PDA

View Full Version : Gestalt Pixie Beguiler: Good Options for other class?

Darth Stabber
2011-04-29, 12:51 PM
So a Pixie is 4LA, but gives you a mess of interesting abilities and bonuses.
Bonuses spoiler'd for the unfamiliar
1) -4str, +8dex, +6int, +4wis,+6cha. Really good stats for everything but melee
2) 15+hd SR
3) DR 10/cold Iron
4) A wide variety of 1/day SLAs including every Detect Alignment
5) Magic arrows, Both sleep and memory loss. And they never say how you get the darn things
6) Fly speed 60'(good)
7) Greater invisibility at will as an (su)

So by going Pixie LA//Beguiler4 we have a decent level 4 gestalt character, but once you hit three, what do you want to run up the opposite side? Rogue seems natural but is too redundant, and is weak against beguiler's weakness of undead and constructs, factotum even more-so. Wizard and Sorcerer both also redundant (though less so). My current thoughts are Cleric, Paladin (24 charisma = saves like a BAMF, probably just the dip though), Totemist (it's reflexive by now, though little synergy here), Incarnate, or just stringing together dips to get some useful abilities (paladin 2, fighter2, Ranger2 etc.)

askandarion
2011-04-29, 04:17 PM
Tome of Battle's Crusader.

There, now that that's out of the way, my question is- are you looking to accentuate the pixie's strengths, or limit their weaknesses? It sounds like the latter. Offhand, paladin would be decent, especially emphasizing Charisma. But if I recall correctly, a beguiler's spellcasting is based off Int, right? Pixies aren't great at melee, so honestly hoping to counter a weakness to undead and constructs leaves wizard or cleric- or taking rogue and an ACF to SA undead from 30 feet away (or 60, with that PHB2 feat that extends SA range).

You could always do druid.

Tvtyrant
2011-04-29, 04:21 PM
Well depending on your stats... I would actually say Monk 2 (wisdom to AC, Evasion)/Cleric- with the Magic and Knowledge domains. Now you get a huge AC boost, Evasion, and the ability to act as a Batman by having pseudo-UMD and Bard knowledge.

Jallorn
2011-04-29, 04:23 PM
Warlock is a popular class to combine with the Pixie.

Lateral
2011-04-29, 04:25 PM
Factotum. Factotums have great mechanical synergy with any full caster, and great thematic synergy with a Beguiler. I have no idea why you think Factotums are weak against undead and constructs; the only ability they have that isn't just as useful on undead as anyone else is Cunning Strike, and Cunning Strike sucks anyway- Iaijutsu Focus affects undead and constructs too.

Alternatively, go Swordsage and take lots of counters and boosts. Hell, I'd probably do both- Factotum 8/ Swordsage X rocks in gestalt.

Cog
2011-04-29, 04:26 PM
A dip on the other side can take care of the limited spell list problem WRT undead/constructs. Sand Shaper gives you plenty of options, and now you don't even have to eat a lost caster level to get it.

Tokiko Mima
2011-04-29, 04:29 PM
You can never, ever go wrong with a pixie warlock. You already have Weapon Finesse(for use with Eldritch Glaive), and with your Dexterity applied to touch attacks plus the fact that you're invisible (depriving the unprepared from even DEX and Dodge bonuses) you will connect every round if you beat AC 10 or less.

The unlimited dimension door and dispel magic lesser invocations are also especially handy for a pixie.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-29, 10:47 PM
Forgot to add this to the original post, but no setting specific content (iaijutsu focus is oa).

Factotum is a great class, but with beguiler already being something of a skill monkey, the issue there is redundency, that being said with a 24 int (assuming base 18) that class gives insane bonuses.

Yes beguiler has int based casting, but given the +6 racial modifier to charisma, it would still be high enough for a good divine grace (and paladin of freedom keeps the inherant fey chaotic bent). Plus cha is good for beguilers since they have a lot of skills based on it.

Warlock is a clever option, this dude is loaded with SLAs any way. Eldritch glaive presents a fun option, especially when you only miss 5% of the time.

My default answer of totemist seems a bit out of place, both in fluff (why would a pixie manipulator care about the power of the wild), and mechanically.

I am currently thinking that ranger may have some good use given the fact that pixies can pull magic arrows out their backside. Imagine a flurry of sleep arrows. Doesn't work on undead, constructs , or elves though.

Greenish
2011-04-29, 11:58 PM
Forgot to add this to the original post, but no setting specific content (iaijutsu focus is oa).Oriental Adventures is not a setting. Rogukan is, but IF is not specific to Rogukan. :smallwink:

Darth Stabber
2011-04-30, 12:15 AM
Okay I will rephrase: no oriental adventures content, also nothing from any book with the following labels: Forgotten Realms, Eberron, Ravenloft, Planescape, Spelljammer, Dark Sun, Dragonlance, or Birthright. 3.5 setting inspecific only.

And yes my idea is to cover the weaknesses of beguilers. This is for a 2player game where the other player is a Drow Crusader//Paladin of Freedom/Binder.

Mayhem
2011-04-30, 12:31 AM
Warblade is tasty, you'll likely already have high concentration from beguiler so diamind mind would work and the d12 is very nice too. White raven can help out your drow mate so he can focus on melee more. Also warblade benefits from high int. There's a feat battlecaster in complete arcane that allows you to cast in armour one category heavier, so you'll be able to make use of medium armour.

My brother is currently playing a warblade/beguiler gestalt, and it's a monster.

Darth Stabber
2011-04-30, 04:13 AM
There's a feat battlecaster in complete arcane that allows you to cast in armour one category heavier, so you'll be able to make use of medium armour.

With +8 dex from race alone, you can't get much benefit from anything but light, so that is a real waste of a feat. The warblade suggestion isn't bad, but if you are going to take a ToB class for boosts swordsage seems the better call, though the power of iron heart surge is alluring.