planes and ideas that would fit perfectly in Planescape.
Ooooo, that sounds fascinating. Care to share who publishes it and what system it's for?

Eldan
2011-04-30, 01:51 PM
Third edition, actually. And I'm pretty sure some of the original Planescape people worked on it.

Edit: found it. By Malhavoc. Written by Monte Cook, Zeb Cook, Wolfgang Baur, Colin McComb, and Ray Vallese. So, the Planescape people. All of them.

arguskos
2011-04-30, 04:14 PM
Third edition, actually. And I'm pretty sure some of the original Planescape people worked on it.

Edit: found it. By Malhavoc. Written by Monte Cook, Zeb Cook, Wolfgang Baur, Colin McComb, and Ray Vallese. So, the Planescape people. All of them.
Holy damn that might as well be inscribed with the words "THIS IS PLANESCAPE LEGIT" in 80-ft high letters made of fire. :smalleek:

I need to acquire a copy, ASAP.

Eldan
2011-04-30, 04:16 PM
It's kinda planescape. From what I've read, it describes a dozen or so new planes that you can throw in your cosmology if you want. But yeah, with those people, it has to be good.

arguskos
2011-04-30, 04:29 PM
It's kinda planescape. From what I've read, it describes a dozen or so new planes that you can throw in your cosmology if you want. But yeah, with those people, it has to be good.
Call them all demiplanes, go to town.