PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer PrCs

Pigkappa
2011-04-29, 12:35 PM
I want to play a Sorcerer in a campaign we'll start in the future (starting level unknown, likely > 3 and < 9).

The optimization level is low and I don't want to be more effective than the other party members (I will mostly choose core spells and avoid broken ones such as Polymorph; the DM isn't really comfortable with non-core material); but I really can't stand the total lack of class features. So I'm looking for an interesting PrC to join as soon as possible (level 6 would be nice).

The problem is, all the PrCs I can think of are someway broken or unavailable. Mage of arcane order = infinite versatility, makes definitely no sense. Incantatrix = even worse, I'm not going to abuse metamagic. I like the fatespinner but iirc it can't be entered at level 6.

I don't want to lose caster levels since being one level behind the wizards (for no apparent reason) is already bad. Suggestions?

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 12:38 PM
You've got more than just the lost level of spellcasting to worry about, your class skills aren't too hot either, especially since a number of Sorcerer PrCs forgot to check the sorcerer's class list.

Sand Shaper from Sandstorm is good, though if you think Mage of the Arcane Order is broken I have no idea if you'd be able to stand its main draw.

Playing a Kobold can help you make up for that lost spellcasting level, or, y'know, getting the DM to put you on par with the wizard casting progression.

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 12:41 PM
I recommend a dip into mindbender and then running off and huggling initiate of the seven fold veils. I seem to remember that one is accessible from sorcerer without too many tears shed.

myancey
2011-04-29, 01:23 PM
Depending on your alignment, you might try out the Palemaster (LM, I think). Some people find it underpowered but I've always thought of it as a strong PrC. You get to play around with undead a lot. I think you lose a level of casting..but I don't have my books near me to verify that. And it bases its touch saves off of Charisma, I believe.

So its technically optimizing, but as a sorc you've got to get in close to use some of its abilities.

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 01:26 PM
It does lose a Caster Level, yes.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-04-29, 01:31 PM
Yes, and also Necromancy is a poor option for a Sorc unless your going to go into Maho in which case you get acssess to desecrate and some other nice spells for a necromancy-type. So a Pale Master sorc would not even be that OP even if PM was a full 10/10 CL progression class.

Pigkappa
2011-04-29, 01:31 PM
I forgot to mention that I'm certainly going to be Good (neutral good or chaotic good, don't know yet).

The mindbender idea was nice but it sadly requires to be non-Good.

HalfDragonCube
2011-04-29, 01:41 PM
Elemental Savant is all right is you are being a blasty sorcerer. No cheese, just some extra power in your energy damage spells. I think you can enter it at around level six.

Coidzor
2011-04-29, 01:47 PM
Elemental Savant is all right is you are being a blasty sorcerer. No cheese, just some extra power in your energy damage spells. I think you can enter it at around level six.

Isn't that the one that locks you into only being able to use a single energy type? If so, you'd better have Searing Spell or something.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-04-29, 02:44 PM
I'll second IotSV. You're not necessarily going to end encounters by yourself; you're just never going to be threatened in those encounters. Why doesn't MotAO make sense? Why wouldn't a glorified wizard's cabal hire someone they consider to be a lesser arcanist to go risk his life for lore they can use, and in return offer the use of their magical spell pool?

Toliudar
2011-04-29, 02:57 PM
I think his reason for avoiding MotAO was to avoid overshadowing his fellow players.

If it's appropriate for the thrust of your campaign, Keeper of the Cerulean Sign (Lords of Madness) gives full casting. If you can find a way around the non-class skill requirements, it'd be flavourful and not overpowered option.

Loremaster is good for any academically-focused caster, spontaneous or otherwise.

Telonius
2011-04-29, 03:06 PM
Depending on just how goody two-shoes you are, Exalted Arcanist is an option. Don't let the "lost level" fool you - the only effect it will have is two fewer spells per day at 20, and one fewer regular 9th-level spell known. In return, you could get (depending on when you take the PrC) two extra seventh-level spells known, plus all the Sanctified Spells added to your spells known when you finish out the PrC. This is one of the few instances where loss of a caster level might be worth it.

It also opens up the possibility of taking the Thaumaturgist PrC, a full-casting PrC normally only available to Clerics.

Pigkappa
2011-04-29, 03:17 PM
I think his reason for avoiding MotAO was to avoid overshadowing his fellow players.

Yes, that's true. So being "never going to be threatened in those encounters" is also out of question. Straight sorcerer with a mediocre spell selection would be ok, but I just don't like having no class features at all.

Loremaster is good for any academically-focused caster, spontaneous or otherwise.

Loremaster can't be chosen before level 8. I can already be a Fatespinner, which I really like, at level 8. I'm looking for something I can take at level 6 or 7.

Also, this is a character I will play. I'm not looking for a build that will work at level 20.

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 05:15 PM
sorcerer -> 1LvL Mindbender -> Fatespinner.
Grab mindsight, and bang, you're the Science Officer.

Kantolin
2011-04-29, 05:45 PM
Perhaps a war weaver?

That's actually a very powerful prestige class, yes, but its power comes from 'now my buddies are awesome', which is far less likely to make them unhappy. ^_^

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 06:08 PM
Perhaps a war weaver?

That's actually a very powerful prestige class, yes, but its power comes from 'now my buddies are awesome', which is far less likely to make them unhappy. ^_^

It's not really ideal for a sorcerer, sadly. Favored soul, sure, but..

Pigkappa
2011-04-29, 06:19 PM
The Mindbender has that awful "non Good" alignment requirement. I'm going to ask the DM if I can take it even if I'm Good if I can't find any alternative prc.

It's not really ideal for a sorcerer, sadly. Favored soul, sure, but..

That requires arcane spellcasting so it sounds easier to join as a sorcerer than as a favored soul...

Greenish
2011-04-29, 06:21 PM
That requires arcane spellcasting so it sounds easier to join as a sorcerer than as a favored soul...Easier, maybe, but less cheesy, which is what Doc meant.

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 06:27 PM
Easier, maybe, but less cheesy, which is what Doc meant.

Ohhh, you silver-tongued flatterer.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-29, 06:37 PM
He did say optimization was low people. We need to step it down a notch :P

Doc Roc
2011-04-29, 06:40 PM
He did say optimization was low people. We need to step it down a notch :P

That missed comma did not detract from the meaning at all, and made it much funnier. To be honest, the amount of resources you burn to be a Favored Soul War Weaver is pretty freaking considerable. Unless you get all algernon up ins, it's not that broken. It's just healing that works.