PDA

View Full Version : Custom Magic Item Question

Essence_of_War
2011-04-29, 10:12 AM
In the game I'm DM'ing, the 9th level PCs have a month of downtime between their last adventure and when we begin the intrepid excursion into Gygax's Necropolis!

I've never dabbled in custom items before, but the wizard has asked for an opportunity to do some crafting and has submitted for my approval:

The Hand of Folly

This silver amulet shaped like a hand creates a spectral hand at will. The spectral hand acts just like the spell and can deliver touch spells for the wearer. If no spell is cast into the hand, it acts as "touch of idiocy", causing 1d6 Int Wis and Cha damage.
Faint necromancy and enchantment; CL 3rd; Craft wondrous item, spectral hand, touch of idiocy; Price 21,600 GP.

As he has written it, I'm unclear as to what this item does. I have asked for clarification and in anticipation of that I think what he wants it to do is:
1) As a standard action cast spectral hand
2a) Once a hand exists, as whatever type of action relevant for the spell, cast a touch range spell
2b) Once a hand exists, if no touch range spell is cast, deliver a "Touch of Idiocy".
3) After delivering a spell, exceeding its range, or going out of sight, the hand poofs out of existence and has to be created again.

However, as written, it sounds like it is an item that:
1) casts spectral hand indistinguishably from the spell of the same name
2) Can then deliver touch spells, and if the wizard doesn't cast a spell, he can instead deliver a "touch of idiocy".
3) This can be repeated ad nauseaum until the duration of the spectral hand expires. At which time he has to create it again.

Moreover, I'm not sure he has calculated the cost this item correctly. When I did the math for this as a Use-Activated/Continuous item I came out with:
(2k base)*( CL 3)*(Spell level 2) = 12k just to get the spectral hand effect
+ (2k base)*(CL 3)*(Spell level 2)*1.5 = 18k to get the Touch of Idiocy effect also giving a total of 30k.

Anyway, assuming I've done the math correct for the item's cost, do you think that either version of this item should be allowed to exist?

Garagos
2011-04-29, 10:29 AM
It doesn't seem like an OP item to me. Touch of Idiocy can't stack with itself as far as I know, so the most his enemies will ever lose is 6 points. The spectral hand shouldn't disappear after delivering a spell according to the SRD; it should return to the caster and hover waiting to receive the next spell. It only disappears when destroyed. I don't see in the spell description where it talks about what action it is to direct the hand, so I'd probably make it a move action.

As for the price I'd say you are correct in your calculation and I'd ask him how he came up with his number.

Essence_of_War
2011-04-29, 10:38 AM
Hmmm I wasn't sure about the stacking. It is an unnamed ability penalty and my primary concern was sort of that everyone in the campaign setting was now going to touch of idiocy'd into 1 wisdom and then hit with dominate effects.

Garagos
2011-04-29, 11:16 AM
I'm pretty sure touch of idiocy works just like ray of enfeeblement. I know ray of enfeeblement cannot stack with itself. What could happen is he could use the hand to deliver touch of idiocy once, and roll a 3 on the d6. Next round he could use it again and roll a 5. The 5 would override the 3. He could keep doing this to the same target until he rolled a 6 and after that there would be no point.

manyslayer
2011-04-29, 11:22 AM
As stated, touch of idiocy applies a penalty. Make sure the player is aware of this as the short description in the spell list lists it as ability damage, which would, effectively, stack.

Or don't and then smile evilly when he tries to smack a monster in stupid from supergenius.

Essence_of_War
2011-04-29, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the clarification all!

He wanted to spam inf touch of idiocy so he has decided to direct his efforts into other crafted items.

Although the continuous use spectral hand item seems like a pretty cool thing independently :smallamused: