PDA

View Full Version : Throwing/Returning Armor Spikes?

Sims
2011-04-29, 10:54 AM
It looks like this is actually possible, bu how would it look? Would they fire off in all diffrent directions, and then return? Or would they just fire off plain and simple then fall.

The Throw qualities only requirement was a melee weapon right?

Cog
2011-04-29, 11:07 AM
It's a throwing enhancement, not a firing enhancement. Why do you think they'd fly off on their own?

You'd have to take the spikes off, and presumably the armor along with it, and then chuck it by hand.

Sims
2011-04-29, 11:12 AM
It's a throwing enhancement, not a firing enhancement. Why do you think they'd fly off on their own?

You'd have to take the spikes off, and presumably the armor along with it, and then chuck it by hand.

New idea! Firing Enchantment! ftw!

Forged Fury
2011-04-29, 11:26 AM
Subtract a +1 Heavy Steel Shield from the Spined Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#spinedShield) for a base and go nuts.

manyslayer
2011-04-29, 11:29 AM
Well, by RAW it seems to work, but I'd also say that it would have no effect. Just because the weapon has an enchantment that can be thrown, there is nothing that says it can be detached from what it is attached to. It would be like having the throwing enchantment on one end of a double weapon but even more restrictive.

balistafreak
2011-04-29, 11:31 AM

Who's to say the spikes aren't on your arms/legs, and with a swing/kick you release a mechanism that disconnects them? And then they fly back and reconnect on their own?

... yeah, I know, pretty contrived. :smallamused:

Ashtagon
2011-04-29, 11:38 AM
This special ability can only be placed on a weapon that can be thrown. A returning weapon flies through the air back to the creature that threw it. It returns to the thrower just before the creature’s next turn (and is therefore ready to use again in that turn).

Spiked armour is not a weapon that can be thrown.

balistafreak
2011-04-29, 11:52 AM

But armor spikes are if you rig them correctly! *trollface*

Forged Fury
2011-04-29, 11:54 AM
I think the point was to add both the throwing and returning property to the armor spikes.

Throwing
This ability can only be placed on a melee weapon. A melee weapon crafted with this ability gains a range increment of 10 feet and can be thrown by a wielder proficient in its normal use.Spiked armor is technically listed under Light Melee Weapons.

Cog
2011-04-29, 12:01 PM
Who's to say the spikes aren't on your arms/legs, and with a swing/kick you release a mechanism that disconnects them? And then they fly back and reconnect on their own?
None of which matches the plain English definition of "thrown" or the description of the returning property. That interpretation isn't merely contrived.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-29, 12:51 PM
Why not have a spring mechanism and wires attached to the spikes so you can just eject them then reel them back in when you're done?

Just hope nobody grabs the wires.:smalleek:

sengmeng
2011-04-29, 01:10 PM
I agree that "throwing" is something that means that the object to be thrown is held in your hand... but, I've always thought that a throwing, returning spiked shield would be a neat idea, if impractical.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-29, 01:45 PM
Why would anyone decide to have their protective gear enchanted to be hurled at people?

*Mental image appears*

Oh, right! The awesomesauce!

Rickshaw
2011-04-29, 01:57 PM
I think any gnome worth his wrenches could rig some armor spike launchers into your armor. It would probably be super cumbersome and prohibitively expensive, but still...

And as far as a throwing shields...My first character was a swashbuckler with the shield of blades variant. he carried two bladed shields and alternated throwing one and shield bashing with the other. Didn't work particularly well, but it was definitely fun to play.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-29, 02:43 PM
For some reason I have the mental image of the blackguard from the epic level handbook throwing his helmet like some sort of brutal dodgeball. Actually a thrown/returning spiked helmet would be a cool weapon.

big teej
2011-04-29, 03:32 PM
It looks like this is actually possible, bu how would it look? Would they fire off in all diffrent directions, and then return? Or would they just fire off plain and simple then fall.

The Throw qualities only requirement was a melee weapon right?

Subtract a +1 Heavy Steel Shield from the Spined Shield (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicArmor.htm#spinedShield) for a base and go nuts.

For some reason I have the mental image of the blackguard from the epic level handbook throwing his helmet like some sort of brutal dodgeball. Actually a thrown/returning spiked helmet would be a cool weapon.

I love this idea and somebody needs to brew an armor or armor enhancement that involves 'spike shooters'

right now

or else it's going to be me
and then it'll suck. :smalltongue:

Koury
2011-04-29, 03:41 PM

Please tell me I'm not the only person to ever play Shining Force II on Sega Genisis. Because this is exactly how Mayo attacks before he promotes.

sengmeng
2011-04-29, 03:44 PM
It's possible to put the enchantment on the spikes, it's just not possible to throw them. Throwing has four steps: 1) hold an object in your hand. 2) draw back your arm. 3) vigorously move your arm forward. 4) release the object at the right moment to have it fly towards your target.

Play around with it for a while, you'll get it right.

Alabenson
2011-04-29, 03:53 PM
It's possible to put the enchantment on the spikes, it's just not possible to throw them. Throwing has four steps: 1) hold an object in your hand. 2) draw back your arm. 3) vigorously move your arm forward. 4) release the object at the right moment to have it fly towards your target.

Play around with it for a while, you'll get it right.

Play a small race and have a party member take the Fling Ally feat?

sengmeng
2011-04-29, 03:54 PM
Yeah, they should return you to him, I think?

