PDA

View Full Version : Why do the Gods fear Demogorgon?

Sims
2011-04-29, 09:16 AM
He really doesn't look like he's all that tough. I read his stats, then I read what Gods were capable of, and saw there really isn't anything to be afraid of. (Depending on Rank of course)

In Demogorgons descriptions it says "even the Gods fear him". So was that litteral? Or poetic?

mootoall
2011-04-29, 10:12 AM
Perhaps they fear him because of what he can do to their followers, and not them themselves? I don't have the book(s) in front of me, but I remember him having pretty big numbers and a mean streak that might put gods' followers in the way.

myancey
2011-04-29, 10:57 AM
I haven't seen his stats in a while--but isn't he the most powerful demon (or devil, can't remember) in existence?

I mean, he's powerful enough that the two minds that compose Demogorgon actually have massive power struggles with one another and yet he still retains his rep.

But also, are there rules for permanently slaying archdemons? I'd think they couldn't really die on their home planes...but I'm at work..and therefore book-less.

Sims
2011-04-29, 11:00 AM
I haven't seen his stats in a while--but isn't he the most powerful demon (or devil, can't remember) in existence?

I mean, he's powerful enough that the two minds that compose Demogorgon actually have massive power struggles with one another and yet he still retains his rep.

But also, are there rules for permanently slaying archdemons? I'd think they couldn't really die on their home planes...but I'm at work..and therefore book-less.

I discussed this with some friends. it seems if the Demon Lord are slain, then the Devil Lords will take over. If the Demon AND Devil Lords are slain, the demons will try and elect new leaders. Being Overzealous, I would try and kill them off too.

Then the demons AND Devils will be weak with no order. Until someone cast true resurrection on them. Whats the spell that prevented that? It encased the soul in a crystal or something like that.

Would that work on an Outsider?

Kuulvheysoon
2011-04-29, 11:43 AM
Don't outsiders not have "souls" in the typical sense?

I mean, in every single outsider (native) description I've seen, it specifies that they're able to be raised, unlike normal outsiders. Plus there's the fact that I'm pretty sure that if you kill a devil/demon on it's home plane, it's dead dead.

hamishspence
2011-04-29, 12:17 PM
There's a Revive Outsider spell in Spell Compendium. And True Resurrection works on Outsiders.

In Complete Divine- it explains that after an Outsider is slain, its soul dissolves, fairly rapidly, into its home plane, and it requires powerful magic to "put the soul back together".