PDA

View Full Version : Making a Dragon Slayer

Biguds
2011-04-29, 11:34 AM
Hi.

I`m here to propose a quest.

Make the best dragonslayer
- All books (Classes, Races, Feats, Spells, Equipment, etc..)
- Character Level 20
- Full WBL
- 32 point-buy

Only one restriction, no Leadership [but can take the variantes, like Undead Leadership if you take the necromancy rote]

PS: IŽd like to see a Dragonborn Ranger/Dragonslayer with nice equipment =]

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 11:43 AM
Oldie, but not turrible. (http://replay.web.archive.org/20081018223026/http://forums.gleemax.com/wotc_archive/index.php/t-762006)

Biguds
2011-05-01, 09:28 PM
I was thinking in a very optimized build for dragon slaying, not only high amount of damage in a single stroke :smallfrown:

There are needs to search for the dragon, fight it [and survive]... like the dragonslayers from de movies and books :smallwink:

jguy
2011-05-01, 09:32 PM
Well the classical Knight in shining armor slaying the dragon with a lance works. Its the standard Super-charger build that can kill a dragon in one hit. I cannot remember the build off the top of my hand but I do know it involves a +5 Impaling Valorous Lance, Power attack, and a lot of damage multipliers.

TroubleBrewing
2011-05-01, 09:39 PM
I cannot remember the build off the top of my hand but I do know it involves a +5 Impaling Valorous Lance, Power attack, and a lot of damage multipliers.

Where is this impaling enhancement from? I would LOVE to use it on a mounted guy I'm building, but I've never heard of it before this moment.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-05-01, 09:45 PM
Let's see...

Race: raptoran.
Class: ranger 2/swordsage 18 or ranger 2/warblade 18 (ranger is to track the dragon).

Full character sheet will be made.

Wings of Peace
2011-05-01, 09:49 PM
My wizard casts Shivering Touch.

herrhauptmann
2011-05-01, 09:50 PM
Well the classical Knight in shining armor slaying the dragon with a lance works. Its the standard Super-charger build that can kill a dragon in one hit. I cannot remember the build off the top of my hand but I do know it involves a +5 Impaling Valorous Lance, Power attack, and a lot of damage multipliers.

You should get 'smoking' as well, a mere +1 cost. In exchange you get some nice little miss chances. They're even cheaper if you put them on your armor spikes rather than your regular weapon.

Otherwise, well some variety of Tier 1 character. They might not get all the nifty feats and PA boosts that a warrior type gets, but the spells make up for it. AND, if they wish, they can also invest a few feats/skills/equipment in the basics of a charger build.

Biguds
2011-05-01, 10:25 PM
Thats what I was talking !

A single guy that can make a dragonslaying guest by himself.

I can see a human dragonborn ranger10/dragonslayer10 with some crafts and a good magic gear [and non-magic]

Whats next, guys ?

jguy
2011-05-01, 10:40 PM
Where is this impaling enhancement from? I would LOVE to use it on a mounted guy I'm building, but I've never heard of it before this moment.

Impaling is a +1 enchantment from the MIC. It can only work on piercing weapons. 3/day you can make your next attack a touch attack. Trick is that Dragons have horrendous touch ac so you can power attack for full and still hit with just strength alone. As long as you don't roll the 1

jguy
2011-05-01, 10:44 PM
The build I use for Super charger is Fighter 4/Paladin6/Cavalier10. Cavalier is a PrC in Complete warrior and its capstone ability is either x4 or x5 damage on a charge a couple times a day. Cast Rhino Rush to add another multiplier, valorous enchantment for another, and 3-1 power attack with leap attack, you can realistically 1 shot a dragon. Heaven forbid you have pounce.

Cog
2011-05-01, 10:45 PM
And as long as they don't have Scintillating Scales up.

jguy
2011-05-01, 10:50 PM
This is true, but then you could always use shocktrooper feat to give up AC instead of BAB and get the same effect.

Coidzor
2011-05-01, 10:59 PM
Thats what I was talking !

A single guy that can make a dragonslaying guest by himself.

I can see a human dragonborn ranger10/dragonslayer10 with some crafts and a good magic gear [and non-magic]

Whats next, guys ?

Wildshape Mystic Ranger 10/Dragonslayer 10 with Sword of the Arcane Order will get 5th level wizard spells, 5th level ranger spells, and some other stuff.

But, really, you don't need all that many levels of Dragonslayer proper.

At least 10 levels of Mystic Ranger casting + Sword of the Arcane Order is a fairly good Gish-light. Heck Psion+Ranger > Slayer 10 is gonna be pretty good.

Sounds really like you want a proper gish.

Amnestic
2011-05-01, 11:03 PM

Why would you be a Human Dragonborn? If it's for the fluff that's fine, but Dragonborn get rid of the bonus feat and bonus skill points. Humans are one of the worst races to make Dragonborn out there. Almost any other race would be better.

Daftendirekt
2011-05-01, 11:28 PM
There's got to be a way to make a master thrower build (weak spot = touch attacks) that's sufficiently dragonslayer flavored... Uber javelins?

Otherworld Odd
2011-05-01, 11:33 PM
Is this possible to do with a greatsword or similar large sword? I just like the idea of someone whipping up on a dragon with a huge sword. >.>

Doc Roc
2011-05-01, 11:57 PM
You do realize that the archivist build represents a fusion of one of the most powerful classes with one of the weakest archetypes to produce something beautiful? It's not just a single stroke of damage.

As for the build: That's 8 levels too many of ranger, unless you're using a lot of ACFs or similar.

Popertop
2011-05-02, 12:04 AM
Vassal of Bahamut is a dragonslaying PrC, can't remember what book its from, and I don't remember it being very exciting, but it's pretty thematically appropriate, if you didn't want vanilla dragonslayer.

They make their own special suit of armor from the dragons that they kill, it's like getting the armor of mithral full plate while wearing mithral chain shirt.

I think they get some other minor defensive abilities too, nothing outrageously useful if I remember correctly.

Coidzor
2011-05-02, 12:32 AM

Collision's a good one too on such a lance. :smallbiggrin:

herrhauptmann
2011-05-02, 01:18 AM
Vassal of Bahamut is a dragonslaying PrC, can't remember what book its from, and I don't remember it being very exciting, but it's pretty thematically appropriate, if you didn't want vanilla dragonslayer.

They make their own special suit of armor from the dragons that they kill, it's like getting the armor of mithral full plate while wearing mithral chain shirt.

I think they get some other minor defensive abilities too, nothing outrageously useful if I remember correctly.

Book of exalted deeds. The armor is rather meh. It can be improved like regular armor, but if it ever gets stolen, all someone has to do to destroy your investment is to try it on.
Part of their advantage is Dragonwrack. Anytime they hit a dragon, or a dragon hits them with melee, the dragon takes uncurable damage. So if you can be intelligent enough to whittle the dragon down over time, you can make it so that his max possible hit points is half or less of MM standard.

Zaq
2011-05-02, 01:31 AM
And as long as they don't have Scintillating Scales up.

Any Wizard who's out dragon huntin' who doesn't have a Quickened True Strike ready for exactly such a situation . . . well, probably isn't 9th level yet.

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 01:35 AM
Book of exalted deeds. The armor is rather meh. It can be improved like regular armor, but if it ever gets stolen, all someone has to do to destroy your investment is to try it on.
Part of their advantage is Dragonwrack. Anytime they hit a dragon, or a dragon hits them with melee, the dragon takes uncurable damage. So if you can be intelligent enough to whittle the dragon down over time, you can make it so that his max possible hit points is half or less of MM standard.

Or you could just kill him in a single shot, but that's not very epic. I guess?

herrhauptmann
2011-05-02, 01:40 AM
Or you could just kill him in a single shot, but that's not very epic. I guess?

But then that doesn't require Dragonwrack. At best, it's what, an extra 6d6 damage to your normal 2d6+400 damage?

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 01:44 AM
But then that doesn't require Dragonwrack. At best, it's what, an extra 6d6 damage to your normal 2d6+400 damage?

Actually, would it all become permanent? That might arguably prevent resurrection...

herrhauptmann
2011-05-02, 09:16 AM
Just doublechecked, (BoED 81) half of the damage dealt by the vassal is permanent hit point drain. Ooh, do that with a retribution amulet...
Take a full attack from a great wyrm, 6 attacks. He takes half damage, +2d6 dragonwrack per attack. Half of all that, is permanent... Now stack it with retaliation armor...
Killing the enemy by getting hit isn't the best tactic, but it sure is funny.

If I were DM in this situation, I'd say that at the worst, a Dragon would end up with 1 HP per HD. So that ancient red would have at worst 40 HP.
I'd also say that the drain could go away from a True Resurrection or Reincarnate spell.
Though how would that work with reincarnate on a dragon? I was a dragon 300 years old, my minion cast this spell, now I'm a goblin. Would he then have a few dozen humanoid HD?

Cog
2011-05-02, 09:22 AM
Reincarnate isn't supposed to change type, so the DM would have to make a table of Dragon type creatures to roll on. Old racial hit dice get replaced by the new, though, so if he did reincarnate to a goblin somehow, he'd lose those racial HD.

herrhauptmann
2011-05-02, 10:04 AM
Reincarnate isn't supposed to change type,
Hmm, didn't know that. But it makes sense...
So what would go on the table? Just dragon races? Or dragon races subdivided by age?
I ask because under certain circumstances a dragon would technically end up a different age category as he changes colors. Would really suck for a Gold to end up reincarnating as a White under any circumstances. But if it also included a large drop in strength, (which it probably would...) that'd suck even more.

Metahuman1
2011-05-02, 10:40 AM
Sorcerer 20 after +3 LA buyoff. 1 for Dragon Descended (RotD) 2 for Drow. Then add Lesser Asimar. Buy a +6 Clock of Cha. Learn Gate and Programmed Amnesia along with Energy Immunity, Mage hand and Vampiric Touch, Fly, Dimension Door, Obscuring Mist, Shocking Grasp, and Caress of Night.

Feats should be Silent Spell, Extend Spell, Still Spell, Rapid Metamagic, Versatile Spell caster, and Cost reducers so that all of these cast as +0 effective spell level. Taking a couple of flaws for bonus feats would help here.

Use Gate, bring out something that can cast Wish. Make it make Wishes so that you get a Deck of Many things and are only effected by beneficial effects. This ups your money and let's you get nice boons form the Deck, including Boosting of your stats. Also use the Gate + creature with wish combo too get yourself a +5 Tome for Cha and a + 5 Inherent boost form the Wish spell itself. (And if it goes wrong the creature casting takes the heat form it, not you. ) The Idea is to get your Cha and by extension your Saving throw DC's up as high as possible. This build get's +6 Cha form Templates, assume another +4 form boosts form lvling, a baise roll of 16, +6 form the cloak, +5 form the Tome, +5 form the direct boost form Wish, and a +8 form trick with the Deck of Many things for a 50 Cha. More if you want to push the Deck trick a bit further and start at Venerable Age.

Find a couple of dragons of the same age category as you. Use Silent Stilled Extended program Amnesia and the excuse of just wanting to play Chess with them so that they'll let you hang around as you spam Programmed Amnesia till they eventually flop a save. Keep going back and getting into chess games with them if you run out of spells per day, and eventually they have to fail a save/ Don't get spared becuase of SR.

Once Dominated, make sure you keep track of spell duration. Before the spell wear's off, order them not to resist the next spell your gonna cast on them, and then recast the spell. Boom, effectively permanent control of several dragons who should all be the equal in power too the one your gonna fight.

Go to fight the dragon you want to slay, use energy Immunity too boost yourself and your dragon allies as well as any Allies you Gate in, use Fly+Obscuring Mist+Dimension Door to keep away form the Dragon's Melee and get the hell out of dodge if some how it goes bad. Spam Mage hand and Vampiric touch, Shocking Grasp, and Caress of Night so that you can add Temp HP too yourself in case it DOES get a melee attack to two off on you somehow, and so that you can spam multiple touch attacks against it's trivial touch AC a round. Then just let your summoned/enchanted allies and your mage hands and touch spells go to town on him while you focus on just making sure he doesn't get his hooks in you.

Wands of Greater Dispel magic are also suggested so that you can use them too counter spell his spell casting attempts.

the_archduke
2011-05-02, 10:46 AM
Except that wish doesn't have that kind of power. The Deck of Many Things is an artifact

the clumsy bard
2011-05-02, 10:57 AM
From the Factotum handbook:

The Circus Thrower:
Factotum 3/Warblade 2/Marshal 1/Bloodstorm Blade 4/Master Thrower 5/Factotum 5: Ooooh the possibilities. You want Manyshot, a BaB of at least +16, Power Attack, Weapon Finesse, and Stormguard Warrior. You have to fiddle a bit to get all your feats, but it's do-able. This guy gets to chuck 8 blades using palm throw as a standard action, and can, once per encounter, take two standard actions in a round. That's 16 touch attacks to fuel Stormguard Warrior, which he can then unleash for an extra 80 points on damage per attack on 8 touch attacks the following round. Ouch. Let's add that each blade can also force a trip attack, to which the thrower adds his Cha, Dex, AND Int mods - plus 4. If you can get Improved Trip on this build, do so.

Just think about it and laugh a little... Bunch of little daggers hitting a colossal dragon. Then wham! taking tons of damage right after that.

Throw in a belt of battle and you can kill it in one round with a barrage of thrown weapons :)

ILM
2011-05-02, 11:14 AM
Use Silent Stilled Extended program Amnesia and the excuse of just wanting to play Chess with them so that they'll let you hang around as you spam Programmed Amnesia till they eventually flop a save. Keep going back and getting into chess games with them if you run out of spells per day, and eventually they have to fail a save/ Don't get spared becuase of SR.

Succeeding on a Saving Throw
A creature that successfully saves against a spell that has no obvious physical effects feels a hostile force or a tingle, but cannot deduce the exact nature of the attack.
Considering dragons are apt magic users and that you'd be the only one in the room with them, I'm pretty sure you'd get busted after the first save they make. And then you'd be so much crunchy, delicious sustenance.

Doc Roc
2011-05-02, 11:42 AM
Changeling
Wizard 5/tainted scholar 2/spelldancer 2/recaster 5 for divine power an favor of the martyr.

Might be a tad feat starved, I am afb, can someone see if the reqs are hittable?

Anyway, DC 50+ saves tend to be fatal.