Cog
2011-04-29, 04:07 PM
The wording on returning might make that awkward, though it's less clear there. There is an easy solution, though.

Be a Bloodstorm Blade with Fling Ally. :smallamused:

JaronK
2011-04-29, 06:09 PM
Play a small race and have a party member take the Fling Ally feat?

Wait, are you suggesting that we could have a halfling Warblade wearing armor with Throwing and Returning Armor Spikes on it, and then have the Half Minotaur War Hulk/Hulking Hurler with Fling Ally use the Halfling as a spikey death boomerang, while the halfing holds his action to attack with a maneuver when he hits and then gets automatically returned to the hulk?

Because if so, that's freaking awesome.

JaronK

Curious
2011-04-29, 07:17 PM
Wait, are you suggesting that we could have a halfling Warblade wearing armor with Throwing and Returning Armor Spikes on it, and then have the Half Minotaur War Hulk/Hulking Hurler with Fling Ally use the Halfling as a spikey death boomerang, while the halfing holds his action to attack with a maneuver when he hits and then gets automatically returned to the hulk?

JaronK

My god, it's full of stars. . .

Darth Stabber
2011-04-29, 10:09 PM

JaronK

I think that would be an awesome encounter. It's the bouncy ball special.

true_shinken
2011-04-30, 10:29 AM
I think that would be an awesome encounter. It's the bouncy ball special.

No, it's the fastball special (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FastballSpecial).
Bonus if the halfling has Trollbloded so he doesn't die.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-30, 12:38 PM
No, it's the fastball special (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FastballSpecial).
Bonus if the halfling has Trollbloded so he doesn't die.

I've never seen wolverine return to colossus's hand after the attack, hence bouncy ball special.

SaintRidley
2011-04-30, 12:47 PM

JaronK

That... is pretty much the mental image I was thinking of when I read the first post.

flabort
2011-04-30, 12:57 PM
On the first topic:
The "throwing" armor spikes come off easily in your hand, and then the "returning" property reattaches them to your armor. Hate to be a killjoy, but that's how I'd rule it. It's the spikes you're enchanting with "throw", not the armor.

On the Fast/bouncy ball special:
Somebody has to homebrew a set of maneuvers (what's it called, a Style?) that are designed to be used with held actions, specifically with being the "flung ally" of "fling ally" in mind, but with other options still available.
"Flying Panther" style, or some such.
Just so this image gets better.

Cog
2011-04-30, 01:05 PM
A lot of strikes are already standard actions, so they're quite compatible with readied actions as is.

flabort
2011-04-30, 01:12 PM
"if you ready this maneuver to be used outside your turn, and are subject to an effect that would cause you to move 10 or more feet before you use your action, such as Fling Ally, <something, something, something>, otherwise <something much less powerful and not worth it>"

Qwertystop
2011-04-30, 01:44 PM

JaronK

Since the actual description of the Returning enhancement is that the weapon reappears in the thrower's hand (as opposed to flying back), I would say that after the first throw the thrower is holding armor and there's a naked halfling on the enemy's corpse.

Not that that's un-awesome.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-30, 01:49 PM
On the first topic:
The "throwing" armor spikes come off easily in your hand, and then the "returning" property reattaches them to your armor. Hate to be a killjoy, but that's how I'd rule it. It's the spikes you're enchanting with "throw", not the armor.

On the Fast/bouncy ball special:
Somebody has to homebrew a set of maneuvers (what's it called, a Style?) that are designed to be used with held actions, specifically with being the "flung ally" of "fling ally" in mind, but with other options still available.
"Flying Panther" style, or some such.
Just so this image gets better.
A set of manuevers is a discipline.

For the flung ally I reccomend "flying wolverine", and using the tiger claw disciple as a base.
For the flinging ally "colossal cannon", and converting blood storm blade into a discipline.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-30, 01:51 PM
Since the actual description of the Returning enhancement is that the weapon reappears in the thrower's hand (as opposed to flying back), I would say that after the first throw the thrower is holding armor and there's a naked halfling on the enemy's corpse.

Not that that's un-awesome.

Now I have an image of colossus throwing belkar.

ffone
2011-04-30, 02:18 PM
Returning/throwing armor spikes won't work for the same reason that using a tanglefoot bag's goo to glue a javelin to yourself (and tie lots of rope around it and your forearm together for good measure), and then try to throw it, won't work.

The throwing weapon property simply allows the weapon, when thrown, to use the parameters described (no immediate penalty, 10' range increment). The returning property acts ONCE the weapon has been thrown - it doesn't give it any special ability to be thrown in the first place.

If your DM does allow it, and rules you fly with the weapon, then grab returning armor spikes simply as a way of 'moving' as part of a full attack.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-30, 03:24 PM
But you would return to where you started! "I throw myself at the enemy; we collide and I return to my original position." Mechanically it wouldn't be any different then just throwing the spikes at them.

Qwertystop
2011-04-30, 03:41 PM
But you would return to where you started! "I throw myself at the enemy; we collide and I return to my original position." Mechanically it wouldn't be any different then just throwing the spikes at them.

No, you would return to where you are.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-30, 04:23 PM
No, you would return to where you are.

touche. I wonder if the world would collapse under the pressure of not moving?:smalltongue:

sengmeng
2011-04-30, 07:10 PM
You have to name the character Baron von Munschausen; then it makes sense